Part 7 - There's a body all right (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

yaxomoxay
Great Northern Member

Re: Part 7 - There's a body all right (SPOILERS)

Post by yaxomoxay »

Mairzy wrote:
yaxomoxay wrote:Ok - Can ANYONE figure out what Dougie says while Jennie-E is talking right before the shooting? She says "Sonny Jim" and he says something as the loud sound begins. I cranked my headphones up and I can hear him saying something, I hear his voice but I can't understand what he says. Anyone?

I feel it's another YREV moment.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I saw that but I couldn't hear him say anything after a rewind or two. He is mouthing something randomly.
Dougie never says random stuff! ;)
Yeah, I almost became deaf to hear Dougie's voice, but it's there. He does says something. Weird :)

cowwithfivelegs
Roadhouse Member

Post by cowwithfivelegs »

Last edited by cowwithfivelegs on Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ragnell
RR Diner Member

Post by Ragnell »

My money for Annie is on returned to the convent, I wouldn't object to seeing her again. However... I never bought her as Cooper's second great love. He was definitely in love, and experiencing an emotional reawkening with her but I didn't see her as the sort of person he would end up with. She was too sweet, too innocent, too much of a feminine mirror for him. And I think, in Ep 29, when he got to the Lodge it became apparent. He blended her with Caroline. He reexperienced his pain at losing Caroline when he entered the Lodge, very little of that vision used experiences with Annie. Overall, it seemed like the experience with Caroline completely eclipsed his experiences with Annie.

Yes, Cooper agreed to give up his soul for her without hesitation... but that's Cooper. He would sacrifice himself for another person even if she wasn't his final destined one and only love. I think she needs to be brought up because it's the natural part of the investigation, because Cooper would want to know her fate, but not because she was a particularly life-shattering love. More likely it seems like he transferred his love for Caroline onto her, maybe there were some significant similarities, and that's what tanked him. (And that explains why the Giant warned him against Annie, because she was the sort of romance that was moving backwards rather than forwards and made him vulnerable in the Lodge.)

So I'm good with Annie returning, but not a retread of the Annie-Cooper romance. Convent seems like a great place for her, she had an experience and returned (not necessarily retreated) to a life of devotion.

The portrayal of Diane supports this more for me, too. The way Albert and Gordon react to her. They smile when she curses at Tammy. They seem to be smiling a little when she curses them out. I think Diane left the FBI angrily, with some trauma relating to Cooper's fate, but I don't think the way she acts is expressing that anger. I think she was always using this language, and making these demands and always was very worldweary and sophisticated but took care of them all nonetheless. ("Something between a saint and a caberet singer." "I don't have any coffee. Or cigarettes" followed by a tray of coffee.)

Annie has none of these traits. Audrey had some similarities, though, but the girl in Twin Peaks I'd bet was the most like Diane was Laura.

Of the Return characters, I keep thinking Diane has some key commonalities with Janey-E. I want to see Coop, when he gets most of his sensibilities back (I'm gonna bet some of the damage will linger) interact with her as an equal. I wouldn't object if she stuck around the whole series and decided that this was a personality change brought on by trauma (Dougie's existence would work to explain Cooper's disappearance to the normal world, FBI Agent on stressful case experiences trauma and retreats into a secondary personality, with the original personality coming back after 25 years is probably what's going on the books when this end) and goes with him to Twin Peaks as his oblivious, protective wife.
Last edited by Ragnell on Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
lotjx2
Roadhouse Member

Post by lotjx2 »

I just got done with it. Really good solid episode. One of my favorites, so far. I liked how we didn't away too much at the beginning with the Diane storyline. I hope we do get Diane telling Cole about what happened that night. I am assuming she and Dale had sex prior to him leaving for Twin Peaks. We finally got Dale for a few seconds as he stopped Spike from killing him. I am still not sure if Dale is back to being Dale as he didn't say much during the interview. Harry should be told what is going on. Not liking the idea that Evil Coop may have impregnated Audrey.
yaxomoxay
Great Northern Member

Post by yaxomoxay »

cowwithfivelegs wrote:
Mairzy wrote:
yaxomoxay wrote:Ok - Can ANYONE figure out what Dougie says while Jennie-E is talking right before the shooting? She says "Sonny Jim" and he says something as the loud sound begins. I cranked my headphones up and I can hear him saying something, I hear his voice but I can't understand what he says. Anyone?

I feel it's another YREV moment.

I saw that but I couldn't hear him say anything after a rewind or two. He is mouthing something randomly.
"Jack... pots."
I thought that too, but it doesn't really look like Jack...pots. Oh well :)

WhiteLodge90
RR Diner Member
Location: You're on the path. you don't need to know where it leads. just follow.

Post by WhiteLodge90 »

I can't get over the humming or ringing noise in the great northern. I'm far too un-technological to loop these but the sound references I've heard people mention thus far don't match up.

