Parts 1 & 2 - My log has a message for you & The stars turn and a time presents itself (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne, Brad D, Annie

LateReg

Re: Parts 1 & 2 - My log has a message for you & The stars turn and a time presents itself (SPOILERS)

Postby LateReg » Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:11 pm

Mr. Reindeer wrote:I can’t remember if this has been said (aloud) before, but in the Jason S. behind the scenes film for Part 1, the Fireman scene “starts” (since they shot it in reverse) with Cooper shaking (presumably having just manifested), then looking around at the place, then the Fireman entering and sitting. The Fireman then says, “Beware the thirteenth sycamore.”

Could this be referring to the tree by the gold pond? Is it possible this isn’t a “good” entryway despite appearances? Not only does the doppel get trapped there (presumably by the Fireman’s hand), but good Cooper’s plans go awry when he tries to bring Laura there.

I was going to say that it may be the Evolution of the Arm's doppelganger. But, going off what we discussed recently, it would appear that Cooper meets with the Fireman sometime after the Arm's doppelganger banishes him to nonexistence, possibly directly before he arrives in the basement of the Great Northern (given the reappearance of the pin...I think). So it makes sense that it would be that seemingly golden sycamore.
Mr. Reindeer

Re: Parts 1 & 2 - My log has a message for you & The stars turn and a time presents itself (SPOILERS)

Postby Mr. Reindeer » Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:22 pm

LateReg wrote:
Mr. Reindeer wrote:I can’t remember if this has been said (aloud) before, but in the Jason S. behind the scenes film for Part 1, the Fireman scene “starts” (since they shot it in reverse) with Cooper shaking (presumably having just manifested), then looking around at the place, then the Fireman entering and sitting. The Fireman then says, “Beware the thirteenth sycamore.”

Could this be referring to the tree by the gold pond? Is it possible this isn’t a “good” entryway despite appearances? Not only does the doppel get trapped there (presumably by the Fireman’s hand), but good Cooper’s plans go awry when he tries to bring Laura there.

I was going to say that it may be the Evolution of the Arm's doppelganger. But, going off what we discussed recently, it would appear that Cooper meets with the Fireman sometime after the Arm's doppelganger banishes him to nonexistence, possibly directly before he arrives in the basement of the Great Northern (given the reappearance of the pin...I think). So it makes sense that it would be that seemingly golden sycamore.

The connection to EotA crossed my mind too. There’s not any reason it can’t refer to both the gold pond and EotA and/or his doppel, given the clear visual link.
Mr. Reindeer

Postby Mr. Reindeer » Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:33 am

Mr. Reindeer wrote:
LateReg wrote:

The connection to EotA crossed my mind too. There’s not any reason it can’t refer to both the gold pond and EotA and/or his doppel, given the clear visual link.

BTW, it feels nicely apropos to me that this scene was shot on Leap Day (2/29/2016). That gels nicely with the sense of time displacement/confusion, as well as the idea of there being an extra of something (sycamores, days of the month).

Return to “Parts Discussion”