Parts 1 & 2 - My log has a message for you & The stars turn and a time presents itself (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Re: Parts 1 + 2 (Spoilers)

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

NewtoTwinPeaks wrote:Is it a tree or nervous system?

I think The One-Armed Man (Mike) is a spirit, but the question is why does he look the same as Philip Gerard?
The interesting thing is that DKL has obvious paid a lot of of attention to how character names appear in the credits....and Strobel has consistently been credited as "Phillip Gerard" in the Return.
NewtoTwinPeaks
Roadhouse Member

Post by NewtoTwinPeaks »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:
NewtoTwinPeaks wrote:Is it a tree or nervous system?

I think The One-Armed Man (Mike) is a spirit, but the question is why does he look the same as Philip Gerard?
The interesting thing is that DKL has obvious paid a lot of of attention to how character names appear in the credits....and Strobel has consistently been credited as "Phillip Gerard" in the Return.
Interesting, wasn't aware of that.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Re: Parts 1 + 2 (SPOILERS)

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Considering that (so far) DoppelCoop seems to be very much his own man despite how we saw him last (inhabited by Bob) in Episode 29, maybe inhabiting spirits sometimes become irrevocably fused with their hosts under certain circumstances. Perhaps, just as Mike eventually moved on from whatever earlier form he had to resemble his host, we're now seeing Bob undergo the same transformation?
Last edited by Mr. Reindeer on Wed May 24, 2017 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
musicaddict
RR Diner Member

Post by musicaddict »

I have not read every single post thoroughly so apologies if this has already been mentioned but in the scene in the black lodge where Laura kisses Dale I can hear the word "whisper" being said and then as she leans in to whisper in his ear there is a slight murmur and I can hear "when the stars turn.."
StrangerDanger
RR Diner Member

Post by StrangerDanger »

Cappy wrote:Wow, I never realized what she was trying to signify there. Is this stated in the captions or the shooting script..?
Neither. I read on a forum somewhere, a few years ago, that it could be a tree sapling. Since then, nothing. Only now do we see it was indeed a tree sapling.

By the way, check this excellent post:
http://www.twinpeaksgazette.com/communi ... 8.cfm.html
"3) Meanwhile: Also seen during the waiting room sequence, and accompanied by the words "meanwhile". The gesture is later mirrored by the "doppelganger Laura" during Cooper’s Black Lodge test, before she starts to scream hysterically. The exact meaning of the sign is controversial, but allegedly refers to a vedic mudra meaning "do not fear". Other theories suggest that she is holding an imaginary object, like a picture, a vase, or (my interpretation) perhaps a pillow. The pose looks similar to that of a person asleep holding their pillow, but upright. It is interesting that Laura makes the sign after saying "I'll see you in 25 years". It has been suggested that the sign foreshadows what Cooper will experience in between, that is, being trapped inside the Red Room, or as Jeffries puts it: "living inside a dream"."
leeeET's ROCK!
[ I've permanently left the forum ... Dugpa is a dodgy name, plus l'm too busy. Keep the :?: :idea: ]
StrangerDanger
RR Diner Member

Post by StrangerDanger »

musicaddict wrote: I can hear "when the stars turn.."
That's the name given to one of the Parts of Series 3 that we've seen, right? What does it mean?
leeeET's ROCK!
[ I've permanently left the forum ... Dugpa is a dodgy name, plus l'm too busy. Keep the :?: :idea: ]
Coffee
Roadhouse Member

Post by Coffee »

musicaddict wrote:I have not read every single post thoroughly so apologies if this has already been mentioned but in the scene in the black lodge where Laura kisses Dale I can hear the word "whisper" being said and then as she leans in to whisper in his ear there is a slight murmur and I can hear "when the stars turn.."
Yes I noticed "whisper" too -- I chalked it up to a direction accidentally being caught. But surely not, with Lynch being such a perfectionist?
The Marquis
Roadhouse Member

Post by The Marquis »

Coffee wrote:
musicaddict wrote:I have not read every single post thoroughly so apologies if this has already been mentioned but in the scene in the black lodge where Laura kisses Dale I can hear the word "whisper" being said and then as she leans in to whisper in his ear there is a slight murmur and I can hear "when the stars turn.."
Yes I noticed "whisper" too -- I chalked it up to a direction accidentally being caught. But surely not, with Lynch being such a perfectionist?
I wouldn't put it past Lynch to just have the word "whisper" be audible by design and mean nothing more than what it is.
Methedrome
Roadhouse Member

Post by Methedrome »

I heard the word 'whisper' as well the first time I watched it (as separated episodes 1 and 2) and for some reason not on the second watch when I saw it as the 2 hour premier edit.
I'll have to check again and see if there was indeed a difference between the two.
Esselgee
RR Diner Member

Post by Esselgee »

I just listened to EW Radio talking about these parts. A caller thought that the dead red headed woman who was missing an eye was Nadine.
WhiteLodge90
RR Diner Member
Location: You're on the path. you don't need to know where it leads. just follow.

