Parts 1 & 2 - My log has a message for you & The stars turn and a time presents itself (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Pöllö
RR Diner Member

Re: Parts 1 + 2 (Spoilers)

Post by Pöllö »

I'm just going to come off and say it: I'm dissapointed. And I'm not one of those people who was waiting for an exact copy of the original. I thought it would resemble FWWM more, which is fine by me, but it really isn't.

WHERE IS THE MUSIC? I feel like I'm watching a high school project. I've always loved Lynch's work but he could've just made a different film if he felt like taking such a different road.

Now, I've only seen the first two episodes but these are my initial feelings. I hope it gets better.
Last edited by Pöllö on Sun May 21, 2017 9:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The cow jumped over the moon.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

There was music, but it was often in the vein of the subaural stuff Lynch and Badalamenti have done more recently than TP. Which was fine with me.

When they got the old music going in the woods with Hawk I freaked.

Ben and Jerry felt exactly like Ben and Jerry to me.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
LaurenceBranagh

Post by LaurenceBranagh »

I'm really enjoying it so far. I'd watch Parts 3 and 4 tonight, but my friend has to get up early for work and we have to watch it together. So, I'll be patient and only read articles if the titles are explicitly about Parts 1 and 2.

Nice to see Christopher Murray and Patrick Fischler!
RainingPostToasties
Roadhouse Member

Post by RainingPostToasties »

I may only have waited three and a half years for this, but just from the first ninth of the revisit, it was worth that wait.

Good humor, good chills, good confusion. Some of the presentation may differ from classic Peaks, but it is all right there in content.
Pöllö
RR Diner Member

Post by Pöllö »

N. Needleman wrote:There was music, but it was often in the vein of the subaural stuff Lynch and Badalamenti have done more recently than TP. Which was fine with me.

Well, I don't know if you can call that music. Then you have one scene with Dark Mood Woods and that's it. The pacing just feels so weird, not in the sense that it was deliberate, but that they simply had no idea what to do.
The cow jumped over the moon.
WhiteLodge90
RR Diner Member
Location: You're on the path. you don't need to know where it leads. just follow.

Post by WhiteLodge90 »

Pöllö wrote:I'm just going to come off and say it: I'm dissapointed. And I'm not one of those people who was waiting for an exact copy of the original. I thought it would resemble FWWM more, which is fine by me, but it really isn't.

WHERE IS THE MUSIC? I feel like I'm watching a high school project. I've always loved Lynch's work but he could've just made a different film if he felt like taking such a different road.

Now, I've only seen the first two episodes but these are my initial feelings. I hope it gets better.

I agree. The music is highly lacking.
The milk will get cool on you pretty soon.
Mace
Roadhouse Member

Post by Mace »

The Brothers Horne scene also felt distant due to the way the sound was recorded. Most of the things that may seem
sloppy or careless are intentional.

The scene with Jacoby was reminiscent of the scene in the Straight Story where Alvin has a conversation with another guy on a larger tractor. Both scenes are shot from farther away and the dialogue in each scene is almost imperceptible.

Frost's book hinted at the shift storylines and time. Time and space have been fractured.

Is there a connection between fear and/or love open the doors and the creature that appears in the glass box?

"The stars turn and a time presents itself."

Through the darkness of futures past the magician longs to see one chants out between two worlds Fire walk with me. Future and past were mentioned by Mike at least twice.

Remember to keep you eye on the doughnut.

“The hole is so deep and so bad; the Doughnut is a beautiful thing.” ~ David Lynch
WhiteLodge90
RR Diner Member
Location: You're on the path. you don't need to know where it leads. just follow.

Post by WhiteLodge90 »

N. Needleman wrote:There was music, but it was often in the vein of the subaural stuff Lynch and Badalamenti have done more recently than TP. Which was fine with me.

Disagree. Ben and Jerry felt off to me. Didn't have the same flavor and the scene felt out of place. Also the comedic bits especially with Andy and Lucy and some parts in the 3rd episode which I won't spoil- Had too much dead air... It needed some music for sure.
Driftwood
RR Diner Member

Post by Driftwood »

I'm kind of surprised at some of the negative reactions from long time twin peaks and lynch fans. seems like people were really expecting season 3 of the abc 1989 tv show even though beforehand everyone here seemed to be saying they knew it was going to be different.
SpookyDollhouse
RR Diner Member

Post by SpookyDollhouse »

It's clearly building as far as music goes. Gut feeling.
Hockey Mask
RR Diner Member

Post by Hockey Mask »