Here's the one I heard was similar but it sounds too high pitched to be a match

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfou9cw ... tu.be&t=19

Or this one skip to 3:00 mins in

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=guwl1w0yFGk

This one sounds different as well.

I can't find the clip of the audio from last nights episode online but I wish someone could compare the three of them looped up or something.
The milk will get cool on you pretty soon.
Gabriel
Great Northern Member

Post by Gabriel »

Given the time-hopping shenanigans, anyone wonder whether the head Caroline Earle had in her hands in MLMT was that of Garland Briggs? ;)
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

Part 7 - There's a body all right (SPOILERS)

Post by Agent Sam Stanley »

Great episode. I'm gonna miss Ike the Spike dearly lol.

Diane and Bad Cooper's encounter was chilling. Reminded me of Clarice and Hannibal's first talk in Silence of the Lambs.
I wonder if whatever happened between them turned a sweet secretary into the cynic, enraged, alcoholic woman we're seeing now. Poor Diane.

It seems odd that Bad Cooper would go track Audrey instead of Annie since they were both in the hospital in comatose condition. Especially since Annie was the first name he asked for after he woke up in our world.
Could be that he was looking for Annie, found Audrey first and decided to mess with the girl who had a thing for the real Cooper. I hope the script will return to that to elaborate more.

I love the idea that Josie might be haunting the walls of the Great Northern. Hopefully they'll develop this too.
Last edited by Agent Sam Stanley on Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

lotjx2 wrote:I just got done with it. Really good solid episode. One of my favorites, so far. I liked how we didn't away too much at the beginning with the Diane storyline. I hope we do get Diane telling Cole about what happened that night. I am assuming she and Dale had sex prior to him leaving for Twin Peaks. We finally got Dale for a few seconds as he stopped Spike from killing him. I am still not sure if Dale is back to being Dale as he didn't say much during the interview. Harry should be told what is going on. Not liking the idea that Evil Coop may have impregnated Audrey.
My take is he has Dale's instincts and intuition. He is missing most of Dale's conscious mind and memory, but that looks like it is slowly coming back.

There is actually some basis for this in science. I read a book a few years called The Power of Habit, and it recounted the tale of a man who had virtually no memory and could not describe how to get from point A to B in his daily walking routine, but his subconscious mind could steer him along the path every time.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Mairzy
Roadhouse Member

Post by Mairzy »

I do hope that the doppelganger didn't attack Audrey in hospital. It is plausible he went to retrieve the ring from the nurse, who was tending to Audrey, or in her vicinity at the time.
Shloogorgh
RR Diner Member

Post by Shloogorgh »

Ragnell wrote:And I think, in Ep 29, when he got to the Lodge it became apparent. He blended her with Caroline. He reexperienced his pain at losing Caroline when he entered the Lodge, very little of that vision used experiences with Annie. Overall, it seemed like the experience with Caroline completely eclipsed his experiences with Annie.
I got the impression that the visions of Annie and Caroline were specifically engineered by Windom Earle to press Cooper's buttons, which is why we see flashes of his grinning face. Earle managed to get some manner of power in the lodge, only to have it wrested from him by BOB immediately.
Esselgee
RR Diner Member

Post by Esselgee »

Doesn't the headless body seem too large to be Major Briggs? The body seems a quite bit more obese than he ever was on the show.

I think we could determine if Richard Horne was the son of JJW if we had a photo of Richard Horne wearing a certain sweater. Does such an image exist anywhere?
Hockey Mask
RR Diner Member

Post by Hockey Mask »

What was the point of the way the "pulling hand-meat off the gun" scene was shot? It was darkened except in the center of the screen. Almost like a telescope POV shot.
yaxomoxay
Great Northern Member

Post by yaxomoxay »

mtwentz wrote:
lotjx2 wrote:I just got done with it. Really good solid episode. One of my favorites, so far. I liked how we didn't away too much at the beginning with the Diane storyline. I hope we do get Diane telling Cole about what happened that night. I am assuming she and Dale had sex prior to him leaving for Twin Peaks. We finally got Dale for a few seconds as he stopped Spike from killing him. I am still not sure if Dale is back to being Dale as he didn't say much during the interview. Harry should be told what is going on. Not liking the idea that Evil Coop may have impregnated Audrey.
My take is he has Dale's instincts and intuition. He is missing most of Dale's conscious mind and memory, but that looks like it is slowly coming back.

There is actually some basis for this in science. I read a book a few years called The Power of Habit, and it recounted the tale of a man who had virtually no memory and could not describe how to get from point A to B in his daily walking routine, but his subconscious mind could steer him along the path every time.
That is a FANTASTIC book; everyone should read it.
Gabriel
Great Northern Member

Post by Gabriel »

yaxomoxay wrote:
That is a FANTASTIC book; everyone should read it.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Power-Habit-Wh ... r+of+habit

This one? Added to my list.