Part 6 - Don't die (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

dronerstone
RR Diner Member

Re: Part 6 - Don't die (SPOILERS)

Post by dronerstone »

nice... only 9 more hrs. :)

I'm also convinced it might intensify tonight. can't wait.
Robot Butler
RR Diner Member

Post by Robot Butler »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:
Cappy wrote:Kind of a trivial question, but who owns the Packard Saw Mill now? There seemed to be some logging activity just before the Red & Richard interaction. I remember something in Secret History about Catherine signing Ghostwood back to Ben... Did she give him the mill as well?

It just seems like if Ben owned the mill, it would've been alluded to in his scene with Jerry. Or at the very least, if Ben owned the mill, he wouldn't be so consumed with a skunk in his motel.

I kind of hope Ben doesn't own the mill, and instead it's been inherited by some quirky Martell nephew of Pete and Catherine.
I had started a thread about the ambiguous fate of the mill in season 2 here: http://www.dugpa.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 847#p75847

I'm beginning to increasingly doubt that its fate will ever be directly addressed (the show had clearly lost interest in the mill even in season 2, despite how heavily its operation or shutdown would bear on the town's economy). However, the Easter egg of the Secret of the Old Mill Hardy Boys book, as well as the show's seeming interest in touching on economic issues like the housing collapse (bank signs outside empty homes at Rancho Rosa) and Janey-E referencing the 99% makes me think perhaps the repercussions of the mill shutdown will be mentioned at some point.

As soon as I saw that (stunning) shot of the logs, I wondered if it was the Packard Mill, but I don't believe so.
This version of Twin Peaks seems to be a far more working class version of the show than the original. I suspect the Packard shenanigans are being ignored because Lynch/Frost just don't find it contemporary and/or at odds with the 99% themes they are exploring.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Robot Butler wrote:This version of Twin Peaks seems to be a far more working class version of the show than the original. I suspect the Packard shenanigans are being ignored because Lynch/Frost just don't find it contemporary and/or at odds with the 99% themes they are exploring.
I get what you're saying -- the original show focused on the soap opera shenanigans of upper-class lumber barons Catherine, Josie, etc. However, as tmurray noted in the other thread, the Mill could be an excellent way to explore the working class/economic themes that are obviously at play in the new show. As the town's biggest employer, the Mill's shut-down would have had a catastrophic effect on the blue collar working class. If the Mill is gone, what happened to that community? Did a new industry rise to fill the gap? (Ghostwood/tourism? Not exactly the kind of work former mill workers might easily transition to.) i really hope this is addressed in one way or another.
boske
Great Northern Member

Post by boske »

mtwentz wrote:
Mr. Reindeer wrote:
boske wrote:If there is any logic to all of this material that we are getting, then Annie must play a role. I mean, Annie was in the lodge with Cooper and Earle! That is why we still see Leland and Laura, isn't it? The argument that we cannot see her because she is dead does not really hold up. She could too say "I am dead and yet I live", why not? The only way we do not see her if she is missing and nobody knows where she is.

If she is never mentioned or merely brushed aside, then it would be really lame. We had been stuck with that Coop mirror image for 25 years, and all we get is a "Who's Annie?" Could they really do that?
She left the lodge. Her body is outside with DoppelCoop's in Episode 29 in the woods, and TMP shows her in his hospital. I wouldn't find it hard to believe that she recovered and moved on with her life.
I also wouldn't find it hard to believe that either:

1) DoppelCoop killed her to keep her silent.

or

2) She went into hiding, perhaps protected by someone linked to Major Briggs.
#1 is precisely what I had in mind: would not she then go back to the lodge?
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

boske wrote:
mtwentz wrote:
Mr. Reindeer wrote:
She left the lodge. Her body is outside with DoppelCoop's in Episode 29 in the woods, and TMP shows her in his hospital. I wouldn't find it hard to believe that she recovered and moved on with her life.
I also wouldn't find it hard to believe that either:

1) DoppelCoop killed her to keep her silent.

or

2) She went into hiding, perhaps protected by someone linked to Major Briggs.
#1 is precisely what I had in mind: would not she then go back to the lodge?
I assume since all sould pass through the Lodge on their way to perfection.

Another possibility I did not think of: she could be an insane asylum, drive n to madness by her Lodge experience.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

I'd LOVE to see Graham playing a deranged insane version of Annie.
boske
Great Northern Member

Post by boske »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:I'd LOVE to see Graham playing a deranged insane version of Annie.
Kyle did respond when somebody asked him if we would find out "how's Annie". His answer: "depend on it". Plus Mark's more generic "everything will be revealed in due time".
Panapaok
Bookhouse Member

Post by Panapaok »

My guess is that we'll hear about Annie through the missing pages but we will not see Heather Graham. Her fate will be explored in The Final Dossier. I'd love to see a cameo from her, though.
This is - excuse me - a damn fine cup of coffee.
Cappy
Great Northern Member

Post by Cappy »

