Part 6 - Don't die (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

bob_wooler
RR Diner Member

Re: Part 6 - Don't die (SPOILERS)

Post by bob_wooler »

Based on the title/description for part 9, I get the feeling Linda won't be happy with her new wheelchair. Also toyed with this idea about Audrey; when she woke up from her coma, she found she'd lost her memory, and instead of accepting to be a part of the Horne family she decided to start a brand new life for herself, with a new name, and that name of course being Linda. Bring it on! :lol:
thunderclap82
Roadhouse Member

Post by thunderclap82 »

sackboy97 wrote:
thunderclap82 wrote:
Redlodge wrote:I'm hoping that Hawk found the missing pages to Laura's diary. I hope Laura wrote what Annie asked her to.
If those are indeed the pages from Laura's diary, I would really like an explanation of how they got into the men's bathroom and how they hadn't been discovered for 25 years. I'm fine with mystery and not having all the answers, but this one would really bother me because it would feel just too convenient.
As someone already said, Mike could have hidden those pages. Also, I don't really find it hard to believe that no one thought of tearing apart the door to one particular stall.
Now that I'm thinking about it a bit more, I suddenly remembered Bob (as Leland) showed Laura the pages he tore out of her diary in train car right before killing her. "I always thought you knew it was me!" So I guess Mike could have grabbed those pages after he arrived since, I don't believe, those pages were ever found by the police in season 1.
indyit
RR Diner Member

Post by indyit »

thunderclap82 wrote:
sackboy97 wrote:
thunderclap82 wrote:
If those are indeed the pages from Laura's diary, I would really like an explanation of how they got into the men's bathroom and how they hadn't been discovered for 25 years. I'm fine with mystery and not having all the answers, but this one would really bother me because it would feel just too convenient.
As someone already said, Mike could have hidden those pages. Also, I don't really find it hard to believe that no one thought of tearing apart the door to one particular stall.
Now that I'm thinking about it a bit more, I suddenly remembered Bob (as Leland) showed Laura the pages he tore out of her diary in train car right before killing her. "I always thought you knew it was me!" So I guess Mike could have grabbed those pages after he arrived since, I don't believe, those pages were ever found by the police in season 1.
Yes, and it's also possible Annie's appearance was actually a reoccurring dream which Laura wrote about previously - and therefore may be found written in those pages.
wxray
RR Diner Member

Post by wxray »

thunderclap82 wrote:
Redlodge wrote:I'm hoping that Hawk found the missing pages to Laura's diary. I hope Laura wrote what Annie asked her to.
Been remodeling my house, and finding candy and cigarette wrappers from 1980 as I take things apart. I see no problem with this if someone stuffed them in the door. The restroom looked old enough to be pre-1990.
Elad Repooc
Roadhouse Member

Post by Elad Repooc »

WhiteLodge90 wrote:
Elad Repooc wrote:I could be wrong about this, but I'm just wondering whether the people who have a major problem with slow scenes are people that don't meditate. We all know that David Lynch is really into meditation. We also know how most people these days can't sit still for more than a few seconds without looking at their phone for another dopamine hit from something quick and easy to be entertained by.

It's possible that Lynch's slow scenes are a perfect opportunity to practice being at peace in situations where nothing dramatic happens for a while.

I say this as someone who meditates a lot and who will happily spend quite a lot of time standing in the woods staring up at the trees as I watch them blow in the breeze. Spending 15 or 20 minutes watching a slow David Lynch scene is not really a problem for me. And I'm sure that these slow scenes make the dramatic scenes all the more dramatic. I had really settled into the slow pace of this episode when suddenly that kid got run over. That felt like I was suddenly grabbed and thrown against a wall. If the whole episode had been at that pace it wouldn't have been anywhere near as powerful.

But if the slow scenes and the Dougie Cooper saga are really just not your thing, that's totally fine, but maybe it means Lynch's style doesn't suit you? There are plenty of other things to watch, so there's no need to watch The Return? We're a 3rd of the way in, so it's obvious this is the style of this whole series. If you're not enjoying it, no need to torture yourself by forcing yourself to sit through it.

Or if you still want to watch the exciting bits, maybe you can skip watching the broadcast version and watch it online and skip through the bits you find boring? I know there's not a perfect solution, but this series is already done, and this is obviously the style of it, so maybe that's just the way it is.

