Parts 1 & 2 - My log has a message for you & The stars turn and a time presents itself (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

garethw
RR Diner Member

Re: Parts 1 + 2 (Spoilers)

Post by garethw »

ciro161 wrote:This is total conjecture, but when Laura told Cooper "I am dead, yet I live," and shortly thereafter is seemingly sucked out of the Lodge, could the good Laura have also been trapped and is now free? Perhaps it was her doppelganger who was murdered all those years ago...

Admittedly my theory is based on my love for the character and wanting her to have some justice. Maybe over the course of this series, we'll see her go home to her mother.
Interesting - I've long thought that we may see Laura Palmer walking around in the real world.
oldforce
Roadhouse Member

Post by oldforce »

ciro161 wrote:This is total conjecture, but when Laura told Cooper "I am dead, yet I live," and shortly thereafter is seemingly sucked out of the Lodge, could the good Laura have also been trapped and is now free? Perhaps it was her doppelganger who was murdered all those years ago...

Admittedly my theory is based on my love for the character and wanting her to have some justice. Maybe over the course of this series, we'll see her go home to her mother.
There was some suggestion, perhaps, that both Dale's could be in the world at once (it almost happens but he's trapped in the glass box?) Maybe then Laura can get out too (again presuming it was her doppleganger who was killed. it seems likely actually, given what we're shown at the end of FWWM).
GrapesOnTheEdge

Post by GrapesOnTheEdge »

Few things from me:
- Absolutely loved it, glad it was a bit of a "fuck you" to the people who thought it would just continue as before. As edgy at TP was in 1990/91 it was still on a major network and therefore limited by including some mainstream elements (the soap opera side of the TP aesthetic). I enjoyed the trippiness and can't wait to drop the next tab of DL's sunshine.
- That said, Bad Cooper's hair has got to go...or go even worse. Think Bobby Peru's teeth in Wild at Heart.
- The number 7 continues to be significant in some way.
*The coffee cups that Tracey brings to the glass box guy might have a 'Z' logo on them but when they hold them it looks like a '7'.
*The number that the Giant gives to Good Cooper is '430'...4+3+0=7
*Andy states that their baby has the same birthday as Marlon Brando, which is April 3rd...4/3...4+3=7.
*The gold box edition DVDs released in 2007 had a limited edition postcard set of 61 cards (6+1=7), including rare/numbered gold bordered cards and gold/autographed cards. The numbers that were the rare ones were 7, 16, 25, 34, 43 (which is an image of Cooper and the Giant), 52 and 61, which all equal 7 when you add the digits. The gold bordered cards were numbered to 160 (1+6+0=7) and the auto cards were numbered to 16. There was an unnumbered wild card of Lynch and the auto version was numbered to, you guessed it, 7.
*I'm sure there are more
- I think Red Room Laura was sucked away screaming because she overstepped her authority there. She told Good Cooper that he could go out, as in right now. The Evolution of the Arm later states that he can go out only when Bad Cooper comes back in.
- Definitely noticed the lack of true soundtrack music...but I LOVE the ominous hums in all their creepy frequencies. There are still 16 hours to go, people. We'll get some Badalementi greatness.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

GrapesOnTheEdge wrote:- I think Red Room Laura was sucked away screaming because she overstepped her authority there.
I think something attacked her. And I think she's somewhere Coop has to find her. I would not be shocked if she's alive. I cannot tell you how that makes me feel, as Laura is my favorite.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
SatisfactionJackson

Post by SatisfactionJackson »

Hi from Duesseldorf

Just finished Episode 1.

What a great contribution from Lynch to the world. Simply to good to be true

I liked the NYC parts best. The glass cubik reminded me of 2001-Space Oddity

It must have been fun for lynch to install all the machines

The lamps from the Lost Highway prison etc

Also just great:The scenes swith Cooper in the forest

How often was it asked how the bad Dale would be

Just a few seconds told the whole story
kupe

Post by kupe »

Do we know who the actor playing the burnt wide eyed figure in the jail cell is?
lynchdream17

Post by lynchdream17 »

Im a new watcher, watched season 1 and 2 for the first time last week, FWWM yesterday and then the 2 episodes.

Its an evolution, theres nothing wrong with the show, its amazing, loved everything. The pointless scenes will probably become important just like Lelands dancing seemed stupid at first until the reveal.

Majority of people loved the premiere, i think some of you old timers that didnt like it are watching this with rose tinted glasses.
Season 1 and 2 had as many flaws as the opening 2 episodes, if not MORE
garethw
RR Diner Member

Post by garethw »

lynchdream17 wrote:Im a new watcher, watched season 1 and 2 for the first time last week, FWWM yesterday and then the 2 episodes.

Its an evolution, theres nothing wrong with the show, its amazing, loved everything. The pointless scenes will probably become important just like Lelands dancing seemed stupid at first until the reveal.

Majority of people loved the premiere, i think some of you old timers that didnt like it are watching this with rose tinted glasses.
Hey, cool, lynchdream17. I'm delighted to see a happy newcomer!
Taperecorder
Roadhouse Member

Post by Taperecorder »

So far so good! Although the misogyny levels seem pretty high. Two skinny naked girls get their heads blown/eaten off in the first hour alone. All the woman are portrayed as super skinny (unless it is the obese woman who is 'kooky' and 'weird'). I've yet to see a normal sized woman....
-
As above, so below.
-
lynchdream17

Post by lynchdream17 »

Im wondering if the lil alien dude in the box is the result of Coops doppleganger and original now being out, and it could be a more sinister evil version of BOB and its now possessing someone?

Im still wondering what the mystery of the season will be, since bob is possessing Coop, we already know the principal was partially in on the other murder.. what else is left? im guessing the identity of who the lil alien dude from the box is now possessing?
lynchdream17

Post by lynchdream17 »

garethw wrote:
lynchdream17 wrote:Im a new watcher, watched season 1 and 2 for the first time last week, FWWM yesterday and then the 2 episodes.

Hey, cool, lynchdream17. I'm delighted to see a happy newcomer!
thank you!

Im kinda shocked to see some negative reactions on here, i personally loved it and whilst most of it didnt make complete sense, im sure it will by the time the season is over. Love it though!
oldforce
Roadhouse Member

Post by oldforce »

Laura whispered to him the answer to "when can I go", just as she did she whispered "my father killed me." That's the central mystery (when can I go).
lynchdream17

Post by lynchdream17 »

oldforce wrote:Laura whispered to him the answer to "when can I go", just as she did she whispered "my father killed me." That's the central mystery (when can I go).
Ive not seen ep 3 and 4, but hes already out isnt he?

I hope the twist isnt that the real Laura is still alive
oldforce
Roadhouse Member

Post by oldforce »

You mean in the glass box? I had a sense he got yanked back.
asmahan
RR Diner Member

Post by asmahan »

Sorry if this has been mentioned before, but in the last scene... was the the Bartender Walter Olkiewicz with a beard? I didn't see him in the credits.