Part 6 - Don't die (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

douglasb
RR Diner Member

Re: Part 6 - Don't die (SPOILERS)

Post by douglasb »

I cringed at the 'soul' effect after the accident.

I cringed at the acting of the extras in the same scene.

The clue for Hawk proving to be pretty mundane is really no different than the 'man in the smiling bag'.

Watts was great, but if we get a 'Janey-E vs. Crazy Dwarf' fight scene I think the show will jump the shark big time. Clearly Coop is in no condition to defend himself so I'm a little concerned the newly assertive J-E will step in to save him in the event of an assassination attempt.
Metamorphia
RR Diner Member

Post by Metamorphia »

Slow ep, although to be expected in an 18 part series with lots of threads to develop.

Great moments, namely Ike the Spike
fortinbras

Post by fortinbras »

anthoto1 wrote: As some here are establishing rankings, I never understood how individually rating episodes of a global coherent work could even make sense. Nobody would get the idea of rating each chapter of a novel. To me, that's even less appropriate with a show that hasn't been conceived or cut as typical TV.
+1
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

douglasb wrote:I cringed at the 'soul' effect after the accident.

The clue for Hawk proving to be pretty mundane is really no different than the 'man in the smiling bag'.

Watts was great, but if we get a 'Janey-E vs. Crazy Dwarf' fight scene I think the show will jump the shark big time. Clearly Coop is in no condition to defend himself so I'm a little concerned the newly assertive J-E will step in to save him in the event of an assassination attempt.
At this point I have accepted the Cgi, but the cringy
Acting was intentional. Out of the crowd, only Carl Rodd went to help. Rest of the crowd just watched her suffer. They just acted to care about her son.
It kinda mirrors real life, where just pretend to care about us
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

Metamorphia wrote:Slow ep, although to be expected in an 18 part series with lots of threads to develop.

I felt that this was the fastest episode till now
Metamorphia
RR Diner Member

Post by Metamorphia »

krishnanspace wrote:
Metamorphia wrote:Slow ep, although to be expected in an 18 part series with lots of threads to develop.

Mainly the Dougie stuff, I guess.
Metamorphia
RR Diner Member

Post by Metamorphia »

krishnanspace wrote:

At this point I have accepted the Cgi, but the cringy
Acting was intentional. Out of the crowd, only Carl Rodd went to help. Rest of the crowd just watched her suffer. They just acted to care about her son.
It kinda mirrors real life, where just pretend to care about us
Spot on, and this is totally the theme of S3.
thunderclap82
Roadhouse Member

Post by thunderclap82 »

sylviecerise wrote:DougieCoop is wearing his own suit today, so I'm guessing he's going to snap back in next week's episode.
If not next week then very soon. He seemed to come to a bit when the One Armed Man spoke to him before starting on the case files. Also, and I'm surprised no one has mentioned this (granted, I'm only 10 pages through the 20 page thread), during the case file scene we got to hear some new Badalamenti music. At least it sounded new to me.
indyit
RR Diner Member

Post by indyit »

Another very enjoyable episode, and a happy DroolCoop is lovely to see. It's a shame they've dragged out this Diane plotline to next week (or beyond?) but considering everything that's going on I don't mind. I wonder if when Frost and Lynch first proposed the show, the Showtime execs took the Dougie parts as being an episode and a half or so, and Lynch had to clarify that he thought he needed double the length for the season because we're getting half a season of DroolCoop.

Really enjoyed the Badalamenti music introduced after the hit and run. The scene itself felt fairly telegraphed and I think I'd stumbled onto a spoiler ages ago so I knew something like this was coming. The scene worked due to Stanton's performance, but I couldn't quite get into the tragedy the same way as Laura's death because it felt a little hollow. His mother being credited as hit n run mom also sorta makes it all feel a little unnecessary. But maybe that's the point, I think what will really decide what I think of it is how it affects Richard Horne in later episodes. I hope it doesn't fall away like Bobby's murder did.
Cooperscoffeecup
RR Diner Member

Post by Cooperscoffeecup »

Call me crazy, but did anyone else find the Albert/Diane exchange a little strange... like there is also something else going on there. She didn't exactly seem that surprised to see him. Am I missing something?

The truck scene was something else. Not quite as violent as i expected (having seen the spoiler info) but still shocking.
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

Metamorphia wrote:
krishnanspace wrote:

Dougie part was also fast for me. Maybe I got used to Dougie. Kinda starting to love him
Metamorphia
RR Diner Member

Post by Metamorphia »

krishnanspace wrote:
Metamorphia wrote:
krishnanspace wrote: I felt that this was the fastest episode till now
Dougie part was also fast for me. Maybe I got used to Dougie. Kinda starting to love him
I love Dougie too but I found his scenes a little wanting. So far we've had Dougie doing new comic stuff in each episode whereas here it just seemed to be repetitious of the previous things.
PeaksCarnivaleLost
Roadhouse Member

Post by PeaksCarnivaleLost »

garethw wrote:Question about the Drugged-Out Mom:

Is her "1-1-9" footage from tonight the same footage as we've seen before, or was it different? Looked really similar to me, but haven't compared.

she was in a different chair
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

It is counterproductive to create in one's mind a scene that probably won't happen anyway, and state that hypothetical scene will ruin the show before one has already seen said hypothetical scene

For the last two years on this board, we have seen countless examples of, 'I will not like this show if it's too surrealistic', 'I won't like it if Good Coop is not already out of the Lodge', 'I won't like it if it's not like the old series', or 'I won't like it if it's too much like the old series and plays on nostalgia', or 'I won't like it if there are alternate timelines'....

At a certain point, we've just got to let go of any and all expectations and watch what is presented to us, and then (and only then) decide if we like it or not: we cannot pre-judge plot developments and footage we have not yet seen, as it is all in the execution.

The above having been said, my worse nightmare is that we end Twin Peaks with Dale still trapped inside the Black Lodge :-).
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

mtwentz wrote:

It is counterproductive to create in one's mind a scene that probably won't happen anyway, and state that hypothetical scene will ruin the show before one has already seen said hypothetical scene

For the last two years on this board, we have seen countless examples of, 'I will not like this show if it's too surrealistic', 'I won't like it if Good Coop is not already out of the Lodge', 'I won't like it if it's not like the old series', or 'I won't like it if it's too much like the old series and plays on nostalgia', or 'I won't like it if there are alternate timelines'....

At a certain point, we've just got to let go of any and all expectations and watch what is presented to us, and then (and only then) decide if we like it or not: we cannot pre-judge plot developments and footage we have not yet seen, as it is all in the execution.

The above having been said, my worse nightmare is that we end Twin Peaks with Dale still trapped inside the Black Lodge :-).
Worst nightmare for me would be if Laura says I'll see you again in 25 years in the last episode :D