Part 6 - Don't die (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Esselgee
RR Diner Member

Re: Part 6 - Don't die (SPOILERS)

Post by Esselgee »

Was it possible that I read about the hit and run kid before? Like maybe in the old non-spoiler thread?

That didn't look much like the Sheriff's station's mens' room from the old show.
frompureair
Roadhouse Member

Post by frompureair »

Amazing I can't believe it but to me it keeps getting better every week. So worth the wait. Feel very fortunate to be a part of this journey. Was so hoping Dean was Diane but not the way I pictured her at all, I feel like that was one of those reveals that would be hard to meet anyone's expectations.

The traffic light was so appreciated and the intersection from FWWM. Amazing band lead singer reminded me of Cobain. Can't wait to hear that Vedder track gonna be a very touching performance I feel.

This is the most amazing tv experience ever. Already surpassed Breaking Bad or anything even close. This is a real mystery and a level of storytelling I've never seen. Have any of the viewing numbers been posted? Is the show doing well? I can't imagine it's not.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Esselgee wrote:Was it possible that I read about the hit and run kid before? Like maybe in the old non-spoiler thread?

That didn't look much like the Sheriff's station's mens' room from the old show.
If that's the worst complaint people have, I'll take it :-)
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

I loved Part 6. I think this one seemed like the last one in terms of feeling more like an episode (at least to some of us).

I was riveted the whole time. Maybe I'm in an extreme minority, but I actually like the Dougie-Coop scenes. Cooper is my favorite character in television and film, and I know some people are very frustrated, but it's supposed to be a battle. I think Kyle is doing a stellar job. I find the things happening around Coop to be pretty interesting, and I like the Lucky 7 office, which features some good actors. Don Murray seems like he's been acting all along, but apparently he hasn't acted in 16 years. I like the assistant with the coffee, and though he didn't speak this time, I like the actor who played the character who Coop said was lying (and surely is lying).

I've probably been in this forum too much, because when I saw the sparkling white things on the case files, I automatically though "People are going to complain about that effect."
wxray
RR Diner Member

Post by wxray »

It was a bit obscure and may not be noticed by many, especially non-american fans. So here it goes.

Hawk dropped a nickel -- a 5 cent piece -- that rolled into the stall. The nickel was an old "indian head" nickel, which means it was from before 1939. It is VERY uncommon these days to get one in change, but it does happen. Call this quite a lucky accident. He then saw the Nez Perce manufacturing, and it went from there.

The nickel may be overlooked since it was an authentically worn down coin. Hard to see.
Last edited by wxray on Sun Jun 11, 2017 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

WhiteLodge90 wrote:Thoughts on Red having supernatural powers? Or is he just good with his hands and or a coin?
Don't forget that Richard was also whacked out of his mind.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Jasper wrote:I loved Part 6. I think this one seemed like the last one in terms of feeling more like an episode (at least to some of us).

I was riveted the whole time. Maybe I'm in an extreme minority, but I actually like the Dougie-Coop scenes. Cooper is my favorite character in television and film, and I know some people are very frustrated, but it's supposed to be a battle. I think Kyle is doing a stellar job. I find the things happening around Coop to be pretty interesting, and I like the Lucky 7 office, which features some good actors. Don Murray seems like he's been acting all along, but apparently he hasn't acted in 16 years. I like the assistant with the coffee, and though he didn't speak this time, I like the actor who played the character who Coop said was lying (and surely is lying).

I've probably been in this forum too much, because when I saw the sparkling white things on the case files, I automatically though "People are going to complain about that effect."
The Dougie scenes are growing on me. I think there's going to be a big payoff. And those of us with young children= those are scenes our kids can relate to.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
BEARisonFord
RR Diner Member

Re: DOUGIE RESOLUTION

Post by BEARisonFord »

WhiteLodge90 wrote: Not complaining about the overall show just want this gag to play itself out finally.
I think you're underestimating the narrative Lynch/Frost are creating here by passing DougieCoop off as a gag. I get some people are frustrated and while a lot of it is seemingly played for laughs, there's clearly something deeper going on both thematically and narratively, that much is clear with the past 2 episodes I think, so I'm going to hang in there. Lynch/Frost continue to defy my expectations and that's a good thing.
Esselgee
RR Diner Member

Post by Esselgee »

frompureair wrote:Have any of the viewing numbers been posted? Is the show doing well? I can't imagine it's not.
The reported viewing numbers have been very low. Although, they have really only counted "live" watchers and not streaming or on demand watchers.
BEARisonFord
RR Diner Member

Post by BEARisonFord »

mtwentz wrote: The Dougie scenes are growing on me. I think there's going to be a big payoff. And those of us with young children= those are scenes our kids can relate to.
I don't even think there's going to be anything amounting to a big payoff, but it's clear it'll lead to something. I do think we are in for the long haul on this particular thread though.
AgentEcho
RR Diner Member

Post by AgentEcho »

My initial reaction is this is easily the worst episode so far. I'm willing to wait and see how all that transpired plays in the grander scheme of things, but I hope that this represents a low point as far as my initial reactions go.

