Part 6 - Don't die (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Mairzy
Roadhouse Member

Re: Part 6 - Don't die (SPOILERS)

Post by Mairzy »

eyeboogers wrote:Possibly related to Red and his liver problems: "Prometheus, in eternal punishment, is chained to a rock in the Caucasus, where his liver is eaten daily by an eagle,[7] only to be regenerated by night, due to his immortality. The eagle is a symbol of Zeus himself. Years later, the Greek hero Heracles (Hercules) slays the eagle and frees Prometheus from the eagle's torment."
Confirmed. Red will be chestbursted tonight.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

boske wrote:But is Sonny Jim his kid really? Let us say Good Coop swapped places with Bad Coop, as originally "intended by the lodge". Would he then inherit Bad Coop's record? Yes, I do root for Janey and Sonny, and really hope they do not get set up to be taken out (as somebody predicted), but we do have a dilemma here, what is his life, what is his own, to be precise.
As with most of DKL's post-TP work, I think that questions of identity are going to be a huge theme in this show -- particularly in terms of how much our core personal identity is defined by circumstances, and shifts and changes with aging. We're seeing a Cooper who has lost a huge chunk of his life and behaves like either an infant or a person with dementia while living out one of his paths not chosen/missed out on (wife, child, office job), while a supposedly evil version of himself is living another path Coop might have chosen (using his brilliance to benefit himself and victimize others). The question of how much overlap there is between Coop and DoppelCoop is going to be very interesting to sort out.

Re, the diary pages: it's tough to be sure based on the glimpse we got, but the diary pages appear to be written on yellow paper (as opposed to white paper that yellowed over time). Continuity glitch (and weird production decision -- who has a yellow diary?!) if that's the case.
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

sylvia_north wrote:
Jasper wrote:
qbin2001 wrote:
Again... Wrong.
It's not capital "O" before "Annie", It's a part of letter "g" from line above.
It's not "I keep" but "(...)d keep".

Someting like that:

"(...)d keep (going/ring) miss it (was)
(...)my (?) thing to
(...) (h)and (?) Annie."
I'm going with this:

"I keep going over it in my mind, trying to understand, Annie,"

It could be "head" instead of "mind". That word isn't visible, but is inferred by the words that are (thought to be) around it.
https://www.reddit.com/r/twinpeaks/comm ... room_door/ Here's a better image.

I bet you're wrong too Jasper. I'm not even convinced it says Annie

Or that it's from the diary
I'm still going with my guess. I don't expect to be 100% correct, but I do think that I'll at least be partially correct. I can't make out the weird shape before "Annie". "Oh, Annie" makes sense, but it's such a mess I just can't tell. So the only amendment I'll make is to leave a blank spot there:

"I keep going over it in my head/mind, trying to understand. ___ Annie,"

I hope that nobody gets too worked up if we don't get back to these pages until next Sunday. That said, Hawk's been in every episode, so here's hoping we continue this thread tonight.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

No Hawk, no Peaks.
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

Jerry Horne wrote:
Mr. Reindeer wrote:I'd LOVE to see Graham playing a deranged insane version of Annie.
Part 18 cliffhanger: Cut to Annie in a mental hospital: "119! 119!"

There will be no season four.
Excellent work.
Hockey Mask
RR Diner Member

Post by Hockey Mask »

After much investigation I believe it's...

"Annie, are you ok?
So, Annie are you ok
Are you ok, Annie
Annie, are you ok?
So, Annie are you ok
Are you ok, Annie
Annie, are you ok?
So, Annie are you ok?
Are you ok, Annie?
Annie, are you ok?
So, Annie are you ok, are you ok Annie?"
Wonderful & Strange
Great Northern Member

Post by Wonderful & Strange »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:
boske wrote:But is Sonny Jim his kid really? Let us say Good Coop swapped places with Bad Coop, as originally "intended by the lodge". Would he then inherit Bad Coop's record? Yes, I do root for Janey and Sonny, and really hope they do not get set up to be taken out (as somebody predicted), but we do have a dilemma here, what is his life, what is his own, to be precise.
As with most of DKL's post-TP work, I think that questions of identity are going to be a huge theme in this show -- particularly in terms of how much our core personal identity is defined by circumstances, and shifts and changes with aging. We're seeing a Cooper who has lost a huge chunk of his life and behaves like either an infant or a person with dementia while living out one of his paths not chosen/missed out on (wife, child, office job), while a supposedly evil version of himself is living another path Coop might have chosen (using his brilliance to benefit himself and victimize others). The question of how much overlap there is between Coop and DoppelCoop is going to be very interesting to sort out.

