Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

vicksvapor77
Great Northern Member

Re: Part 6 - Don't die (SPOILERS)

Post by vicksvapor77 »

N. Needleman wrote:
vicksvapor77 wrote:
N. Needleman wrote:It's my understanding there was quite a bit of Twin Peaks-set soundstage work in LA, but I may be wrong.
From what I know, that's largely incorrect. :/
Didn't they film a fair bit of this Roadhouse stuff (and not just the musical numbers) in LA?
The Great Northern and the Roadhouse are the two Twin Peaks set locations that spring to mind, but I'd have to think about it.

There are a few LA Twin Peaks locales, like Glastonbury Grove and
Spoiler:
Sarah's grocery store.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

BEARisonFord wrote:Like I said previously, FWWM essentially did exactly what S3 is doing now: subverting almost everything people knew and liked from what came previously, I don't know why it's so shocking to see it being done again.
I don't so much think we find it shocking, as we're wondering why. I don't think we're even complaining. More sort of scratching our heads as to why this is the case. And as someone else pointed out, FWWM subverted it - but only to a point. Much of that movie was still set in Twin Peaks and very much focused on Laura. Only the Deer Meadow intro (likely due to McLachlan not wanting to shoot much time) and the lack of some original characters really deviated from the show. This time around it seems they've done everything they can to avoid spending much time either in the town or with old characters, even though they managed to get most of the actors back.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
WhiteLodge90
RR Diner Member
Location: You're on the path. you don't need to know where it leads. just follow.

Post by WhiteLodge90 »

BEARisonFord wrote:
WhiteLodge90 wrote:
BEARisonFord wrote:
I was just using your word of "owed" I'm not necessarily saying I'm owed anything more so that Lynch and Frost should feel they owe it to us to give some substance to the original characters. I don't get your argument of FWWM setting the tone for this when 75% of the movie dealt with Twin Peaks. Sure it was different aspets of Twin Peaks then the show but it was Twin Peaks none the less.
What i'm saying is that almost universally people expected Fire Walk With Me to play to the strengths and tones set in the original tv show. Not only did it not do that, it straight up didn't include most of the cast from the tv show! People walked out of that movie asking where the Twin Peaks they knew and loved was. It simply was telling a different story that didn't dictate that Harry S. Truman, Andy, or anyone else "needed" to have storylines, or anything else serviced besides what was intended. This is all irrelevant to whether or not someone actually LIKES it, but is completely representative of what Lynch/Frost are doing with season 3. This is a different story, with different people, doing different things than what some people want.
But the major difference if you agree or not is that those scenes in the movie still took place in Twin Peaks with characters we knew. Having other story lines is fine but the handling of when they are in Twin Peaks is I think the biggest issue most have.
The milk will get cool on you pretty soon.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

AmyCringeneck wrote:
Jerry Horne wrote:Do not spoil upcoming episodes based on what you witnessed during filming.
I didn't. I could easily have spelled it all out and intentionally didn't. "Waiting will be rewarded" was my point.

In any case, thanks for reminding me why it's been so long since I was last on here.
You stated that certain characters would return based on what was witnessed in person. Although to most it seems obvious these characters would return, we ask that people be considerate of revealing that sort of information. If you wish to discuss further please do so via PM.
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
vicksvapor77
Great Northern Member

Post by vicksvapor77 »

