Parts 1 & 2 - My log has a message for you & The stars turn and a time presents itself (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Annie, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne, Brad D

Novalis

Re: Parts 1 & 2 - My log has a message for you & The stars turn and a time presents itself (SPOILERS)

Postby Novalis » Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:00 pm

Jerry Horne wrote:Image

Aye that door knocker is a special detail. I had it pegged as a coyote face, which I guess is somewhere between wolf and fox.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=coyot ... ource=univ

I suppose I'm drawn to that conclusion because I like the coyote for its symbolic value, as a special icon (creator as trickster).

Jerry Horne wrote:Interestingly enough, on some tarot cards for 'The Fool' there is a fox at the foot of he Fool.
The Fool reversed cautions you about potentially being taken advantage of or entering into a deal where you do not fully understand the consequences of your decisions.

Tarot Cards! I'm a collector of these.

The Rider-Waite Tarot Fool is a good fit, both for a wolf or a coyote (the GD Fool card had a child with a wolf on a leash sitting in a rose garden iirc). The negative version of the Rider-Waite fool would seem to be a recklessly carefree or preoccupied vagabond figure, so caught up in his otherwordly thoughts that he doesn't even notice the dog/animal biting at his heels. The iconography is redolent of Breugel's The Misanthrope, insofar as the fool like the misanthrope has left worldly interest behind. Also the Fool is about to walk off a cliff, for the same reasons. Is this Hastings -- so preoccupied with the zone that he forgets about his worldly situation? Principal, husband, fisherman.

The positive meaning represents the pre-beginning of things, the impulse that sets things in motion before anything descends into world of action. And on a higher level, the Fool is the Ipsissimus, the 'one who is most himself'. In Magick: Theory and Practice, Crowley claimed the Ipsissimus was an adept who acted without acting -- whereas in the form of a Magus (the following card 'The Magician') the adept accomplishes his will by ensuring that his every action is triangulated by an action that negates it -- the Ipsissimus is somehow above and beyond such dualities. If the Magician is one who longs to see, the Fool is one who has already seen, and is for that transcendental, unworldly, beyond the pale.

The downside of even the positive (non-inverted) Fool is that the Fool can represent leaving the world behind, 'travelling very light' in terms of material concerns and relationships. The Fool is an 'idiot' in the etymological sense, seen in classical Roman times as an extremely private person who refuses to take part in the civic and public life of the city, instead aspiring to remain outside human laws. Not so much a simpleton as a absolute separatist -- a solipsist -- he was also considered in law as caput lupinum, a 'wolfshead'. He belongs to neither nature (the rural) nor culture (the city) but chants out between two worlds, trapped on the threshold, either walled up with the mad at the city margins or kept at bay from entering beyond these city termini (literally, 'ex-terminated'). Historically, he's a deeply tragic figure usually banned from law (which means anyone can kill him without incurring the charge of murder); mythologically he's like Robin Hood or any number of outcast figures with secret ties to, or knowledge of, the city establishment or hierarchy.

Bringing only this tiny fragment of the existing intertextual iconography of wolves, coyotes and outsider-tricksters into play, it's safe to say this door knocker is a fitting emblem for the fact that Hastings has seen too much, and is earmarked for nonexistence. It's a doom-laden moment when we see it.
As a matter of fact, 'Chalfont' was the name of the people that rented this space before. Two Chalfonts. Weird, huh?
MoondogJR

Re: Parts 1 & 2 - My log has a message for you & The stars turn and a time presents itself (SPOILERS)

Postby MoondogJR » Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:17 am

Last weekend I started my first rewatch of The Return/Season 3.
I have to say that for me as well it is not entirely clear whether I should use spoiler tags for information that will be revealed in later parts. So for the safety of it I will use them if necessary.
Also, sorry in advance if some of my observations were discussed in this thread before, but 60+ pages us just to much to scan before posting…

What follows are some random observations, questions and ideas about parts 1 & 2 + some of my favorite quotes.

- I also asked myself this question

Mr. Reindeer wrote:
Spoiler:
The effect of Dale disappearing after the Fireman says he is far away seemed like a very similar effect to Laura's corpse vanishing during Dale's attempted retcon in Part 18. I think most of us took the "far away" to mean he's in the Black Lodge, or that he's far from reaching the enlightenment of the White Lodge (if that's where they are). But maybe the Fireman is referring to Coop being in the "Richard" dimension?

- It struck me during this rewatch how ‘in character’ Richard Beymer is. Ben Horne was spot on Ben Horne from the first second. I really believed it.

– I find it dramatic that in Part 1
Spoiler:
the dialogue between Ben and Jerry is the only scene in which Jerry interacts with another character before going on his strange ‘trip’ in the forest. I wonder if there's anything in this scene that triggers Jerry to go out on his journey?

- silly question: Jerry replies to Ben “R&D brother Ben’. What is R&D??

Spoiler:
– So, the insurance guy scene at the sheriff’s station is only to establish that there are two Trumans?

- I absolutely love the whole scene at Buella’s house
Spoiler:
and find it a bit disappointing we don’t revisit it later on in the series
. Are there any theories about this scene/house? Is there a link with the lodges? What is the purpose of the guy in the wheelchair and the guy next to him? What do Ray and Darya give those two guys as they leave with Mr. C?

- The similarities between Otis en the elderly waiter from season 2 are very striking to me. There’s something in their facial expressions that are very identical. Coincidence?

- Where the hell did the security guard go the second time Tracy was visiting Sam? Was there a set up so that Tracy could enter the room in order to have sex with Sam? Dit sex (love) trigger The Mother to appear?

- Random theory and thinking out loud:
Spoiler:
Sam says that the guy he replaced saw something in the glass box but wouldn’t talk about it. Is that guy anyone we know? Is it BadCoop? We saw him in Part?? In a picture at the glass box. Could it be he was waiting there for something to appear and ‘quit the job’ once he saw wat he needed (wanted :)) to see? Dit Major Briggs appear in the glass box and did BadCoop kill him right there? It could be a hint that Brigg’s body is found in that same Part of The Return…

Or maybe indeed, as Novalis sais, this mitght also be an option:

Novalis wrote: Sam's mention of a predecessor who saw something in the glass cube, who wouldn't -- or couldn't -- say more puts me in mind of
Spoiler:
Hutch's mention of a belated Sammy to whom he owed money. Since it is established by photo that Mr. C is somehow involved with the New York experiment, and possibly finances the project, it might not be unreasonable to guess that Hutch was Sam's predecessor. He may have promised Sam money for replacing him, after seeing something that he did not want to think about.

– Where did The Mother go after she escaped the glass box? [spoiler]To Sarah, ‘activating’ the bug that was planted in her in the 50’s? Is the mother the doppelganger of The evolution of The Arm?
"Your log and I are on the same page."