Part 6 - Don't die (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

TheAlien
RR Diner Member

Re: Part 6 - Don't die (SPOILERS)

Post by TheAlien »

thefifthlizard wrote:So this is the first episode so far without an appearance from BadCoop?
Woah! Somehow that never crossed my mind :shock:
For I am I: ergo, the truth of myself; my own sphinx, conflict, chaos, vortex—asymmetric to all rhythms, oblique to all paths. I am the prism between black and white: mine own unison in duality.
― Austin Osman Spare
Twink Peaks
RR Diner Member

Post by Twink Peaks »

Dougie and his wife are so annoying :roll:
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Twink Peaks wrote:Dougie and his wife are so annoying :roll:
So what do you think about Hailey Gates' role. Did you ever picture her as a drugged out mom?
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
MaiTaiRob

Post by MaiTaiRob »

Sorry if this is mentioned before, but I didn't see it...

Was the intersection where the horrific hit-and-run happens the same intersection where Mike Gerard screams at Leland and Laura in their car?

Because it looked eerily similar to me.
Saturn's child
RR Diner Member

Post by Saturn's child »

Akiguchi wrote:Hi everyone! Longtime Twin Peaks fan from Finland here. Excuse my bad English.

Did anyone grasp the possible symbolical meaning of the hit-and-run scene where we are not able to control the fate of our lives, even if we make good choices and are generally good people? Carl already wished for death as he said, had been smoking for 75 years and is pretty old already, but he wasn't the one getting hit by a truck: instead it was a seemingly happy and innocent kid playing with his mother. Before the "accident" Carl also saw supreme happiness and joy in that youthful innocence, and a hope that life could go on on it's track after he himself will soon be dead. That was so sad to see. Life isn't always fair, instead it is a complex web of causes and consequences, where you could get struck by an "unfair" streak, even if you wish for otherwise. And some assholess are there to mess up the odds for us.
Hi Akiguchi, welcome to the board! (your English is good by the way)

My partner & I discussed this very thing after watching. I think most of us of a certain age or experience have seen that, someone taken away mercilessly, while someone else bucks the odds. Speaks to a truth that this ride can be ended any time, & many of the 'healthy' activities we engage in only skew the balance a fraction. Carl is great in his debut, serves as a kind of conduit, speaks something to the mother. He's like a shaman in that moment, really.

Also, I noticed that the word 'kid' is made a deal of in the conversation between Richard & Red, it's repeated three times. Then when he's driving off, Richard says something about being called a kid, fucking kid, etc, then he hits a kid. Felt foreshadowy.
MasterMastermind
RR Diner Member

Post by MasterMastermind »

I don't think Coop's mistaken identity subplot is too played-out. We might be a third of the way through but it didn't start until halfway through episode 3.
LonelySoul
RR Diner Member

Post by LonelySoul »

MasterMastermind wrote:I don't think Coop's mistaken identity subplot is too played-out. We might be a third of the way through but it didn't start until halfway through episode 3.
True, but we haven't had real, actual Coop at all yet. So far we've had Lodge-confused Coop where he walks around lost rarely reacting to his surroundings or we've had Veggie-Dougie-Coop where he walks around lost rarely reacting to his surroundings. We're six hours in and it's getting old. Even the lodge spirits are growing frustrated.
Come hang out at http://www.reddit.com/r/twinpeaks. I'm /u/iswitt, one of the moderators.
Hockey Mask
RR Diner Member

Post by Hockey Mask »

Akiguchi wrote:Hi everyone! Longtime Twin Peaks fan from Finland here. Excuse my bad English.

Did anyone grasp the possible symbolical meaning of the hit-and-run scene where we are not able to control the fate of our lives, even if we make good choices and are generally good people? Carl already wished for death as he said, had been smoking for 75 years and is pretty old already, but he wasn't the one getting hit by a truck: instead it was a seemingly happy and innocent kid playing with his mother. Before the "accident" Carl also saw supreme happiness and joy in that youthful innocence, and a hope that life could go on on it's track after he himself will soon be dead. That was so sad to see. Life isn't always fair, instead it is a complex web of causes and consequences, where you could get struck by an "unfair" streak, even if you wish for otherwise. And some assholess are there to mess up the odds for us.
Very nicely summed up.
krishnanspace wrote:
mtwentz wrote:
douglasb wrote:I cringed at the 'soul' effect after the accident.

I cringed at the acting of the extras in the same scene.

The clue for Hawk proving to be pretty mundane is really no different than the 'man in the smiling bag'.

