Part 7 - There's a body all right (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Re: Part 7 - There's a body all right (SPOILERS)

Post by LateReg »

Ross wrote:
thedarktrees wrote:I think we might keep in mind that not everyone in the town would have known about Coop and Annie. I don’t think it’s weird that Hawk and Frank didn’t really say much about her when her name comes up in the missing pages.
I agree Hawk may not have know Cooper was dating Annie. Although it does seem like Harry would have mentioned this. BUT- not mentioning she is Norma's sister is very weird.

Also strange that no one ever looked in Cooper leaving before this. If they had, they would have talked to Annie and know that Cooper met with Briggs. Maybe at the time they thought he just left?
I guess I just chalk it up to it being 25 years later, and Hawk probably hasn't thought about Annie in a very long time. I didn't think any extra exposition was needed, and he very well may have forgotten exactly who she was.
Shloogorgh
RR Diner Member

Post by Shloogorgh »

chromereflectsimage wrote:I wonder why Dr Hayward would assume Cooper was visiting Audrey the ICU instead of Annie? Annie was also in the hospital at the time as seen in FWWM.
I thought that simply meant that by the time Cooper was in the hospital, Annie had been discharged. As long as she snapped out of that hypnotic state, there'd be no reason to keep her there. Do we know why she came out of the lodge covered in blood?
Ragnell
RR Diner Member

Post by Ragnell »

Ross wrote:
thedarktrees wrote:I think we might keep in mind that not everyone in the town would have known about Coop and Annie. I don’t think it’s weird that Hawk and Frank didn’t really say much about her when her name comes up in the missing pages.
I agree Hawk may not have know Cooper was dating Annie. Although it does seem like Harry would have mentioned this. BUT- not mentioning she is Norma's sister is very weird.

Also strange that no one ever looked in Cooper leaving before this. If they had, they would have talked to Annie and know that Cooper met with Briggs. Maybe at the time they thought he just left?
Maybe they don't know these details because when Cooper disappeared Gordon sent Albert to investigate. Albert would likely have only worked with Harry if anyone local at all, and they would've been the ones who talked to Hayward, talked to Annie, talked to Betty, looked into the station fire...etc... In this case, just about all the notes and files on Cooper's disappearance would go with the FBI. In that case, the only person who'd know this stuff would be Harry who might've been too hurt by the whole mess to go into it.
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

LateReg wrote:
Ross wrote:

I guess I just chalk it up to it being 25 years later, and Hawk probably hasn't thought about Annie in a very long time. I didn't think any extra exposition was needed, and he very well may have forgotten exactly who she was.
I don't know, they all seem to know Norma pretty well...
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
guildnavigator
RR Diner Member

Post by guildnavigator »

Riley Lynch's line at the end seemed improvised.

Notice he leaves the diner from the back left side of the screen later during the credit sequence.

(I believe there's a door on the back side of the diner towards that corner, also.)
boske
Great Northern Member

Post by boske »

LateReg wrote:
boske wrote:Just rewatched it the first time, noticed one small thing: when DoppleCoop greets Ray in the prison corridor, just as they are about the leave, the greeting is pretty much identical to the one when Leland's doppleganger greets Cooper doppleganger in the lodge in episode 29.
Yes, it looked exactly like that to me, and the way Bad Coop followed him looked exactly the same, too.
Exactly. So Ray could be some sort of a lodge entity as well. We have not seen Buella and her place since the first part, and the very moment I saw that place it looked like a lodge access point to me. We'll see, but I do not think this greeting was coincidental. So if Ray is a lodge denizen, that makes it intriguing as to why he wanted to get arrested.
Hockey Mask
RR Diner Member

Post by Hockey Mask »

I hope every bad guy isn't a lodge entity. Just not necessary.
Last edited by Hockey Mask on Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yaxomoxay
Great Northern Member

Part 7 - There's a body all right (SPOILERS)

Post by yaxomoxay »

Normonaut wrote: Andy should have checked his trailer (he was clearly looking towards it nervously) or at least brought the dude in.
He clearly had no warrant to check the trailer and probably he felt he had no reasonable suspicion to arrest him. By the scene it looks like he just stumbled upon him, and I bet that Andy was looking for a bigger fish to fry.
Andy clearly made a mistake in believing the dude.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Last edited by yaxomoxay on Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zachary
Roadhouse Member

Post by Zachary »

Normonaut wrote:Loved the episode, but I really don't understand how people see Andy as a good cop.
He had a potential suspect right in front of him, a very nervous suspect, I might add. But he chose to let him go to meet him later. That's extremely sloppy.
I've worked in hotels, and whenever someone would say "can I pay tomorrow? That's when I get my paycheck" alarm bells ring loud. People who are allowed to do that always run away from the bill.
It's not the same situation, but damn near it. Andy should have checked his trailer (he was clearly looking towards it nervously) or at least brought the dude in.
Not complaining tho, it kinda fits the character.
I agree with this 100%, especially with it being in character. He's investigating the hit-and-run death of a little boy, the guy who owns the truck is acting extremely weird and is desperately trying to get the police to leave, and Andy he agrees to meet up with him somewhere else 2 hours later. I don't know why an arrest wouldn't have been made right there. But that's Andy.
HagbardCeline
RR Diner Member

Post by HagbardCeline »

Zachary wrote:
Normonaut wrote:Loved the episode, but I really don't understand how people see Andy as a good cop.
He had a potential suspect right in front of him, a very nervous suspect, I might add. But he chose to let him go to meet him later. That's extremely sloppy.
I've worked in hotels, and whenever someone would say "can I pay tomorrow? That's when I get my paycheck" alarm bells ring loud. People who are allowed to do that always run away from the bill.
It's not the same situation, but damn near it. Andy should have checked his trailer (he was clearly looking towards it nervously) or at least brought the dude in.
I agree with this 100%, especially with it being in character. He's investigating the hit-and-run death of a little boy, the guy who owns the truck is acting extremely weird and is desperately trying to get the police to leave, and Andy he agrees to meet up with him somewhere else 2 hours later. I don't know why an arrest wouldn't have been made right there. But that's Andy.
Andy is pretty firmly established as a softy when it comes to this sort of thing. He took the nervous guy at face value. Just wonde4ring why he only waited until 4:05pm. Did he suddenly figure out at that time that the guy was probably lying?
Nighthawk
RR Diner Member

Post by Nighthawk »

I thought the episode was terrific. It finally moved various plot lines along without unnecessary delaying of gratification that is notorious in soap operas. There is so much stuff still to be explored and resolved. The show had to kick into a higher gear and it finally did.

I loved the creepy appearance of the lodge woodsman (presumably) in the morgue scene. Cooper dispatching Ike and the appearance of the arm outside of the lodge. That was unexpected. I suppose there is already a precedent of Cooper being in some contact with the black lodge given that he could earlier see and hear the one armed man calling out to him.

I found Diane's character a little bit over the top. Why is she so angry at virtually everyone? Her history with bad coop likely contributed to her distrustful a
yaxomoxay
Great Northern Member

Post by yaxomoxay »

Nighthawk wrote:. Why is she so angry at virtually everyone? Her history with bad coop likely contributed to her distrustful a
I have the feeling that she was raped by badCooper, told Gordon and he didn't believe her due to his friendship with Coop.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Denise's Pieces
Roadhouse Member

Post by Denise's Pieces »

HagbardCeline wrote:
Zachary wrote:
Andy is pretty firmly established as a softy when it comes to this sort of thing. He took the nervous guy at face value. Just wonde4ring why he only waited until 4:05pm. Did he suddenly figure out at that time that the guy was probably lying?
It was 5:05.
I think it's just small-town thinking. You know everyone, you know where they live. If they don't show up, Andy knows he'll be able to grab him later.
Normonaut
Roadhouse Member

Re: RE: Re: Part 7 - There's a body all right (SPOILERS)

Post by Normonaut »

Denise's Pieces wrote:
HagbardCeline wrote:
Zachary wrote: I agree with this 100%, especially with it being in character. He's investigating the hit-and-run death of a little boy, the guy who owns the truck is acting extremely weird and is desperately trying to get the police to leave, and Andy he agrees to meet up with him somewhere else 2 hours later. I don't know why an arrest wouldn't have been made right there. But that's Andy.
I think it's just small-town thinking. You know everyone, you know where they live. If they don't show up, Andy knows he'll be able to grab him later.
In other words, a bad cop. You can't just expect a potential suspect to come to you, especially after the guy's behavior.
The fact that he waited for over half an hour kinda confirms how naive he is (as if we needed that confirmation Image )
Agent Cooper. Listen to the sounds.
It is in our house now. It all can not be said aloud now.
Remember 4 - 3 - 0
Richard and Linda. Two birds with one stone.
You are far away.
Denise's Pieces
Roadhouse Member

Re: RE: Re: Part 7 - There's a body all right (SPOILERS)

Post by Denise's Pieces »

Normonaut wrote:
Denise's Pieces wrote:
HagbardCeline wrote:
In other words, a bad cop. You can't just expect a potential suspect to come to you, especially after the guy's behavior.
The fact that he waited for over half an hour kinda confirms how naive he is (as if we needed that confirmation Image )
I certainly don't condone that type of behavior. I'd have that guy in the back of the squad car screaming "Police brutality!!"