Parts 1 & 2 - My log has a message for you & The stars turn and a time presents itself (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Re: Parts 1 & 2 - My log has a message for you & The stars turn and a time presents itself (SPOILERS)

Post by LateReg »

Metamorphia wrote:The Chromatics have grown on me but I honestly found it kinda jarring and nothing like Julee Cruise's music. The Cruise songs had the great ability to pull you out of time and place, as though they existed in a bubble or something. I do not get that at all from the Chromatics - it's very 2017 to me and won't age very well.
For what it's worth they've sounded like that going all the way back to at least 2007. I think I might have said this already but I can't remember...they have an 80s vibe to their sound, and that 80s synth thing has already made its comeback in all manner of genre films in the past five + years. So it's reminiscent of a sound that was already popular in the 80s and also currently resurging today (Johnny Jewel did the original soundtrack for Drive, though it ended up not being used in the film, replaced by Cliff Martinez's very retro score). Maybe I'm just speaking as a fan of that kind of sound, but in a way it does feel timeless to me, or at least nostalgic.
Metamorphia
RR Diner Member

Re: Parts 1 & 2 - My log has a message for you & The stars turn and a time presents itself (SPOILERS)

Post by Metamorphia »

LateReg wrote:
Metamorphia wrote:The Chromatics have grown on me but I honestly found it kinda jarring and nothing like Julee Cruise's music. The Cruise songs had the great ability to pull you out of time and place, as though they existed in a bubble or something. I do not get that at all from the Chromatics - it's very 2017 to me and won't age very well.
For what it's worth they've sounded like that going all the way back to at least 2007. I think I might have said this already but I can't remember...they have an 80s vibe to their sound, and that 80s synth thing has already made its comeback in all manner of genre films in the past five + years. So it's reminiscent of a sound that was already popular in the 80s and also currently resurging today (Johnny Jewel did the original soundtrack for Drive, though it ended up not being used in the film, replaced by Cliff Martinez's very retro score). Maybe I'm just speaking as a fan of that kind of sound, but in a way it does feel timeless to me, or at least nostalgic.
That's true. It's the 80s hip resurgence sound that I associate with today, with as you say Cliff Martinez and all those kind of soundtracks you get in these peripheral arthouse movies today. Just seems to me like it comes from a different place - it is potentially nostalgic I suppose but I don't associate that with the original Twin Peaks or Angelo's music.
Robin Davies
Roadhouse Member

Post by Robin Davies »

I haven't had time to read the whole thread but has there been any speculation about why the subtitle says 253 when The Evolution of the Arm clearly (to my ears anyway) says 257?
Framed_Angel
RR Diner Member

Post by Framed_Angel »

I've re-watched Part 2 now and have a question.
In the motel room when EvilCoop takes the weird plug-in box to connect with whoever answers on the other line, they exchange words and EvilCoop says "Phillip? This is Phillip Jeffries, isn't it?" and the reply comes "Actually I've just called to say good-bye."

I thought EvilCoop called up this person, not the other way around??

Is it just an oversight on the writers' part or a gaffe?
"Fool me once... shame on me!"
Saela
Roadhouse Member

Post by Saela »

Robin Davies wrote:I haven't had time to read the whole thread but has there been any speculation about why the subtitle says 253 when The Evolution of the Arm clearly (to my ears anyway) says 257?
I clearly hear 253 :)
Shloogorgh
RR Diner Member

Post by Shloogorgh »

Framed_Angel wrote:I've re-watched Part 2 now and have a question.
In the motel room when EvilCoop takes the weird plug-in box to connect with whoever answers on the other line, they exchange words and EvilCoop says "Phillip? This is Phillip Jeffries, isn't it?" and the reply comes "Actually I've just called to say good-bye."

I thought EvilCoop called up this person, not the other way around??

Is it just an oversight on the writers' part or a gaffe?
It could be that the device Mr C set up worked like a pager to get "Philip" to call him
writersblock
RR Diner Member

Post by writersblock »

Robin Davies wrote:I haven't had time to read the whole thread but has there been any speculation about why the subtitle says 253 when The Evolution of the Arm clearly (to my ears anyway) says 257?
Yeah listened back so many times and I am still convinced that it's 257.

I spoke to people about it and they looked at me as if I was crazy :D
claaa7
Great Northern Member

Post by claaa7 »

Its 253 to my ears, 257 wouldnt make much sense with what we are about to see on screen either
dontlooknow

Post by dontlooknow »

So what does Laura whisper in Cooper's ear after him asking "when can i leave"? It seems to terrify him.

Maybe something like: As soon as your Doppelgänger, which has been terrorizing the world for 25 years now, comes back in here. Btw, you will take the place of some poor loser called Dougie, married and father of a young boy, who we'll turn into a little gold marble for that purpose. Deal with it, Coopy.
wxray
RR Diner Member

Post by wxray »

I heard it as: "You will exist only in a world where your actions will 'Profoundly Disappoint' many."
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

So this is probably old news to 95% of the world. I'd been running on the assumption that the slowed-down Muddy Magnolias track "American Woman" was a cover of the classic Guess Who song (never actually bothered to listen to the regular-speed version). During the two-week downtime between Parts, I've been exploring the show's music more, and realized to my shock that it's a completely different song with the same title! Whoops. I've been spreading misinformation in my friend circle. :cry:
BigEd
RR Diner Member

Post by BigEd »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:So this is probably old news to 95% of the world. I'd been running on the assumption that the slowed-down Muddy Magnolias track "American Woman" was a cover of the classic Guess Who song (never actually bothered to listen to the regular-speed version). During the two-week downtime between Parts, I've been exploring the show's music more, and realized to my shock that it's a completely different song with the same title! Whoops. I've been spreading misinformation in my friend circle. :cry:
Ouch. There goes another Heather Graham connection....
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Listening to the Secret Diary audiobook. Passage somewhat interesting in light of the, uh, light inside Laura....

".....the place is miles from any source of light other than that which pours sometimes, so clearly in my memory, from his lips and eyes -- the very light stolen from within me." (9/11/86)
Eirikur

Post by Eirikur »

I'm really regretting the loss of Sam and Tracy. Re-watching caused me to grow fond of them. I would like to see more of the actors in those roles, but it seems that even with time travel, we're not likely to see any more.
BigEd
RR Diner Member

Post by BigEd »

Eirikur wrote:I'm really regretting the loss of Sam and Tracy. Re-watching caused me to grow fond of them. I would like to see more of the actors in those roles, but it seems that even with time travel, we're not likely to see any more.
Yep. Unfortunately, they are classic "red shirts." :(