This post bleeds with judgmental assumptions. I've enjoyed the show I just find some flaws in it like any piece of art really. I don't like the pacing of ONE story line that seems to be taking upwards of 15-20 mins an episode and also the cuts and story line or lack there of, of the original characters. I don't need to be told not to watch if there is a thing or two about the new show I have criticism about. That's my right. I love this show and the newer one is just very different in some ways I like the difference in others I'm not sure if I like it yet or not. Simple as that. I love mostly all of Lynch's work (With the exception of Inland Empire) So I know his "style" and still enjoy this new inclination. There's no eyelash plucking torture going on while I watch the new series more so looking at the clock because it sucks the hour is almost over. I watch every episode with the surround sound on and the curtains drawn. Also no electronics near me so it's not as if I can't stay focused,
Well, being judgmental and making assumptions are all part of being human really. But I did try to soften it to reduce the chances of it coming across as arrogant by phrasing it as "I could be wrong about this, but I'm just wondering..." and phrasing my points as questions with the word "maybe".

It was just a bunch of ideas, suggestions and questions, not instructions or certainties. I'm not too sure how I could have got across my ideas better. Was it the bit about meditation? Well, I stand by that because I believe people really should meditate, just as they should keep fit and eat well. Was it the bit about most people not being able to sit still without looking at their phones? Well, that's just an observation of many people I see these days. You are right that these were assumptions, but that exactly why I started it with "I could be wrong about this..." I could indeed be wrong, and it doesn't really matter if I am.

I don't know you, and it wasn't a message to you personally, so of course there's a chance that some (or all) of what I said wouldn't apply to you. I also appreciate that you like a lot of Lynch's stuff and only have a problem with some of the new season. I suppose my comment was more aimed at people that are not enjoying it much at all.

Peace...
Hockey Mask
RR Diner Member

Post by Hockey Mask »

thunderclap82 wrote:
How many bathroom stall doors have you taken apart in the last 25 years? :D
chromereflectsimage
RR Diner Member

Post by chromereflectsimage »

mtwentz wrote:So looking forward to Part 7 'there's a body', do we collectively believe Becky is toast in the next episode? A lot of people have been speculating she'll end up dead because of her parallels to Laura.

Plus, we now have a short list of potential suspects:
Steven
Richard
Red
There was a spoiler dropped on this. I don't feel comfortable dropping it here though. Maybe PM me.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

chromereflectsimage wrote:
mtwentz wrote:So looking forward to Part 7 'there's a body', do we collectively believe Becky is toast in the next episode? A lot of people have been speculating she'll end up dead because of her parallels to Laura.

Plus, we now have a short list of potential suspects:
Steven
Richard
Red
There was a spoiler dropped on this. I don't feel comfortable dropping it here though. Maybe PM me.
Thanks for the offer but I want to go in with as little info as possible :-)
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
thunderclap82
Roadhouse Member

Post by thunderclap82 »

Hockey Mask wrote:
thunderclap82 wrote:
Me personally? Not at all. :) But I assume maintenance would have repaired a stall door that is falling apart.
Hockey Mask
RR Diner Member

Post by Hockey Mask »

thunderclap82 wrote:
Hockey Mask wrote:
thunderclap82 wrote:
Me personally? Not at all. :) But I assume maintenance would have repaired a stall door that is falling apart.
And I would have assumed a dropped nickel wouldn't have led me to some missing diary pages. We're living in strange times. :wink:
TwinsPeak
RR Diner Member

Re: RE: Re: Part 6 - Don't die (SPOILERS)

Post by TwinsPeak »

Pinky wrote:
Endangered_Wulf wrote:Yeah. I keep wondering if the Twin Peaks audience is being set up for a very SAD scene where Dougie gets killed. (similar to Laura Palmer being found dead-very shocking and somber). Was the innocent little boy getting run over some kind of a foreshadow ?
I have my doubts that Coop will survive the season. Given how secretive they were over every aspect of the show, people in the know seemed disarmingly willing to let little soundbites out about the possibility of the show continuing. That'd be exactly what I'd do if I wanted to really blow people's minds at the finale.

Coop will bring Laura back alive, long enough at least for Sarah and Laura to meet, but I think this is the end for him. Never say never, but what place would he have in a potential fourth season? He's spent 25 years in another dimension and has travelled more or less into hell. We need to see him triumph and then he'll go.

I'm sure I'll be proven wrong, but I just can't see a S4 reset with him involved, back in Twin Peaks. Unless a possible continuation was written into S3, which would be cause for concern in itself seeing as it doesn't seem to have been the original intention, and we're a third of the way through already and we are still in setup mode.

