Parts 1 & 2 - My log has a message for you & The stars turn and a time presents itself (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

HagbardCeline
RR Diner Member

Re: Parts 1 & 2 - My log has a message for you & The stars turn and a time presents itself (SPOILERS)

Post by HagbardCeline »

Jasper wrote:I don't know if it has anything to do with it, but there's also that scene of Briggs on the stone throne in the forest, which is surrounded by and covered with vines and leaves.
Was just thinking of that throne the other day. In the Secret Diary, isn't that where Leo takes Laura when he has her blindfolded? Or am I remembering that totally wrong?
kafa81
RR Diner Member

Re: Parts 1 & 2 - My log has a message for you & The stars turn and a time presents itself (SPOILERS)

Post by kafa81 »

Is the scene with the insurance salesman in part 1 repeated? He comes in and asks to see sheriff Truman, Lucy asks which one etc...and then he says it again...I'd like to see sheriff Truman...it sort of looks like the exact scene, the cut and everything...kind of odd if it is the same
qbin2001
Great Northern Member

Post by qbin2001 »

kafa81 wrote:Is the scene with the insurance salesman in part 1 repeated? He comes in and asks to see sheriff Truman, Lucy asks which one etc...and then he says it again...I'd like to see sheriff Truman...it sort of looks like the exact scene, the cut and everything...kind of odd if it is the same
Looks like another take of the beginning of this scene. There is a moth flynig in the second one, and voice is little different. But the camera movement, and characters movment looks almost the same. Maybe something was cut there, and Lynch used the same part of the dialogue but from another take.
qbin2001
Great Northern Member

Post by qbin2001 »

In part 2 - scene where Cooper enter the Lodge corridor, then comes toward us, and can't go to the left room is made from two takes with abrupt cut right in the moment when he tries to enter the room. The cut is exactly at time mark 41:31. Take a look at curtains at right bottom, and Coopers position.

Heres Screengrabs of two frames (second one is right after the first one).
coop0001.png
coop0001.png (573.45 KiB) Viewed 12231 times
The attachment coop0002.png is no longer available
Attachments
coop0002.png
coop0002.png (576.1 KiB) Viewed 12231 times
Willstacey88

Post by Willstacey88 »

Hey, new to posting. I put this in the theory and speculation thread but after reading through, it may be more suited here. I'll remove one if necessary but wanted some feedback on a couple of observations

Great forum and great way to pass the time between episodes. I recently rewatched everything up to new episodes so my girlfriend could experience TP, and noticed a few things that I thought were curious. Forgive me if others have posted and I've missed these already :

The black and white scene with the giant. Is this the "true" waiting room? Being both black and white at the same time, does it contain an equal mix of both lodges, therefore being the real midpoint?

Also, same scene, after watching FWWM, is this room with Coop and the giant the same as the painting that Mrs Chalfont/Tremond gives Laura? I know we don't see it for long and it's in colour in the film but it seems familiar to me.

Again, sorry if this isn't new :)
vicksvapor77
Great Northern Member

Post by vicksvapor77 »

vicksvapor77 wrote:I keep forgetting to ask: What does everyone make of Laura's scene with Cooper very closely mirroring, yet being slightly altered, from the scene in the original show?

In the original series, Cooper had a dream of Laura telling him her father killed her. This scene seemed to take place 25 years later, as they had Kyle in old makeup. Does that mean his dream was some altered vision of the future real-life event, which we just saw happen before our eyes in part 2 of the new season? Or is it possible there have been many times in the last 25 years where Laura has whispered different things in Cooper's ears? Or am I wrong in both possibilities?

