Part 7 - There's a body all right (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

The Archivist
Roadhouse Member

Re: Part 7 - There's a body all right (SPOILERS)

Post by The Archivist »

psyifinotic wrote:
Mallard wrote:Did anyone else think that the piece of flesh left on Ike's gun looks a lot like the mystery flesh found in Hastings' trunk?
i have a feeling a lot of this is being told out of order
Ike looks like he still has all of his fingers.

It looked like a chewing gum to me :D !
manalicream
Roadhouse Member

Re: RE: Re: Part 7 - There's a body all right (SPOILERS)

Post by manalicream »

Wonderful & Strange wrote:The sweeping scene is actually more interesting than it appears. You have to read it metaphorically though and then contrast it with J.M. Renault's dialogue.

The sweeping gives a sense of cleanliness, which is ironically counterpointed by J.M.'s obscenity. By the time the scene is over the place appears clean, but we now realize the Renault's have always owned the place, so it's never really been so, deep down.
Nice. It can also be interpreted as a metaphor for lynchs approach to storytelling in relation to the show as a whole. It won't be a quick fix to what at times can appear messy but if we hold out things should become clearer.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
madeleineferguson
RR Diner Member

Post by madeleineferguson »

Jerry Horne wrote:
madeleineferguson wrote:Wow, that was an incredible episode. I can't wait to watch it again.

The barkeep sweeping up the floor was so great. Lynch knows it's satisfying to watch everything get cleaned up, and narratively, it's coming. I love that he acknowledged that for us, it was a real comfort.

I wonder if perhaps Janey E and Sonny Jim somehow represent Cooper's Mom and himself as a child?
This crossed my mind after the crying scene.
There's been zero intimacy between Janey E and Dougie, her only interactions with him are motherly. Feels deliberate!
alreadygoneplaces
RR Diner Member

Post by alreadygoneplaces »

The Archivist wrote:
psyifinotic wrote:
Mallard wrote:Did anyone else think that the piece of flesh left on Ike's gun looks a lot like the mystery flesh found in Hastings' trunk?
i have a feeling a lot of this is being told out of order
Ike looks like he still has all of his fingers.

It looked like a chewing gum to me :D !
It wasn't his thumb, it was a chunk of his palm, below his thumb. I don't have the means or time to screencap, but I paused it and there's a brief moment before he runs away where you can see the exposed flesh..
opium
Roadhouse Member

Post by opium »

alreadygoneplaces wrote:I'm confused by some of the conclusions people jump to... not every character has to be related or connected, and if they were, it would be a terrible show

- Doc Hayward just said "I thought at the time he might've been there to visit Audrey Horne" - I certainly didn't infer from this that evil coop raped a comatose Audrey conceiving Richard, and don't think for a minute that we as an audience were supposed to. Now that it's mentioned, I wouldn't 100% rule it out given BOB's predilections, but I'd be astonished and disappointed if true; it'd be a terrible, heavy handed plot idea- a clumsy path to a completely unnecessary (and kind of hackneyed) family tie
The show has been thematically consistent in regards to the brutalization of women so Audrey having a bastard child as a result really isn't much of a stretch.
alreadygoneplaces
RR Diner Member

Post by alreadygoneplaces »

opium wrote:
alreadygoneplaces wrote:I'm confused by some of the conclusions people jump to... not every character has to be related or connected, and if they were, it would be a terrible show

- Doc Hayward just said "I thought at the time he might've been there to visit Audrey Horne" - I certainly didn't infer from this that evil coop raped a comatose Audrey conceiving Richard, and don't think for a minute that we as an audience were supposed to. Now that it's mentioned, I wouldn't 100% rule it out given BOB's predilections, but I'd be astonished and disappointed if true; it'd be a terrible, heavy handed plot idea- a clumsy path to a completely unnecessary (and kind of hackneyed) family tie
The show has been thematically consistent in regards to the brutalization of women so Audrey having a bastard child as a result really isn't much of a stretch.
Under different plot circumstances, sure, but not these ones. The doppelgänger emerging from the lodge only to immediately run to the hospital to impregnate Audrey in her coma before leaving town- I think that would just be a really clumsy way of forcing the issue in order to engineer a family connection. I think it's far more likely that he was looking for the ring.
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

Now IF ONLY FOR THAT WINDOM EARLE MENTION!..
bastia
Roadhouse Member

Post by bastia »

Richard and linda. Two birds with one stone.

