Parts 1 & 2 - My log has a message for you & The stars turn and a time presents itself (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Annie, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne, Brad D

User avatar
SpookySculder
Posts: 55
Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:40 am

Re: Parts 1 + 2 (SPOILERS)

Postby SpookySculder » Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:51 am

Has anyone here seen Fritz Lang's "Metropolis"? During the red room scene, the film came to my mind. Sheryl Lee's makeup , mannerisms, facial expressions and even the way she walked into the room remind me a lot of the robot Maria. Was curious if anyone else made the connection. Maria was also two people in the film and TP has the whole doppleganger thing... I wonder if it was a homage to Metropolis.
User avatar
sackboy97
Posts: 42
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2016 2:01 pm

Re: Parts 1 + 2 (SPOILERS)

Postby sackboy97 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:00 am

SpookySculder wrote:Has anyone here seen Fritz Lang's "Metropolis"? During the red room scene, the film came to my mind. Sheryl Lee's makeup , mannerisms, facial expressions and even the way she walked into the room remind me a lot of the robot Maria. Was curious if anyone else made the connection. Maria was also two people in the film and TP has the whole doppleganger thing... I wonder if it was a homage to Metropolis.

I have seen it recently and I can see what you're saying. Also, it's a really good movie, I enjoyed it way more than I would have expected.
User avatar
Electric Tree
Posts: 21
Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:39 pm

Re: Parts 1 + 2 (SPOILERS)

Postby Electric Tree » Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:41 pm

Sorry if this has already been covered, but has there been any talk/explanation for the evil looking blue faced transient in the jail cell who slowly vanishes (and his head rises up offscreen)?
User avatar
Jasper
Posts: 864
Joined: Wed May 08, 2013 9:24 am

Re: Parts 1 + 2 (SPOILERS)

Postby Jasper » Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:16 pm

Electric Tree wrote:Sorry if this has already been covered, but has there been any talk/explanation for the evil looking blue faced transient in the jail cell who slowly vanishes (and his head rises up offscreen)?


Lynch implied in an interview that something about the oily/scorched man in the cell (wasn't blue as far as I can tell) would pop up further along in the story.
User avatar
kkillevippen
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:07 am

Re: Parts 1 + 2 (SPOILERS)

Postby kkillevippen » Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:27 am

Jasper wrote:Lynch implied in an interview that something about the oily/scorched man in the cell (wasn't blue as far as I can tell) would pop up further along in the story.


Yes, from here.

That’s an example of what I’m talking about. An image came; it was all about translating. And by the way, about that guy, you just keep watching.
User avatar
MoondogJR
Posts: 259
Joined: Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:13 am
Location: Belgium

Re: Parts 1 + 2 (SPOILERS)

Postby MoondogJR » Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:47 am

I did a rewatch of parts 1 & 2. Some random observations and questions that I don’t remember seeing discussed in this thread:

- The expressions on the face of Otis remind me a lot of the expressions on the face of ‘Senor Droolcup’

- I wonder if there are any theories why Ray and Daria are back in Buella’s house. What do you guys think is the relation between Ray/Daria and Buella + Bad Coop and Buella/Otis + Ray/Daria and Bad Coop?

- If Lucy was pregnant in march 1989 she most likely also gave birth in 1989. It is stated that Wally Brando now is 24 years old, logic makes me conclude The Return is taking place in 2013. No? Which could possibly mean it isn’t even 25 years after the events we last saw in season 2. Which could mean the encounter between Cooper and Laura we see in part 1 in the Red Room is chronologically taking place after the events taking place in the real world in The Return (after all she did say I’ll see you in 25 years and not I’ll see you in 24 years and 8 months for instance). Or am I way of here?

- That being said, it could be that Wally is 24 and 10 months, which would place us in 2014, which is actually 25 years later. Just thought the possibility above is something that we should take in account.

- It occurred to me that Bad Coop in part 1 & 2 murders two people with a gunshot (Phyllis and Daria) and he explicitly states that the guns he uses are not his (respectively George and Daria’s gun).

- Bad Coop says “This is George his gun”, which means he knows George. Also Phyllis says to George he should come over later. Which makes me conclude George will find Phyllis’ body.

- Who is Jack? And why is he there all of a sudden at the diner where BadCoop, Daria and ray were eating? He wasn’t at Buella’s. Also an observation: I thought Ray was joking when he said to Jack something about finishing his third diner. But there are in fact three plates in front of him :)

- I wonder who Hutch, Chantall’s husband is and if we will ever see him.

- And finally: could that be a wedding ring around Shelly’s neck?

