Part 6 - Don't die (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Jonah
Global Moderator

Re: Part 6 - Don't die (SPOILERS)

Post by Jonah »

I love slow Lynchian scenes, aka the opening of Episode 8 in the original series, the bank scene in Episode 29, etc. But it feels like too many of them now and it's really dragging the pace. I also think parcelling out a little bit of TP-set scenes here and there, sprinkled throughout, is becoming tiring. They feel more like "Missing Pieces" or deleted scenes in "The David Lynch Show". It still feels to me like Lynch wanted to not only bring back "TP", but also make the "MD" series he never got to make. I think grouping more "TP" scenes together would have been a better idea. And I miss the music. I agree that some of the scenes are too long for some episodes. And also some of it feels very disconnected. For example, the Diane bit - first teased at the end of Episode 4, nothing about it in Episode 5, then a brief - too brief - scene in Episode 6. The Dougie scenes seem to be the only consistent bits so far, but they are growing repetitive as well as tiring. There doesn't seem to be any major progression.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
FlyingSquirrel
RR Diner Member

Post by FlyingSquirrel »

garethw wrote:
FlyingSquirrel wrote:Chad sure is an asshole. How did he get hired as a cop in the first place?
Same as Deputy Cliff, maybe.

It's interesting that The Fat Trout park is now outside Twin Peaks. Deer Meadow seemed to be like Twin Peak's shadow-self. And feels to me like the two towns are super-imposed on each other, a bit like the theory that the Red Room is goth the White and Block lodge.
I had the impression the two were somewhat close, though not quite as close as they're portrayed in this episode with "going into town" meaning going to TP for the trailer park residents.

Or maybe, since Carl did grow up in TP according to the Secret History, he doesn't mind a longer trek to visit his former home and a few other residents now have connections there as well through him.
djsunyc
RR Diner Member

Re: DOUGIE RESOLUTION

Post by djsunyc »

BEARisonFord wrote:
WhiteLodge90 wrote:Also let's say hypothetically Dougie doesn't become Cooper till one or two episodes left in the show. Then essentially we wouldn't have the main character of the show in the new series at all. That would be a really unfortunate thing. That's my fear.
No, we would, it just wouldn't be the one you wanted or expected.
it depends really. it would be like going to a concert for one of your favorite bands growing up only to see they are performing 90% new material and none of the classics you were hoping to hear. the new stuff could be good but chances are you won't really appreciate or like it in the moment while sitting at the concert. you may like it later on but considering it wasn't what you expected, it may take some time to digest. i think that's kind of the mindset some fans are in now. then 100 mins into a 120 min concert, you still haven't heard any song you recognize.
WhiteLodge90
RR Diner Member
Location: You're on the path. you don't need to know where it leads. just follow.

Post by WhiteLodge90 »

BEARisonFord wrote:
WhiteLodge90 wrote:Also let's say hypothetically Dougie doesn't become Cooper till one or two episodes left in the show. Then essentially we wouldn't have the main character of the show in the new series at all. That would be a really unfortunate thing. That's my fear.

No it wouldn't this isn't Cooper. Let's be real. It's a mindless child like soul in the body and life of a man named Dougie.

Again not saying I don't like the characters scenes just fear we won't get Coopers mind back until it's too late.
The milk will get cool on you pretty soon.
garethw
RR Diner Member

Post by garethw »

I'm intrigued by the idea that Lunch floated a while ago that maybe the best way to watch this was in random order.

I get the impression we've seen a number of things later in the show that occurred earlier in time.
BEARisonFord
RR Diner Member

Post by BEARisonFord »

Robot Butler wrote:This is a Netflix style show airing on a Cable network, which hurts the pacing. I'll take what I can get, but people holding off until it's finished so they can watch it in one quick go are probably going to have a smoother viewing experience than we are.

All in all I'm still loving this.
Like some of the others have said, I am really, really glad this isn't available all at once to watch. As frustrating as some of the nitpicking and illogical fan theories are, I'm very happy to be able to digest these episodes on a week to week basis with everyone. The compulsive side of me loves binge watching, but I'm glad I get to let these episodes marinade. I was also pretty bummed I watched 1-4 immediately and then had to wait weeks for 5.
AmyCringeneck

Post by AmyCringeneck »

FlyingSquirrel wrote:
garethw wrote:
FlyingSquirrel wrote:Chad sure is an asshole. How did he get hired as a cop in the first place?
Same as Deputy Cliff, maybe.

It's interesting that The Fat Trout park is now outside Twin Peaks. Deer Meadow seemed to be like Twin Peak's shadow-self. And feels to me like the two towns are super-imposed on each other, a bit like the theory that the Red Room is goth the White and Block lodge.
I had the impression the two were somewhat close, though not quite as close as they're portrayed in this episode with "going into town" meaning going to TP for the trailer park residents.

Or maybe, since Carl did grow up in TP according to the Secret History, he doesn't mind a longer trek to visit his former home and a few other residents now have connections there as well through him.
I believe FWWM established Deer Meadow as being in Oregon. Since Twin Peaks is located in NE Washington state near Spokane, he's moved quite a long way.
djsunyc
RR Diner Member

Post by djsunyc »

garethw wrote:I'm intrigued by the idea that Lunch floated a while ago that maybe the best way to watch this was in random order.

I get the impression we've seen a number of things later in the show that occurred earlier in time.
i think after this is all said and done, someone is going to youtube the entire show with all related scenes put together.
WhiteLodge90
RR Diner Member
Location: You're on the path. you don't need to know where it leads. just follow.