BEARisonFord wrote:
WhiteLodge90 wrote:
BEARisonFord wrote:
I was just using your word of "owed" I'm not necessarily saying I'm owed anything more so that Lynch and Frost should feel they owe it to us to give some substance to the original characters. I don't get your argument of FWWM setting the tone for this when 75% of the movie dealt with Twin Peaks. Sure it was different aspets of Twin Peaks then the show but it was Twin Peaks none the less.
What i'm saying is that almost universally people expected Fire Walk With Me to play to the strengths and tones set in the original tv show. Not only did it not do that, it straight up didn't include most of the cast from the tv show! People walked out of that movie asking where the Twin Peaks they knew and loved was. It simply was telling a different story that didn't dictate that Harry S. Truman, Andy, or anyone else "needed" to have storylines, or anything else serviced besides what was intended. This is all irrelevant to whether or not someone actually LIKES it, but is completely representative of what Lynch/Frost are doing with season 3. This is a different story, with different people, doing different things than what some people want.
I will say, I do think some of the minor original characters so far, like Ben, James, Norma, Nadine and Ed, will have roles that impact the overall tapestry in a meaningful way. I am just anxious to get to them. I think people can watch shows for many reasons and I don't think any of us should judge any others for tuning in or tuning out for Character/Story A or B, the same way we can't get too hung up on why Lynch/Frost did/didn't do A or B.

I'm personally most excited to see Big Ed right now, and more of Bobby. So it's been a painful few weeks!
Last edited by vicksvapor77 on Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WhiteLodge90
RR Diner Member
Location: You're on the path. you don't need to know where it leads. just follow.

Post by WhiteLodge90 »

vicksvapor77 wrote:
WhiteLodge90 wrote:
N. Needleman wrote:It's my understanding there was quite a bit of Twin Peaks-set soundstage work in LA, but I may be wrong.

Is there a Double R sound stage? If so I'd be a bit surprised considered how every time we've seen it thus far you can clearly see the sunlight reflection in the background and shots of outdoors. Not saying they won't do it but that location in particular seems like it was a "location only" shoot.
The Double R was entirely shot on location, for about a week from what I recall.
That's not a lot of time at all especially for how long Lynch has scenes play out of waiting.

I've been on a set of a show on a major cable network for 12 hours for a scene that amounted to a minute and a half of screen time. I've also been on a set for three days for a 12 minute movie. Add four days to that and you'd expect maybe roughly a half hours time to be spend at the double R when all is said and done at best.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Mistertom wrote:
N. Needleman wrote:I'm glad we're the two lunatics who think each episode is better than the last, Snailhead.
Please count me in that group as well , this episode was fantastic.
Me as well. Well, two caveats: Part 3 might still be my favorite due to the pure Lynchian poetry of the opening sequence, the best thing in the new show to date. And Part 4 was my least favorite due to its emphasis on slow-paced comedy. But otherwise, this show is just getting better and better. This was by far the most disturbing, funniest, saddest, most powerful hour overall. The show is firing on all cylinders and exceeding my wildest expectations.
vicksvapor77
Great Northern Member

Post by vicksvapor77 »

WhiteLodge90 wrote:That's not a lot of time at all especially for how long Lynch has scenes play out of waiting.

I've been on a set of a show on a major cable network for 12 hours for a scene that amounted to a minute and a half of screen time. I've also been on a set for three days for a 12 minute movie. Add four days to that and you'd expect maybe roughly a half hours time to be spend at the double R when all is said and done at best.
I assume Lynch was particularly efficient on location but we shall see!
John Justice Wheeler
RR Diner Member

Post by John Justice Wheeler »

Bizarrely perhaps (and this is even a surprise to me) I actually far prefer the other locales and characters to the familiar ones. This is probably a large part of why I prefer the approach of parts 1-3. I'm absolutely not actively anticipating when Fenn's entrance will be for instance. Frankly, I really don't care. I suspect whatever master narrative there is will be far more clear once the show is over but I'm not really eagerly anticipating that either. I'm not actually eagerly anticipating much of anything, including the appearance of the new episodes now which is another big shock to me. That seems to me possibly both appropriate and an indicator of the show (or the episode delivery structure) being ill conceived. Right now I'm stuck in the middle with this. It is occasionally fascinating in its dislocation and disassociation but then seems to have settled into a place where it does not go far enough with that, veering toward a kind of narrative cohesion which I don't personally welcome but can certainly understand. Still, the ultra scattered, dispersed quality remains and makes drama generally problematic. It ends up succeeding for me now on more of a scene by scene basis which is just about the only way I can appreciate MD too. The other fear I have (enhanced by the weekly episode delivery system) is a non-productive frustration, alluded to already by some here, in which what some of us really respond to, appreciate and are interested in has no assurance of remaining and we may end up in a place in which all that's lost to a shift toward the other extreme. The positive side of this is that if that's what happens it can be in the reverse way as well, so that may please those who have ben entirely displeased and unsatisfied till now I guess.
BEARisonFord
RR Diner Member

