Parts 1 & 2 - My log has a message for you & The stars turn and a time presents itself (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

KillerBOB
Roadhouse Member

Re: Parts 1 + 2 (Spoilers)

Post by KillerBOB »

santoantonium wrote:Don't know if anyone already commented on this, but is it just me or there was something a little off about Sheryl Lee's performance in the Red Room scene? I love her and was really anxious to see her, but something about her delivery and movements put me off a little bit. For example, It seemed as if she didn't put too much effort in learning her lines backwards again, and it felt kind of sloppy. Everybody else does a great job talking backwards, except her.
I noticed this as well. Definitely not an age issue considering the actor who plays the giant is much older and his lines sounded fine.
Si78
RR Diner Member

Post by Si78 »

Am I crazy? After Box Boy says his line about the mysterious billionaire, a sound of a horn happens - and to me it sounds like the first note of the FWWM theme...
sackboy97
Roadhouse Member

Post by sackboy97 »

Does anyone else think that Cooper might have been talking to Mike on the phone? The line "I will be with Bob again" sounds like something he would say.
GateWontClose

Post by GateWontClose »

For anyone eager to recapture the spirit of Twin Peaks, at least the spirit of FWWM.
Mute this video and play the main theme of FWWM, and do it in the dark. It's pure magic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ia7RfacWglc
boske
Great Northern Member

Post by boske »

I have only seen parts 1 and 2, twice thus far. It took the second viewing to appreciate it even more, I found them brilliant. I did expect the Return to be darker and it was. Now, what really captured my imagination were the color tones/palettes of the different scenes. New York City, very high-tech and full of electricity (!), South Dakota as a contemporary Baby-Boom generation Americana with their middle-class lifestyle and pitfalls.

We did not see much of Vegas this time around, but the scene where we first see Ray and Darya was purposely colored in ground/soil tones, brownish, dark. The faces and postures of everybody in that scene are grotesque, borderline diabolical, even Ray's and Darya's, pay attention. And Cooper in snake-skin shirt and leather. So here we are definitely dealing with the serpent of old that crawls the ground. These may well all be some sort of lodge spirits.

However, if one goes back to the NYC scene, the walls inside the building, as well as its facade mind you, have the same palette: brownish. So that building could represent something primeval in a modern city, something from the subconscious that yet can open itself with the aid of modern technology. Something out of place in NYC, neglected, yet very important. The security guard also has a grotesque face, that seems to be a connection between the two places, we may see something there later on perhaps.

Copper double acting by Kyle was awesome. And it mirrors some of the original Cooper: "I do not need things, I want things" compared to the pilot's (I believe) message to Bobby Briggs "here we ask questions, and you answer them"! It was similar in tone, but the new one was definitely sinister although the original one had traces of it in it. It was interesting watching evil Coop walking and drinking coffee, he is back, but he is obviously not the same, just like the show itself.

I am looking forward to parts 3 and 4 and beyond. The only thing that I am not fully on terms yet is the Tree, I am hoping it evolves more as the show progresses, there has to be some hidden logic and meaning here that we have not yet, so I expect there will be some sort of a revelation there. I mean, I can accept it as it is already, but hopefully it will evolve more.

The ending with the song in the bar was magnificent, felt like reaching an oasis in the desert, a place to rest and recollect what we have been through. Calm away from storm. Chances are something comes that way too, a storm that will engulf the town itself again.

For those of us who have waited 25 years to see this, it was worth it. What a journey!
Sidgwick
Roadhouse Member

Post by Sidgwick »

Not sure if this has been mentioned - but the charred, blackened spectre in the jail cell could be Frank Collison. Maybe I'm overthinking it. I can think of little else.
MoondogJR
RR Diner Member

Post by MoondogJR »

KillerBOB wrote:
lotjx2 wrote: No one does til Lynch explains why or it is connected in the show.
But does Lynch himself even know the answer? I just read that he didn't rewatch the old series before sitting down to co-write the new ones. I find that incredibly disheartening, although it helps explain why this all feels so different from the original series. My only hope is that Frost reigned him in whenever he would contradict canon.
SpookyDollhouse wrote: 1.) This wasn't made for basic cable consumption
Neither was The Sopranos, but look at what happened there. Twin Peaks has aired on basic cable since its original airing, so it would be nice if this new season could as well. Maybe there's a way they can cut around Madeline Zima's breasts and buttocks without missing any of the alien/demon stuff, I don't know.
2.) The nudity isn't unprecedented for a Lynch work and isn't gratuitous
I think it's gratuitous in that monster could have attacked while they were just making out partially clothed and it would have made no difference. This is just my opinion, but that would have made it easier for it to one day air on, say, The CW (which CBS co-owns).
Waw, I'm shocked that this nude scene would be a problem in the US to show on cable.
"Your log and I are on the same page."
MoondogJR
RR Diner Member