Re, the diary pages: it's tough to be sure based on the glimpse we got, but the diary pages appear to be written on yellow paper (as opposed to white paper that yellowed over time). Continuity glitch (and weird production decision -- who has a yellow diary?!) if that's the case.
Yes, you two are on the right track here as we're exploring who Cooper really is, and I don't think this is just merely an arbitrary exploration of identity tacked on to the story but necessary in understanding why Coop failed in the Black Lodge and if he can change enough in order to succeed this time.

But one expressionist trope I work with in my own writing is the splitting up of different aspects of the personality in order more richly explore it.
Member of the Agent Tammy Preston Defense Lodge
boske
Great Northern Member

Post by boske »

There is another strange thing about Dougie. I do not recall seeing a family photo of Dougie in their house. Furthermore, the photo that Spike gets looks to be the very same pose we see when we first meet Dougie with Jade?
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

Most likely because that's when production took the photo to use as the prop. Kyle was probably only in hair, makeup and fat suit (?) for two days... In the condo and in the red room.
God, I love this music. Isn't it too dreamy?
Harry S. Truman
RR Diner Member

Post by Harry S. Truman »

Jerry Horne wrote:
Mr. Reindeer wrote:I'd LOVE to see Graham playing a deranged insane version of Annie.

How do you know that won´t be season four?? I hope you are wrong!
psyifinotic
Roadhouse Member

Post by psyifinotic »

ToriFreak2016 wrote:Can't remember if it was this episode or the last one with the 119 lady, and don't know of this has been mentioned but 119 is also the pill imprint number for hydrocodone/acetaminophen (vicodin)

And she is certainly a pill popper.
woah this is actually a good theory
Normonaut
Roadhouse Member

Post by Normonaut »

Harry S. Truman wrote:
Jerry Horne wrote:

How do you know that won´t be season four?? I hope you are wrong!
The only reason I think so is because the ratings haven't been good. (Live ratings only, don't know about streaming and reruns)
Yes, "showtime doesn't care", but their investors might.
Agent Cooper. Listen to the sounds.
It is in our house now. It all can not be said aloud now.
Remember 4 - 3 - 0
Richard and Linda. Two birds with one stone.
You are far away.
ToriFreak2016

Post by ToriFreak2016 »

psyifinotic wrote:
ToriFreak2016 wrote:Can't remember if it was this episode or the last one with the 119 lady, and don't know of this has been mentioned but 119 is also the pill imprint number for hydrocodone/acetaminophen (vicodin)

And she is certainly a pill popper.
woah this is actually a good theory
Heh...yeh it seemed to make sense with how much drugs play in to twin peaks.
homieonice
Roadhouse Member

Post by homieonice »

|'m getting v. excited for tonight's episode!

A few random thoughts I've been having lately...

What if the body is NOT Major Briggs' body, but instead the Original Dougie Jones (before being replaced with "manufactured Dougie Jones". If this is the case WHEN was the manufactured Dougie Jones manufactured, and when were the bodies SWITCHED...

Another thought, and this is just complete and utter speculation, but I have a feeling something weird is going to go down with Linda's electric wheelchair. Electricity is a vitally important part of the world of Twin Peaks, and I had this vision of coop somehow taking the wheelchair and using it to travel to another dimension or another time (Back To The Future anyone???)

I also had this idea Coop somehow learns to fly / float / hover in his newly born hyper intuitive state.
There they are Albert... Faces of stone!
dronerstone
RR Diner Member

Post by dronerstone »

wow never thought about that wheelchair too much before...

Now that you say it, there might be some importance to it, as it gets mentioned in a particular way of being important. :)
I suppose it wouldn't otherwise.