Parts 1 & 2 - My log has a message for you & The stars turn and a time presents itself (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Aerozhul
RR Diner Member

Re: Parts 1 & 2 - My log has a message for you & The stars turn and a time presents itself (SPOILERS)

Post by Aerozhul »

dontlooknow wrote:So what does Laura whisper in Cooper's ear after him asking "when can i leave"? It seems to terrify him.

Maybe something like: As soon as your Doppelgänger, which has been terrorizing the world for 25 years now, comes back in here. Btw, you will take the place of some poor loser called Dougie, married and father of a young boy, who we'll turn into a little gold marble for that purpose. Deal with it, Coopy.

I have this episode on again right now and I was wondering the same thing. My theory is pretty similar to yours, maybe without the Dougie stuff. Haha. I think she told him his doppelgänger has been wreaking havoc and murder in his place for the last 25 years, which is pretty upsetting, certainly enough to elicit Coop's reaction. I also think that Laura was then punished for giving him that information, which is what followed immediately after.

Another question - what the hell did Bad Coop do to Jack? Obviously he killed him, but by rubbing his jaw?
Deep Thought
RR Diner Member

Re: Parts 1 & 2 - My log has a message for you & The stars turn and a time presents itself (SPOILERS)

Post by Deep Thought »

I may have missed it in this thread. Any ideas on what Ray and Daria give to the wheelchair-bound figure at Otis's place? Probably not cashier's cheques.
There's your roast beef and cheese.
Daliz
Roadhouse Member

Post by Daliz »

dontlooknow wrote: Another question - what the hell did Bad Coop do to Jack? Obviously he killed him, but by rubbing his jaw?
Face massage of death :)
Deep Thought wrote:I may have missed it in this thread. Any ideas on what Ray and Daria give to the wheelchair-bound figure at Otis's place? Probably not cashier's cheques.
It's been mentioned many times I think but can't remember any theories. Maybe we'll see, or not?
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

I forget if this was mentioned before, but TSDoLP has a passage where Bob tells Laura, "I don't need anything. [...] I want things." (1/03/1988)
wxray
RR Diner Member

Post by wxray »

Daliz wrote:
dontlooknow wrote: Another question - what the hell did Bad Coop do to Jack? Obviously he killed him, but by rubbing his jaw?
Face massage of death :)
Deep Thought wrote:I may have missed it in this thread. Any ideas on what Ray and Daria give to the wheelchair-bound figure at Otis's place? Probably not cashier's cheques.
It's been mentioned many times I think but can't remember any theories. Maybe we'll see, or not?
Yeah, Ray is going back to The Farm, presumably. Maybe we'll find out.

Looking forward to having another drink and a few boiled peanuts with Otis.
NewtoTwinPeaks
Roadhouse Member

Post by NewtoTwinPeaks »

I mentioned this in the Part 9 thread as well, but Bill tells his wife he had a dream that he was in Ruth's apartment. That didn't come up in the interrogation scene so I wonder what's the story there. How were his fingertips all over her apartment?
BigEd
RR Diner Member

Post by BigEd »

NewtoTwinPeaks wrote:I mentioned this in the Part 9 thread as well, but Bill tells his wife he had a dream that he was in Ruth's apartment. That didn't come up in the interrogation scene so I wonder what's the story there. How were his fingertips all over her apartment?
His fingerprints were all over her apartment because he was having an affair with her. He was in total denial during the interrogation, because he didn't want his wife to find out about the affair. At the time, he didn't know that they found his fingerprints, so he had to stick with his story. He claimed that he had never been there, etc. Since his wife is now dead, it no longer matters to him and he is admitting to the affair to clear himself of the murder charges.
NewtoTwinPeaks
Roadhouse Member

Post by NewtoTwinPeaks »

BigEd wrote:
NewtoTwinPeaks wrote:I mentioned this in the Part 9 thread as well, but Bill tells his wife he had a dream that he was in Ruth's apartment. That didn't come up in the interrogation scene so I wonder what's the story there. How were his fingertips all over her apartment?
His fingerprints were all over her apartment because he was having an affair with her. He was in total denial during the interrogation, because he didn't want his wife to find out about the affair. At the time, he didn't know that they found his fingerprints, so he had to stick with his story. He claimed that he had never been there, etc. Since his wife is now dead, it no longer matters to him and he is admitting to the affair to clear himself of the murder charges.
That's true but his comment about having a dream about being in Ruth's apartment is in a private conversation with his wife, who knows he's been cheating on her as they bring it up, since she's also cheating on him.
BigEd
RR Diner Member

Post by BigEd »

NewtoTwinPeaks wrote:
BigEd wrote:
That's true but his comment about having a dream about being in Ruth's apartment is in a private conversation with his wife, who knows he's been cheating on her as they bring it up, since she's also cheating on him.
Again, this was AFTER the cops told him that they had found his fingerprints all over her apartment. Prior to finding that out, his "story" was that he knew nothing about her apartment. How could he have a dream that he was "there," if he never knew where "there" was?
steadybox

Post by steadybox »

BigEd wrote:
How could he have a dream that he was "there," if he never knew where "there" was?
I'd say that in dreams, this kind of thing happens all the time.
ScarFace32
RR Diner Member

Post by ScarFace32 »

Metamorphia wrote:The Chromatics have grown on me but I honestly found it kinda jarring and nothing like Julee Cruise's music. The Cruise songs had the great ability to pull you out of time and place, as though they existed in a bubble or something. I do not get that at all from the Chromatics - it's very 2017 to me and won't age very well.
Yes the trendy music acts are really lame. Julee Cruise was a whole different thing. I want to hear the band from the strip joint in FWWM, not some lame trendy DJ Hudson Mohawk or whatever. These choices are definitely the result of a bad influence.
wxray
RR Diner Member

Post by wxray »

ScarFace32 wrote:
Metamorphia wrote:The Chromatics have grown on me but I honestly found it kinda jarring and nothing like Julee Cruise's music. The Cruise songs had the great ability to pull you out of time and place, as though they existed in a bubble or something. I do not get that at all from the Chromatics - it's very 2017 to me and won't age very well.
Yes the trendy music acts are really lame. Julee Cruise was a whole different thing. I want to hear the band from the strip joint in FWWM, not some lame trendy DJ Hudson Mohawk or whatever. These choices are definitely the result of a bad influence.
I'll start taking drugs if I have to listen to (spoiler ahead):
Spoiler:
NIN or this Mowhawke guy
ScarFace32
RR Diner Member

Post by ScarFace32 »

wxray wrote:
ScarFace32 wrote:
I'll start taking drugs if I have to listen to (spoiler ahead):
Spoiler:
NIN or this Mowhawke guy
I'd bet there is another NIN song
HagbardCeline
RR Diner Member

Post by HagbardCeline »

I dunno, the Chromatics song was perfect to me. I've always felt that Laura's death upset the timelessness in the small town. It doesn't matter to me that there are electronica acts showing up in the Roadhouse now.
Snailhead
Great Northern Member

Post by Snailhead »

Hated the Chromatics song, liked Sharon Van Etten, adored Trouble & NIN (absolutely meshed with the story), and have been indifferent to the rest. Chromatics is the only one where I cringed - the synths were horribly cheesy and the singer had zero pathos. I almost forgot that Rebekah Del Rio is on the cast list, boy do I hope she sings! And we have Julee Cruise to look forward to. I would love it if she had dialogue, as Cruise's speaking voice is fascinatingly different to her singing voice.