Part 6 - Don't die (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

wxray
RR Diner Member

Re: Part 6 - Don't die (SPOILERS)

Post by wxray »

Jerry Horne wrote:In general I'm really liking the new series. Having said that, we are a third of the way through and some issues are starting to creep in for me. There's a coldness to the show that is starting to bother me. I'm interested in much of what is going on, but it seems like a series of set pieces designed to create a mood then quickly move on. I realize there is more at play and we seeing pieces of a puzzle, but where are the personal interactions? I keep thinking of that great scene between Donna and James in the Pilot at night when they realize their feelings for each other. Even the scene between Becky and Shelly we can barely hear!

I never thought I'd say it but yes, I'm craving some wistful interactions between Big Ed (remember him?) and Norma! Bring it on and please Dougie/Coop wake the fuck up.
Right. The most personal interactions have been between DougieCoop and Jade or Janey-E. But half of that equation is a 3 year old or brain damaged patient.

At least Bobby and Shelley gave Leo a party when he was brain damaged.
thedarktrees
Roadhouse Member

Post by thedarktrees »

Jerry Horne wrote:In general I'm really liking the new series. Having said that, we are a third of the way through and some issues are starting to creep in for me. There's a coldness to the show that is starting to bother me. I'm interested in much of what is going on, but it seems like a series of set pieces designed to create a mood then quickly move on. I realize there is more at play and we seeing pieces of a puzzle, but where are the personal interactions? I keep thinking of that great scene between Donna and James in the Pilot at night when they realize their feelings for each other. Even the scene between Becky and Shelly we can barely hear!

I never thought I'd say it but yes, I'm craving some wistful interactions between Big Ed (remember him?) and Norma! Bring it on and please Dougie/Coop wake the fuck up.
I think at this point in the series, this is a pretty accurate observation. To me it seems like the prime-time soap opera elements of the original Twin Peaks are one of the main things stripped away from the new series. It really doesn't have any romantic subplots (though the stuff around Becky, Shelly, etc. might turn into that). And that was a huge part of the original series -- like EVERYONE was in on some kind romance subplot. It really was a soap at its core (and great for that).

I think this is just not part of the new series, and the type of story it's putting together. That's neither good nor bad in and of itself. But it's certainly noticeable, and I can see how some might find it off-putting.
MasterMastermind
RR Diner Member

Post by MasterMastermind »

Really I've been deeply moved by quite a lot of what I've seen. Much of Cooper's stuff has hit me pretty hard, especially in this last episode. It's either been funny, heartbreaking, or both. The stuff with Bob or Cooper's doppelganger has been terrifying, Gordon's great (Lynch might need an Emmy nomination), and the glass box is the most tantalized I've felt by tv other than Damon Lindelof in a long time. Also the hit and run scene was absolutely devastating. Everything about it. The careless violence, the onlookers unsure of what to do, Carl keeling down, just everything.

One thing I have noticed is it takes two viewings for it to really hit me. The first time I'm looking for more thematic, formal stuff and the second is a purely emotional experience. This is the exact opposite of how I usually watch film and tv.
thedarktrees
Roadhouse Member

Re: RE: Re: Part 6 - Don't die (SPOILERS)

Post by thedarktrees »

mtwentz wrote:
Panapaok wrote:
WhiteLodge90 wrote:While I much prefer TMFAP as a character in Twin Peaks I'm happy for Al Strobel who hadn't acted in 16 years and only once in 25 years so kudos to him for getting the spotlight and delivering an awesome performance again.
Yeah, it's kinda amazing when you think about it. This is the biggest role of Strobel's career and he has certainly lived up to it. He deserves it much more than MJA for sure.
Strobel has indeed done an amazing job filling in for MJA. In fact, I do not miss MJA in the show at all because of Strobel's performance. He's actually made the transition seamless and natural for me.
Definitely seems, especially in the first 2 episodes that LMFAD had been swapped out for Gerard. But in these later episodes, I'm wondering why it's not The Giant watching over DougieCoop and trying to get him to wake up. He was the one who always assisted Coop the first time around. The visions that DougieCoop has of Gerard in the lodge I can't really see being replaced by LMFAP. But I could see the The Giant doing this.

Must have something to do with wherever the Giant is in that opening scene. He got promoted or something.
wxray
RR Diner Member

Post by wxray »

MasterMastermind wrote:

Really I've been deeply moved by quite a lot of what I've seen. Much of Cooper's stuff has hit me pretty hard, especially in this last episode. It's either been funny, heartbreaking, or both. The stuff with Bob or Cooper's doppelganger has been terrifying, Gordon's great (Lynch might need an Emmy nomination), and the glass box is the most tantalized I've felt by tv other than Damon Lindelof in a long time. Also the hit and run scene was absolutely devastating. Everything about it. The careless violence, the onlookers unsure of what to do, Carl keeling down, just everything.

One thing I have noticed is it takes two viewings for it to really hit me. The first time I'm looking for more thematic, formal stuff and the second is a purely emotional experience. This is the exact opposite of how I usually watch film and tv.
Yeah, but... There's this coldness that Jerry mentions and is spot on.

The accident scene is a good one. Everyone just puts their hands over their mouth (echoing the warden from when Bad Coop mentioned Mr. Strawberry). Carl comes over, but just looks. There's no touch. It is still cold. Maybe it is my southern USA upbringing, but when an accident like that occurs, some sort of touch will happen. A hand on a shoulder, a hug (even a bloody one), something. Maybe a touch with words, "I'm so sorry." Something.

