Post by thedougpa »

Got it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sugarhigh
Roadhouse Member

Re: Part 6 - Don't die (SPOILERS)

Post by sugarhigh »

BigEd wrote:
indyit wrote:Did a search and it doesn't look like anyone's mentioned this - I read an interesting theory on Reddit today about the pylon/electric pole and the Arm. What it suggests is that the pylon we keep seeing (in Fat Trout in FWWM, on the road in part 6 and on the windshield in the forest) is the Arm/MFAP in disguise, watching over events. That's why we've seen the same pylon with the same numbers in three different locations and it's also why he evolved into an electric tree like creature in the Black Lodge. I thought that was a pretty cool idea! There was more to it (suggesting the Arm had something to do with the Let's Rock on the car and tricking Chet into the lodge by leaving the ring as a trap, harvesting mothers/son's garmonbozia following the accident which Rodd sees), but that's the gist of it.
Regarding the power pole. It's appearance in episode 6 is not clearly at the intersection. It is shown, but I don't think there is anything in the background. It may still be in its original location. Also, I don't believe the pole reflected in Richard's windshield was the same pole.
The power pole was filmed at the intersection at the end of the day. Pretty sure it's meant to be at the intersection and not at the old Fat Trout.
A salamander spit donuts.
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

This "you're nothing but the lowly fan who's entitled to zilch so you should keep your place and not dabble in the Master's vision" line of arguing really baffles me (and is getting really tiresome). Yeah, Lynch (& Frost) are the original creators who had total creative freedom in doing the continuation of their show as they please; no-one's denying them their right to do so or saying he, as a fan, should be asked how he wants/envisions the show to proceed. BUT, to say one, as a fan, hasn't got a right to speak if he thinks the artistic property he gushed over for 25+ years hasn't been done justice to by the original creator, is, frankly, more than a little elitist and conceited to boot. Of course this show's meant for the viewers and fans of the original; in fact, I think this continuation owes its very existence to the ardent fans. If Lynch (& Frost) wanted to create new art strictly for personal indulgence, they might as well have painted their bathrooms and watched the paint dry on the walls - there would certainly be no objections from fans there and rightly so. But when you create something fresh and saddle it with its previous, universally known name and put it out into the world, people you're showing it to are gonna have expectations and - in the modern age when there're numerous outlets for expressing oneself in public - be vocal about their feelings. That the latter're gonna be negative as well as positive is practically a given. In this case, where everything from the original is turned on its head, most especially.
marchug
RR Diner Member
Location: Where the birds sing a pretty song and there's always music in the air.

Post by marchug »

Hockey Mask wrote:
Endangered_Wulf wrote:
MoondogJR wrote: I'm really falling in love with this season 3, but I can understand that some have a difficult time with it.
So what. Maybe some folks really really really really enjoyed the original formula better.
Is this really where we are right now?
That was my thought exactly. This board has taken a turn for the worse...
-23-
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

That it's really the show that's taken a turn for the worse is just as valid an opinion.
wxray
RR Diner Member

Post by wxray »

Agent Earle wrote:That it's really the show that's taken a turn for the worse is just as valid an opinion.
There's a thread for that.
SpookyDollhouse
RR Diner Member

Post by SpookyDollhouse »

Agent Earle wrote:This "you're nothing but the lowly fan who's entitled to zilch so you should keep your place and not dabble in the Master's vision" line of arguing really baffles me (and is getting really tiresome). Yeah, Lynch (& Frost) are the original creators who had total creative freedom in doing the continuation of their show as they please; no-one's denying them their right to do so or saying he, as a fan, should be asked how he wants/envisions the show to proceed. BUT, to say one, as a fan, hasn't got a right to speak if he thinks the artistic property he gushed over for 25+ years hasn't been done justice to by the original creator, is, frankly, more than a little elitist and conceited to boot. Of course this show's meant for the viewers and fans of the original; in fact, I think this continuation owes its very existence to the ardent fans. If Lynch (& Frost) wanted to create new art strictly for personal indulgence, they might as well have painted their bathrooms and watched the paint dry on the walls - there would certainly be no objections from fans there and rightly so. But when you create something fresh and saddle it with its previous, universally known name and put it out into the world, people you're showing it to are gonna have expectations and - in the modern age when there're numerous outlets for expressing oneself in public - be vocal about their feelings. That the latter're gonna be negative as well as positive is practically a given. In this case, where everything from the original is turned on its head, most especially.
"I get that the show is meant to be what the creators want it to be but actually it isn't and they should have painted a bathroom instead because I say so"
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

pixletwin wrote:
Audrey Horne wrote:that's a great movie. I thought by now it was so famous that it would be like knowing the secret of Rosebud.
Why is naming this movie so taboo?
Because connecting this movie with "murderous drawf" gives the ending away.
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
AgentEcho
RR Diner Member

