Part 6 - Don't die (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

sylvia_north
RR Diner Member

Re: Part 6 - Don't die (SPOILERS)

Post by sylvia_north »

Troubbble wrote:Dale said in the pilot that Theresa's body was found in "a town in the southwestern corner of Washington"... Are we basing Deer Meadow's apparent distance from Twin Peaks on anything other than that?

Seems like Theresa had her body dumped like Laura, and could have floated some distance before being discovered elsewhere.

Deer Meadow being closer to Twin Peaks would make sense in FWWM, too - given the Deer Meadow Deputy's involvement in drug sales there, etc.

Hoping someone will correct me if I'm missing something.
This was an inconsistency LostSoul put on his timeline, but the location of Twin Peaks is also up for question. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0

dossier says Deer Meadown is outside Peaks on the way to Wind River
fwwm says it's near Oregon. If Deer Meadow is close to TP, he says, Sam and Chet could have driven there. **I like to think it's close bc both Leland and Laura hang out there with Teresa and Jacques knows Teresa too.

dossier says Twin Peaks is in NW WA state
In pilot and Access Guide, says 5 miles south of canada, 12 miles west of the state line, so NE WA. Is it close to Seattle or Canada? The series implies both at various times, which is impossible. So I wouldn't worry about it.
Last edited by sylvia_north on Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Too Old to Die Young > TP S03
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Seems Gerard was in the middle stall in the original series. Is this a middle stall in the latest episode? I think they're implying he planted the pages in the door when he was trying to take his injection.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
watergateburglar

Post by watergateburglar »

Jonah wrote:Seems Gerard was in the middle stall in the original series. Is this a middle stall in the latest episode? I think they're implying he planted the pages in the door when he was trying to take his injection.

could be post injection - without chemicals, he points.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

I just googled these images. I think the stalls look similar - just different colour (they could have been painted).
https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-qnjmTeUgV-Q/ ... change.jpg
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
TwistedFate_L4
Roadhouse Member

Post by TwistedFate_L4 »

I'm sorry but I don't have time to go through every page- but what are some of your thoughts on the mother of the hit boy? I understand she's credited as just that, but she reminded me so much of Donna- the dark hair, the style of dress, gorgeous in a "every day woman" sorta way. I know none of the previous actresses that played Donna are back and it seems likely the character won't appear with a new actress- but this woman-Lisa Coronado- just put me in the mind of the character(More so Moira Kelly's version).
Novalis
RR Diner Member

Post by Novalis »

Panapaok wrote:Besides Annie, I can't see shit. I love all of you crazy people that you actually manage to decipher it!
I used Sam Stanley's machine on the screencap and it indeed says 'Annie'.
As a matter of fact, 'Chalfont' was the name of the people that rented this space before. Two Chalfonts. Weird, huh?
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

Cappy wrote:One thing I really appreciate about Season 3 is the way Lynch/Frost have developed Frank Truman into his own character separate from Harry. I was initially worried that the Frank character would just be a convenient substitute for the absent Harry, but Robert Forrester's performance (along with the writing) have carved him into a unique creation.

I don't know if one is necessarily a better sheriff than the other, but I don't think a Deputy Chad could make it onto Harry Truman's force. Harry had a way of building personable bonds with his deputies which gave him a strong insight into their true character. Frank comes off as more stern and distant, but maybe that distance is what makes him incapable of seeing Chad for who he really is.
Also worth noting: While some of the high-tech new guard in the nerve center mock them and they're seen as foolish, Hawk, Andy and Lucy (and possibly Bobby) are quietly poring through the old case files and slowly making connections and getting things done. Meanwhile Frank's new force is compromised by the drug trade (Chad) and he doesn't yet realize it. Only Maggie seems to respect it.

I think Frank is probably a good guy and supports Hawk's investigation, but he doesn't have the connection to the past that the original gang does.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
HagbardCeline
RR Diner Member

Post by HagbardCeline »

billloomis wrote:I'm sorry...i know this belongs in the BASH thread, but the guy with the gun looks so much like a paid extra just standing there. They really could have came up with a better thug. Outside of his size he is not menacing in the slightest.
Consider that entire scene, the guy was perfect. A more mundane TV show would have had them standing there looking scary. But remember that Richard is fried out of his mind on this new Chinese powder. Everything he perceives in that scene is suspect.

Also would like to point out that the guy with the big gun is actually the show's 2nd Assistant Director.
Leacock
Roadhouse Member

Post by Leacock »

Jasper wrote:
Leacock wrote:
Jasper wrote:
Huh? :?: :?: :?:
The non-mundane parentage is a reference to my theory that he's also the Evil Cooper's child, Audrey is of course a normal person. I should have been more clear about that.
The kid is creepy, yes, but what are the supernatural aspects of the character? The dime trick that was done to him? The fact that he was at the MIKE intersection driving like a lunatic? Is your thinking that he was compelled to drive that way due to the #6 electric pole? To me it seemed like he was just very agitated from the drugs and the meeting, and he lost his patience, then the situation was taken advantage of by lodge spirits, or what have you.

