Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

garethw
RR Diner Member

Re: Part 6 - Don't die (SPOILERS)

Post by garethw »

okjose wrote:
wxray wrote:
garethw wrote:Question about the Drugged-Out Mom:

Is her "1-1-9" footage from tonight the same footage as we've seen before, or was it different? Looked really similar to me, but haven't compared.
I haven't compared, but she seemed to stutter in the same place. Also had Evan Williams before she took a drink. When she was passed out, the bottle turned to rum. I chalk that up to getting another bottle and not continuity. But anyway, it seemed to be the same. Will have to review.
Just compared them and it is the exact same footage, FYI.

> S03E06
> S03E03
Cool - thanks for doing the legwork!
JohnGSmoke
Roadhouse Member

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Part 6 - Don't die (SPOILERS)

Post by JohnGSmoke »

garethw wrote:
JohnGSmoke wrote:
asquideatingdough wrote:
That's what I took from that scene, yep.
Weren't them pages yellow?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Yellowed with time, maybe?
Them pages were yellow and I remember the pages of Laura's diary were white. They could be yellow due to age but who put them there?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Robot Butler wrote:This is a Netflix style show airing on a Cable network, which hurts the pacing. I'll take what I can get, but people holding off until it's finished so they can watch it in one quick go are probably going to have a smoother viewing experience than we are.

All in all I'm still loving this.
No way.

The material is way too dense. Binge watching something like this is like cramming for an exam
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

Yeah. I think binging this would be a mess emotionally and tonally. It's just too intense. As much as I wish I could see next week immediately I think it's parceled out well.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Just to add -

I did like the spotlight at Sparkwood and 21. I wonder if this connects somehow to 7?

I noticed the Linda bit too.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

AgentEcho wrote:It definitely shows the weakness of expanding what was initially supposed to be a 9 hour run to 18 hours. A lot of this feels a lot like what Fire Walk with Me edited with the Missing Pieces in would feel like.
Very much agree. It does feel like that. And also agree regarding the 9 to 18 hours jump. I think they should have kept it to a 9 week show and aired 2 a week, though really I think a shorter run of episodes and a faster pace would have been better. Too much of this - no matter how it connects - feels superfluous, very much like a lot of the side stories in "MD".
Last edited by Jonah on Sun Jun 11, 2017 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
garethw
RR Diner Member

Post by garethw »

mtwentz wrote:
Robot Butler wrote:This is a Netflix style show airing on a Cable network, which hurts the pacing. I'll take what I can get, but people holding off until it's finished so they can watch it in one quick go are probably going to have a smoother viewing experience than we are.

No way.

The material is way too dense. Binge watching something like this is like cramming for an exam
I agree, but it also feels weird to me in the quantities presented. Someone commented earlier that there are "too long scenes in too short episodes", and I really empathize. I would like the pacing more, except I know there's only an hour's worth, so when scenes go on a while, I want them to end because I want to see what else is going on in the world before the hour's up. By the end of the hour, it doesn't seem like we've seen a lot of material, and I'm dying to see more.
Last edited by garethw on Sun Jun 11, 2017 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WhiteLodge90
RR Diner Member
Location: You're on the path. you don't need to know where it leads. just follow.

Re: DOUGIE RESOLUTION

Post by WhiteLodge90 »

BEARisonFord wrote:
WhiteLodge90 wrote: Not complaining about the overall show just want this gag to play itself out finally.
I think you're underestimating the narrative Lynch/Frost are creating here by passing DougieCoop off as a gag. I get some people are frustrated and while a lot of it is seemingly played for laughs, there's clearly something deeper going on both thematically and narratively, that much is clear with the past 2 episodes I think, so I'm going to hang in there. Lynch/Frost continue to defy my expectations and that's a good thing.
No I definitely understand that there is meaning to this I'm just saying our time could be better off with clipping some of the scenes with Dougie down. Also let's say hypothetically Dougie doesn't become Cooper till one or two episodes left in the show. Then essentially we wouldn't have the main character of the show in the new series at all. That would be a really unfortunate thing. That's my fear.
The milk will get cool on you pretty soon.
asquideatingdough
Roadhouse Member

Post by asquideatingdough »

When Coop runs his finger over the 7 on the Lucky 7 Insurance case files, it reminded me of the markings on the coffee cups that the Glass Box watchers were drinking from.
GoodMorningAmerica
Roadhouse Member

Post by GoodMorningAmerica »

I’m pretty sure the key to understanding this whole experience was revealed tonight in the Richard and Red scene. I don’t think Red was acting like a maniac for no reason – Richard was perceiving him to be acting like a maniac because HE WAS HIGH ON SUPER WEIRD DRUGS AND HIS PERCEPTION OF RED WAS SUPER FUCKED UP.

So, what I think this is telling us is – if you perceive certain parts of this show as weird, or stilted, or off, or TOO DAMN SLOW, or you perceive some of the women to be too sexy or stiff or cartoonish or shrill – you need to take a moment to examine what’s shaping your perceptions as such.

My log will have more to say about this one day.
BEARisonFord
RR Diner Member

Re: DOUGIE RESOLUTION

Post by BEARisonFord »

WhiteLodge90 wrote:Also let's say hypothetically Dougie doesn't become Cooper till one or two episodes left in the show. Then essentially we wouldn't have the main character of the show in the new series at all. That would be a really unfortunate thing. That's my fear.
No, we would, it just wouldn't be the one you wanted or expected.
garethw
RR Diner Member

Post by garethw »

Jonah wrote:Just to add -

I did like the spotlight at Sparkwood and 21. I wonder if this connects somehow to 7?
Is that where it is? I always thought this light was in the center of the town. I thought it was near the RR, or possibly the intersection where Leland revs the engine.
crash_and_burn
Roadhouse Member

Post by crash_and_burn »

Jonah wrote:
AgentEcho wrote:It definitely shows the weakness of expanding what was initially supposed to be a 9 hour run to 18 hours. A lot of this feels a lot like what Fire Walk with Me edited with the Missing Pieces in would feel like.
Very much agree. It does feel like that. And also agree regarding the 9 to 18 hours jump. I think they should have kept it to a 9 week show and aired 2 a week, though really I think a shorter run would have been better. Too much of this - no matter how it connects - feels superfluous, very much like a lot of the side stories in "MD".
I have a feeling Lynch is adjusting the pace of each scene and each part the closer we get to the finale.

It's set to match the Laura line about falling through space ...

Everything will get faster and faster until we finally burst into "fire".

That will be when it feels truly dark, because all of the Angels will have gone away.

I think there will be some very shocking losses in this and we will be tested along with Dale.

I think this entire season represents the ACTUAL test of the Lodge.
Esselgee
RR Diner Member

Post by Esselgee »

Is anyone able to make out any of the writing on the pages that Hawk found? I tried but couldn't make out anything. Anyone have some software that could make the text more readable?
Ashok
Great Northern Member

Post by Ashok »

mtwentz wrote:

No way.

Agreed. Twin Peaks S3 reminds me of watching something like The X-Files or Twin Peaks back in the day. The plotting is incredibly dense and I really need a week just to process all the details. I can't even imagine this working on Netflix. Imho, it feels like a classic 1990s style network show (which Twin Peaks is --- literally) airing on a cable network in 2017.
"Whatever happened, happened." -Daniel Faraday