Parts 1 & 2 - My log has a message for you & The stars turn and a time presents itself (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Re: Parts 1 + 2 (SPOILERS)

Post by Soolsma »

But if Coop was simply possessed by BOB there wouldn't be much mystery left there to drive that narrative. Which I think is why they went down a different road.
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
Hockey Mask
RR Diner Member

Post by Hockey Mask »

beyondthesea wrote:Did anyone notice anything slightly amusing about Ashley Judd's lines? I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned it yet if they did. The first time she says 'How did the skunk get in her room', it definitely sounds like 'How did this c**t get in her room'.

Well to me it did. I can't unhear it now.
I've heard it all four times I've watched the scene. Had to be on purpose.
Normonaut
Roadhouse Member

Post by Normonaut »

Is it me, or are the cuts/scenes from 39:40 E2 (black lodge scenes, after Cooper can't open the drapes) out of order? There are several times Cooper walks in one direction along the curtains, then the camera angle shifts and he's suddenly walking straight across the room. The scene with Leland seems to be put in between two other scenes. The cut in 40:21 seems like it should continue at 41:20 (kinda creepy, looking at those time stamps)
That scene is also where he sees electricity and walks THROUGH the drapes without opening them. Into a "glitchy" room. Followed by MIKE's "Something's wrong" and The Arm "My doppelganger". The next scene is obviously when he finds the road and get NON-EXIST-ENTed out of there, to New York and into "space".
Agent Cooper. Listen to the sounds.
It is in our house now. It all can not be said aloud now.
Remember 4 - 3 - 0
Richard and Linda. Two birds with one stone.
You are far away.
wxray
RR Diner Member

Post by wxray »

Normonaut wrote:Is it me,
It is not just you. Something's Wrong.
Rudagger
RR Diner Member

Post by Rudagger »

Normonaut wrote:Is it me, or are the cuts/scenes from 39:40 E2 (black lodge scenes, after Cooper can't open the drapes) out of order? There are several times Cooper walks in one direction along the curtains, then the camera angle shifts and he's suddenly walking straight across the room. The scene with Leland seems to be put in between two other scenes. The cut in 40:21 seems like it should continue at 41:20 (kinda creepy, looking at those time stamps)
That scene is also where he sees electricity and walks THROUGH the drapes without opening them. Into a "glitchy" room. Followed by MIKE's "Something's wrong" and The Arm "My doppelganger". The next scene is obviously when he finds the road and get NON-EXIST-ENTed out of there, to New York and into "space".
Quite plausible. I wouldn't necessarily read a whole lot into it though, reorganization of scenes and shots happens surprisingly frequently in editing.
bob_wooler
RR Diner Member

Post by bob_wooler »

beyondthesea wrote:Did anyone notice anything slightly amusing about Ashley Judd's lines? I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned it yet if they did. The first time she says 'How did the skunk get in her room', it definitely sounds like 'How did this c**t get in her room'.

Well to me it did. I can't unhear it now.
Another thing, this skunk business reminded me also about the frequent calls from Josie to the Sheriff's station (in S1) about the racoons breaking in (or whatever it was), a smokescreen for J's and Trumans secret meetings. Maybe there's something shady going on here as well?
Venus
RR Diner Member

Post by Venus »

Soolsma wrote:But if Coop was simply possessed by BOB there wouldn't be much mystery left there to drive that narrative. Which I think is why they went down a different road.
I think BOB1's idea above your post quoted is great and would have lent more mystery and fear to the plot. I think your quote above does Lynch/Frost a disservice as they are both clever enough to have used BOB1's idea as a starting point and construct a whole new story around it, if they had wanted to.
When Jupiter and Saturn meet...
MasterMastermind
RR Diner Member

Post by MasterMastermind »

Has anyone said if that's a bonsai tree in the room in New York?
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

TIL The woman who plays Ruth davenport is Lynch's wife
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

Venus wrote:
Soolsma wrote:But if Coop was simply possessed by BOB there wouldn't be much mystery left there to drive that narrative. Which I think is why they went down a different road.
I think BOB1's idea above your post quoted is great and would have lent more mystery and fear to the plot. I think your quote above does Lynch/Frost a disservice as they are both clever enough to have used BOB1's idea as a starting point and construct a whole new story around it, if they had wanted to.
Neither do I think that BOB1's post isn't good, nor that Frost and Lynch couldn't make it work. What I meant was that we already went through the entire possession story. If Frost and David had thought that would still have made a more compelling story, they would have done it, but obviously they didn't. Lynch has been very clear about Cooper not being possessed by BOB. I am merely speculating as to what their motivations were.
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
Venus
RR Diner Member

Post by Venus »

Soolsma wrote:
Venus wrote:
Neither do I think that BOB1's post isn't good, nor that Frost and Lynch couldn't make it work. What I meant was that we already went through the entire possession story. If Frost and David had thought that would still have made a more compelling story, they would have done it, but obviously they didn't. Lynch has been very clear about Cooper not being possessed by BOB. I am merely speculating as to what their motivations were.
Maybe they thought it was compelling still to have had the good Coop possession in a similar way as before but had a lot of ideas on the table and decided to go down the idea route they have as one of those choices. It's difficult to second guess anyone's thinking unless you were privy to their conversations.
When Jupiter and Saturn meet...
wxray
RR Diner Member

Post by wxray »

krishnanspace wrote:TIL The woman who plays Ruth davenport is Lynch's wife
This has me confused. She is listed as "Mary Stofle", and IMDB blows it off and says it is really Emily. But I think Emily has finer features than the victim Ruth.

Then there is this popping up on the internet which looks more like our victim.
stofle.JPG
stofle.JPG (18.98 KiB) Viewed 8791 times
I'm wondering if this is Emily's sister? There's a history of dead victim siblings. Kyle's brother played one of Windom Earl's victims (guy pointing at chess board).
WhiteLodge90
RR Diner Member
Location: You're on the path. you don't need to know where it leads. just follow.

Post by WhiteLodge90 »

How did Bad Coop kill that guy when he was holding his face? And why did the guy just let it happen. That scene was very weird to me.
The milk will get cool on you pretty soon.
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

WhiteLodge90 wrote:How did Bad Coop kill that guy when he was holding his face? And why did the guy just let it happen. That scene was very weird to me.
Evil doppelgänger powers.
Panapaok
Bookhouse Member

Post by Panapaok »

krishnanspace wrote:TIL The woman who plays Ruth davenport is Lynch's wife
No. Emily Stofle is Lynch's wife. Mary Stofle playes Ruth Davenport.
This is - excuse me - a damn fine cup of coffee.