Then again, maybe this is all intentional. Dougie has been touched, guided, cajoled, congratulated, etc. Although he wouldn't touch Bushnell because he didn't understand a handshake.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Jerry Horne wrote:I never thought I'd say it but yes, I'm craving some wistful interactions between Big Ed (remember him?) and Norma! Bring it on and please Dougie/Coop wake the fuck up.
I've been craving more Ed & Norma since I saw that incredible scene in TMP! Those two and LOTS more Sarah might be my top wishes for old characters at the moment.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

I don't find the accident scene cold at all. YMMV.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
MasterMastermind
RR Diner Member

N. Needleman wrote:I don't find the accident scene cold at all. YMMV.
Agreed. No words were necessary.
Rhodes
RR Diner Member

Post by Rhodes »

For me this season is by far the strongest. Still, I also have something on my wishlist.

I have not yet been really, really afraid. Sure, there are some nice, new creepy characters (Richard Horne, Red, the killer dwarf) and some tragic and/or violent scenes (the hit and run, etc.). But I can watch everything from a distance. I am very aware of the fact that I am the viewer and I'm watching a (brilliant) television show

But when I was watching Lost Highway (seeing the mystery man in bed, watching the video messages, etc.), Mulholland Drive (the monster behind the alley, the grandparents haunting Diane) and especially Inland Empire (all the scenes in the bedroom and hallways, the shooting of Phantom, Nicky running straight into the camera in the night) I was genuinely afraid. I had a hard time sleeping.

In terms of pure Lynchian horror, I think the new season is not yet at its peak level. I hope that it is yet to come. For me, this is more important than the lack of humanism.
MasterMastermind
RR Diner Member

Rhodes wrote:

For me this season is by far the strongest. Still, I also have something on my wishlist.

I have not yet been really, really afraid. Sure, there are some nice, new creepy characters (Richard Horne, Red, the killer dwarf) and some tragic and/or violent scenes (the hit and run, etc.). But I can watch everything from a distance. I am very aware of the fact that I am the viewer and I'm watching a (brilliant) television show

But when I was watching Lost Highway (seeing the mystery man in bed, watching the video messages, etc.), Mulholland Drive (the monster behind the alley, the grandparents haunting Diane) and especially Inland Empire (all the scenes in the bedroom and hallways, the shooting of Phantom, Nicky running straight into the camera in the night) I was genuinely afraid. I had a hard time sleeping.

In terms of pure Lynchian horror, I think the new season is not yet at its peak level. I hope that it is yet to come. For me, this is more important than the lack of humanism.
A few scenes have approached this level but generally I agree. Nothing as scary as Lynch's collaborations with Mary Sweeney.
Metamorphia
RR Diner Member

Post by Metamorphia »

Rhodes wrote:

Agree, although it's not a deal-breaker for me. And I expect we might enter that kind of territory as the series heats up (at the Palmer house, perhaps...)

What I would say though is that I don't think we've actually seen a scene akin to those that you mention yet (I'd also add Bob behind Laura's bed in FWWM as an example of what you speak about) - the closest I guess was the revealing of the body in the bed, but it wasn't exactly a surprise. When you had a similar scene in MD, you weren't totally sure what you were going to find there, yet in E1 it's immediately obvious exactly what's going to happen as soon as there's the deal with the bad smell and the locked door etc.

I'm just waiting for that Lynch trademark steadicam pushing around the wall. As soon as that happens I'm locked in.
Last edited by Metamorphia on Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Metamorphia
RR Diner Member

Post by Metamorphia »

Jonah wrote:

Hear hear!
I'd urge you both to just hold on a bit because the cold dissociation is totally the theme of the show thus far (a world absent from love, to put it maybe a little cringely). I'd like to think most of the people feeling disconnected will be able to view the disconnection as a masterstroke in the overall context of the 18 hours.

Hopefully, of course. I can't say for sure.
qbin2001
Great Northern Member

Post by qbin2001 »

MasterMastermind wrote:One thing I have noticed is it takes two viewings for it to really hit me. The first time I'm looking for more thematic, formal stuff and the second is a purely emotional experience. This is the exact opposite of how I usually watch film and tv.
Me too.
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

I agree with Jerry about the coldness- or "emotional disconnect" as I call it. It's the thing I've had the biggest problem with so far, and I talked about this after the first 4 eps. I knew the series would be very different, but I still expected the emotional component to the characters to remain. I'm onboard, and am going along with the show. But the emotional aspect and interaction of the characters is sorely missed.
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
wxray
RR Diner Member

Post by wxray »

Ross wrote:I agree with Jerry about the coldness- or "emotional disconnect" as I call it. It's the thing I've had the biggest problem with so far, and I talked about this after the first 4 eps. I knew the series would be very different, but I still expected the emotional component to the characters to remain. I'm onboard, and am going along with the show. But the emotional aspect and interaction of the characters is sorely missed.
Yes, I'm onboard to keep watching, no worries. Holding onto that grand plan.

But, damn, couldn't Jerry smoke his joint with someone while watching Jacoby? Is Nadine that alone while watching him?

Again, that could be the point. We're all sitting here in our own worlds watching TV. I don't know, we'll see.

I need to go home and hug my significant other now. :)