Parts 1 & 2 - My log has a message for you & The stars turn and a time presents itself (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Mario Stein

Re: Parts 1 + 2 (SPOILERS)

Post by Mario Stein »

Could it be some clue for 430 the Giant said to Copper? Picture form FWWM when Chris Isaac enters the room with Theresa Banks's body (4:30(or 16:30)=430).
Attachments
430.png
430.png (1006.35 KiB) Viewed 11296 times
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Post by LostInTheMovies »

Apologies if this idea has been mentioned already (I'm slowly working my way through the threads and I should probably wait till I'm done but God knows when that will be and I want to hear what people think of this). I noticed that the creature in the glass box has a clear line separating the head from the body - and the head and body seem to belong to different beings. The body is a woman's which makes this potentially the mirror opposite of the head/body laid out in Ruth Davenport's room - i.e. the disposed parts of each victim. Especially since this apparition seems to occur around the exact time that Ruth is murdered, it's got to have something to do with it.
dreamshake
RR Diner Member

Post by dreamshake »

LostInTheMovies wrote:Apologies if this idea has been mentioned already (I'm slowly working my way through the threads and I should probably wait till I'm done but God knows when that will be and I want to hear what people think of this). I noticed that the creature in the glass box has a clear line separating the head from the body - and the head and body seem to belong to different beings. The body is a woman's which makes this potentially the mirror opposite of the head/body laid out in Ruth Davenport's room - i.e. the disposed parts of each victim. Especially since this apparition seems to occur around the exact time that Ruth is murdered, it's got to have something to do with it.
I don't know if it's been mentioned but I have thought this as well.
dreamshake
RR Diner Member

Post by dreamshake »

But now going back to the scene the line separating the head and body seems to just be a shadow of the clavicle.
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Re: Parts 1 + 2 (Spoilers)

Post by LostInTheMovies »

Driftwood wrote:
Soolsma wrote:Wtf was that thing shredding that poor couple? Was it sort of implied that it was good Coop?
I don't think so. it looked like it had a female body and a ... something else head, so maybe it's related to the bodyless woman's head who was found with a different headless corpse? Maybe it was chasing coop? maybe Bad Mr. C had a hand in uh, making it, somehow?
Ha, found this *immediately* after typing the previous post. So I guess it's been discussed...look forward to hearing what others have to say. I have some thoughts which relate to information we get in 3/4:
Spoiler:
if - as some have speculated based on the military block and the floating head in space - the body in Ruth's bed belongs to Maj. Briggs and was kept on ice or something for this occasion, and the head was left behind in the fire years ago, that might explain why it looks much more decomposed than the body it's on top of. Though Briggs being used this way - and especially being linked to the attack on the young couple - certainly doesn't feel quite right.
garethw
RR Diner Member

Post by garethw »

I'm enjoying my third ride through this mystery, and almost everything that rubbed me the wrong way on first viewing has fallen away, and works for me now.

But one exception:

The whole sequence at the Roadhouse is *visually* out of place with everything else in the show. It starts at the shot of The Bang Bang Bar, and carries on to the end of the ep. I like the whole content, but it looks like a completely different production. It's very flat, and very "video-ey", and seemingly unlike anythimg else in the show.

Anyone else get that? It has jolted me all 3 times I've seen it. I notice it more each time.
Ubermensch33
Roadhouse Member

Post by Ubermensch33 »

garethw wrote:I'm enjoying my third ride through this mystery, and almost everything that rubbed me the wrong way on first viewing has fallen away, and works for me now.

But one exception:

The whole sequence at the Roadhouse is *visually* out of place with everything else in the show. It starts at the shot of The Bang Bang Bar, and carries on to the end of the ep. I like the whole content, but it looks like a completely different production. It's very flat, and very "video-ey", and seemingly unlike anythimg else in the show.

Anyone else get that? It has jolted me all 3 times I've seen it. I notice it more each time.
I'm starting to get the feeling that we're playing with nostalgia quite a bit. This was a very nostalgic scene and an emotional (for me) way to end the first two parts. There are two more very obvious pieces of (has to be intentional) nostalgia in the 3rd and 4th parts
Spoiler:
when Bobby sees the picture of Laura, and the Badalamenti music plays LOUDLY, and also when apparently Wally has come home in order to tell his parents they can do what they wish with his childhood bedroom

Maybe there's no overarching intent here and the "old Twin Peaks" stuff is going to be nostalgic no matter how it's presented, but that was my first thought and I heard a couple podcasters echo that sentiment. I guess we'll see!
claytonshaul

Post by claytonshaul »

Parts 1 and 2 are now available through Showtime's youtube page (for free). However, they are censored for nudity and violence. There is a specific edit choice with one of the censored scenes that I may actually enjoy more than the original.
thedougpa
RR Diner Member

Post by thedougpa »

claytonshaul wrote:Parts 1 and 2 are now available through Showtime's youtube page (for free). However, they are censored for nudity and violence. There is a specific edit choice with one of the censored scenes that I may actually enjoy more than the original.
Can you elaborate?
TweetPeak
Roadhouse Member

Post by TweetPeak »

wxray
RR Diner Member

Post by wxray »

What a forking joke! I didn't waste too much time with this. It is an intentionally brainless edit. And by that, I don't mean Lynch doesn't have a brain, he did it for the brainless standards of TV-14 USA. If you find the following interesting, you are free to waste 2 hours:
fork.JPG
fork.JPG (23.59 KiB) Viewed 10737 times
venus.JPG
venus.JPG (14.85 KiB) Viewed 10737 times
nice.JPG
nice.JPG (20.45 KiB) Viewed 10736 times
Hockey Mask
RR Diner Member

Post by Hockey Mask »

Ha! I like the black bar across the statue.
wxray
RR Diner Member

Post by wxray »

Hockey Mask wrote:Ha! I like the black bar across the statue.
Yes. This has got to be a Lynch approved over-reaction making a point about art censorship. I've never seen the Greek classics censored. It was always one you could get on TV.

I will say there is a possible clue on the censorship of the "experiment box alien". For most of the scenes of the creature in the box, no censoring. Then, for some reason, there is a big old black box across the chest and crotch, for just a few seconds.
MysteryMan14
Roadhouse Member

Post by MysteryMan14 »

I don't know if It was mentioned before but after rewatching First two episodes I've got few observations
- Cooper appeared in the Glass box when the boy left the room and was looking for a guard. As we know his task was an observation of the box. So I ponder if he was killed by this creature because he failed. Maybe It was some sort of punishment. Before his dead he mentioned that the guy who'd worked before him saw something but as we can assume he wasnt harmed in any way.
- I rewarched It with headphones the Sounds and faint Music in the background are awesome and ominous.
- I can hear chickens in the background during the scene when Mr C. was with Otis.
And finaly what the hell is in the jar which is on the table next to Otis? :D
wxray
RR Diner Member

Post by wxray »

MysteryMan14 wrote: And finaly what the hell is in the jar which is on the table next to Otis? :D
They appear to be canned green peanuts. Goes perfectly with mason jar moonshine.