Parts 1 & 2 - My log has a message for you & The stars turn and a time presents itself (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Elad Repooc
Roadhouse Member

Re: Parts 1 + 2 (SPOILERS)

Post by Elad Repooc »

My main thoughts and feelings after watching Parts 1 & 2, in list form:
  • I really enjoyed it, but came away with my head spinning and feeling a bit unsettled by it.
    It was slow to begin with, but it picked up as it went along.
    I noticed some bad quality special effects, but wondered if those were intentional.
    It's clear David Lynch is using this as an opportunity to do 100% what he wants.
    I really enjoyed Evil Cooper.
    I enjoyed that it was different to S1 & S2.
    If it had been too similar to the original, that would have been disappointing (been there, done that).
    I'm excited that Lynch is able to make what is essentially a very long film cut into parts.
To anyone who was particularly disappointed:
  • S1 & S2 were far from perfect.
    Lynch only directed 6 out of the 30 previous episodes.
    Most of S1 & S2 was not Lynch.
    Have you seen Lynch's films?
    He had free reign to do what the hell he liked here.
    If it had been too much like S1 & S2, other people would have complained.
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

Elad Repooc wrote: To anyone who was particularly disappointed:
  • S1 & S2 were far from perfect.
    Lynch only directed 6 out of the 30 previous episodes.
    Most of S1 & S2 was not Lynch.
    Have you seen Lynch's films?
    He had free reign to do what the hell he liked here.
    If it had been too much like S1 & S2, other people would have complained.

Twin Peaks as we knew it till May the 21st of 2017 was not all Lynch, as you stated correctly. And - heated arguments about the merit of its certain segments that we may have - the blend worked somehow. Enough for it to not leave people's minds for 25+ years, anyhow (the fact that Lynch recently flipped the bird to 2/3 of the show doesn't change the fact one bit, it just makes it sad and painful for some of us suckers for its "sucky" aspects). What we're getting now, however, is all Lynch (if you exclude Mark Frost, who was seemingly just along for the ride). And, consequently, it's just not Twin Peaks we knew till May the 21st of 2017. Simple as that.

What I really don't get is, with so much fuss and fanfare made in regards to it being "one long movie divided into 18 parts", why not having it drop all at once Netflix-like? Lynch wanted a movie, and it's clear what he made really doesn't feel like a series - not structurally, not intellectually, not emotionally. So why the insistence on the producer's side to treat it like a series? It's just creates a whole lot of unnecessary confusion.
gladhand

Post by gladhand »

Agent Earle wrote:What we're getting now, however, is all Lynch (if you exclude Mark Frost, who was seemingly just along for the ride).
Not sure how you've got that impression on MF's contribution; Frost's Secret History Of Twin Peaks book is incredibly detailed and shows a real understanding of the TP themes and style. It's been widely reported that Lynch & Frost spent 3 years writing the new series.

Lynch has had very successful collaborations in the past, don't forget Barry Gifford co-wrote lost highway.

DL's best works are collaborations imo. Inland Empire could have done with a cowriter I think.
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

I meant the series, not Frost's book - of course he had something to do with the latter. As for the series (well, the movie), I see no signs of Frost's presence anywhere.
Metamorphia
RR Diner Member

Post by Metamorphia »

Agent Earle wrote:I meant the series, not Frost's book - of course he had something to do with the latter. As for the series (well, the movie), I see no signs of Frost's presence anywhere.
I'm not too familiar with Frost but the glass box and its sci-fi/X-Filesy overtones seem like something he had a big hand in. And Hawk's key involvement (coupled with the importance of his "heritage") also seems big Mark Frost.