I imagine that if the Mill did completely go under shortly after the original series, then the town of Twin Peaks would've begun sliding towards something resembling Dear Meadow over a period of 20 years or so. It has been hard to gauge the socio-economic setting of the town in the new series though, so it's hard to say though. But Carl Rodd has brought Fat Trout Trailer Park closer to TP, so the town is more like Dear Meadow now, at least in that one narrow regard.
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

boske wrote:
Mr. Reindeer wrote:I'd LOVE to see Graham playing a deranged insane version of Annie.
Kyle did respond when somebody asked him if we would find out "how's Annie". His answer: "depend on it". Plus Mark's more generic "everything will be revealed in due time".
I'm not sure about Mark's "all will be revealed "... Are we really expecting Norma's mom thing to suddenly make sense?
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
boske
Great Northern Member

Post by boske »

Ross wrote:
boske wrote:
I'm not sure about Mark's "all will be revealed "... Are we really expecting Norma's mom thing to suddenly make sense?
Yeah, it's probably the part of the same package. I do not think we should trust everything they say (e.g. "two of us did not rewatch season 2"), I mean, it is not that they distort the truth for fun, but they probably want to keep certain things hidden until they are ready to reveal them. I am just hoping these things start showing up sooner rather than later.
Wonderful & Strange
Great Northern Member

Post by Wonderful & Strange »

Why would DoppleCoop even bring Annie back with him if he was worried she'd reveal him in some way?

He'd either have some kind of dark purpose for her, or he wouldn't consider her a threat.
Member of the Agent Tammy Preston Defense Lodge
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Wonderful & Strange wrote:Why would DoppleCoop even bring Annie back with him if he was worried she'd reveal him in some way?

He'd either have some kind of dark purpose for her, or he wouldn't consider her a threat.
I am not sure DoppelCoop brought her back, so much as she escaped the Lodge at the same time as DoppelCoop.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
sylvia_north
RR Diner Member

Post by sylvia_north »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:
Annie was obviously conceived as a "damsel in distress" narrative device for season 2 to reveal layers of Coop's character, a function she fulfilled. As much as I love Graham and want to see her work with DKL again as a more mature performer, I don't feel any particular need to see Annie the character. A line of dialogue that she was killed by DoppelCoop (a la Briggs), and our Coop coming to terms with that, would be fine. (No mention whatsoever would admittedly be a bit odd...but again, 25 years have passed and both versions of Coop have a whole lot more on their minds than a fling that lasted for a few days a quarter-century ago.

I'm still highly suspicious that many of Mark's errors/retcons in the book were anything other than faulty memory/failure to fact-check his own show. Time will tell, obviously, but I'm not putting too much weight into his cryptic comments.

And the nurse was the last person with the ring, not Annie. (Honestly, I'd much rather see that character again than Annie. Who the hell was she?!?!)
I purposely said Annie was the last one *with* the ring because her last scene had the nurse stealing the ring. I did not forget! We just have to resolve that. It is way too interesting to just write off in a line or two, especially since Heather Graham is very much alive. Once you've worn the ring, as Twisted Hair warned, your fate is sealed. I concur that there should be an evil Annie. And that nurse does look like a Linda- relation to Richard?

I'm taking Frost at his word. Audrey, is just as nonessential as was clearly written in as a damsel in distress as a narrative device in season one to reveal Cooper's character :wink: I'm surprised she's not dead! she was yesterday's news as soon as Annie came to town.

Annie also led Cooper to Owl Cave - I suppose I could've been anyone but it seems important that it was her.

I think all the "inaccuracies" which were deliberately planted are going to be clarified. It was in someone's best interest to alter history and we're going to find out who and why
Too Old to Die Young > TP S03
Wonderful & Strange
Great Northern Member

Post by Wonderful & Strange »

mtwentz wrote:
Wonderful & Strange wrote:Why would DoppleCoop even bring Annie back with him if he was worried she'd reveal him in some way?

I am not sure DoppelCoop brought her back, so much as she escaped the Lodge at the same time as DoppelCoop.
If she escaped on her own, that begs the question how. Black Lodge forces seemed in control of her and Coop, so it's doubtful she escaped all on her own.

Perhaps Mike or the Giant helped her escape? Or maybe Bad Coop had evil plans for her?

I'm a big Heather Graham fan, I think she's a much better actress than some give her credit for, and I'd like to see her come back. Most importantly there seem to be narrative reasons for Annie to return, in some fashion, even if just via a letter.

I've thought that maybe she returned to the convent after Dale disappeared and all the Lodge shenanigans. Who could blame her?

But I also like the theory that Annie -- or Audrey -- change their name to Linda for some reason.

They both might do it to hide their identity from Bad Dale, but we have to wonder if that would even work. Linda apparently also was in the military -- I can't imagine Audrey taking that route. Annie, maybe? That would be an interesting twist considering her convent background. From peaceful nun to warrior? Why not.

More likely Linda is a new character and Annie's role was cut down due to the character's redundancy with Audrey, who Dale can have interest in now 25 years later. Dale already has too many love interests, probably -- Audrey, Janey-E, and possibly Diane? Other than plot purposes, Annie sort of just adds to an already crowded situation? Personally, I don't object to crowds, but maybe Lynch and Frost did?

If I was writing this, I'd want to see Annie, Audrey, Diane, and Janey-E all in a scene together at some point, fighting over their different Dales. :D
Member of the Agent Tammy Preston Defense Lodge