The Dougie stuff started to grow on me the last episode but while I accepted we'll be spending more time with this story, it's testing my patience at this point. The scribbles were mildly interesting when we were wondering what they were about, but the revelation that it was another manifestation of some psychic ability was not particularly interesting since it's repeating a story beat from last week.

I sure hope the hit and run scene serves some grander purpose in the story. It was hard to watch. At least from a strictly filmmaking perspective it was effective in that it was well acted and emotionally wrenching, but the floating spirit thing felt a little off. The scene needs a better reason to exist other than making sure we hate Richard even more, and to establish Carl has abilities as well.

The reveals of Diane and Hawk finding what's missing, were nice, if not particularly surprising, but there was so little payoff other than the unsurprising reveals. I'm also glad we got an explanation for Frank's wife's mania, but Chad's lack of empathy felt very on the nose as far as making sure we know this guy is a bad character. Of course the same goes for Richard.

This isn't going to be an episode I'm eager to rewatch... and I've rewatched every episode so far pretty enthusiastically. Every episode has gotten better on a rewatch but I think I may wait until a couple more episodes air before I watch this one again. It definitely shows the weakness of expanding what was initially supposed to be a 9 hour run to 18 hours. A lot of this feels a lot like what Fire Walk with Me edited with the Missing Pieces in would feel like. I'm not sure this series couldn't use some more Missing Pieces, but I'll wait and see.
garethw
RR Diner Member

Re: DOUGIE RESOLUTION

Post by garethw »

BEARisonFord wrote:
WhiteLodge90 wrote: Not complaining about the overall show just want this gag to play itself out finally.
I think you're underestimating the narrative Lynch/Frost are creating here by passing DougieCoop off as a gag. I get some people are frustrated and while a lot of it is seemingly played for laughs, there's clearly something deeper going on both thematically and narratively, that much is clear with the past 2 episodes I think, so I'm going to hang in there. Lynch/Frost continue to defy my expectations and that's a good thing.
+1
asquideatingdough
Roadhouse Member

Post by asquideatingdough »

Some things:

-The coin that Hawk dropped was a Buffalo Nickel, I believe it's called.

-Linda (!) that lives in Fat Trout is in a wheelchair because of the war.

-Sheriff Frank Truman's son committed suicide as a result of being in the war.

-Chad is a true douche.
FlyingSquirrel
RR Diner Member

Post by FlyingSquirrel »

Chad sure is an asshole. How did he get hired as a cop in the first place?

I thought back when I first saw FWWM that perhaps Carl Rodd had encountered the Lodges at some point in his life ("I've been places") and had mostly resolved to stay away from them, and that the strange-looking woman in the trailer park reminded him of that somehow, hence his reaction to her. The Secret History seemed to confirm this and I was happy that they followed up on it here. I think this is the first time we've heard the name "Linda" since the prologue to the first episode, so maybe Carl and the Fat Trout Trailer Park are actually going to play a bigger role in this?

It seems like "Dougie" must have had some sort of mental illness before he was replaced by catatonic-Cooper, given that Janey referred to "one of his episodes" last week, but is everyone accustomed to just letting his "episodes" persist for days until he snaps out of it?

My main concern at this point isn't even so much that the Dougie scenes are getting tiresome as that it seems like we're actually supposed to be invested in all the plots and machinations taking place in Las Vegas, e.g. the guy who had the red square appear on his computer, the murder of the woman whose picture was in the same envelope as Dougie's picture, and whatever the scribblings on those case files signified to Dougie's boss. At this pace, I'm not sure how all that's going to tie back into the threads involving Evil Cooper, the Lodges, the murder in South Dakota, and the goings-on in Twin Peaks in the remaining episodes.
Robot Butler
RR Diner Member

Post by Robot Butler »

This is a Netflix style show airing on a Cable network, which hurts the pacing. I'll take what I can get, but people holding off until it's finished so they can watch it in one quick go are probably going to have a smoother viewing experience than we are.

All in all I'm still loving this.