Parts 1 & 2 - My log has a message for you & The stars turn and a time presents itself (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Jude
Roadhouse Member

Re: Parts 1 + 2 (Spoilers)

Post by Jude »

Well this was something!! The look and feel is something that takes some time to get used to, but on the other hand all the scenes filmed in Twin Peaks (Sherrif's department) had that warm look. I think I have to watch these first episodes again in the upcoming week. All in all it was wonderful to see the old faces and the red room once again. I definitely don't know what's to come which is a wonderful feeling, it is going to be a mysterious and exciting summer for sure!

Probably the only thing that I have missed so far has been the soundtrack. I think there could have been more Badalamenti's music used in these first episodes. I know there were some of the old soundtrack used and couple new great tracks too, but I hope that they'll start using new & old themes by Badalamenti as the season goes on.
freeek
Roadhouse Member

Post by freeek »

Suffice to say Lynch is back, more than TP is.

The s3 "parts" stance Lynch was so insistent on proves to be something special, with each part having its own pace, wich is very different than a traditional, self-centered TV series episode.

So it all makes a first opinion pretty difficult and useless at this point (ep. 1 and 2). If Mulholland Drive was a series and you were only shown the first 10 minutes, it would be hard to judge it as a whole. You'd have to wait for the end of it.

The ep. 1 and 2 are Lynch returning to an unbridled, fearless form as an artist. That's what certain people here fail to process. I think Lynch never ever intended to give us TP part 3. He just wants to keep on doing what he's always done and this is : creating. Fulfilling his vision as an artist who, at 70+, is still unmatched. By the look of things, that dude writing Fargo is said to be the best TV has to offer right now, but come on. Nobody does things like ep. 1 and 2 and nobody can.

Meaning : Lynch doesn't owe you anything. He doesn't owe lifelong TP fans to deliver anything. He didn't have to bring back your cherry pies and your jazzy music and your funny vignettes. Did people seriously think the whole TP mythology would be adressed in the s3, up to the most obscure details and characters of s1 and s2 ? Did people seriously believe they would ever hear about Windom Earle again ?

As for that CGI thing, I think Lynch couldn't care less about the shiny, glossy, hyper polished CGI seen in, say, Guardians of the Galaxy. Dune has been much maligned movie for decades, and people still call it utter shit as far as scifi is concerned. But I hate to break it to you : Lynch was never ever interested one bit in scfi when he started Dune. In the same manner, I think Lynch is not interested one bit in your shiny, glossy CGI. He prolly sees it more as painting, and guess what ? The scenes featuring the evolution of The Arm and the Black Lodge collapsing felt more like paintings than anything else.

The glass box is already part of history.
lynchdream17

Post by lynchdream17 »

I hope the whole season isnt coop trying to get out, i wanna see him interact with the world!
sylviecerise
Roadhouse Member

Post by sylviecerise »

asmahan wrote:Sorry if this has been mentioned before, but in the last scene... was the the Bartender Walter Olkiewicz with a beard? I didn't see him in the credits.
Yes, he's credited as Jean-Michel Renault.
Gabriel
Great Northern Member

Post by Gabriel »

speedbeatz wrote:Something I just remembered that's bothering me: what was up with the woman (name escapes me) in the New York scenes?
The first scene seemed to heavily indicate that she had an ulterior motive in regards to getting into the room - spying on the keypad code, being persistent about coming back the next day, etc. Was she willing to go very far to keep her cover, and planned on doing something after having sex with the guy, or was the earlier stuff just a red herring?
I often wonder whether Lana was evil and was using her siren talents because she wanted to win Miss Twin Peaks in order to access the Black Lodge.
asmahan
RR Diner Member

Post by asmahan »

sylviecerise wrote:
asmahan wrote:Sorry if this has been mentioned before, but in the last scene... was the the Bartender Walter Olkiewicz with a beard? I didn't see him in the credits.
Yes, he's credited as Jean-Michel Renault.
Nice! I hope we see him again!
oldforce
Roadhouse Member

Post by oldforce »

lynchdream17 wrote:I hope the whole season isnt coop trying to get out, i wanna see him interact with the world!
We all do, that's why it's so masterful to have it be the central conflict.
Ubermensch33
Roadhouse Member

Post by Ubermensch33 »

Soolsma wrote:Anybody else had the thought that William Hastings (or Bill the principal, played by Matthew Lillard, who did an incredible job I might add) might have been temporarily possessed by or with help from BOB?
Absolutely, I thought this as well. He said he wasn't there, but he had a dream...
Judge Giant
Roadhouse Member

Post by Judge Giant »

lynchdream17 wrote:I hope the whole season isnt coop trying to get out, i wanna see him interact with the world!
I vaguely remember Kyle suggesting that Coop would be partnering up with the new Sheriff Truman this time around...based on that I think we will see Cooper back in TP (with memories back?) well before the end.
This was a vision, fresh and clear as a mountain stream. The mind revealing itself to itself.