Side note: The #6 electric pole showed up in Part 6.
There was the dime trick, but I was thinking more during his introduction, the way his hands seemed to merge into the girl's neck, like he wasn't entirely there (physically).

Mind you, on the latter point some people say it was just the result of really cheap and lazy special effects so I guess we can't say for sure if that actually meant anything.

In terms of the power pole I thought it was interesting that the garmonbozia went straight to the power pole as I had thought in other cases that it needed to actually be harvested (as happens in the conclusion of FWWM) but even so, the proximity to the power pole was probably the most significant factor there.

The main evidence for my suspicion that he's Audrey's (in this episode)was that aforementioned (and entirely subjective) impression I had that, prior to the kid dying, they were doing a darker version of how they introduced Audrey. That is how I remember the introduction of Audrey anyway - very unlikable and weird at first then gradually becoming more sympathetic.
WhiteLodge90
RR Diner Member
Location: You're on the path. you don't need to know where it leads. just follow.

Post by WhiteLodge90 »

Cappy wrote:One thing I really appreciate about Season 3 is the way Lynch/Frost have developed Frank Truman into his own character separate from Harry. I was initially worried that the Frank character would just be a convenient substitute for the absent Harry, but Robert Forrester's performance (along with the writing) have carved him into a unique creation.

I don't know if one is necessarily a better sheriff than the other, but I don't think a Deputy Chad could make it onto Harry Truman's force. Harry had a way of building personable bonds with his deputies which gave him a strong insight into their true character. Frank comes off as more stern and distant, but maybe that distance is what makes him incapable of seeing Chad for who he really is.

On the other hand, I don't know if Harry could deal with Frank's wife, or the trauma they experienced with their son's suicide. So while Harry might have been a better sheriff (so far), Frank has been capable of having a family and relationships outside of the job, something Harry could never quite do.

I made a point early on saying something similar. Harry I believe would never have hired Chad. And if he did would've fired him right after his first remark but I also believe Harry wouldn't have made so many updates to the police force like his brother did in terms of technology etc. Harry strikes me as the kind of guy who prefers a grass roots run, blue collar operation. I do think Harry is the better cop and character but Frank has his advantages too and I'm sure we'll see more of him soon enough.
The milk will get cool on you pretty soon.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Random thought - does anyone else think they're waiting to bring Julee Cruise on stage at the Bang Bang Bar for the closing credits of the first episode where Coop returns to Twin Peaks?
TwistedFate_L4
Roadhouse Member

Post by TwistedFate_L4 »

mtwentz wrote:
Henrys Hair wrote:Loving this season, loved this episode... and yet a few doubts remain - namely that 18 hours might not be enough.

While I don't want everything tied up (in fact, having every aspect neatly tied up would be about the worst possible ending afaik), there are so many plots going on that I'm starting to wonder if there'll be time to return at all to ones that seemed to have more to offer (eg Hastings in his cell, is that it for the glass box?) and whether more of the original cast will get substantial development/plotlines of their own. At the moment, it still feels like the MD series that never was with a few TP cameos. Not a bad thing, necessarily, but also seems a bit of a waste of the returning cast - I don't just want a brief recap of what Shelly, Bobby etc are up to now - I want to spend a bit of time with them too.

Having said all that, last week I was wondering why Naomi Watts was cast in a 2D role that could have been played by anyone, and then this episode she stole the show for me, so who knows what's in store...
Yeah, I was just thinking if James is going to get up the courage to ask out this Renee girl, Lynch better have put the both of them in some more episodes pretty soon!
I feel exactly the same way. I'm enjoying it greatly, but as the episodes go by I get more and more fearful that there won't be enough time to truly invest in the older characters other than having them popping in and out for quick cameos. With this amount of characters and plotlines that are being juggled- I almost think maybe they should've shot for 25-30 episodes rather than 18. It's been nice stretching our legs and visiting different locations, but I will indeed be happy once Twin Peaks and its residents becomes the one and only focus. That's where the magic is for me. All the scenes in Twin Peaks are the ones that truly capture my attention- The Double R, Richard Horn causing havoc, The woman's son being hit(though it seems to be up in the air if that's Dear Meadow or Twin Peaks- either way, still riveting). I'm all for going where Lynch/Frost takes us but I do hope by Episode 10 or so we can be fully back in Twin Peaks...but as another user said, I'm not the one writing the story.
Hockey Mask
RR Diner Member

Post by Hockey Mask »

Jonah wrote:Random thought - does anyone else think they're waiting to bring Julee Cruise on stage at the Bang Bang Bar for the closing credits of the first episode where Coop returns to Twin Peaks?
That would be nice but I think it'll be the final episode.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Very much looking forward to them getting back to Twin Peaks too. I don't mind if some of the new characters end up following along - Janey-E, even some of the goons if need be - but I think it will be great once Coop (and Bad Coop!) get back to TP.
Hockey Mask
RR Diner Member

Post by Hockey Mask »

The hit and run was definitely in Twin Peaks.