Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

mtwentz
Lodge Member

Re: Part 6 - Don't die (SPOILERS)

Post by mtwentz »

Denise's Pieces wrote:
mtwentz wrote:
Soolsma wrote:The death toll is getting really high btw.. anyone keeping count?
On Screen or total?

If it's onscreen we have:

Phyllis
Daria
Two car jackers
Lorraine

That is 5 so far.
There were 3 carjackers.
Offscreen we have Jack, Major Briggs, the Librarian. Who am I missing?
I edited my post to include the hit and run boy. With 3 carjackers that makes 7.

And oh, I completely forgot Sam and Tracey, which makes 9!

So 9 onscreen- let me think about off screen.

Ruth, unidentified male (Briggs?), Jack- that makes 3. I cannot think anyone else, so that would make 12 total, onscreen + offscreen.
Last edited by mtwentz on Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
guildnavigator
RR Diner Member

Post by guildnavigator »

Carl Rodd touches her shoulder
dkenny78
RR Diner Member

Post by dkenny78 »

mtwentz wrote: So 9 onscreen- let me think about off screen.

Ruth, unidentified male (Briggs?), Jack- that makes 3. I cannot think anyone else, so that would make 12 total, onscreen + offscreen.
What about the guy that Evil Coop face-massaged to death?
Esselgee
RR Diner Member

Post by Esselgee »

dkenny78 wrote:
mtwentz wrote: So 9 onscreen- let me think about off screen.

What about the guy that Evil Coop face-massaged to death?
I'm pretty sure that was the already mentioned Jack.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Maybe this is too obvious to state...but i assume the Part 10 "subtitle" "Laura is the one" references James's Pilot line to Ed; "She was the one" (which in my initial viewing I took as part of some town-wide "This is the girl"-type conspiracy). The Log Lady intro for the Pilot also concludes with this line: "The one leading to the many is Laura Palmer. Laura is the one."

I agree with those hoping for some great DKL horror moments. This is probably the #1 thing I was most ancicipating going into the show. Come to think of it, the last few parts have been largely steering clear of otherworldly/outright surreal stuff (like the guy in the cell) in favor of relatively straightforward narrative.

Added to the list of people who died: Lorraine's officemate/assistant/whatever whom Ike chases down and presumably kills offscreen.
qbin2001
Great Northern Member

Post by qbin2001 »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:Added to the list of people who died: Lorraine's officemate/assistant/whatever whom Ike chases down and presumably kills offscreen.
At least two. One before Loraine and one after.
Zachary
Roadhouse Member

Post by Zachary »

Do we want to count Naido as having "died"? That sequence is so not-of-this-world that I'd probably say no.
polishq
RR Diner Member

Post by polishq »

For that matter, how about Dougie?
RainingPostToasties
Roadhouse Member

Post by RainingPostToasties »

Maybe it would be good to clump those with ambiguous, otherworldly demises into their own category. Right at home with Josie and Windom.
Endangered_Wulf
Roadhouse Member

Post by Endangered_Wulf »

Yeah. I keep wondering if the Twin Peaks audience is being set up for a very SAD scene where Dougie gets killed. (similar to Laura Palmer being found dead-very shocking and somber). Was the innocent little boy getting run over some kind of a foreshadow ?
"Fire is the devil, hiding like a coward in the smoke" -Margaret Lanterman The Log Lady
homieonice
Roadhouse Member

Post by homieonice »

i watched a couple eps of BCS and even rewatched 2 seasons of Breaking Bad this week and i love these shows ..

but they don't go far enough to give the chills like TP does

I'm seriously depressed waiting for each new EP . in agony

Maybe i'm in the minority? but i can't really fault the Season so far. It's definitely building to something extraordinary

the last ep really got the feels . and that song outro by sharon van etten was an absolute cracker.

- - -

the coop as a reborn person in dougie's life is my favourite part of the show if i had to pick. i think this part is frustrating many viewers but when it's all said and done will win them over.
There they are Albert... Faces of stone!
WhiteLodge90
RR Diner Member
Location: You're on the path. you don't need to know where it leads. just follow.

Post by WhiteLodge90 »

Like that a few of the other more veteran members on the site agree with the "distance" factor I've been talking about for weeks now. If Lynch somehow is doing this on purpose for a pay off of more quitisential Twin Peaks vibes/music then it will be even better than the original in how he set this all up. I'm skeptical it will be that but I'm along for the ride and very curious.

I agree with some of the other posters who haven't been scared yet. The original I never felt scared per say but a few times I had the hair on the back of my neck stick up for sure.

Mainly the early scenes with Bob and the murder of Maddie and then just all of the black lodge/red room scenes in the last episode. Those were so incredible. Heck, even Leo waking up from his coma and randomly roaming around his dark creepy house ready to pounce on poor Shelly had me more on the edge of my seat then I have thus far in this series but hopefully Lynch goes for more straight up horrifying moments and less dark comedy horror like with the ice pick assassin.
The milk will get cool on you pretty soon.
homieonice
Roadhouse Member

Post by homieonice »

Better Call Saul / Breaking Bad are slower than Twin Peaks S3

They episodes are 45 mins vs the full hour too. Less takes place. There is more "wasted" time - landscape shots, stuff that "could" be cut and wouldn't effect the story.

I strongly feel Lynch / Frost haven't wasted a minute, even a second yet. The non-dialogue driven parts are crucial to how this story is told.

People are very quick to criticize and there is a level of entitlement some ppl seem to have which is amusing.
There they are Albert... Faces of stone!
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

BCS this season spent
Spoiler:
half of a 47-minute episode on Mike locating a tracker inside his gas cap and switching it out for another one
. I can't think of any show I've ever watched that is slower-paced than BCS (not that I'm knocking it, it's terrific filmmaking, albeit not quite on the Breaking Bad level).
WhiteLodge90
RR Diner Member
Location: You're on the path. you don't need to know where it leads. just follow.

Post by WhiteLodge90 »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:BCS this season spent
Spoiler:
half of a 47-minute episode on Mike locating a tracker inside his gas cap and switching it out for another one
. I can't think of any show I've ever watched that is slower-paced than BCS (not that I'm knocking it, it's terrific filmmaking, albeit not quite on the Breaking Bad level).

I loved Breaking Bad and I really like BCS.

The film making is pretty much the same as it's the same people making it but I'll agree BB is better. I agree Saul is very slow at times but I don't know - because I know the show isn't going anywhere anytime soon I guess I just kind of live with it during the slow moments whereas with Peaks I'm nail biting then end of every episode thinking how I only have X amount left for possibly ever.
The milk will get cool on you pretty soon.