Visit my Lynch blog at https://lynchiantimes.wordpress.com, or follow on twitter https://twitter.com/LynchianTimes
Judge Giant
Roadhouse Member

Post by Judge Giant »

A few stray thoughts...

The opening scene with Cooper and The Giant - though listed as ????? so maybe someone else entirely - is clearly crucial. The stuff he says will obviously be significant at some point in the future (or is it past? :wink: ) and the completely different look of that scene sets it apart so deliberately.

So, I'm thinking the person funding the glass box project in NY, the person who paid those two characters to kill Evil!Coop and who he spoke to thinking it was Jeffries, and the person referred to in that brief Las Vegas scene (with Joe Adler and Patrick Fischler) - they're all the same guy, right?
This was a vision, fresh and clear as a mountain stream. The mind revealing itself to itself.

Visit my Lynch blog at https://lynchiantimes.wordpress.com, or follow on twitter https://twitter.com/LynchianTimes
Jacob
Roadhouse Member

Post by Jacob »

First, overall, I LOVED IT.

It's very surprizing -- since it's so different from the original -- and yet completely natural and logic... because it really feels like a follow-up to Lynch's two latest works, Mulholland Dr. and INLAND EMPIRE (even if during the first sequence with the giant, I screamed "oh my god we're in Eraserhead !" :lol: ). But a lot of you already said that !

What I didn't like though is how the "genre" aspect of Twin Peaks (as opposed to the vast majority of other Lynch works, where we're dealing mostly with onirism and psychology) was portrayed. I agree with Cerulean and others : it felt sometimes too literal (for exemple when Bad Coop is talking about the Black Lodge). It's like the 2000's style of Lynch, more raw and brutal, is not mixing well with the fantastic tone of Twin Peaks, and in this aspect, I find FWWM much more balanced than Part 1 & Part 2.
Most of you are talking about these parts like it's "all Lynch", but I can see on the contrary Frost's touch in how the mythology is talked too literally. Not that it's only Frost's fault... but I have the feeling that Frost's writing and Lynch's style are not as complementary than it used to be. But I hope the next parts will prove me wrong !

For the same reason, and like many of you, I was disappointed by the Red Room sequences. The oddness of it, 25 years later, is not as effective as it was. I was expecting something new, and the CGI felt out-of-place here (even If I loved them during the glass cage sequence).
At the same time, I don't want to be the "I'm glad it's nothing like the old show, I want INLAND EMPIRE 2" kind-of-guy. I found all the sequences with Hawk, the Log Lady (I wasn't expecting them to be so brutal) and the Horne brothers great. The ending of Part 2 is also a beautiful conclusion (Showtime made a good choice to air the two parts together). It's just that when the old Twin Peaks is colliding with the new stuff a la MD & IE, it feels weird. Like if the modern style of Lynch is now too far away from Frost writing (I don't know by the way what he think of INLAND EMPIRE... Did anyone know ? :?: I already know he's not a fan of Mulholland Dr...).

That's why I prefered the first part, which I found riveting to watch, with those two words divided, nostalgia on one side, and mystery and strangeness on the other (again, i LOVED the glass cage storyline, and I found Madeline Zima amazing, very sad to see her go so quickly).

I also have to talk about the PACE. I was mesmired by it : it felt like nothing on TV. And it's ironic to see that so much shows today have been inspired by TP, and now that the show is back, it's just -- again -- totally different from the rest. All these big, strange sequences : it felk like pure cinema, with nothing NARRATIVE about it. Except when the show felt like it had to talk about his own mythology. But otherwise it's so brave. :)

To finish, one word about MacLachlan. I see that some of you are not convinced by his portrayal of Bad Coop. I disagree. I'm almost more convinced by what he does with Bad Coop than the Good one (because it's so weird that, 25 years old, he's still the same). I love the long air, the black, dark eyes. At first, I admit I was worry (you're almost expecting to see him with a denim vest like Bob, thank god it's not 90's anymore :lol: ). But I find him brilliant and mostly -- and that's also what's interesting here ! -- precisely because time has passed (no way he could have played this part 20 years ago). I agree though some of his lines are a bit corny ("I want, I don't need", etc.), but that's not his fault...

I'll watch parts 3 & 4 next week, hoping -- I know it's crazy, but it looks like I'm not the only one -- that it's not going to take place too much on the Black Lodge. Or else I'm afraid it will quicky get common and redundant. But don't spoil me !!!
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Framed_Angel
RR Diner Member

Post by Framed_Angel »

Could the absence of music as we grew used to it in S1&2 be meant to represent what A World Without Special Agent Dale Cooper is like, now that he's trapped in the Lodge? And a world which instead receives this doppelganger of his, by contrast feels ugly and incomplete?
That said -- it's given me to appreciate Badalamenti more than ever.
Rain

Post by Rain »

I now declare the monster in the cube called "Lynomorph"
Rain

Post by Rain »

I am genuinely happy to see the Log Lady is in the story