Loved it.
WhiteLodge90
RR Diner Member

Post by WhiteLodge90 »

Driftwood wrote:I'm kind of surprised at some of the negative reactions from long time twin peaks and lynch fans. seems like people were really expecting season 3 of the abc 1989 tv show even though beforehand everyone here seemed to be saying they knew it was going to be different.
I pointed out in my post what I liked. I feel like with this I won't be able to fully judge it until I finish all 18 parts. I just finished part 3 and have decided to call it a night. I need to re watch the first three parts and write down all the names mentioned to see if they are characters we see or not. So far the biggest complaints I have is the amount of dead air when some light jazzy music could be useful and also when we do see Twin Peaks to me it feels the most isolated. If that was done on purpose fine. But I felt South Dakota as a location was a lot more grounded in depth if that makes sense.
Cstar84
Roadhouse Member

Post by Cstar84 »

Driftwood wrote:I'm kind of surprised at some of the negative reactions from long time twin peaks and lynch fans. seems like people were really expecting season 3 of the abc 1989 tv show even though beforehand everyone here seemed to be saying they knew it was going to be different.
Totally agreee. Most people are REALLY not seeming to come at this with an open mind. I'm disappointed
in some of my fellow Lynch/TP fans. Meanwhile, most of the critics are giving intrigued, respectful, and reserved reviews which I think is appropriate given most of them have only seen 2 episodes. But oddly more positive than much of the "fan" reaction I've seen.
Rami Airola
RR Diner Member

Post by Rami Airola »

If someone has ever said they don't like the Evelyn Marsh parts in the second season, they should never ever watch this.
I usually like the "wooden" Lynch stuff but oh my god this is something else.

And what the hell did Lynch himself say that he doesn't like season 2 because it went too goofy?

I was very VERY disappointed by the first episode. I'm really not a fan of the visuals here. It looks VERY digital all around.

The second episode is better and the jail cell thing was legit scary!

And I don't know what to think about the Red Room stuff. I'm not sure if the Red Room has now either completely jumped the shark or went into places I can't wait to see more of.

If this is how the season goes on I'm not quite sure if I want to see all of the 18 episodes. Well, yeah I want, things went so overboard during episode 2 that I need to see how crazy things happens next. And I'm kinda interested what the Bad Coop does, but I have to admit I totally hated the part where he said "I need to go to a place called the Black Lodge." It reeks of bad fan fiction right there.

I'm kinda hoping this would have a "Scream 4" twist where all the bad acting and campiness was intentional and the tone changes completely. Because damn, this is at worst very bad stuff. I kinda miss Evelyn Marsh and Little Nicky now.

Hell, I've seen so many dreams about the season 3 and most of the times what I have dreamed has been awful stuff, but now I'm not sure if I'd like to see the dream version instead of this.

I have to say though that the scene with James was surprisingly good! :shock:
That was maybe the first time it felt like Twin Peaks. I'm really surprised it was James of all of the characters that made me feel there is some actual Twin Peaks quality here.

Oh well, time to check out episodes 3&4. Not sure what to expect.
MoondogJR
RR Diner Member

Post by MoondogJR »

A few thoughts:

- Can’t believe this is going to be ‘prime time television’ in the States. I absolutely love it, but I can imagine a lot of people (including TP-fans) won’t.

- It doesn’t feel like Twin Peaks and I didn’t expected it to. I’m finding this more easy to cope with than I thought.

- Here in Belgium the two parts were split up with closing credits in between (if I’m not mistaken, after the second glimpse we get from the giant/?????). Was that also the case in the US or were the two parts edited together?

- Also, a nice little touch in the closing credits is the ‘dedicated to Catherine Coulson’ & ‘dedicated to Frank Silva’-lines.

- I’m wondering if the scene with Ben & Jerry is leading somewhere. I have a feeling that that was it for those two characters…

- Unlike others, I like the effects and the acting. Some of it seems a little ‘off’, but I think that’s what makes it even better.

- I was really surprised by some of the literal dialogues about the black lodge, the arm etcetera. Not sure if I liked that or not. Will need a rewatch.

- I’m really liking the new characters and the storylines in New York and South Dakota. I especially dug the performances of Madeline Zima (to bad she’s dead already), the school director who’s accused with murder (actor?) and detective Dave (actor?).

- That ghost-like figure in the prison cell scared the shit out of me.

- Absolutely psyched that Major Briggs and Philippe Jeffries are at least mentioned.

- I’m guessing the ‘black spirit’ in the glass box is the doppelganger of ‘the arm’ that got out of the lodge/red room.
"Your log and I are on the same page."