Post by WhiteLodge90 »

Coffee wrote:Another thing I've been thinking about...

When Lynch/Frost created Twin Peaks, soap operas where the "in" thing. S1/S2 went great lengths to lampoon, subvert and include the trappings of those soap operas.

Well the television landscape has altered and "long form storytelling" has replaced the soap as the favoured form of scripted television with the masses.

This change is reflected in the new show.

The soap opera trappings are gone. Lynch/Frost have completely altered the chassis of the show.

I could see them going great lengths to lampoon, subvert and include the trappings of modern "long form storytelling".

Breaking Bad S1 felt like it moved at a snails pace. BB didn't take hold until S3 as that's when the shows storytelling began to develop things and demonstrate what the show was about -- word of mouth spread and the showings streaming numbers went through the roof.

I'd say TPS3 is moving at a quarter of the speed of BBS1! So Lynch/Frost are definitely having fun with genre and our expectations of it.

Just don't go into the new show and expect the soap elements anymore.

In fact I think one scene in Part 4 lampooned the soap elements of S1/2.

While this is well thought out I highly doubt Lynch/Frost are doing this pacing to make fun of or parody modern TV. I think this is what Lynch has been doing his whole career. Look at the waiter in the opening of season 2 or the bank teller in the final for examples.
The milk will get cool on you pretty soon.
BEARisonFord
RR Diner Member

Post by BEARisonFord »

WhiteLodge90 wrote: While this is well thought out I highly doubt Lynch/Frost are doing this pacing to make fun of or parody modern TV. I think this is what Lynch has been doing his whole career. Look at the waiter in the opening of season 2 or the bank teller in the final for examples.
Concur. I think there's a lot of wishful thinking disguised within over explaining and rationalization to reconcile some of the choices Lynch/Frost have (or haven't) made.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

BEARisonFord wrote:
WhiteLodge90 wrote: While this is well thought out I highly doubt Lynch/Frost are doing this pacing to make fun of or parody modern TV. I think this is what Lynch has been doing his whole career. Look at the waiter in the opening of season 2 or the bank teller in the final for examples.
Concur. I think there's a lot of wishful thinking disguised within over explaining and rationalization to reconcile some of the choices Lynch/Frost have (or haven't) made.
I've noticed that the pacing seems a little trying on the first watch, but on the re-watches, I just love the pacing. In fact, sometimes it might even be a little fast for me (maybe it's just because I want certain scenes to last longer).
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Coffee
Roadhouse Member

Post by Coffee »

WhiteLodge90 wrote:
Coffee wrote:Another thing I've been thinking about...

When Lynch/Frost created Twin Peaks, soap operas where the "in" thing. S1/S2 went great lengths to lampoon, subvert and include the trappings of those soap operas.

Well the television landscape has altered and "long form storytelling" has replaced the soap as the favoured form of scripted television with the masses.

This change is reflected in the new show.

The soap opera trappings are gone. Lynch/Frost have completely altered the chassis of the show.

I could see them going great lengths to lampoon, subvert and include the trappings of modern "long form storytelling".

Breaking Bad S1 felt like it moved at a snails pace. BB didn't take hold until S3 as that's when the shows storytelling began to develop things and demonstrate what the show was about -- word of mouth spread and the showings streaming numbers went through the roof.

I'd say TPS3 is moving at a quarter of the speed of BBS1! So Lynch/Frost are definitely having fun with genre and our expectations of it.

Just don't go into the new show and expect the soap elements anymore.

In fact I think one scene in Part 4 lampooned the soap elements of S1/2.

While this is well thought out I highly doubt Lynch/Frost are doing this pacing to make fun of or parody modern TV. I think this is what Lynch has been doing his whole career. Look at the waiter in the opening of season 2 or the bank teller in the final for examples.
I wasn't referring to the pacing of the scenes (trademark Lynch) but rather the progression of the story.

Sorry if you think I'm over rationalising, genuinely loving the show (so far) and am shocked at the backlash and negativity on here. Might give the forum a break for a while.
BEARisonFord
RR Diner Member

Post by BEARisonFord »

mtwentz wrote: I've noticed that the pacing seems a little trying on the first watch, but on the re-watches, I just love the pacing. In fact, sometimes it might even be a little fast for me (maybe it's just because I want certain scenes to last longer).
Yep, I love the pacing too. It's very much in line with Fire Walk With Me, Lost Highway and Mulholland Drive. I also did a re-watch and was surprised at how quick they went. My girlfriend however, who is less of a Lynch fan, thought they dragged so... there ya go.