Part 7 - There's a body all right (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

james.mooney.

Re: Part 7 - There's a body all right (SPOILERS)

Post by james.mooney. »

I think it is possible that Riley Lynch played two separate and unrelated characters: the guitarist in the roadhouse band, and "Bing."

Is it possible that the man who Andy interviewed and agreed to meet later was Riley Lynch in a wig and fake beard as "Bing"?

Richard realized that Bing was going to talk to the police and killed him, leaving his front door open?

Later, a friend of Bing's can't find him and rushes into the RR frantically searching for him?

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

EDIT: Thank you to those who pointed out that the actor who played the man who Andy interviewed about his truck was not Riley Lynch as Bing but in fact Ted Dowling credited as "Farmer."

I still bet that Dicky Horne killed him, though.
Last edited by james.mooney. on Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
ThumbsUp
RR Diner Member

Post by ThumbsUp »

Ragnell wrote:My money for Annie is on returned to the convent, I wouldn't object to seeing her again. However... I never bought her as Cooper's second great love. He was definitely in love, and experiencing an emotional reawkening with her but I didn't see her as the sort of person he would end up with. She was too sweet, too innocent, too much of a feminine mirror for him. And I think, in Ep 29, when he got to the Lodge it became apparent. He blended her with Caroline. He reexperienced his pain at losing Caroline when he entered the Lodge, very little of that vision used experiences with Annie. Overall, it seemed like the experience with Caroline completely eclipsed his experiences with Annie.
Agreed, and I'm sure Lynch/Frost and much of the fandom do too, which is why I doubt Annie will reappear. They had to kind of scramble last minute after the planned Audrey romance was ixnayed and they had to gin up a new love interest and shoehorn her into the Lodge rescue.

That being said, I do also think it would be unrealistic of Hawk and Truman to not try and track Annie down, if she's alive...
Denise's Pieces
Roadhouse Member

Post by Denise's Pieces »

james.mooney. wrote:I think it is possible that Riley Lynch played two separate and unrelated characters: the guitarist in the roadhouse band, and "Bing."

Is it possible that the man who Andy interviewed and agreed to meet later was Riley Lynch in a wig and fake beard as "Bing"?

Richard realized that Bing was going to talk to the police and killed him, leaving his front door open?

Later, a friend of Bing's can't find him and rushes into the RR frantically searching for him?

My thought is that anyone running up and down the street yelling for Bing is high on some Chinese designer drugs.
Wonderful & Strange
Great Northern Member

Post by Wonderful & Strange »

I think one of the challenges for some fans is that the structure of the show isn't anything they've experienced before. They keep expecting it to be structured with the pacing and highs and lows of a regular TV show when it's structured much more like a long novel. In literary novels in general, especially long ones, you have the time to slow the pacing down and explore character, themes, and moods. The average fan expects quick pacing to lead from one plot thread to another; what The Return does is use pacing to explore other things than mere plot (considered in literature to be the most shallow, uninteresting aspect of story -- for example, it's the most popular element in trashy genre fiction). Part 7 is very conventional in this sense because it mainly focuses on the latter, and it shows the audience how the structure of The Return is going to work -- it's going to treat all aspects of story as it likes, but it will also eventually give you your conventional genre treat (fast food) and when it does this the pacing will be more brisk. I would argue that 7 packs more emotional and thematic depth because of all the patient, detailed work that has come before to set it up.

What's unfortunate for the show is how some of its fanbase assumes that the one kind of narrative structure they're most used to is somehow "correct" and not merely something familiar to them. But Lynch and Frost aren't merely innovative in terms of content but form too. The show would benefit from fans having as open a mind about form as they do content. They ought to stop expecting parts of a movie/long visual novel to function like normal TV episodes.

Lynch and Frost are pulling off something truly epic. I think the closest thing to it would be some of Fassbender's German TV work.
Last edited by Wonderful & Strange on Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Member of the Agent Tammy Preston Defense Lodge
james.mooney.

Post by james.mooney. »

re: Richard and Linda, two birds with one stone...

If Coopleganger "visited" Audrey (impregnating her with Richard) and Diane (implied sexual assault), wouldn't he have gone to see Annie as well?

Perhaps Linda is the daughter of Annie and Dopplecooper.

This does not mean that Annie will necessarily appear. Annie could have died or disappeared anytime in the following 25 years. Her story could eventually be pieced together by talking to Norma and Linda.

So if Coopleganger visited not only Major Briggs, Audrey, and Diane, why wouldn't he have visited Annie as well? And if he did, how's Annie?

TwinsPeak
RR Diner Member

Post by TwinsPeak »

BEARisonFord wrote:
mtwentz wrote:
I'll go even further- I don't care if Annie was a plot device or not. We are made to believe that Annie is Coop's second great love, after Caroline and that he was willing to sacrifice his soul for her. .
Well that literally has everything to do with her being a plot device: Raise the personal stakes high enough for Coop to feel compelled to neglect his better judgement and get him into the Lodge. They chose to use Annie for that purpose.

