Part 6 - Don't die (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Manwith
RR Diner Member

Re: Part 6 - Don't die (SPOILERS)

Post by Manwith »

yaxomoxay wrote:
pixletwin wrote:This is like a bad meme.

"No problem watching a show with magical floating dimes, logs that talk, or FBI agents that float out from power sockets. But can't believe it's the same bathroom."
That's not it. We know about the weird stuff, but we also know the meticulous attention to detail in Lynch's works. As far as S3 it seems that nothing is left to chance.
It's still just a TV show. If the set designer screwed up the look do you really think Lynch is going to halt production and screw up the filming schedule over the paint in the bathroom? And is he going to spend money getting the bathroom set "just right" that he could spend on something more interesting?
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

waferwhitemilk wrote:
AgentEcho wrote:The murdering dwarf is nothing new and has been done much much better. (I won't say the name of the movie because I don't want to spoil it, but those of you who have seen it, I'm talking about a scene as scary as anything Lynch has directed, which is saying a lot).
Foul Play?

No, scarier. ...Under the Rainbow.
God, I love this music. Isn't it too dreamy?
indyit
RR Diner Member

Post by indyit »

BigEd wrote:
indyit wrote:...
Regarding the power pole. It's appearance in episode 6 is not clearly at the intersection. It is shown, but I don't think there is anything in the background. It may still be in its original location. Also, I don't believe the pole reflected in Richard's windshield was the same pole.
All valid points I think... what do you reckon it symbolises? Just Lodge hijinks generally? Or maybe it could still represent the Arm, even if it isn't physically him or the same pole.

Just wanted to add my concern for Shelly. I'm going to assume Red's guns from part 2 was him being new to town and flirting, and not this meaning Shelly is in the drug trading business but it's possible!
Zachary
Roadhouse Member

Post by Zachary »

FWIW, I always found it laughable that a men's room in a tiny sheriff's station in a small town would have like 6 stalls in it. I noticed the differences right away in episode 6 and thought, "Oh, good, a more believable restroom this time."
TwinsPeak
RR Diner Member

Post by TwinsPeak »

Wonderful & Strange wrote:I wish these episode threads were used for careful discussion and analysis of the show, not personal evaluations of like or dislike (anyone can say they like or dislike something -- it is not interesting analysis). We could have other threads for gushing and bashing -- hey, we already have one for the bashers. Why not post your personal feelings there where others can avoid it?

It really is redundant and thread clogging to have the disappointed people posting the same thoughts here that they do in their own thread.

I agree with this except I think it's unavoidable to add personal evaluations.....Wonderful & Strange your posts arent any better than other peoples post. Just skip over the stuff you dont enjoy reading.

also your post i just quoted is your personal feeling thus making it a post you said shouldnt be allowed
"Wanting something to be different will not make it so." "Explaining a different rule is not complaining for months. A lie will never be true." - Dale Cooper: My Life, My Tapes.
AgentEcho
RR Diner Member

Post by AgentEcho »

LurkerAtTheThreshold wrote:

It really is a polarising show. Honestly I can't understand why anyone couldn't at least perceive the controversy.

Take an example of (what in my mind) was a great follow on series, 'Ash vs evil dead.'

Now Sam raimi wasn't indebted to fans to do anything with the franchise. He didn't have his hands tied to be a 'fan pleaser'. But the fact is he was happy to have the money behind him to revisit the original idea. As an entertainer he knew what he had to deliver, and he delivered it in spades. It was everything the original was and then some.

Now imagine if Ash vs evil dead had just spent the first five episode with Ash wearing a nappy, and Raimi chhanged his name to 'Little dodo' in some weird commentary on how the evil dead franchise fit into the modern world.

Fans would be rightfully jaded.

It's not that there's just this ungrateful group of nostalgites who wanted something that wasn't promised to them.

Lynch had really pulled something out of left field with this one. Whilst it's got a punk quality, and certainly has a lot of emptional impact.
It's not difficult to see what's got fans so jaded.
It's not difficult to see what's got fans jaded i(t should be clarified here that this is a vocal minority of fans). And I definitely think, without a doubt, a segment of fans are indeed nostalgites who want something that wasn't promised to them.

