Part 6 - Don't die (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Mairzy
Roadhouse Member

Re: Part 6 - Don't die (SPOILERS)

Post by Mairzy »

IAmHappeningAgain wrote:Forgot to say that I sure hope they hired Jeremy Davies to do more than THAT. :shock:
Where was Jeremy Davies? The money collector guy?
SpookyDollhouse
RR Diner Member

Re: DOUGIE RESOLUTION

Post by SpookyDollhouse »

garethw wrote:
BEARisonFord wrote:
WhiteLodge90 wrote: Not complaining about the overall show just want this gag to play itself out finally.
I think you're underestimating the narrative Lynch/Frost are creating here by passing DougieCoop off as a gag. I get some people are frustrated and while a lot of it is seemingly played for laughs, there's clearly something deeper going on both thematically and narratively, that much is clear with the past 2 episodes I think, so I'm going to hang in there. Lynch/Frost continue to defy my expectations and that's a good thing.
+1
+2
JohnGSmoke
Roadhouse Member

Re: RE: Re: Part 6 - Don't die (SPOILERS)

Post by JohnGSmoke »

asquideatingdough wrote:
djsunyc wrote:so hawk found the missing pages from laura's diary?
That's what I took from that scene, yep.
Weren't them pages yellow?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
MasterMastermind
RR Diner Member

Post by MasterMastermind »

Taperecorder wrote:I am really starting to love the Dougie/Cooper scenes. I feel like it is the heart and soul of the show right now.
Agreed, there's a lot going on there. Far more than just wacky gags. I don't think it'll change before episode 9 at the earliest so everybody better stay settled in.
garethw
RR Diner Member

Re: RE: Re: Part 6 - Don't die (SPOILERS)

Post by garethw »

JohnGSmoke wrote:
asquideatingdough wrote:
djsunyc wrote:so hawk found the missing pages from laura's diary?
That's what I took from that scene, yep.
Weren't them pages yellow?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Yellowed with time, maybe?
FlyingSquirrel
RR Diner Member

Post by FlyingSquirrel »

Also, was the drug dealer who did the coin trick the same guy who was winking at Shelley at the end of Episode 2?
asquideatingdough
Roadhouse Member

Post by asquideatingdough »

FlyingSquirrel wrote:Also, was the drug dealer who did the coin trick the same guy who was winking at Shelley at the end of Episode 2?
Yes! Red's his name.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

Dougie isn't a gag. Dougie (like Littlefield) is legit.

This was probably the most emotional hour for me so far - from the growing epiphany for Cooper with the papers and the sweet scene with Sonny Jim, to the emotional highs of the sunny scene in the Double R with Heidi, Shelly and the other woman (Heidi's daughter?) to the beautiful setpiece with Carl, Lisa Coronado and the little boy, to the growing realization that Doris was not just a cartoon shrew but very clearly despondent with Frank, until the female deputy (Maggie?) told that asshole Chad about the Trumans. Then the beautiful song with Sharon Van Etten.

The scene with Red and Richard Horne (who has shades of Bobby in his petulant childishness and outbursts, only much darker) was fantastic. And I'm glad the women - Janey-E and even Doris - are now getting more agency.

Loved Diane's hair.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
garethw
RR Diner Member

Post by garethw »

FlyingSquirrel wrote:Chad sure is an asshole. How did he get hired as a cop in the first place?
Same as Deputy Cliff, maybe.

It's interesting that The Fat Trout park is now outside Twin Peaks. Deer Meadow seemed to be like Twin Peak's shadow-self. And feels to me like the two towns are super-imposed on each other, a bit like the theory that the Red Room is goth the White and Block lodge.
Hockey Mask
RR Diner Member

Post by Hockey Mask »

Loved it!

Not sure how a person could get so excited watching a stoplight turn from green to red but I'm guilty.
okjose

Post by okjose »

wxray wrote:
garethw wrote:Question about the Drugged-Out Mom:

Is her "1-1-9" footage from tonight the same footage as we've seen before, or was it different? Looked really similar to me, but haven't compared.
I haven't compared, but she seemed to stutter in the same place. Also had Evan Williams before she took a drink. When she was passed out, the bottle turned to rum. I chalk that up to getting another bottle and not continuity. But anyway, it seemed to be the same. Will have to review.
Just compared them and it is the exact same footage, FYI.

S03E06
S03E03
WhiteLodge90
RR Diner Member
Location: You're on the path. you don't need to know where it leads. just follow.

Post by WhiteLodge90 »

Jasper wrote:
WhiteLodge90 wrote:Thoughts on Red having supernatural powers? Or is he just good with his hands and or a coin?
Don't forget that Richard was also whacked out of his mind.

That's true but to me it seemed pretty clear there was something otherworldly about Red.
The milk will get cool on you pretty soon.
EwanM
Roadhouse Member

Post by EwanM »

First impressions:
I'm a huge Lynch fan, and I've been completely on board with this so far, but, man, that was tough to watch.
The hit and run scene felt gratuitous. We already know Richard Horne is an A grade asshole. The assault in the Roadhouse in Ep5 was more than enough to establish that. Wiping out a kid with his truck? It felt like Lynch was using a sledgehammer rather than a scalpel here.
Enjoyed the scene with Red and the coin.
Naomi Watts was stellar in the scene with the goons.
Always a pleasure to see Harry Dean Stanton.
The hitman dwarf - didn't really work for me.
This episode advanced the plot, but was so relentlessly downbeat that it's not one I'm particularly looking forward to rewatching.
asquideatingdough
Roadhouse Member

Post by asquideatingdough »

"Jade give two rides."
"Oh I'll bet she did!"

Had me rollin'!
Rami Airola
RR Diner Member

Post by Rami Airola »

It was a pretty good episode.

I don't mind the long scenes but it kinda feels like they should have made longer episodes if they are going to have the scenes drag on for so long time.
This episode was over before it was able to really begin.

Pros:
-The Richard scenes were great.
-The hitman scene with Janey-E was great.
-Carl Rodd was great. Him seeing the soul(?) fly got me really emotional.
-I loved how the boss ended up understanding Dougie's scribblings.
-Loved most of the Hawk scene. AInitially I wasn't sure what to think of him finding the diary pages there but the more I thought about the possibility of Philip Gerard picking them up from the original crime scene and planting them there, the more I liked that thought.

Cons:
-Disappointed that Dern plays Diane. I would've wanted Dern to be some less obvious character. I'm also disappointed at how Diane looks like. I would've liked her to be more ordinary.
-While I liked to see Heidi, I felt David was too excited to hear the giggle so she ended up overdoing it.
-While the Hawk scene was great and I loved that he found the possible diary pages, the whole Indian heritage mystery felt a bit too "magic fate" to me.
-Too long scenes in a too short episode. They could've cut lots of material and shown something like maybe Hawk checking out the pages he found instead. Or then they should've just made longer episodes.
-It's my own fault but it definitely would've been better for me to NOT read the "leaked rumors" year or two ago. That one scene would've been way more surprising.