Post by WhiteLodge90 »

GoodMorningAmerica wrote:I’m pretty sure the key to understanding this whole experience was revealed tonight in the Richard and Red scene. I don’t think Red was acting like a maniac for no reason – Richard was perceiving him to be acting like a maniac because HE WAS HIGH ON SUPER WEIRD DRUGS AND HIS PERCEPTION OF RED WAS SUPER FUCKED UP.

So, what I think this is telling us is – if you perceive certain parts of this show as weird, or stilted, or off, or TOO DAMN SLOW, or you perceive some of the women to be too sexy or stiff or cartoonish or shrill – you need to take a moment to examine what’s shaping your perceptions as such.

My log will have more to say about this one day.

Interesting theory but I believe Red really does have some sort of otherworldy power to him. Either that or he's very good with his hands
The milk will get cool on you pretty soon.
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

It seems a lot of people are looking at the Richard hit and run as a sign of him being an asshole, but I viewed it more as evil just spilling out into the world. He didn't kill the kid on purpose; that's how murder in Twin Peaks works this season, ie, it just happens accidentally because the evil is out in the world. I also almost viewed it as a tragedy rather than the act of an asshole. There's almost something tragic about Richard that was revealed this episode, I felt.

Which is the scene in this part that people are talking about that they already knew about from the spoiler days?
Last edited by LateReg on Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
djsunyc
RR Diner Member

Post by djsunyc »

WhiteLodge90 wrote:
GoodMorningAmerica wrote:I’m pretty sure the key to understanding this whole experience was revealed tonight in the Richard and Red scene. I don’t think Red was acting like a maniac for no reason – Richard was perceiving him to be acting like a maniac because HE WAS HIGH ON SUPER WEIRD DRUGS AND HIS PERCEPTION OF RED WAS SUPER FUCKED UP.

So, what I think this is telling us is – if you perceive certain parts of this show as weird, or stilted, or off, or TOO DAMN SLOW, or you perceive some of the women to be too sexy or stiff or cartoonish or shrill – you need to take a moment to examine what’s shaping your perceptions as such.

My log will have more to say about this one day.

Interesting theory but I believe Red really does have some sort of otherworldy power to him. Either that or he's very good with his hands
i think the liver and the stopping of the leg was a tell that he is possessed by someone from the lodge.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

WhiteLodge90 wrote:
BEARisonFord wrote:

No it wouldn't this isn't Cooper. Let's be real. It's a mindless child like soul in the body and life of a man named Dougie.
It's Dale Cooper. It's just a very discombobulated one.

I also suspect the Alzheimer's analogy others have raised - and the effect that kind of aging and loss of self or consciousness has on a person - was a big part of this for both Lynch and Frost. It's an emotional journey, it's not just an extended riff on Jacques Tati or Being There.

I also think there was something tragic about Richard, for as awful as he is; he's just a foolish, hateful kid. And yeah, I took the hit and run as a sign of more evil leaking out of the backwoods and into the town proper. Hidden no more, just like before.

As for scenes spoiled, the one I think some of us knew about was the hit and run. We knew there was a kid who got hit and that Lisa Coronado was there, that Carl saw them. I didn't know anything else.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Jonah wrote:I love slow Lynchian scenes, aka the opening of Episode 8 in the original series, the bank scene in Episode 29, etc. But it feels like too many of them now and it's really dragging the pace. I also think parcelling out a little bit of TP-set scenes here and there, sprinkled throughout, is becoming tiring. They feel more like "Missing Pieces" or deleted scenes in "The David Lynch Show". It still feels to me like Lynch wanted to not only bring back "TP", but also make the "MD" series he never got to make. I think grouping more "TP" scenes together would have been a better idea. And I miss the music. I agree that some of the scenes are too long for some episodes. And also some of it feels very disconnected. For example, the Diane bit - first teased at the end of Episode 4, nothing about it in Episode 5, then a brief - too brief - scene in Episode 6. The Dougie scenes seem to be the only consistent bits so far, but they are growing repetitive as well as tiring. There doesn't seem to be any major progression.
Stuff like the Diane bit has always been a part of Twin Peaks. Windom Earle did not show up on screen until months after he was first mentioned.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
sylviecerise
Roadhouse Member

Post by sylviecerise »

DougieCoop is wearing his own suit today, so I'm guessing he's going to snap back in next week's episode.
crash_and_burn
Roadhouse Member

Post by crash_and_burn »

mtwentz wrote:
Jonah wrote:I love slow Lynchian scenes, aka the opening of Episode 8 in the original series, the bank scene in Episode 29, etc. But it feels like too many of them now and it's really dragging the pace. I also think parcelling out a little bit of TP-set scenes here and there, sprinkled throughout, is becoming tiring. They feel more like "Missing Pieces" or deleted scenes in "The David Lynch Show". It still feels to me like Lynch wanted to not only bring back "TP", but also make the "MD" series he never got to make. I think grouping more "TP" scenes together would have been a better idea. And I miss the music. I agree that some of the scenes are too long for some episodes. And also some of it feels very disconnected. For example, the Diane bit - first teased at the end of Episode 4, nothing about it in Episode 5, then a brief - too brief - scene in Episode 6. The Dougie scenes seem to be the only consistent bits so far, but they are growing repetitive as well as tiring. There doesn't seem to be any major progression.
Stuff like the Diane bit has always been a part of Twin Peaks. Windom Earle did not show up on screen until months after he was first mentioned.
+1