Part 6 - Don't die (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

asquideatingdough
Roadhouse Member

Re: Part 6 - Don't die (SPOILERS)

Post by asquideatingdough »

I was just about to point out the difference in backgrounds here. Is it safe to say that it's not just a different angle, but that the pole has moved? Or at least the building behind the FWWM pole is not in the S3 pole?
BEARisonFord
RR Diner Member

Post by BEARisonFord »

garethw wrote:
In TSHoTP, though, Carl Rodd is from Twin Peaks - there *is* no Deer Meadow. They appear to have converged, like the lodges. "Two keys, two lodges. Fear opens one, love the other".

Even in FWWM, there seems to be some ambiguity about TP and DM. I think it interesting that Deputy Cliff shows up outside of Twin Peaks, and Teresa-Leland link the two towns, as well.
I basically think they wanted Fat Trout to be a lot closer than already established, so they've retconned it a little bit by having the "new" Fat Trout seemingly closer to Twin Peaks than before, no more no less.
WhiteLodge90
RR Diner Member
Location: You're on the path. you don't need to know where it leads. just follow.

Post by WhiteLodge90 »

One thing I hope they keep in this new show is good or bad lodge spirits in the real world like the Chalfronts or Phillip Gerard or even seniordroolcup.
The milk will get cool on you pretty soon.
WhiteLodge90
RR Diner Member
Location: You're on the path. you don't need to know where it leads. just follow.

Post by WhiteLodge90 »

BEARisonFord wrote:
garethw wrote:
In TSHoTP, though, Carl Rodd is from Twin Peaks - there *is* no Deer Meadow. They appear to have converged, like the lodges. "Two keys, two lodges. Fear opens one, love the other".

Even in FWWM, there seems to be some ambiguity about TP and DM. I think it interesting that Deputy Cliff shows up outside of Twin Peaks, and Teresa-Leland link the two towns, as well.
I basically think they wanted Fat Trout to be a lot closer than already established, so they've retconned it a little bit by having the "new" Fat Trout seemingly closer to Twin Peaks than before, no more no less.
It would make total sense for Becky and Steven lived in Fat Trout.
The milk will get cool on you pretty soon.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

The pole is at the 4-way intersection. Same numbers, different pole.

I've been told the big number refers to how many feet underground the pole is. If that's true , six feet under (death) comes to mind.
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
Cappy
Great Northern Member

Post by Cappy »

WhiteLodge90 wrote: It would make total sense for Becky and Steven lived in Fat Trout.
I imagine that Becky and Steven get their drugs from Richard Horne, which makes me very nervous for Becky's wellbeing.

Also, I guess something bad will happen to the RR customer who spotted RIchard fleeing the crime scene. Maybe Richard will call in a favor with Deputy Chad, or pressure Steven into paying off debts...
Mr. Strawberry
RR Diner Member

Post by Mr. Strawberry »

My post earlier in the thread was mostly response, but I wanted to mention that I did have something of a change in my view of the Dougie situation last night.

Initially, I thought the flickering on Sinclair's face was an indication from The One Armed Man or something, and it really bothered me. Again when Coop was working on the "case files", I felt extremely irritated about it. I thought he was being led through it all by spirits.

We don't want the action to propel the characters forward, because they're just rubber duckies in a tub at that point.

While Dougie's boss was reviewing Cooper's work, it suddenly occurred to me that these "green flashes" could merely be visual indications of Dale's intuition, and that he is actively working through things on his own as he comes to. I like the Dougie scenes a lot more now, since this does seem to be the case. It makes me think that the old Coop is actually there already. It reminds me a little of my son as he's grown. I see him as emerging rather than forming.

Regarding the demand for "Good ol' Coop" to return, and the counter argument being made that fans are simply yearning a return to the former series, or that they're having unrealistic expectations given the creators of the material, well, the fact that people want so badly for Cooper to snap out of it -- the fact that people are so disappointed by his absence -- at least goes to show you:

-Dale Cooper is incredibly likable.
-We care a ton about Coop and are heavily invested in his well being.
-Without Cooper around we can feel the hole it leaves in certain people's lives. We know that Audrey felt a lot for him, and judging from Diane's current lifestyle and what she projects, there seems to be a huge loss in her past that could in part be due to his disappearance.
-Kyle absolutely slam dunked the role because 25 years later we still yearn for Agent Cooper's return.
Electric Tree wrote:Okay, I just want to make sure that at this point we DONT know what the scribblings Dougie made on the insurance claims mean to his boss, correct? ...or did I miss something obvious?
While nothing specific was displayed, it seems like he pointed out a bunch of inconsistencies. He was able to see that things didn't add up using his intuition combined with his great attention for detail and ability to detect authenticity. Sinclair must be heavily involved in scamming the agency, and his days are definitely numbered now.

TwinsPeak wrote:Why did Lynch show the 1-1-9 scene a 2nd time?
I thought the idea was to show how dismal, meaningless and ultimately repetitive her life is. It's just a repeat existence: The same daily emptiness and emotional pain, the same frustration with it, and then the same high in an attempt to dull or wash that reality away. But it doesn't work and she never gets beyond that moment because she's avoiding rather than confronting her problems.
sylvia_north
RR Diner Member

Post by sylvia_north »

dupe post deleted
Last edited by sylvia_north on Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Too Old to Die Young > TP S03
sylvia_north
RR Diner Member

Post by sylvia_north »

garethw wrote:
federicomiozzo wrote:
asquideatingdough wrote:
Yes! I want people to talk about this. Is the 5 digit number on the pole a zip code? What is the purpose of the single 6 on the pole? When I say purpose, I mean the real life purpose, not what it might symbolize.