At this point I guess the two birds are Audrey and Diane. The stone is Coop. Richard and Linda are siblings, same father, different mother ;)

Is the missing page the one talking about the dream of cooper and laura? The one that mrs treemond gave to Donna

Edit:
Also, i was thinking about major briggs. He sure as hell stayed in the lodge ( or the convenience store). I guess as they kind of say in TSHOTP major briggs discover that Badcoop is not Coop indeed.
Major Briggs then has in some way seen the 'creation' of dougie jones. I am thrilled to see how they will show that. In which marvelous and creepy way ahah.
Last edited by bastia on Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
sycamore
Roadhouse Member

Post by sycamore »

Bushnell Mullins is fascinating in a very subtle way. There's not a lot of talk about him in the forum, so I did some research into the big poster on his wall:

Tougher than the rest
Bushnell
"Battling" Bud
Mullins
in four furious rounds
Tuesday
18th June
7:30 PM
Civic
Auditorium
General Adm $1.50
Reserved Seating $2.50-$3.50
Ringside $5.00

Using a perpetual calendar, there are only three years in the appropriate time frame that have June 18 being on a Tuesday:
calendar 2: 1957, 1963
calendar 8: 1968
http://vpcalendar.net/Weekdays.html

What happened on Tuesday, June 18, 1963?!?!?!:
Spoiler:
Clay vs Cooper. That's right, Muhammad Ali. Cassius Clay vs Henry Cooper.
https://boxinghalloffame.com/muhammad-a ... ne-18-1963
(yes, this was at Wembley, and not Civic Auditorium, but the synchronicity of the date and name is wow bob wow!)

Here's my hunch: Mullins is on a 4-round undercard in some other city on the same day that Muhammad Ali faced Henry Cooper. Mullins mentions the Ali-Cooper fight to DougieCooper in one of their conversations in episode 8 or 9, then all the memories start flooding back!

But there's more:

Bushnell Mullins understands DougieCooper's drawings.

From TSHOTP (page 61-63) [Wayne Chance writing about his travels with Denver Bob in the late 1800s when they came upon Owl Cave]:
"No gold but DB called me over and we both held up our lights. On his side the whole wall's covered with painting I guess you’d call it. Different colors. Not like one picture, but a whole mess a strange shapes and symbols, kind of primitive. Injun work, no doubt, and they can't draw fer shit. Don't add up to any sense we can make of it. Looks like a bird, maybe, but who know, its like a damn kid's scribbles."

From S3E6 (40:06-46:10):
Mullins: "What the hell - are all these childish scribbles? How am I going to make any sense out of this?"
DougieCooper: "Make - sense of it." [note the different and final word - like a request]
Mullins: "I'm thinking you may need some good professional help, Dougie."
DougieCooper: "Help. Dougie."
(Mullins continues to look through case file after case file while DougieCooper studies the big poster of 'Battling' Bud, then, Mullins realizes something in the drawings).
Mullins: "Dougie! Thank you. I want you to keep this information to yourself. This is disturbing - to say the least. I'll take it from here, but I may need your help again. You've certainly given me a lot to think about."
DougieCooper: "Think about."
Mullins: "Dougie, you're an interesting fellow."
(Mullins attempts to shake hands, but DougieCooper imitates Mullins' hand movements). [note: hand movements are very important in the lodge]

From S3E7 (34:15-40:30)
Mullins: "I have some questions about those files that you covered for me, Dougie. But you go ahead. We can take care of that tomorrow."
IMG_0852.JPG
IMG_0852.JPG (43.79 KiB) Viewed 10239 times
What did DougieCooper draw? Images that relate to his last 25 years are highly probable. Black circles, lodge floor angles, possibly electrical wires and poles, and ladders - the same kinds of ladders that make The Giant in the Owl Cave glyph. But why would Mullins recognize these? My hunch is that Mullins was somehow related to Project Blue Book and worked with Garland Briggs and Dougie Milford back in the day. Briggs, the Archivist, writes a fair amount about owl cave. Dougie Milford and Dougie Jones. Dougie. Now that's an uncommon name. Did the top secret project they were working on somehow 'manufacture' Dougie Jones and name him Dougie as an ode to Milford in an attempt to affect changes and mess with the lodge? Some kind of way to trap good and evil Coopers in the regular world? OK, yeah, I'm way out there on a limb with that wild speculation ... but that's what happens in the middle of the night after watching Episode 7. Twice. We'll learn more when Mullins talks with DougieCooper in the morning. Episode 8. The final episode before the holiday break. Is a cliffhanger coming? Does the Ali-Cooper fight get it's mention?