Post by AgentEcho »

I don't know if AgentEarl is addressing me with his post. I've made myself pretty clear that I think it's fine to be critical of the show and I've been critical myself. And I'm not calling anyone "lowly". But fans who think their expectations of what Twin Peaks should be should be adhered to by someone like David Lynch have set up an impractical set of stipulations and there was basically no chance you would not be disappointed. That's what happens when you set expectations for something you have no control over. Did you have expectations when you watched the pilot for the first time?

You can be open to whatever is created with the show and still feel it doesn't work, and in that case you didn't set yourself up for a negative reaction.
yaxomoxay
Great Northern Member

Post by yaxomoxay »

Agent Earle wrote:This "you're nothing but the lowly fan who's entitled to zilch so you should keep your place and not dabble in the Master's vision" line of arguing really baffles me (and is getting really tiresome). Yeah, Lynch (& Frost) are the original creators who had total creative freedom in doing the continuation of their show as they please; no-one's denying them their right to do so or saying he, as a fan, should be asked how he wants/envisions the show to proceed. BUT, to say one, as a fan, hasn't got a right to speak if he thinks the artistic property he gushed over for 25+ years hasn't been done justice to by the original creator, is, frankly, more than a little elitist and conceited to boot. Of course this show's meant for the viewers and fans of the original; in fact, I think this continuation owes its very existence to the ardent fans. If Lynch (& Frost) wanted to create new art strictly for personal indulgence, they might as well have painted their bathrooms and watched the paint dry on the walls - there would certainly be no objections from fans there and rightly so. But when you create something fresh and saddle it with its previous, universally known name and put it out into the world, people you're showing it to are gonna have expectations and - in the modern age when there're numerous outlets for expressing oneself in public - be vocal about their feelings. That the latter're gonna be negative as well as positive is practically a given. In this case, where everything from the original is turned on its head, most especially.
Ok. And Now?

Venus
RR Diner Member

Post by Venus »

An excellent post. I think you're wasting your energy with this viewpoint in here though. I think that the majority of fans who really like the new series have posted some great posts and been very insightful. There have also been some very thoughtful posts from those fans for fans who feel disappointed in the show. Mr Reindeer particularly stands out as one of those sympathetic posters if I recall rightly. Thank you to those who have been like this and reacted in a fair and mature manner, seeing both sides of the situation. I've unfortunately though noticed a few snidey digs on here against those who aren't so enamoured of S3. Also there are a great number of posts that assume to know what it is that those who don't like it think. It's all unnecessary. I'm not a fan of the new show but I wouldn't dream of going out of my way to be unpleasant or confrontational to those who do like it. I'm actually pleased for those who like it. I just wish I was one of them.
When Jupiter and Saturn meet...
wxray
RR Diner Member

Post by wxray »

I get it, there are both sides. Just asking how part 6 became another GENERAL (not episode specific) "like it or love it" thread? That discussion is fine, but it is crowding out the discussions of the episodes and their content.
yaxomoxay
Great Northern Member

Post by yaxomoxay »

wxray wrote:I get it, there are both sides. Just asking how part 6 became another GENERAL (not episode specific) "like it or love it" thread? That discussion is fine, but it is crowding out the discussions of the episodes and their content.
Because a week to the next episode (and therefore the next controversies!) is looooooooooooooooong.

wxray
RR Diner Member

Post by wxray »

yaxomoxay wrote:
wxray wrote:I get it, there are both sides. Just asking how part 6 became another GENERAL (not episode specific) "like it or love it" thread? That discussion is fine, but it is crowding out the discussions of the episodes and their content.
Because a week to the next episode (and therefore the next controversies!) is looooooooooooooooong.

Yep! Is it Sunday yet? :)
yaxomoxay
Great Northern Member

Post by yaxomoxay »

wxray wrote:
yaxomoxay wrote:

Yep! Is it Sunday yet? :)
We need a law to abolish Mondays through Saturdays.