Parts 1 & 2 - My log has a message for you & The stars turn and a time presents itself (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

The Jumping Man
RR Diner Member

Re: Parts 1 + 2 (Spoilers)

Post by The Jumping Man »

People can make their own points and comments without suggesting those who disagree are deluded.
StrangerDanger
RR Diner Member

Post by StrangerDanger »

StrangerDanger wrote:
N. Needleman wrote:
StrangerDanger wrote:Totally understand if MJA flew off the handle when he was given the news that he would be replaced with a tree.
I'm pretty sure that idea only came about after MJA abruptly walked away.
Yes l had thought that, hence "if MJA ...." But it seems strange that the seedling was there on Juliee Cruise's album. I wonder who came up with the artwork.

https://www.discogs.com/Julee-Cruise-Th ... ase/378317
"Artwork – David Lynch, Tom Recchion "
leeeET's ROCK!
[ I've permanently left the forum ... Dugpa is a dodgy name, plus l'm too busy. Keep the :?: :idea: ]
Chester Desmond
Roadhouse Member

Post by Chester Desmond »

N. Needleman wrote:It's okay for us to disagree. That being said:
Chester Desmond wrote:For those of you enjoying The Return so far, that's great I am happy for you, this isn't meant for you and isn't an insult to daddy Lynch.
Chester Desmond wrote:David Lynch is my "daddy" too, but sometimes daddy makes a mistake and this is one.
David Lynch isn't my anything. This is incredibly patronizing and condescending. Stop doing it.
Please read again:
this isn't meant for you
Hang loose, Houlies
Chester Desmond
Roadhouse Member

Post by Chester Desmond »

The Jumping Man wrote:People can make their own points and comments without suggesting those who disagree are deluded.
Agree completely.

Everyone has an opinion, no one is "wrong".
Hang loose, Houlies
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

You can say that, but that's not how those other remarks read to other people.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
The Jumping Man
RR Diner Member

Post by The Jumping Man »

Agree completely.
You don't seem to agree at all. That was in response to your "Emperor's New Clothes" comment.
OneEyedJack
Roadhouse Member

Post by OneEyedJack »

The Jumping Man wrote:People can make their own points and comments without suggesting those who disagree are deluded.
I love the passion! And I can see where some of you are let down.

But let's remember: KEEP YOUR EYE ON THE DONUT, NOT THE HOLE

We still have Hank, Carl Rodd, etc to meet. Fat Trout! Lots more to discover. The world is a big place and beyond Twin Peaks but it will all return there somehow. There is a long way to go here. And what do you know? The Frost book actually does seem increasingly connected despite claims otherwise.

Chester et al : You owe it to yourselves to soak in all 18 parts. Don't give up on it yet.
Mairzy
Roadhouse Member

Post by Mairzy »

Chester Desmond wrote:
Mairzy wrote:Seriously, Chester Desmond, you just equated your disappointment with TP3 by comparing it with finding out your father or any of our fathers are child molesters.

I found your rejection of the series an interesting read but you are at the bottom of the barrel with this remark.
Oh well. That is how I feel, your feelings on the matter don't change how I feel. I feel betrayed in the same manner.
Fair enough. I really hope you can find enjoyment as the series progresses.
StrangerDanger
RR Diner Member

Post by StrangerDanger »

And now l know that LAURA wasn't intending for me to drink bottles of wine for 25 years. It was a sapling not a bottle ("Meanwhile ..."). That coupled with the artwork for "The Voice of Love" ( https://www.discogs.com/Julee-Cruise-Th ... ase/378317 ) makes me wonder if Lynch had always intended for MFAP to be replaced with Tree, and of course there's the ancient lore about the Forbidden Tree, the Serpent, the Pharaoh's magicians' staffs turning into snakes, and the sibilant Tree in Series 3.
leeeET's ROCK!
[ I've permanently left the forum ... Dugpa is a dodgy name, plus l'm too busy. Keep the :?: :idea: ]
sylviecerise
Roadhouse Member

Post by sylviecerise »

sycamore wrote:listen to the sounds. - does anyone have the technology to play these sounds backwards and could try to identify them? other sounds in the waiting room / lodge occur backwards (like laura's footsteps when she's walking).
Someone on reddit came up with a good theory. It has episode 3/4 spoilers.
Spoiler:
He analyzed it against the slot machine sound and it matches almost exactly. https://www.reddit.com/r/twinpeaks/comm ... =twinpeaks
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

Chester Desmond wrote:
Mairzy wrote:Seriously, Chester Desmond, you just equated your disappointment with TP3 by comparing it with finding out your father or any of our fathers are child molesters.