Twin Peaks and Evil Dead are different franchises. But if we're going to compare the two, Sam Raimi's involvement in the new series was largely restricted to the pilot (since then he's probably been a ceremonial producer). Another showrunner was running the show for two seasons, and that showrunner was shown the door and replaced at the end of season 2. Interestingly, one of the reasons he was replaced? Because another producer felt his creative decisions were "Not Evil Dead". Are you saying you'd prefer a similar set up of creative heads for Twin Peaks, with people being replaced when they don't give the fans what they want?
AgentEcho
RR Diner Member

Post by AgentEcho »

waferwhitemilk wrote:
AgentEcho wrote:The murdering dwarf is nothing new and has been done much much better. (I won't say the name of the movie because I don't want to spoil it, but those of you who have seen it, I'm talking about a scene as scary as anything Lynch has directed, which is saying a lot).
Foul Play?
Earlier than that.There's an actor involved who is connected to a Twin Peaks actor. (Don't guess I actually don't want people who haven't seen the movie to know about the murderous dwarf).
polishq
RR Diner Member

Post by polishq »

AgentEcho wrote:
waferwhitemilk wrote:
Foul Play?
Earlier than that.There's an actor involved who is connected to a Twin Peaks actor. (Don't guess I actually don't want people who haven't seen the movie to know about the murderous dwarf).
I know the movie you're talking about. And yes, definitely a memorable murderous dwarf.
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

that's a great movie. I thought by now it was so famous that it would be like knowing the secret of Rosebud.
God, I love this music. Isn't it too dreamy?
pixletwin
Roadhouse Member

Post by pixletwin »

Audrey Horne wrote:that's a great movie. I thought by now it was so famous that it would be like knowing the secret of Rosebud.
Why is naming this movie so taboo?
LurkerAtTheThreshold
RR Diner Member

Post by LurkerAtTheThreshold »

AgentEcho wrote:
LurkerAtTheThreshold wrote:

It really is a polarising show. Honestly I can't understand why anyone couldn't at least perceive the controversy.

Take an example of (what in my mind) was a great follow on series, 'Ash vs evil dead.'

Now Sam raimi wasn't indebted to fans to do anything with the franchise. He didn't have his hands tied to be a 'fan pleaser'. But the fact is he was happy to have the money behind him to revisit the original idea. As an entertainer he knew what he had to deliver, and he delivered it in spades. It was everything the original was and then some.

Now imagine if Ash vs evil dead had just spent the first five episode with Ash wearing a nappy, and Raimi chhanged his name to 'Little dodo' in some weird commentary on how the evil dead franchise fit into the modern world.

Fans would be rightfully jaded.

It's not that there's just this ungrateful group of nostalgites who wanted something that wasn't promised to them.

Lynch had really pulled something out of left field with this one. Whilst it's got a punk quality, and certainly has a lot of emptional impact.
It's not difficult to see what's got fans so jaded.
It's not difficult to see what's got fans jaded i(t should be clarified here that this is a vocal minority of fans). And I definitely think, without a doubt, a segment of fans are indeed nostalgites who want something that wasn't promised to them.

Twin Peaks and Evil Dead are different franchises. But if we're going to compare the two, Sam Raimi's involvement in the new series was largely restricted to the pilot (since then he's probably been a ceremonial producer). Another showrunner was running the show for two seasons, and that showrunner was shown the door and replaced at the end of season 2. Interestingly, one of the reasons he was replaced? Because another producer felt his creative decisions were "Not Evil Dead". Are you saying you'd prefer a similar set up of creative heads for Twin Peaks, with people being replaced when they don't give the fans what they want?
I'm not saying I'd rather anything.
There's no point.
If anything I'm saying 'imagine if we'd'
thedougpa
RR Diner Member

Post by thedougpa »

polishq wrote:
AgentEcho wrote:
waferwhitemilk wrote:
Foul Play?
I know the movie you're talking about. And yes, definitely a memorable murderous dwarf.
I think I know the movie. Who is the Twin Peaks actor connection though?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
waferwhitemilk
Roadhouse Member

Post by waferwhitemilk »

father-son 8)
polishq
RR Diner Member

Post by polishq »

thedougpa wrote:
polishq wrote:
AgentEcho wrote:
I think I know the movie. Who is the Twin Peaks actor connection though?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Think father and son.
waferwhitemilk
Roadhouse Member

Post by waferwhitemilk »

also, think milk kefir