Anyway, it's kinda amusing because if you dislike the new series you have to hold Frost and Lynch equally culpable - prior to S3 the critics always pointed to Lynch as the overbearingly weird one etc and Frost as the grounding force, whereas they've written this whole thing together an Frost was clearly completely content with it.
wxray
RR Diner Member

Post by wxray »

Agent Earle wrote: What I really don't get is, with so much fuss and fanfare made in regards to it being "one long movie divided into 18 parts", why not having it drop all at once Netflix-like? Lynch wanted a movie, and it's clear what he made really doesn't feel like a series - not structurally, not intellectually, not emotionally. So why the insistence on the producer's side to treat it like a series? It's just creates a whole lot of unnecessary confusion.
Because that's no fun when you've crafted a major mystery with probable upcoming huge twists, turns and reveals.

By now, TP would have been ruined for most of us because we are visiting forums like this to figure this thing out. Those who watched the full series would inevitably give too much away, even by accident.

Enjoy the ride. It is going to be one interesting summer.
baxter
Great Northern Member

Post by baxter »

The recent DKL interview posted in another thread is interesting, since he states that he followed the script very closely, and they both wrote that. The ~20% (his number) that changed was merely moving things round for better effect, etc. So Mark Frost's influence is all over the script.

I think this is obvious actually- it is very coherent so far. Much as there is dark and unsettling stuff in episodes 1 and 2, there is a clear story, you know what's happening, and you know roughly how it fits into the context of the TP that came before. There is some resemblance to Inland Empire, but certainly not in the narrative structure.
baxter
Great Northern Member

Post by baxter »

I rewatched 1 and 2 last night for the first time, and cleared of expectations, I found them very strong. (I liked them the first time, but there was too much to take in).
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

All the best stuff isn't easily digestible anyway, they take time to grow on you.
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
wxray
RR Diner Member

Post by wxray »

Soolsma wrote:All the best stuff isn't easily digestible anyway, they take time to grow on you.
Twin Peaks is TV fiber.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

I mentioned in the thread for Mark's book that I wonder if Warren Frost's suffering from Alzheimer's influenced the book's loose approach to continuity, almost as an externalization of memory loss. Having seen four parts of the new show, I think the themes so far of loss of identity and memory may also be very much Frost's. Of course, it's impossible to know for sure, but as has been said many times: those who reduce the Lynch/Frost dynamic to a right brain/left brain split are doing an injustice to both men. DKL can write straightforward narratives without a collaborator (see BV and the deceptively simple MD) while Frost has a whole lot of weird in him (as TSHoTP shows). DKL said the show comes 80% from the script, and there's no reason to believe the script wasn't a fully collaborative effort.
MasterMastermind
RR Diner Member

Post by MasterMastermind »

Remember, it was Mark who came up with the Lodges, inhabiting spirits, dugpas, Windom Earle, the dweller on the threshold, etc. He might be less visually abstract or surreal than Lynch but his ideas can be just as bizarre.
Harry S. Truman
RR Diner Member

Post by Harry S. Truman »

For me, the premiere has been beautiful!!! I love this new season!! It is incredible!!

One of the scenes that most likely me is when cooper arrive to glass box BEFORE of that the children be killed!! this scene happen in the series after of the death of the children!! Troubles with the timeline??
StrangerDanger
RR Diner Member

Post by StrangerDanger »

MasterMastermind wrote:Remember, it was Mark who came up with the Lodges, inhabiting spirits, dugpas, Windom Earle, the dweller on the threshold, etc. He might be less visually abstract or surreal than Lynch but his ideas can be just as bizarre.
Wow yes. As a relative TP amateur, l just blanket credit everything to Lynch but l do try to say "Lynch and Frost" because Frost, Engels, Peyton etc. figured large also, and as you pointed out, Frost was perhaps a greater contributor than Lynch.
leeeET's ROCK!
[ I've permanently left the forum ... Dugpa is a dodgy name, plus l'm too busy. Keep the :?: :idea: ]
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

The Phillip Jeffries/DoppelCoop otherworldly cloak-and-dagger conspiracy (the brief whiff we got of it) feels very Frost. Excited to see where that goes.