Post by BEARisonFord »

WhiteLodge90 wrote:
But the major difference if you agree or not is that those scenes in the movie still took place in Twin Peaks with characters we knew. Having other story lines is fine but the handling of when they are in Twin Peaks is I think the biggest issue most have.
The argument remains the same though: you wish they were doing different things with different characters instead of what they're doing now. This is exactly what people said about FWWM, regardless of it being set in Twin Peaks (for the most part).

Anyway, I hope some of your concerns are alleviated. There's still a lot more to see, and I'm excited to see how it all feels when everything is said and done.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

At this point I am wondering how Lillard will ever figure into it again in a significant way, or the woman who was shot, Sam & Tracey (apart from maybe the thing in the box). And all the goons in Vegas. A lot of this feels superfluous - which I'm all for in small doses. But so far so very much of this is being focused on stuff like this. Maybe some of this will connect later on, but I don't think so. And the Dougie stuff has been overplayed - it was already tiring in Episode 5, but Episode 6 really overextended it. Narratively, it revealed nothing new - he has psychic abilities from the lodge, he still likes coffee, he's still in a trance-like state, his previous doppelganger owed money to people - and yet it spent so very much time reiterating all this same ground. This episode even replayed the scene with the woman chanting numbers - the exact same shot. It just feels like its treading ground or killing time now.

I will say one thing though - for those who complained back in the day that the waiter scene at the beginning of Season 2 was Lynch trolling the audience, he seems to be doing it 100,000 times more now in some of these scenes. A part of me does love that subversion and lack of convention - but a bigger part of me would like to be following a more exciting story (or stories) at this point. And still thinks it's a shame to be underusing so many great actors.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
John Justice Wheeler
RR Diner Member

Post by John Justice Wheeler »

Jonah wrote: A lot of this feels superfluous - which I'm all for in small doses. But so far so very much of this is being focused on stuff like this. Maybe some of this will connect later on, but I don't think so.
Good. I hope not. I mean, superfluous to what?
WhiteLodge90
RR Diner Member

Post by WhiteLodge90 »

Good point Jonah. Lillard's character is another one I thought we'd be getting a lot more from when the first two episodes came out. I'd much rather spend time there then in Vegas. His storyline and character had depth to it and felt important.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

John Justice Wheeler wrote:
Jonah wrote: A lot of this feels superfluous - which I'm all for in small doses. But so far so very much of this is being focused on stuff like this. Maybe some of this will connect later on, but I don't think so.
Good. I hope not. I mean, superfluous to what?
To an overarching storyline/theme? Which is fine too, I guess - in the "enjoy the ride" approach. But if this is building to something more connected to Cooper's journey and the lives of those in the town, then a lot of this stuff may prove to be insignificant in later episodes. I suppose there's different ways of looking at that though. It's not necessarily a bad thing, just sort of frustrating at this point, and on a weekly basis.
MasterMastermind
RR Diner Member

Post by MasterMastermind »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:
Mistertom wrote:
N. Needleman wrote:I'm glad we're the two lunatics who think each episode is better than the last, Snailhead.
Please count me in that group as well , this episode was fantastic.
Me as well. Well, two caveats: Part 3 might still be my favorite due to the pure Lynchian poetry of the opening sequence, the best thing in the new show to date. And Part 4 was my least favorite due to its emphasis on slow-paced comedy. But otherwise, this show is just getting better and better. This was by far the most disturbing, funniest, saddest, most powerful hour overall. The show is firing on all cylinders and exceeding my wildest expectations.
Pretty much the same for me. 3's my favorite, 4's my least favorite, and this one was good. I did prefer 5, though!