Parts 1 & 2 - My log has a message for you & The stars turn and a time presents itself (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

MoondogJR
RR Diner Member

Re: Parts 1 + 2 (Spoilers)

Post by MoondogJR »

Two reviews of the first two episodes:

- Volkskrant (dutch): http://www.volkskrant.nl/film/david-lyn ... ntent=free

- BBC Culture (english): http://www.bbc.com/culture/story/201705 ... ocid=fbcul
"Your log and I are on the same page."
Another owl

Post by Another owl »

For me, the lack of a proper score is the main reason that many os us didn`t feel like Twin Peaks. If you got Badalamenti, why not use him?
Driftwood
RR Diner Member

Post by Driftwood »

MoondogJR wrote:BBC Culture (english): http://www.bbc.com/culture/story/201705 ... ocid=fbcul
"He’s still dreaming of Laura’s promise to see him 25 years later, long after most of us have lost interest in who killed her. (Even those of us who watched might have to look up the answer online, so unmemorable was the reveal.)"

uhhhh
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

I've already been toying with the idea of making a fan cut with Badalamenti music.
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
sackboy97
Roadhouse Member

Post by sackboy97 »

Driftwood wrote:
MoondogJR wrote:BBC Culture (english): http://www.bbc.com/culture/story/201705 ... ocid=fbcul
"He’s still dreaming of Laura’s promise to see him 25 years later, long after most of us have lost interest in who killed her. (Even those of us who watched might have to look up the answer online, so unmemorable was the reveal.)"

uhhhh
If that was unmemorable, I want to watch what he is watching. Must be really good.
hopesfall
RR Diner Member

Post by hopesfall »

sackboy97 wrote:
Driftwood wrote:

uhhhh
If that was unmemorable, I want to watch what he is watching. Must be really good.
My issue is that the reviewer thinks it's all in Cooper's head, and it is all a dream.
akmonday

Post by akmonday »

Another owl wrote:For me, the lack of a proper score is the main reason that many os us didn`t feel like Twin Peaks. If you got Badalamenti, why not use him?
this is a good question; obviously not having his score is a deliberate choice. AFAIK he is still credited as 'composer' and it was widely hyped that he was returning; even if he didn't have time to write and record new stuff, they could have used 50% of the old musical cues if not all of them. So the choice seems deliberate. I will note that there is a swell in a later episode and I wonder if it will increasingly come back in as the story coalesces and comes together; but I'm not sure, that seems a little too on the nose for Lynch.
dkenny78
RR Diner Member

Post by dkenny78 »

I went back and rewatched the first two Parts and my theory is that the opening scene does in fact take place in the White Lodge. When the Giant says "it is in our house now," I think what he's saying is that the evil of BOB, Evil Coop, etc., which has previously been confined to the Black Lodge and the real world, is now in danger of infecting the White Lodge. My guess is that this scene takes place way further in the future than the main events of the parts we've seen. I'm thinking that, at some point down the line, we revisit this scene - perhaps right before Cooper and his doppleganger confront each other for the final time.
Another owl

Post by Another owl »

akmonday wrote:
Another owl wrote:For me, the lack of a proper score is the main reason that many os us didn`t feel like Twin Peaks. If you got Badalamenti, why not use him?
this is a good question; obviously not having his score is a deliberate choice. AFAIK he is still credited as 'composer' and it was widely hyped that he was returning; even if he didn't have time to write and record new stuff, they could have used 50% of the old musical cues if not all of them. So the choice seems deliberate. I will note that there is a swell in a later episode and I wonder if it will increasingly come back in as the story coalesces and comes together; but I'm not sure, that seems a little too on the nose for Lynch.
Hope you`re right about come back of the score as the story coalesces and comes together.
Hockey Mask
RR Diner Member

Post by Hockey Mask »

Soolsma wrote:I've already been toying with the idea of making a fan cut with Badalamenti music.
You can swing by the church of Santuario de Misericordia in Borja, Spain and touch up the fresco while you're at it.
Driftwood
RR Diner Member

Post by Driftwood »

hopesfall wrote:
sackboy97 wrote:
Driftwood wrote: "He’s still dreaming of Laura’s promise to see him 25 years later, long after most of us have lost interest in who killed her. (Even those of us who watched might have to look up the answer online, so unmemorable was the reveal.)"

uhhhh
My issue is that the reviewer thinks it's all in Cooper's head, and it is all a dream.
well you had to know it'd take 2 seconds for that fan theory to hit no matter what actually happened in the show
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

Hockey Mask wrote:
Soolsma wrote:I've already been toying with the idea of making a fan cut with Badalamenti music.
You can swing by the church of Santuario de Misericordia in Borja, Spain and touch up the fresco while you're at it.
Oooh blasphemy!! Seriously, I think it wouldn't hurt anyone and probably be fun to do. Not sure how to exactly take your pun here.
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
Hockey Mask
RR Diner Member

Post by Hockey Mask »

Agreed. Probably wouldn't hurt anyone and would be fun to do. I'd hold off and see how Lynch's version pans out. I'm guessing he's got something up his sleeve.
Normonaut
Roadhouse Member

Post by Normonaut »

Is nobody talking about the "clues" given by the giant at the very beginning? Seems like it should be important, although we don't have much to go on.
Agent Cooper. Listen to the sounds.
It is in our house now. It all can not be said aloud now.
Remember 4 - 3 - 0
Richard and Linda. Two birds with one stone.
You are far away.
riesje
Roadhouse Member

Post by riesje »

people are too busy complaining