Lastly, do you think the "I'll see you again in 25 years" comment is referring to the original dream we saw older Cooper? The new season scene? Both somehow? I assume in the context of the original show, it was probably referring to the dream but that has no changed to the new scene we saw (though again, are they one in the same moment in time somehow?) Who has Cooper spent his time with in the Red Room for 25 years if not for Laura? Has he been largely alone?
Bumping my own comment here. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? I keep thinking about it and I'm still confused/intrigued.
map66

Post by map66 »

OK on rewatching just now, that is Major Briggs who appears in the box, or at least his corpse, I think. I tried freeze framing and such after the idea popped into my head given the next scene is the discovery of corpse. But if you watch it live, and look to see Major Briggs in the flashing effects, he shows up. And even the male/ female form of the image matches the body about to be discovered in the next scene.
Mr. Strawberry
RR Diner Member

Post by Mr. Strawberry »

wxray wrote:"well known bands"? I guess I'm old.
That makes two of us. But even though I've also never heard of them, it's fairly obvious that trendy bands with a good deal of visibility were chosen to bring The Roadhouse and setting current. No real problem with the underlying intention, but rather the fact that I'm really not feeling the majority of the acts chosen so far.
claaa7
Great Northern Member

Post by claaa7 »

Mr. Strawberry wrote:
wxray wrote:"well known bands"? I guess I'm old.
That makes two of us. But even though I've also never heard of them, it's fairly obvious that trendy bands with a good deal of visibility were chosen to bring The Roadhouse and setting current. No real problem with the underlying intention, but rather the fact that I'm really not feeling the majority of the acts chosen so far.
yes, i have a feeling those parts will feel very dated in a few years.. the only song that really hit me was the Trouble song during the Richard Horne introduction. Chromatics was pretty good too.
Hockey Mask
RR Diner Member

Post by Hockey Mask »

Dated like Booker T. & The M.G.'S or Santo and Johnny?
mtsi
RR Diner Member

Post by mtsi »

I thought The Chromatics were awesome. Perfect fit to the nostalgia of falling back into town in that last scene.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
We live inside a dream.
Mr. Strawberry
RR Diner Member

Post by Mr. Strawberry »

Hockey Mask wrote:Dated like Booker T. & The M.G.'S or Santo and Johnny?
More like Tiffany or MC Hammer.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Mr. Strawberry wrote:
Hockey Mask wrote:Dated like Booker T. & The M.G.'S or Santo and Johnny?
More like Tiffany or MC Hammer.
"Dated" is a kind of subjective thing. It seems like a lot of TP fans are in denial that most of the synth tracks from the original series (perhaps excluding "Dark Moods Woods") feel very much of their era. When I began watching the original show with my girlfriend in anticipation of the new series, her comment as soon as the "Falling" synths kicked in was, "VERY 1990s." To use an even more extreme example, a lot of Beatles tracks feel simultaneously of their time and timeless. "In My Life" is always going to be a recording people listen to and relate to, for many generations to come...but the instrumentation is so completely of that one specific era in pop music history.

Anyway, while I'm not in love with all of the bands/tracks we've gotten, I don't think they'll date particularly poorly. The comparison to MC Hammer and Tiffany is silly...these aren't Top 10 artists whose music is going to be used in bad comedies in decades to come to let the audience know a flashback takes place in 2017. They're indy artists (some of whom incorporate some old-school sounds/elements). You certainly have the right not to be crazy about them, but I don't think future viewers are going to be rolling their eyes and saying "Sharon Ven Etten is SO 2017."
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

mtsi wrote:I thought The Chromatics were awesome. Perfect fit to the nostalgia of falling back into town in that last scene.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Same here. I think they're perfectly in tune with the Julee Cruise vibe.

As for the rest of the bands and whether they'll feel dated...I highly doubt it. The band with the MISSISSIPPI song, for example, is suited for every era, as is Sharon Von Etten. The more synthy acts such as Chromatics and Au Revoir Simone fit so perfectly as an update to the ethereal Julee Cruise vibe that I don't think they'll date any differently. The 80s has already returned, and those bands could have made their music then.
Metamorphia
RR Diner Member

Post by Metamorphia »

The Chromatics have grown on me but I honestly found it kinda jarring and nothing like Julee Cruise's music. The Cruise songs had the great ability to pull you out of time and place, as though they existed in a bubble or something. I do not get that at all from the Chromatics - it's very 2017 to me and won't age very well.