Part 6 - Don't die (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Hester Prynne
RR Diner Member

Re: Part 6 - Don't die (SPOILERS)

Post by Hester Prynne »

Did anyone notice the reflection of the electrical pole in the front windshield of Richard's truck right before he puts the truck in park? It's clear he's surrounded by nothing but trees when he pulls off the road. Also, you can hear the same noise we heard when Coop was getting zapped by the electrical field before entering gateway 3.
QuantumMechanic

Post by QuantumMechanic »

With respect to the comments about The One-Armed Man (and the Lodge, or at least the Red Room) being too "benign", maybe the denizens are doing it out of self-interest.

In the very first scene in S3 we have the Giant (or ???????, anyways) telling Cooper "it is in our house". We have Laura Palmer being yanked away to god knows where. And TOAM has looked very agitated/anxious for quite some time now.

I think something has gone very wrong in Lodge-land (no doubt due to BOB/DoppelCoop) and TOAM is trying to help DougieCoop as a way of helping/saving himself.

As for the electrical pole, I had the half-serious thought that the pole itself is some Lodge creature's manifestation in our world and has been moving around. Especially (as the previous poster noted) hearing the electrical noises when Horne parked his truck in the woods to clean off the blood.
That gum you like is going to come back in style.
madeleineferguson
RR Diner Member

Post by madeleineferguson »

Anyone else notice that the old school yellow phone at Dougie's house is nearly identical to one of the phones in Mulholland Drive?

I'm starting to wonder if the entire Dougie story is simply a dream.
Cappy
Great Northern Member

Post by Cappy »

I don't mind Philip Gerard/MIKE being able to directly contact DougieCoop at will. I know some people have complained that Gerard's constant messaging to DougCoop diminishes the mystique of the Red Room, but I think it's somehow works given DougCoop's mental state. DougCoop exists in something of an instinct-based, child like state, and just like children pick up on things that adults are too busy or cynical to notice, DougCoop can here the Lodges calling. I think that stripping Cooper of his memories and life experiences has somehow left him more in touch with intuition. This has given him the ability to guess which lottery machine is due for a win, tell when people are lying, and detect Sonny Jim's sadness when no one else around can. Maybe as a part of that he is in sync with the Lodges somehow, and can communicate with the Spirits with some ease.

Aslo, I love how Philip Gerard has to wave his arm in the air before calling Coop, like a cellphone user wandering around the wilderness looking for service/bars.
Saturn's child
RR Diner Member

Post by Saturn's child »

madeleineferguson wrote:Anyone else notice that the old school yellow phone at Dougie's house is nearly identical to one of the phones in Mulholland Drive?
Janey-E also looks at Coop & raises a finger to her lips before speaking, which reminded me of Betty & Rita making the phone call in MD.
Saturn's child
RR Diner Member

Post by Saturn's child »

Also, RE: Jeffries --

* The red square
* The modulated voice ("Is this Phillip Jeffries?")
* The trasmutating beeper in Buenos Aires

Is he now a kind of A.I.?
Aerozhul
RR Diner Member

Post by Aerozhul »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:
asquideatingdough wrote:What do you think Cooper was trying to do with his sleeve in the opening scene? Take his jacket off?
Looked very much to me like he was trying to hide his left arm, mirroring the real Dougie's arm shriveling up in the Red Room courtesy of the ring. Not sure what to make of that, tho'.
I thought his sleeve was just caught on the casefile folders?
Saturn's child
RR Diner Member

Post by Saturn's child »

Aerozhul wrote:
Mr. Reindeer wrote:
asquideatingdough wrote:What do you think Cooper was trying to do with his sleeve in the opening scene? Take his jacket off?
Looked very much to me like he was trying to hide his left arm, mirroring the real Dougie's arm shriveling up in the Red Room courtesy of the ring. Not sure what to make of that, tho'.
I thought his sleeve was just caught on the casefile folders?
I think it was, but it sure did echo Dougie's disappearing hand ("That's.... weird...") & the one-armed man, both of which were a left hand/arm.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Am I the only one who found it weird that the sheriff's station seemed to be operating "business as usual" (Frank distributing menial tasks, gossip about Frank's marriage) hours after a small child was killed in a vehicular homicide? I get that scenes in this 18-hour movie were likely shuffled around, but that disparity felt pretty jarring.
yaxomoxay
Great Northern Member

Post by yaxomoxay »

Panapaok wrote:Maybe I'm just seeing things, lol.
A few seconds later Hawk opens one of the pages; it looks like five lines of text are visible for a split second. Can anyone screenshot it? (I am unable to :( )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
konoyaro

Post by konoyaro »

Nice catch - I couldn't make out the title but initially thought DKL was maybe more of a Tom Swift kinda guy...
Mr. Reindeer wrote:Sonny Jim has a stack of Hardy Boys books on his shelf, but the one that he's reading in the dark before Coop comes in has an evocative title: The Secret of the Old Mill!
konoyaro

Post by konoyaro »

When Albert first views Diane from behind at the bar, my initial reaction based on the hairstyle was that it looked like Theresa Banks.
yaxomoxay
Great Northern Member

Post by yaxomoxay »

Has anyone noticed that droolingCooper actually says the first independent sentence ?
When the director is reviewing the papers he says:"How can I make sense of THIS".
DroolingCooper actually commands him: "Make sense of IT."

I think this is the first time that Dougie/Cooper says something on his own, without repeating.

BigEd
RR Diner Member

Post by BigEd »

yaxomoxay wrote:Has anyone noticed that droolingCooper actually says the first independent sentence ?
When the director is reviewing the papers he says:"How can I make sense of THIS".
DroolingCooper actually commands him: "Make sense of IT."

I think this is the first time that Dougie/Cooper says something on his own, without repeating.

What about "he's lying?"
baxter
Great Northern Member

Post by baxter »

Has anyone commented on this yet?

http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/twin-peaks ... ar-ending/

Really nice interview with Kyle, and he gives me faith that this really is building to something amazing.