On another note: Wednesday, June 18, 1952 - the day that the LA Times reported that Jack Parsons, co-founder of the JPL (Jet Propulsion Laboratory, who was also heavily into 'black magic' was killed in an explosion. (TSHOTP page 268) ... a true story. Read the Archivist Note following the clipping and then wiki Jack Parsons.
The Archivist
Roadhouse Member

Post by The Archivist »

For analysis, Cooper's scribbles :D
TheAlien
RR Diner Member

Post by TheAlien »

Rudagger wrote: More Dougie still, but the attack was great! At this point not gonna guess if when he becomes Coop again (I thought he might be drawing the owl cave map this time but who knows).
Good prediction, it'd make a lot of sense!!
For I am I: ergo, the truth of myself; my own sphinx, conflict, chaos, vortex—asymmetric to all rhythms, oblique to all paths. I am the prism between black and white: mine own unison in duality.
― Austin Osman Spare
Gabriel
Great Northern Member

Post by Gabriel »

For the first time, this episode made me feel like the show justified the name 'Twin Peaks.' It's just a shame that I had to put up with six episodes of mostly dross to get to an episode I enjoyed.

Interesting that the evil Coop evidently took great pleasure in despoiling everything the good Cooper cared about. When our Coop snaps out of his stupor, he's going to have a bit of a shock!
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

Gabriel wrote:For the first time, this episode made me feel like the show justified the name 'Twin Peaks.' It's just a shame that I had to put up with six episodes of mostly dross to get to an episode I enjoyed.

Interesting that the evil Coop evidently took great pleasure in despoiling everything the good Cooper cared about. When our Coop snaps out of his stupor, he's going to have a bit of a shock!
So you're staying on board for now, I take it?
EwanM
Roadhouse Member

Post by EwanM »

First impression on Ep 7:
Really enjoyed it.

Loved Laura Dern as Diane. I think she's going to be at the heart of this, and central to DougieCoop's transition back to Dale Cooper.

Greatly enjoyed the mirroring of the scene with the two goons and Janey-E ('tough dame') in the scene in the apartment with Gordon, Albert and Diane ('tough cookie'). Will be interesting to see what happens when the tough dame and the tough cookie meet, and the transition between "Janey-E's 'Dougie'" and "Diane's Coop" will be interesting. How will Janey-E handle the transition? Will she allow him to be 'claimed' by the other woman or fight to keep him? Definitely feels like a metaphor for a mother letting her child go out into the world.

I'm glad that Lynch eased back from the explicit violence of the previous episode, reverting to his signature 'ominous background hum of malevolence' style. Far more effective.

The scene with Ben and Beverly in the Great Northern was fantastic. I'm intrigued by Beverly and want to find out more about her.

The open door at the truck owner's place, as has already been mentioned, bristled with dark possibilities, in the same way as Laura's painting in FWWM.

Agree with those who have said that the scene in the corridor in Buckhorn, South Dakota was terrific. As the shadowy figure gradually approached, and the realisation that this could be the apparition that floated up and out of the jail cell down the hall from Bill Hastings, the fear grew. Enjoyed how Lynch cut back to the morgue and we had to wait to see if the figure would shamble into the room, disappear into the ether, or simply, and terrifyingly, just walk past the open door. A masterclass in suspense and subtlety, as beautifully executed as the Winkie's scene in Mulholland Dr.

Glad to see Ike the Spike's attack neutralised with such graceful economy by Coop - the instinctive, soulful style of Lynch will always prevail over the cynical shock tactics of Tarantino et al.

Almost laughed out loud at the floor sweeping scene at the Roadhouse. if I'm honest I didn't love the J-M Renault phone call, like a few scenes in the return it felt a little stilted, but it's a minor criticism.

Overall, this was great. Can't wait to watch it again.
Last edited by EwanM on Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
metrojoe82
Roadhouse Member

Post by metrojoe82 »

trismegistus wrote:I'm going to post some things I noted in no particular order

7. Technically Laura gave her secret diary to Harold before Annie visited her. My only explanation is that she wrote it in the other diary and Leland tore them out in the morning before she died, or she just wrote it on loose paper. I REALLY don't want to blame continuity goofs on Frost/Lynch.
I think it's totally reasonable to think/imagine that she'd had that "dream" with Annie several times and had written that down in her diary before she saw Harold. Plus, there's never a hard specification of time with Lynch. We move forward and backwards in time fairly regularly through his lens.