I found your rejection of the series an interesting read but you are at the bottom of the barrel with this remark.
Oh well. That is how I feel, your feelings on the matter don't change how I feel.
You can feel however you want to about your experience. Putting it on ours (or our families) is another issue.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

One thing I would like to know, if a fair poll could be taken, is what percentage of die hard fans like us love the new series as much as the old. It seems the large majority of us are embracing the new show, but among those that are either not liking it at all or not fully embracing it) are some very frequent posters and even admin members who have been on this board a long time.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Mallard
RR Diner Member

Post by Mallard »

OneEyedJack wrote:Chester et al : You owe it to yourselves to soak in all 18 parts. Don't give up on it yet.
He mentioned that he's watched each part 3 times already. I'm guessing he'll find a way to stagger through. He's just got his own MO - "Modus Operandi."
Welcome...to the third...place.
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Sam Stanley »

KillerBOB wrote:
Agent Sam Stanley wrote: And I don't understand the concept of the Lodge inhabitants aging. I get that Cooper would, but the spirits? Hopefully it will be cleared up in later eps.
Well, Mike isn't exactly a spirit. But I think a bigger question than Leland and Laura's aging is why are they there to begin with? Both should have crossed over into the White Lodge decades ago.
You mean Phillip Gerard (Al Strobel)? I agree, he's Mike's host and he was still alive last time we saw him, but we don't know what happened to him in the last 25 years. But assuming he's a human being inside the Lodge like Cooper, then it makes sense he would age. But Laura and Leland are spirits, I don't get the fact that they look older. Especially since in the 25 years later dream from ep 2, Cooper looks old but Laura is still young.
BOB1
RR Diner Member

Post by BOB1 »

Agent327 wrote:But in terms of caring for the characters, it hasn't been a priority for Lynch in what we've seen so far.
I'm not sure if I understood you correctly - if you say it hasn't been a priority for Lynch in his previous films, I totally disagree but that seems to be way off-topic, so let's leave it.
If you say it hasn't been a priority in this new Twin Peaks, well clearly it hasn't. Yet it remains priority for me because for me film as a medium is above all about identification. After the first two parts, I don't find anything to identify with at all.

Therefore...
counterpaul wrote:I'd like to respond to this because I immediately, from that glove moment on, fell totally in love with Constance and Dave. I really hope we haven't seen the last of them. Both performances are beautifully understated (and I can imagine some people saying that Dave comes off as "wooden," but I would completely disagree--he's just not a very demonstrative guy) and hint at real depth. I also thought the "uh-oh" guy was great--there's real shock and sadness behind those uh-oh's.

In fact, I think the whole Buckhorn section has tremendous worth all on its own. I want to talk about the arrest and interrogation scenes. They completely crackle! I mean, we've all seen a million arrest/interrogation scenes in a million procedural cop shows/movies, but these scenes are special because they're not at all about solving a crime--they're about being part of an unavoidable machine. From the moment the prints come up as Bill's, there's a specific, intimate heaviness to the police officers' jobs. Hell, Dave's in almost as much pain as Bill--THAT'S what these scenes are about. By the way, the cops in Buckhorn are by far the most competent officers we've seen in Twin Peaks (and, yes, I'm including Harry and Coop in this)--they do their jobs by god, professionally and methodically. It's actually really nice to see--just the competence of it.

Both performances in that interrogation scene are beautifully measured and quite moving, and when Dave has to take Bill to his cell, it's devastating. Again, they're both part of a machine--for Dave, a totally necessary machine, but just because he can tell himself he's doing the right thing, that doesn't make it any easier--despite a lifetime of friendship.

Matthew Lillard is rightfully getting a lot of praise, but take a real look at what's behind Brent Briscoe's eyes. It's great work.

So, how's that?
Well that's great and I'm happy for you. However I must say that I had no idea who Constance and Dave were when I first saw this post. Your post reminds me of Dave but I still don't remember Constance. And I've seen the first part twice. Sorry, it just didn't catch my attention, all of it :(

My friend, whom I mentioned before, wrote a big text in Polish about how he felt. I'm not going to translate all of it but some issues perhaps are worth quoting as the critical voices here are rather minority.
He starts with how much of a crazed fan he is, how obsessed he was with the come back of Twin Peaks and so on... well that's nothing new for most of us here, so let's go on ;-)
Then he writes that he's not even disappointed... rather sad.
1) He loved the Twin Peaks uncanny, weird mood, with dark things creeping under the surface, not the permanent schizo-trippy darkness all around... he calls the film threatening, unpleasant and irritating.
2) He loved the Twin Peaks colours - warm and woody. Instead he gets a world drawn in cold and dirty colours, a world of metal and glass.
3) Lack of music - he says he sees that it is an intentional thing but is unable to understand the motives of such a decision (neither am I!!!).
4) Characters - more or less what I wrote, too. They used to be interesting from the first scenes, while here they either repell him or leave him indifferent.
5) Lack of magic - he loved the way the evil in old Twin Peaks was portrayed as primitive, originating from the woods. On the other hand here it seems to be more of technological evil. Like, we used to have owls, now we have cameras.
6) Locations - OK, that's pure sentiment, but he obviously doesn't appreciate the variety of locations. Snoqualmie all he way! (he travelled there 2 or 3 times and it's a long way from Poland...)
7) No humour whatsoever.

I basically agree with all above.
Last edited by BOB1 on Tue May 23, 2017 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bobi 1 Kenobi

B. Beware
O. Of
B. BOB