Actually, if I knew there was going to be a fourth (I'd prefer 3 to be the end, really), it would calm some of the fears I started to have after ep6. The idea that this is meant to be wrapping up in 12 hours is a bit worrying. It's amazing work, but there's either got to be a jarring change of pace or most of the story is already laid out for us. But it's silly to second guess with Lynch:)

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

There is no season 4
"Wanting something to be different will not make it so." "Explaining a different rule is not complaining for months. A lie will never be true." - Dale Cooper: My Life, My Tapes.
Guitarmonbozia

Post by Guitarmonbozia »

polishq wrote:
Guitarmonbozia wrote:I have this weird feeling that Dougie-Coop will see the numbers, 430, either on a sign, clock, or something. At that moment, he will be in a position to stop Richard Horne from killing Linda(of the electric wheelchair). He may bumble through that, Dougie-Coop style. Ones he has defeated Richard, he will see the Giant or Mike and the little golden ball(his missing piece?) will drop to the floor. He picks it up and everything comes flooding back to him. So 1)Richard is stopped and 2)Old Coop is back. Hence he kills "too birds with one stone."

Of course, Dougie-Coop would have to be taken to Twin Peaks for any of this to happen...
I don't think Dougie-Coop has had the meeting with the Giant yet. I believe that was what the kids call a "flash-forward".
That could definitely be the case. But we're also talking about Coop, who has a history of solving things through visions of his future conversations with the lodge folk.
Last edited by Guitarmonbozia on Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
TwinsPeak
RR Diner Member

Post by TwinsPeak »

I finally did my rewatch and am ready for my review of episode 6.

Sadly this was least my favorite episode so far. Mainly because we still arent getting the character development most of us are missing. Any new viewer would have trouble getting invested emotionally to any character except Coop. Lets get some dialogue. Maybe no other characters have much of a story, is to show that this all about Cooper and is a dream or something but its frustrating maybe the end game of the show will change my opinion on the lack of dialogue and character development.

I did however still love the episode. Especially the Carl Rodd scene. The hit and run was gut wrenching. Albert was funny again. And ofcourse Hawk finding the pages in the bathroom was awesome sauce.

I wonder how Red was able to do that coin Trick, and why we saw the 1-1-9 scene again. I like the mysteries.

I missed seeing Evil Coop and it was my least favorite episode so far. But it was still a great episode and once again the most recent episode has made me like the previous episodes more, i hope that continues.
"Wanting something to be different will not make it so." "Explaining a different rule is not complaining for months. A lie will never be true." - Dale Cooper: My Life, My Tapes.
Pinky
RR Diner Member

Re: RE: Re: Part 6 - Don't die (SPOILERS)

Post by Pinky »

TwinsPeak wrote:
Pinky wrote:
Endangered_Wulf wrote:Yeah. I keep wondering if the Twin Peaks audience is being set up for a very SAD scene where Dougie gets killed. (similar to Laura Palmer being found dead-very shocking and somber). Was the innocent little boy getting run over some kind of a foreshadow ?
I have my doubts that Coop will survive the season. Given how secretive they were over every aspect of the show, people in the know seemed disarmingly willing to let little soundbites out about the possibility of the show continuing. That'd be exactly what I'd do if I wanted to really blow people's minds at the finale.

Coop will bring Laura back alive, long enough at least for Sarah and Laura to meet, but I think this is the end for him. Never say never, but what place would he have in a potential fourth season? He's spent 25 years in another dimension and has travelled more or less into hell. We need to see him triumph and then he'll go.

I'm sure I'll be proven wrong, but I just can't see a S4 reset with him involved, back in Twin Peaks. Unless a possible continuation was written into S3, which would be cause for concern in itself seeing as it doesn't seem to have been the original intention, and we're a third of the way through already and we are still in setup mode.

Actually, if I knew there was going to be a fourth (I'd prefer 3 to be the end, really), it would calm some of the fears I started to have after ep6. The idea that this is meant to be wrapping up in 12 hours is a bit worrying. It's amazing work, but there's either got to be a jarring change of pace or most of the story is already laid out for us. But it's silly to second guess with Lynch:)

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

There is no season 4
ah ok, I must have missed that. At least we know now that they're wrapping it up then, sweet!
yaxomoxay
Great Northern Member

Post by yaxomoxay »

Hockey Mask wrote:
thunderclap82 wrote:
Zero before last week... since then all of them ! :)

I am not sure that the pages were inserted 25 years ago. When Hawks gets into the stall, the top right corner of the door is missing two screws. I think that it is unreasonable to think that for 25 years nobody fixed it. This is especially true considering that a new sheriff is in town, and given how Sheriff Truman II modernized the department I don't think that he would've not told someone to fix two screws that were off for so long.
I think that the door was damaged and the pages inserted into the door at the same time that Hawk opened Laura's files. In other words, someone else is on the trail.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk