Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Novalis
RR Diner Member

Re: Part 6 - Don't die (SPOILERS)

Post by Novalis »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:
yaxomoxay wrote:
Mr. Reindeer wrote:I don't find it hard to believe that no one replaced two screws on a door that was still firmly held together by like 20 more screws. Doesn't seem like much of a priority.
Nope, I am right. S2E3, when Coop opens the doors you can clearly see that there is absolutely no damage.

The door Hawk opens doesn't even open the same way it did 25 years ago (now it's outwards, 25yrs ago it was inwards).
Those kind of inconsistencies are pretty common in instances where a TV show retcons a moment years after the fact (if that is in fact what's going on). If it does turn out that Mike left the pages, I think it's very unlikely that DKL and Frost planned that to be the case way back in 1990. While we're at it, seems pretty unlikely that Gerard brought a screwdriver and the diary pages with him on his shoe selling appointment. It will definitely be a tad silly/inconsistent if that's the direction they go, but I don't terribly mind. There would be a Peaksian kind of logic to the whole thing.
I agree, this is sort of unimportant. Although It's not impossible that the old cubicle door was re-purposed in a new restroom without substantially affecting its integrity. I don't for a moment pretend to know anything about the economics of American police forces, but if it's anything like anywhere else in the late 20th/ early 21st century then I imagine salvage operations of that kind could be quite common in under-funded jurisdictions.

Then again I am perfectly alright with Mike somehow leaving the pages in the future. It's Twin Peaks! :)
As a matter of fact, 'Chalfont' was the name of the people that rented this space before. Two Chalfonts. Weird, huh?
yaxomoxay
Great Northern Member

Part 6 - Don't die (SPOILERS)

Post by yaxomoxay »

Novalis wrote:
Mr. Reindeer wrote:
yaxomoxay wrote:
Nope, I am right. S2E3, when Coop opens the doors you can clearly see that there is absolutely no damage.

The door Hawk opens doesn't even open the same way it did 25 years ago (now it's outwards, 25yrs ago it was inwards).
Those kind of inconsistencies are pretty common in instances where a TV show retcons a moment years after the fact (if that is in fact what's going on). If it does turn out that Mike left the pages, I think it's very unlikely that DKL and Frost planned that to be the case way back in 1990. While we're at it, seems pretty unlikely that Gerard brought a screwdriver and the diary pages with him on his shoe selling appointment. It will definitely be a tad silly/inconsistent if that's the direction they go, but I don't terribly mind. There would be a Peaksian kind of logic to the whole thing.
I agree, this is sort of unimportant. Although It's not impossible that the old cubicle door was re-purposed in a new restroom without substantially affecting its integrity. I don't for a moment pretend to know anything about the economics of American police forces, but if it's anything like anywhere else in the late 20th/ early 21st century then I imagine salvage operations of that kind could be quite common in under-funded jurisdictions.

Then again I am perfectly alright with Mike somehow leaving the pages in the future. It's Twin Peaks! :)
Well, it will depend on what they do plotwise. If they decide that it was Linda, then we might have a development. If they decide that it was Mike and somehow the door was preserved... well I might be left wondering forever how it happened ;)
I just don't buy that they changed the location of the sink, added a shower, removed at least three stalls, changed the direction of the door, and ultimately installed a new floor ... and that door was left as it was 25 years ago. I mean, it's TP and weirder things have happened, but I think it's worth investigating a bit while fighting the boredom we have to endure until the next episode.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
qbin2001
Great Northern Member

Post by qbin2001 »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:Michael Horse discusses the show and his role: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-f ... ew-1013513
Hawk followed that thread to a bathroom stall in the sixth hour of the series, discovering a cache of letters hidden behind a restroom door that was marked with an image from his heritage. What's contained in the letters, and where will the information lead Hawk next in the Cooper investigation? It's impossible to say at this stage, but at the very least, it's leading to more for Hawk. "I've got some stuff coming up that's going to be pretty cool," says Horse.
counterpaul
RR Diner Member

Post by counterpaul »

qbin2001 wrote:
Mr. Reindeer wrote:Michael Horse discusses the show and his role: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-f ... ew-1013513
Hawk followed that thread to a bathroom stall in the sixth hour of the series, discovering a cache of letters hidden behind a restroom door that was marked with an image from his heritage. What's contained in the letters, and where will the information lead Hawk next in the Cooper investigation? It's impossible to say at this stage, but at the very least, it's leading to more for Hawk. "I've got some stuff coming up that's going to be pretty cool," says Horse.
The writer of the article is guessing. Horse wouldn't have given away that they were/weren't diary pages and the writer of the article knows no more than the rest of us.
Wonderful & Strange
Great Northern Member

Post by Wonderful & Strange »

I wish these episode threads were used for careful discussion and analysis of the show, not personal evaluations of like or dislike (anyone can say they like or dislike something -- it is not interesting analysis). We could have other threads for gushing and bashing -- hey, we already have one for the bashers. Why not post your personal feelings there where others can avoid it?