I would like to hear your thoughts!
"Your log and I are on the same page."
claaa7
Posts: 715
Joined: Sun Oct 19, 2014 2:47 am

Re: Parts 1 + 2 (SPOILERS)

Postby claaa7 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:59 am

MoondogJR wrote:I did a rewatch of parts 1 & 2. Some random observations and questions that I don’t remember seeing discussed in this thread:

- The expressions on the face of Otis remind me a lot of the expressions on the face of ‘Senor Droolcup’


YES! i'm suprised i haven't seen it mentioned before but i was thinking the same thing. it could damn near be a relative.. very similiar in facial features and expressions.
User avatar
Jerry Horne
Posts: 4484
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:28 pm
Location: Private Portland Airport
Contact:

Re: Parts 1 + 2 (SPOILERS)

Postby Jerry Horne » Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:31 am

So if that was Briggs' body in Ruth's bed, is Coop after the dossier?
User avatar
counterpaul
Posts: 233
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2007 1:06 am

Re: Parts 1 + 2 (SPOILERS)

Postby counterpaul » Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:39 am

MoondogJR wrote:- If Lucy was pregnant in march 1989 she most likely also gave birth in 1989. It is stated that Wally Brando now is 24 years old, logic makes me conclude The Return is taking place in 2013. No? Which could possibly mean it isn’t even 25 years after the events we last saw in season 2. Which could mean the encounter between Cooper and Laura we see in part 1 in the Red Room is chronologically taking place after the events taking place in the real world in The Return (after all she did say I’ll see you in 25 years and not I’ll see you in 24 years and 8 months for instance). Or am I way of here?

- That being said, it could be that Wally is 24 and 10 months, which would place us in 2014, which is actually 25 years later. Just thought the possibility above is something that we should take in account.


It seems that Lucy had an incredibly long pregnancy. Wally Brando shares a birthday with Marlon Brando. Marlon Brando was born on April 3rd. Lucy had to have gotten pregnant in late January/early February of 1989. It seems that she was pregnant for 14-15 months and Wally was born on 4/3/90.

This is obviously absurd, but it is a very Twin Peaks absurdity. I mentioned in another thread that I can totally imagine a storyline in a hypothetical Season 3 that directly followed Season 2, in which Lucy just keeps staying pregnant, getting bigger and bigger but never giving birth. In my head I see a scene of Doc Hayward getting that look he gets when something completely absurd is happening and saying he can't explain it but Lucy and the baby seem totally healthy--that kid just doesn't want to come out of there. It's a very Twin Peaks kind of absurdity so it doesn't bother me at all. In fact, I really like it.

Anyway, since Wally Brando is 24, that places The Return squarely in 2014--September of 2014 to be exact (COOPER'S mugshot shows that his arrest took place on 9/22--no year listed). 25 years (and a few months) since the events of 1989. Works for me.
User avatar
Jasper
Posts: 864
Joined: Wed May 08, 2013 9:24 am

Re: Parts 1 + 2 (SPOILERS)

Postby Jasper » Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:49 pm

claaa7 wrote:
MoondogJR wrote:I did a rewatch of parts 1 & 2. Some random observations and questions that I don’t remember seeing discussed in this thread:

- The expressions on the face of Otis remind me a lot of the expressions on the face of ‘Senor Droolcup’


YES! i'm suprised i haven't seen it mentioned before but i was thinking the same thing. it could damn near be a relative.. very similiar in facial features and expressions.


This has been mentioned three or four times before today. I certainly noticed it when I first saw Otis. It's also been said a number of times that it seems sort of like a lodge scene, with the tall guy as the giant, and the wheelchair guy as the MFAP, and bad Coop as good Coop. So, Droolcup could fit in that scenario, since he does appear in episode 29.
User avatar
Jerry Horne
Posts: 4484
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:28 pm
Location: Private Portland Airport
Contact:

Re: Parts 1 + 2 (SPOILERS)

Postby Jerry Horne » Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:26 pm

'Indian Heritage' book inside Ruth Davenport's apartment.
Attachments
DBqtgkjVoAAOsdc.jpg
DBqtgkjVoAAOsdc.jpg (6.22 KiB) Viewed 3108 times
User avatar
Jerry Horne
Posts: 4484
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:28 pm
Location: Private Portland Airport
Contact:

Re: Parts 1 + 2 (SPOILERS)

Postby Jerry Horne » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:07 pm

I like how Lynch threw us a sort of version of the stoplights, only it's a railroad crossing with flashing reds and no green.
User avatar
BigEd
Posts: 346
Joined: Sat May 27, 2017 9:50 pm

Re: Parts 1 + 2 (SPOILERS)

Postby BigEd » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:20 pm

Jerry Horne wrote:I like how Lynch threw us a sort of version of the stoplights, only it's a railroad crossing with flashing reds and no green.


There are two parts of that scene. The first is "toylike" and there aren't even any railroad tracks between the two rail crossing signals. Then the train comes and it switches to what appears to be an actual real life road crossing.
User avatar
Jerry Horne
Posts: 4484
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:28 pm
Location: Private Portland Airport
Contact:

Re: Parts 1 + 2 (SPOILERS)

Postby Jerry Horne » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:22 pm

BigEd wrote:
Jerry Horne wrote:I like how Lynch threw us a sort of version of the stoplights, only it's a railroad crossing with flashing reds and no green.


There are two parts of that scene. The first is "toylike" and there aren't even any railroad tracks between the two rail crossing signals. Then the train comes and it switches to what appears to be an actual real life road crossing.


Ah interesting. I'm never far from a re-watch.
User avatar
MoondogJR
Posts: 259
Joined: Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:13 am
Location: Belgium

Re: Parts 1 + 2 (SPOILERS)

Postby MoondogJR » Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:10 am

Jerry Horne wrote:'Indian Heritage' book inside Ruth Davenport's apartment.


Nice catch!
"Your log and I are on the same page."

Return to “Parts Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests