Parts 1 & 2 - My log has a message for you & The stars turn and a time presents itself (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Re: Parts 1 + 2 (Spoilers)

Post by Soolsma »

I'm sure there are clues here which will become clear later.

Giant vs Cooper:

''Agent Cooper."

"Listen... to the sounds."

"It is in our house now."

"It is?"

''It all cannot be said aloud now."

"Remember 430"

"Richard and Linda."

"Two birds with one stone."

"I understand."

"You are far away."
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
TweetPeak
Roadhouse Member

Post by TweetPeak »

sheer bliss. EP 1+2 were outstanding
FlyingSquirrel
RR Diner Member

Post by FlyingSquirrel »

Were there in fact any characters named Richard or Linda who popped up at any point in 1&2? I was trying to keep an eye out for those names after the intro but didn't catch them if they were ever spoken.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Not only have Now TV not uploaded Episodes 3 & 4 yet, but Episodes 1 & 2 aren't up either. I was able to watch it live on there last night, but the "demand" episodes aren't there, so can't rewatch. Have been reading through all your comments. Agree that it feels like an MD/IE mashup as someone said. It feels to me more "Mulholland Drive - The Series" (so far, at least) than "Twin Peaks". Feels like a new David Lynch TV show. Not sure it should even be called "Twin Peaks". My feeling on this might change. Disappointed by the new red room. Should have stuck to the old set, imo. Think the "TP" scenes will be my favourite - maybe a fan-edit will appear focusing mostly on them, cutting out the rest, which might make interesting viewing - but I'm okay with whatever we get. Feels like two shows running side-by-side - a return (of sorts) to "TP" with a new "MD"-feel show. Going to view it in my mind not as return of "TP" but as a new DL show, try to enjoy it for what it is, with "TP" scenes and throwbacks being highlights for me!

Edit - The episodes have finally been uploaded! Going to rewatch TP bits from 1 & 2, then dive into new episodes.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Rhodes
RR Diner Member

Post by Rhodes »

My only wish for The Return was "A pure heroine Lynch film". I don't really care about the plot, about specific actors returning or not, the opening credits. Of course I have my preferences, but for me these are minor details. I just want to go with the flow.

Given my wish, I experienced the first two parts in a state of pure happiness. This is a movie in which every second will be relevant and "important". Of the 18 hours, very little time will be wasted on irrelevant or less relevant ('filler') material. This will be so very ambitious. I am very curious how Mark Frost feels about the first two episodes. Sure, he's co-written the script. But it sure didn't feel like a co-production. Did he explicitely okay this or was he mere a small pawn in the process? I am also curious how Showtime feels. There was some speculation a few months ago that they might have been surprised (in a bad way) how radical this new season turned out. I can certainly imagine this after seeing the first two parts. I'm very happy, but I can imagine a season 4 is already off the table. Who is going to watch this? (and keep on watching?)

Although The Return was much better than the first two seasons (according to my taste), it wasn't perfect. For me it felt like Inland Empire (which is my number 2 favorite film of all time, Mulholland Drive being my number 1 film). Mulholland Drive is a very ambitious film AND perfectly excecuted. Inland Empire is even more ambitious, but less brilliant in its excecution. Just like Inland Empire, some scenes (and/or the editing) in these first two parts felt a little "off" for me. I liked how Lynch did not recast MJA, but worked completely around it. However, the "tree" did not completely work for me. Neither did some other scenes. Some scenes felt a little pretentious (rather than ambitious). And I didn't always like the visuals/aesthetics.

Can't wait for parts 3/4 (I can't yet see them :-(

Is The Return really going to be 18 hours? Parts 1/2 was significantly less than 120 minutes!!!! This is a big worry for me. Or can some episodes be more than 60 minutes? Or could there be 19 parts? Does anyone know this?
baxter
Great Northern Member

Post by baxter »

Very nice comments on this thread, even the negative ones. I was going to try and avoid the forum for a bit and soak it up/think about it myself, but I was too keen to see what the collective response was.

I still think that the first viewing for me was about shaking preconceptions. I got lots wrong before seeing it. I really didn't think it was going to start with the red room at all, nor even feature Cooper at all from the outset. I thought it was going to start with a crime scene and a dossier discovery. It is and isn't what I thought I'd see.

Without having read TSHOTP, I wouldn't see a lot of Frost in it, but there are obvious connections with the book. The glass box being the most obvious to me. I got told off on the no spoilers thread the other week for the oft-repeated remark that Frost is the conventional story teller, Lynch the abstract weird one, and I'm now happy to admit that this line is very blurred at the very least (and possibly false!).

It isn't the same show as the first one, that's already clear. So no surprise that it is divisive. But it feels much braver than potential alternatives would have been.
Skip Bittman
Roadhouse Member

Post by Skip Bittman »

Ended up watching them again along with 3+4, I think they are better than seasons one and two so far. Staggering achievements, glorious weirdness and all kinds of experimentation. I'm so glad it's managing such diverse reactions.
Judge Giant
Roadhouse Member

Post by Judge Giant »

This was a vision, fresh and clear as a mountain stream. The mind revealing itself to itself.

Visit my Lynch blog at https://lynchiantimes.wordpress.com, or follow on twitter https://twitter.com/LynchianTimes
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

Anybody else had the thought that William Hastings (or Bill the principal, played by Matthew Lillard, who did an incredible job I might add) might have been temporarily possessed by or with help from BOB?
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

I'm still trying to figure out where the hell BOB is. Bad Dale is the doppelganger, not BOB.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
MoondogJR
RR Diner Member

Post by MoondogJR »

Soolsma wrote:Anybody else had the thought that William Hastings (or Bill the principal, played by Matthew Lillard, who did an incredible job I might add) might have been temporarily possessed by or with help from BOB?
That would be my guess as well!
"Your log and I are on the same page."
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

N. Needleman wrote:I'm still trying to figure out where the hell BOB is. Bad Dale is the doppelganger, not BOB.
But it seems he is with BOB at least, in some way. Because the person he was talking through that device to wanted him to return so he could be with BOB?

I do think we will see an image of Silva at one point. Every time Coop comes near a mirror I nearly lose it.
Wonderful & Strange
Great Northern Member

Post by Wonderful & Strange »

I watched all four last night -- loved it, but what an exhausting ride.

I'm rewatching part one right now, and I think the Ben-Jerry scene is perfection. Ben apparently is more ethical these days and Jerry has turned into a full hippie, but his new food business has "tripled" their revenues. Hilarious!

The FX are meant to look as they do and not like a Star Wars films, or a Lord of the Rings film. I'm surprised people expect realism in surrealism.

For example, Cooper's glitchy disappearance from his conversation with the Giant is meant to look "unreal."

Folks, it's going to take a decade or two for much of the audience to get this new Peaks. However, I do understand why people miss the old melodramatic style of the old series. But Lynch has intentionally shifted the style and tone.

Although I suspect that when all is said and done, and Cooper's put everything right again, that S3 may end feeling like "home," or a return to the familiar.
Member of the Agent Tammy Preston Defense Lodge
kornishpyxee
Roadhouse Member

Post by kornishpyxee »

cooper075 wrote:One great callback is from s2 when Cooper is leaving Twin Peaks he tells Hawk that if he ever gets lost he hoped that Hawk would be the one to find him. I'm super impressed so far.
I loved that too. Love the scenes between Log Lady and Hawk. I also agree with the theory that characters seem "flat" because there's evil in the world. Evil Coop is definitely different than Good Coop, who was animated, bright, and cheerful. Hawk feels like he's carrying the world on his shoulders--and maybe he is. Lucy and Andy seem pretty much the same.

On another note--what was that thing that came out of the glass box and devoured Sam and Tracy? Did evil tree get out somehow?

Jenn (kornishpyxee)
The next time you see me it won't be me.
adl345
RR Diner Member

Post by adl345 »

Soolsma wrote:I'm sure there are clues here which will become clear later.

Giant vs Cooper:

''Agent Cooper."

"Listen... to the sounds."

"It is in our house now."

"It is?"

''It all cannot be said aloud now."

"Remember 430"

"Richard and Linda."

"Two birds with one stone."

"I understand."

"You are far away."
I'm wondering if the fact that the scene's in black & white and the character isn't credited as The Giant are indications that those scenes are something else entirely. Different from your standard black lodge scene, possibly existing somewhere else.

ETA: Also, if anyone's looking to get hung up about continuity errors, someone on a different site pointed out that Lucy's kid having the same birthday as Marlon Brando (April 3) doesn't really make any sense unless we're to believe she was ready to give birth towards the end of the original series.
Last edited by adl345 on Mon May 22, 2017 6:16 am, edited 1 time in total.