Post by MoondogJR »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:There's absolutely nothing about the pale horse's appearance that contradicts what came before. Why shouldn't it be both Sarah's go-to drug trip vision and a Lodge totem? First of all, as people have pointed out, it's a symbol of death that predates the Bible; certainly sounds like it could be part of the Lodge mythology to me (and an essay could probably be written on Sarah's willful ignorance and the fact that she finds the pale horse comforting rather than terrifying). Second, it appears to Sarah when BOB is present. Maybe in Sarah's case it acts as a harbinger of Lodge presence; or maybe, the Lodge (which we know feeds off human pain and fear -- but quite possibly also positive emotions like love, per Briggs -- may have ingested Sarah's odd combination of horror/grief/peacefulness represented by her mental image of the pale horse and incorporated it into the Lodge's ever-changing face). It doesn't take much imagination to see how Sarah's vision and the appearance of the horse in the Return could be reconciled.

Contrast that with the way that Bob in the original series -- and especially FWWM and TSDoLP -- acts simultaneously as literal Lodge spirit seen by many characters and as metaphorical masking/denial mechanism for both Laura and Leland. TP has a history of mixing the metaphorical and the literal in a way that makes very little sense logically, but feels entirely right intuitively.
This!
"Your log and I are on the same page."
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Insofar as anyone thinks the backwards-speak was less well-done this time (I didn't notice), keep in mind that MJA had been speaking phonetically backwards since high school, and acted as onset coach to the actors in the original show. Maybe DKL and everyone else on set just aren't quite as good at it.
douglasb
RR Diner Member

Post by douglasb »

Cast also probably didn't get their lines much in advance - and even if they did, did the script specifically say 'Learn these lines backwards'?
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

douglasb wrote:Cast also probably didn't get their lines much in advance - and even if they did, did the script specifically say 'Learn these lines backwards'?
They also got the Episode 29 lines pretty late though -- I believe a lot was improvised on set per Carel Struycken?
Bob_Dobbs_Blue_Bob
Roadhouse Member

Post by Bob_Dobbs_Blue_Bob »

I just watched S3-1 and I have to say - FUCK it's nice to see Lynch back! (I was worried after IE, which I found to be a big let down.) Not only does DKL still have it as a filmmaker, but I think he's better than ever! I can see how he's grown in his technique and some of the things in Part 1 have been amazing and mind-blowing. Loved the FX and animations. He also revisits old motifs and expands on them (such as the tree/arm thing, which goes back to some of his earliest work with trees in The Grandmother, and the arm thing reminds me of the Eraserhead baby). Loved what he did with the red curtains/Black Lodge and adding new things to them. It was a bit of a shock to see how some of the actors look now, after all this time, but that fades fast. Over all, I think Part 1 is a big success! As others have said, the ending was beautiful. Whew, I am very relieved and happy with it! Can't wait to watch the rest of the new episodes!
"Now it's dark....."
Bob_Dobbs_Blue_Bob
Roadhouse Member

mtwentz wrote:The first 30 minutes, I was not convinced.

By the end, I was almost crying: LYNCH IS BACK!
Same here! So great to see him doing what he does best, finally! And we've got 18 hours of it! Unreal, so great!
"Now it's dark....."
Bob_Dobbs_Blue_Bob
Roadhouse Member

djsunyc wrote:wow - this is the weirdest thing that's been on tv in...25 years? lol.

confused as heck about all the red room stuff but now we see how we can swap out coop + dopplecoop.
Yes, and thank goodness - some of the weirdest stuff ever, I've missed it!

Really enjoying the coop + dopplecoop stuff....amazing....!
"Now it's dark....."
anthoto1
Roadhouse Member

Post by anthoto1 »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YdJ8yc ... e=youtu.be

Has this been posted before ? The glass box scene reminded me exactly of TSHO[/url]TP scene. Glad to see I wasn't crazy. :D