What puzzles me (drives me nut) is that that's THE pole of FWWM, the No. 6 pole that was "somehow" linked to the No. 7 on the elevator for at the FBI Headquarters where Jeffries happered. Lynch put THAT specific pole (which is the SAME one of FWWM) for a porpouse. What's really puzzling is that if the trailer was moved from Deer Meadow to TP, how could the pole move too?! It is not just a pole it's THE pole. Electricity/Garmombozia eating pole.

Deer Meadow is on page 322

The FWWM phone pole (as well as the 6, a fan stole it) is likely gone as the real trailer park flooded and is gone

Jerry Horne wrote:The pole is at the 4-way intersection. Same numbers, different pole.

I've been told the big number refers to how many feet underground the pole is. If that's true , six feet under (death) comes to mind.
I don't know what the big number means but get this, the other numbers are .... GPS coordinates.... Mr C wanted those to someplace
garethw
RR Diner Member

Post by garethw »

sylvia_north wrote: Deer Meadow is on page 322

Confirmed - TP

:)
asquideatingdough
Roadhouse Member

Post by asquideatingdough »

sylvia_north wrote:
garethw wrote:
federicomiozzo wrote:

What puzzles me (drives me nut) is that that's THE pole of FWWM, the No. 6 pole that was "somehow" linked to the No. 7 on the elevator for at the FBI Headquarters where Jeffries happered. Lynch put THAT specific pole (which is the SAME one of FWWM) for a porpouse. What's really puzzling is that if the trailer was moved from Deer Meadow to TP, how could the pole move too?! It is not just a pole it's THE pole. Electricity/Garmombozia eating pole.

Deer Meadow is on page 322

The FWWM phone pole (as well as the 6, a fan stole it) is likely gone as the real trailer park flooded and is gone

Jerry Horne wrote:The pole is at the 4-way intersection. Same numbers, different pole.

I don't know what the big number means but get this, the other numbers are .... GPS coordinates.... Mr C wanted those to someplace
Ooh, I could buy this.
Troubbble
RR Diner Member

Post by Troubbble »

Dale said in the pilot that Theresa's body was found in "a town in the southwestern corner of Washington"... Are we basing Deer Meadow's apparent distance from Twin Peaks on anything other than that?

Seems like Theresa had her body dumped like Laura, and could have floated some distance before being discovered elsewhere.

Deer Meadow being closer to Twin Peaks would make sense in FWWM, too - given the Deer Meadow Deputy's involvement in drug sales there, etc.

Hoping someone will correct me if I'm missing something.
sylvia_north
RR Diner Member

Post by sylvia_north »

Troubbble wrote:
wxray wrote:
federicomiozzo wrote: Yes! I want people to talk about this. Is the 5 digit number on the pole a zip code? What is the purpose of the single 6 on the pole? When I say purpose, I mean the real life purpose, not what it might symbolize.

The yellow numbers are defined by the utility. Each utility has a different way of identifying poles. Many have mixed numbers and letters. The use of these yellow numbers is quite standard. This is not a zip/postal code in the real world. Who knows what the yellow numbers are here. Might be a clue.

The "6" is just pure Lynch. It is not uncommon, however, for people to put up their own junk on poles to identify things. Small example: a business may number poles for emergency groupings from a building
Have never been to a trailer park in my life, but in FWWM I always assumed the #6 and #7 were address numbers for individual trailers. (One associated with Theresa's, the other with the one vacated by the Chalfonts.)

As for the Deer Meadow discrepency? I'm lost so far.

Ok the large number on the plate means it's the order of the pole as it's placed on the line. If there's a 1/2 after the big number, it was placed after the main line was set :mrgreen: My Google Fu is strong.
Cappy
Great Northern Member

Post by Cappy »

One thing I really appreciate about Season 3 is the way Lynch/Frost have developed Frank Truman into his own character separate from Harry. I was initially worried that the Frank character would just be a convenient substitute for the absent Harry, but Robert Forrester's performance (along with the writing) have carved him into a unique creation.

I don't know if one is necessarily a better sheriff than the other, but I don't think a Deputy Chad could make it onto Harry Truman's force. Harry had a way of building personable bonds with his deputies which gave him a strong insight into their true character. Frank comes off as more stern and distant, but maybe that distance is what makes him incapable of seeing Chad for who he really is.

On the other hand, I don't know if Harry could deal with Frank's wife, or the trauma they experienced with their son's suicide. So while Harry might have been a better sheriff (so far), Frank has been capable of having a family and relationships outside of the job, something Harry could never quite do.
watergateburglar

Post by watergateburglar »

Re:

B) Secret Diary. Leland tears pages out *before* the Annie dream. Laura takes this to Harold. Leland brings some of the torn out pages to the crime scene when he murders Laura, but, they are unreadable. Later, on Harold's death, Harold mails a torn out page to Donna containing mention of the dream about her and Cooper. There is also an entry written on the day of Laura's death that would've had to have been written at Harold's place.

It seems that Laura went back to Harold's to write down that final bit, "Tonight is the night that I die" I think that passage read, so maybe she wrote about the Annie dream at that point
OR perhaps Annie appeared in her dreams over and over.

Fire Walk With Me can be read as a fever dream or a half remembered recollection of events, since Donna is someone else, Norma's hair is too short, any number of other inconsistencies. you could see it as Laura's recollections or Cooper imagining events or some other person dreamweaving, hence "We live inside a dream"...