Watts was great, but if we get a 'Janey-E vs. Crazy Dwarf' fight scene I think the show will jump the shark big time. Clearly Coop is in no condition to defend himself so I'm a little concerned the newly assertive J-E will step in to save him in the event of an assassination attempt.
It is counterproductive to create in one's mind a scene that probably won't happen anyway, and state that hypothetical scene will ruin the show before one has already seen said hypothetical scene

For the last two years on this board, we have seen countless examples of, 'I will not like this show if it's too surrealistic', 'I won't like it if Good Coop is not already out of the Lodge', 'I won't like it if it's not like the old series', or 'I won't like it if it's too much like the old series and plays on nostalgia', or 'I won't like it if there are alternate timelines'....

At a certain point, we've just got to let go of any and all expectations and watch what is presented to us, and then (and only then) decide if we like it or not: we cannot pre-judge plot developments and footage we have not yet seen, as it is all in the execution.

The above having been said, my worse nightmare is that we end Twin Peaks with Dale still trapped inside the Black Lodge :-).
Worst nightmare for me would be if Laura says I'll see you again in 25 years in the last episode :D
Wouldn't that be a kick in the arse. Not hating it though.
garethw
RR Diner Member

Post by garethw »

It always makes me smile when non-English speakers apologize for their English, then proceed to write at least as well as the average native speaker :).

The other curious thing I found about the shocking death of the young boy is that in the previous part, another little boy was saved from a dreadful death by circumstances outside his control.

It occurred to me that they might even have been the result of some grotesque... trade.
BMS242
Roadhouse Member

Re: RE: Re: Part 6 - Don't die (SPOILERS)

Post by BMS242 »

Jonah wrote: It really does feel like a 9 hour show was written and doubled to 18 on set.
Agreed.

At this point, I am definitely of the opinion that it was a mistake to not release two hours each week. This would have allowed for the plot to move forward a little more each week but also maintain Lynch's pace.

If I wasn't worried about spoilers, I'd consider holding out and watching the show at that pace.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
AgentEcho
RR Diner Member

Post by AgentEcho »

I didn't really think the acting of the extras in the hit and run scene was that bad. They were affected but still emotionally distant, which is how a lot of people would react, and I agree the contrast of how Carl responded was significant. Plus the acting of the mother was so brutally on point I felt it carried the emotional weight of the scene.

The murders of the dwarf assassin were also tough to watch. Scenes like that sometimes make me wonder if David Lynch isn't better with some restraints, though obviously I'd prefer it if they were self imposed But I think of Maddie's murder in the original series, which, despite airing on network TV in 1991, is probably still the most powerfully bone chilling scene in the history of television. And Lynch was forced to find ways to make it that bone chilling without focusing on carnage. It's interesting to speculate how he might have directed that scene if he had no restraints... would it have been as masterful?

Not that the murder scene here should compare... we are not nearly as invested in what is happening here. We hardly know the woman who was killed and a major mystery is not being unveiled simultaneously, but the gory stabbing , while hard to watch, felt more like shock for the sake of shock that we see a lot in modern scripted television. Though one murder happened off screen which reminded me of the use of off screen space in the earlier scene.

Couldn't help but think of MJA when I saw the little person. I hope that he turned out to be a raving animalistic lunatic was not intended as a dig at MJA. Who maybe deserves it, but not in a way that highlights drawfism. I'll give Lynch the benefit of the doubt here but certainly the prospect popped in my mind when watching those scenes.
Dom834
Roadhouse Member

Post by Dom834 »

douglasb wrote:Clearly Coop is in no condition to defend himself so I'm a little concerned the newly assertive J-E will step in to save him in the event of an assassination attempt.
The dwarf has been given the address of Dougie's workplace. I guess he might come to attack Dougie while he's away with Janey-E to see the doctor. Dougie has magical luck. The boss is an ex-boxing champion...
douglasb
RR Diner Member

Post by douglasb »

Well, the killing scene won't do much to counter those who've been complaining about continued female victimisation.
LonelySoul
RR Diner Member

Post by LonelySoul »

douglasb wrote:Well, the killing scene won't do much to counter those who've been complaining about continued female victimisation.
To be fair, she was in charge (in some way) of getting the original hit on Dougie completed. It seems like someone thought she failed and hired Ike to kill her and Dougie instead. So it's not like it's a random act of violence against an innocent. She wasn't a saint either. Unless I missed something and I'm completely off base here...
Come hang out at http://www.reddit.com/r/twinpeaks. I'm /u/iswitt, one of the moderators.
DouglasFir

Post by DouglasFir »

Jerry Horne wrote:In Rancho Rosa there have been several references to Cooper sleeping. The Giant tells him Don't die. Is Cooper in a coma somewhere?
+1
And the ZZ references on the coffee cups (like in cartoons, when a character is "sawing logs" there is a speech bubble with Z's to indicate that the character is sleeping/in dreamland).