It really is redundant and thread clogging to have the disappointed people posting the same thoughts here that they do in their own thread.
Member of the Agent Tammy Preston Defense Lodge
sylviecerise
Roadhouse Member

Post by sylviecerise »

Wonderful & Strange wrote:I wish these episode threads were used for careful discussion and analysis of the show, not personal evaluations of like or dislike (anyone can say they like or dislike something -- it is not interesting analysis). We could have other threads for gushing and bashing -- hey, we already have one for the bashers. Why not post your personal feelings there where others can avoid it?

It really is redundant and thread clogging to have the disappointed people posting the same thoughts here that they do in their own thread.
Agreed, it's been a little disappointing (especially this week when there was much to discuss & analyze with the diary pages) to see pages of arguments back-and-forth about whether or not this season is successful.
jakemartinez
Roadhouse Member

Post by jakemartinez »

Wonderful & Strange wrote:I wish these episode threads were used for careful discussion and analysis of the show, not personal evaluations of like or dislike (anyone can say they like or dislike something -- it is not interesting analysis). We could have other threads for gushing and bashing -- hey, we already have one for the bashers. Why not post your personal feelings there where others can avoid it?

I agree.
dud
RR Diner Member

Post by dud »

also agree. that's why i felt the need to create the theories and speculation thread
HagbardCeline
RR Diner Member

Post by HagbardCeline »

Hockey Mask wrote:I would like to get to know Becky more before she gets offed.
To be fair, we didn't exactly get to know Laura before she was offed. Only after.
HagbardCeline
RR Diner Member

Post by HagbardCeline »

thunderclap82 wrote:Me personally? Not at all. :) But I assume maintenance would have repaired a stall door that is falling apart.
Haha, have you ever worked for government? Especially city government, that stall is easily something that would go un-repaired for years and years. The drinking fountain in our public library hasn't worked since 1998. The only thing that's changed is that the out of order sign started as paper and now is made out of wood. When it reaches the 20 year mark, a lot of us have joked that they are more likely to dedicate a plaque to it than repair it.

So I think it's quite believable that missing screws in a stall door could stay missing.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

yaxomoxay wrote:
Novalis wrote:
Mr. Reindeer wrote:

Well, it will depend on what they do plotwise. If they decide that it was Linda, then we might have a development. If they decide that it was Mike and somehow the door was preserved... well I might be left wondering forever how it happened ;)
I just don't buy that they changed the location of the sink, added a shower, removed at least three stalls, changed the direction of the door, and ultimately installed a new floor ... and that door was left as it was 25 years ago. I mean, it's TP and weirder things have happened, but I think it's worth investigating a bit while fighting the boredom we have to endure until the next episode.

It's also worth noting that the original series and FWWM use totally different Palmer house exteriors, as well as totally different Hayward house interiors, among others. Lots of altered sets between the pilot and series as well, particularly the Great Northern/Ben's office. Even if DKL's intent was for it to be the same bathroom/stall door, I doubt he would have forced the new production designer to laboriously follow Richard Hoover's old design for the sake of strict continuity.

But I guess we'll know for sure soon! Or not...
wxray
RR Diner Member

Post by wxray »

HagbardCeline wrote:
thunderclap82 wrote:Me personally? Not at all. :) But I assume maintenance would have repaired a stall door that is falling apart.
Haha, have you ever worked for government? Especially city government, that stall is easily something that would go un-repaired for years and years. The drinking fountain in our public library hasn't worked since 1998. The only thing that's changed is that the out of order sign started as paper and now is made out of wood. When it reaches the 20 year mark, a lot of us have joked that they are more likely to dedicate a plaque to it than repair it.

So I think it's quite believable that missing screws in a stall door could stay missing.
Or they were slightly loose, and some kid saw them last week, and decided to finally back them out.

Whether it is a retconn or not, I fell like we are trying to dance angels on a pin. :)
yaxomoxay
Great Northern Member

Post by yaxomoxay »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:
yaxomoxay wrote:
Novalis wrote:

It's also worth noting that the original series and FWWM use totally different Palmer house exteriors, as well as totally different Hayward house interiors, among others. Lots of altered sets between the pilot and series as well, particularly the Great Northern/Ben's office. Even if DKL's intent was for it to be the same bathroom/stall door, I doubt he would have forced the new production designer to laboriously follow Richard Hoover's old design for the sake of strict continuity.

But I guess we'll know for sure soon! Or not...
Well, I guess this is TP's power. A public restrooms stall becoming the subject of analysis, conspiracy, and ultimately madness.

polishq
RR Diner Member

Post by polishq »

Everyone, stop arguing about restrooms. I have something more important!

In the S2 finale, how did they get Cooper back into his room at the Great Northern if the key was still trapped in the Lodge??
yaxomoxay
Great Northern Member

Post by yaxomoxay »

polishq wrote:Everyone, stop arguing about restrooms. I have something more important!

In the S2 finale, how did they get Cooper back into his room at the Great Northern if the key was still trapped in the Lodge??
Hotels have skeleton keys. Cleaning lady doesn't ask for a key ;)