Part 6 - Don't die (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

anthoto1
Roadhouse Member

Re: Part 6 - Don't die (SPOILERS)

Post by anthoto1 »

douglasb wrote:Well, the killing scene won't do much to counter those who've been complaining about continued female victimisation.
Frankly, who cares ?
Dom834
Roadhouse Member

Post by Dom834 »

Cooperscoffeecup wrote:Call me crazy, but did anyone else find the Albert/Diane exchange a little strange... like there is also something else going on there. She didn't exactly seem that surprised to see him. Am I missing something?
The way Cole put this, asking Albert if he still knew where she lived, it looks like the two characters might very well have a personal back story. An affair? She's Albert's ex wife? She's more agent/analyst than mere secretary and she partnered with Albert to investigate Coop's disappearance back in 90s?

We'll see, but pretty sure these two have history.
indyit
RR Diner Member

Post by indyit »

I'm curious of the significance of Janey-E, Dougie and Sonny Jim's names... They seem incredibly deliberate, especially Janey-E (never seen that ever!). Reminds me of Annie, Judy and Josie... although we haven't heard a peep from or about them so far.
DouglasFir

Post by DouglasFir »

Did anyone else feel that the Richard Horne character in e6 came across more like a "noob" compared to the version we saw in e5? Wonder if it is another "out of sequence" moment? Meaning: in tonight's episode we saw the beginning of the Richard character who will eventually evolve in the uber-creep we saw in e5 (who - if I may - acted as if he was with BOB)?
crazyscottishguy
RR Diner Member

Re: RE: Re: Part 6 - Don't die (SPOILERS)

Post by crazyscottishguy »

BMS242 wrote:
Jonah wrote: It really does feel like a 9 hour show was written and doubled to 18 on set.

At this point, I am definitely of the opinion that it was a mistake to not release two hours each week. This would have allowed for the plot to move forward a little more each week but also maintain Lynch's pace.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
THIS!!!
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

DouglasFir wrote:Did anyone else feel that the Richard Horne character in e6 came across more like a "noob" compared to the version we saw in e5? Wonder if it is another "out of sequence" moment? Meaning: in tonight's episode we saw the beginning of the Richard character who will eventually evolve in the uber-creep we saw in e5 (who - if I may - acted as if he was with BOB)?
Maybe but my take is just that Richard is a big fish in a small pond. He suddenly realized that he's really out of his league with a bigger fish from a bigger pond.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
MasterMastermind
RR Diner Member

Post by MasterMastermind »

LonelySoul wrote:
MasterMastermind wrote:I don't think Coop's mistaken identity subplot is too played-out. We might be a third of the way through but it didn't start until halfway through episode 3.
True, but we haven't had real, actual Coop at all yet. So far we've had Lodge-confused Coop where he walks around lost rarely reacting to his surroundings or we've had Veggie-Dougie-Coop where he walks around lost rarely reacting to his surroundings. We're six hours in and it's getting old. Even the lodge spirits are growing frustrated.
.elaD rehtegot ti teg, zeeJ.

Really though I like it a lot. I like the denied gratification, the social commentary, and the idea of Dale slowly rebuilding himself after his failure. It's right on a line of hilarity and heartbreak that I find very fascinating. I don't think there's another ten episodes worth of it but I'd be fine if he slowly regains himself until Diane helps him the rest of the way in episode nine or so.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

crazyscottishguy wrote:
BMS242 wrote:
Jonah wrote: It really does feel like a 9 hour show was written and doubled to 18 on set.

At this point, I am definitely of the opinion that it was a mistake to not release two hours each week. This would have allowed for the plot to move forward a little more each week but also maintain Lynch's pace.

THIS!!!
The way the ratings are going, it would not completely surprise me if they just released all the rest of the episodes at some point. I really hope they don't and I don't expect them to do that, but you never know.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
RichardHorne

Post by RichardHorne »

Probably the best episode of season 3 in my opinion.
Panapaok
Bookhouse Member

Post by Panapaok »

mtwentz wrote:For the last two years on this board, we have seen countless examples of, 'I will not like this show if it's too surrealistic', 'I won't like it if Good Coop is not already out of the Lodge', 'I won't like it if it's not like the old series', or 'I won't like it if it's too much like the old series and plays on nostalgia', or 'I won't like it if there are alternate timelines'....

At a certain point, we've just got to let go of any and all expectations and watch what is presented to us, and then (and only then) decide if we like it or not: we cannot pre-judge plot developments and footage we have not yet seen, as it is all in the execution.
Thank you.
This is - excuse me - a damn fine cup of coffee.
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

Can someone explain me what was going on with Red?He kept on adjusting his Jacket a lot of times,did some shadow practice and in the end performed some Magic trick?!?
ThumbsUp
RR Diner Member

Post by ThumbsUp »

mtwentz wrote:
crazyscottishguy wrote:
BMS242 wrote:

THIS!!!
The way the ratings are going, it would not completely surprise me if they just released all the rest of the episodes at some point. I really hope they don't and I don't expect them to do that, but you never know.
Have there been more ratings numbers released besides the ones for the premiere?
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

ThumbsUp wrote:
mtwentz wrote:
crazyscottishguy wrote:
THIS!!!
Have there been more ratings numbers released besides the ones for the premiere?
Yes, don't remember the exact numbers. They fell for 3 and 4 as expected (since those episodes had been released) then bumped up a little for episode 5.

I have been assuming that the ratings for 3 and 4 are the absolute bottom, but we'll see.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
garethw
RR Diner Member

Post by garethw »

indyit wrote:I'm curious of the significance of Janey-E, Dougie and Sonny Jim's names... They seem incredibly deliberate, especially Janey-E (never seen that ever!). Reminds me of Annie, Judy and Josie... although we haven't heard a peep from or about them so far.
I'm glad you noticed that out, too!

I first noticed Lynch's predilection for names ending in -ee around INLAND EMPIRE (there are tons of them in it; the only one I can remember right now is Smitty -- been a long time since I watched IE).

"Janey-E" really stood out for the same reason.

Re: Sonny Jim, I think Lynch's mother was called Sunny. She died in a car accident a few years ago.
LonelySoul
RR Diner Member

Post by LonelySoul »

mtwentz wrote:
crazyscottishguy wrote:
BMS242 wrote:

THIS!!!
People keep saying this and we should put it to rest already.

SHOWTIME DOES NOT CARE ABOUT CABLE RATINGS.

They are a subscriber network that happens to also allow subscriptions through traditional cable packages. Kind of like Netflix, they could not care less about advertising and how many people are seeing those ads, as with cable channels. They care about subscribers. They had their biggest subscription spike the weekend of the Peaks premiere, so I'd say they are satisfied. Also, the ratings you speak of do not count people streaming (even live) through any means that is not through cable. Therefore, Prime viewers, Hulu viewers, Vue viewers, etc. aren't counted. Neither are repeat viewings.

And I'd guess that international providers also aren't counted in the Nielsen rating system, but that one I'm not sure about.
Last edited by LonelySoul on Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Come hang out at http://www.reddit.com/r/twinpeaks. I'm /u/iswitt, one of the moderators.