Anyway, I think i've sufficiently drilled this into the ground so like I said above, we'll see what happens!
I completely agree that just saying Annie was just a plot device is wrong. Just because you believe that to be true doesnt mean she wasn't important to the story and especially the lodges....She was in Lodge, and had the ring. She was in Laura's dream and is now in the diary. She is a hugely important piece to the puzzle. Also she is part of probably the most famous line of the entire show "How's Annie?"
"Wanting something to be different will not make it so." "Explaining a different rule is not complaining for months. A lie will never be true." - Dale Cooper: My Life, My Tapes.
TwinsPeak
RR Diner Member

Post by TwinsPeak »

TwinsPeak wrote:
BEARisonFord wrote:
mtwentz wrote:
I'll go even further- I don't care if Annie was a plot device or not. We are made to believe that Annie is Coop's second great love, after Caroline and that he was willing to sacrifice his soul for her. .
Well that literally has everything to do with her being a plot device: Raise the personal stakes high enough for Coop to feel compelled to neglect his better judgement and get him into the Lodge. They chose to use Annie for that purpose.

Anyway, I think i've sufficiently drilled this into the ground so like I said above, we'll see what happens!
I completely agree that just saying Annie was just a plot device is wrong. Just because you believe that to be true doesnt mean she wasn't important to the story and especially the lodges....She was in Lodge, and had the ring. She was in Laura's dream and is now in the diary. She is a hugely important piece to the puzzle. Also she is part of probably the most famous line of the entire show "How's Annie?"
It's almost like saying Laura Palmer isnt important she was just a plot device to get Dale Cooper to Twin Peaks.
"Wanting something to be different will not make it so." "Explaining a different rule is not complaining for months. A lie will never be true." - Dale Cooper: My Life, My Tapes.
yaxomoxay
Great Northern Member

Post by yaxomoxay »

Gabriel wrote:
yaxomoxay wrote:
That is a FANTASTIC book; everyone should read it.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Power-Habit-Wh ... r+of+habit

This one? Added to my list.
Yep!
You won't regret it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Robin Davies
Roadhouse Member

Post by Robin Davies »

asquideatingdough wrote:I loved Gordon's whistling. Was he whistling something from the Wizard of Oz? Sounded strangely familiar.
It sounds to me like the first part of Nino Rota's classic theme from Fellini's Amarcord. Lynch is known to be a Fellini fan. Amarcord means "I remember" and, as Cole couldn't get the end bit right, he was effectively trying to remember "I remember"!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=us3Kgy52XAg
Robin Davies
Roadhouse Member

Post by Robin Davies »

Esselgee wrote:Why is Diane so pissed at the FBI? Was it DoppelCoop that she met with at her house? Wouldn't she have been able to tell it wasn't really him at that point?
I was wondering the same. Does anyone have answers?
Firewalkwithme91
Roadhouse Member

Post by Firewalkwithme91 »

Robin Davies wrote:
asquideatingdough wrote:I loved Gordon's whistling. Was he whistling something from the Wizard of Oz? Sounded strangely familiar.
It sounds to me like the first part of Nino Rota's classic theme from Fellini's Amarcord. Lynch is known to be a Fellini fan. Amarcord means "I remember" and, as Cole couldn't get the end bit right, he was effectively trying to remember "I remember"!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=us3Kgy52XAg
It sounds like "Engel" from Rammstein. :mrgreen:
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

OneEyedJack wrote:
Agent327 wrote:I just find myself in the middle of those two positions; liking the show, being into the story, but seeing room for improvement in various places. And a big mistake like that one takes me right out of it, makes the world it's trying to create much less credible, and I'm surprised that no one watched the show to look for continuity /factual errors on a high profile show like this.
You could ask 10 people here to repeat that line and I'm sure some would paraphrase it or get it wrong. Don't get hung up on that! It's trivial and he gets the point across.

With that in mind, Frost when promoting his book said people botch stories all the time and that's how history is altered (I paraphrased hahaha). It's what we do as humans. Let's say that Today the sky is blue for all of us. I could ask one of us if it's a nice day and someone will go "It is, but too sunny, etc" and so on. No one will have the same answer.

So if anything I wrote makes sense: What if Hawk's analysis of how the pages got into the bathroom was wrong after trying to recall 25 years? That's realistic to me.
Exactly, that's what I was going to say. Human error. Same basic idea, making it even easier to get confused.
sherbertmachine

Post by sherbertmachine »

Anyone else notice the windows on the airplane seemingly lighting up in a random fashion when they did the outside shot of the plane?

Or am I noticing a camera quirk and shouldn't try to decipher it? :D
OrsonWelles
Roadhouse Member

Post by OrsonWelles »

Really liked this episode. Felt like a lot more happened.

- Diane is quite different than expected, though it's implied she has changed due to events in the past. I'm also thinking that BadCooper raped her.
- Really starting to like Janey-E and thought it was wonderful that Cooper took out the little killer through his instinct. Also like the idea that this means he'll be on national television. Imagine the people in Twin Peaks/FBI seeing that. HAd a feeling it was the arm's doppelganger, though why would he be helping non-existent Coop?
- The floating burnt man certainly becomes even more enigmatic.
- They still haven't redeemed Tammy IMHO
- Renaults will remain scumbags
- The sweeping man is a methapor. The show is gently sweeping the pieces of the puzzle :wink:
- Beverly sure has potential as a character.
- Andy seemingly stopped being a bit of a dimwit.
lotjx2
Roadhouse Member

Post by lotjx2 »

I don't think Evil Cooper meet Diane. She seemed to know right away its not him. I am just wondering when someone in the Twin Peaks office is going to call the FBI. I get that the military is right there in Buckhorn, but you would think after reading the letters new Sheriff Truman would put a call in.