Part 7 - There's a body all right (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

LiAnn
Roadhouse Member

Re: Part 7 - There's a body all right (SPOILERS)

Post by LiAnn »

Did anyone else think the guy Heidi was talking to during the end credits looked a lot like Bobby?
G42.2
Roadhouse Member

Post by G42.2 »

LiAnn wrote:Did anyone else think the guy Heidi was talking to during the end credits looked a lot like Bobby?
Yeah I totally assumed that upon my first watch too! Second watch made me realize it wasn't him which was a slight bummer aha! But the subtle ominous Badalementi music rising up over 'sleepwalker' during the end credits more than made up for that!
Normonaut
Roadhouse Member

Re: RE: Re: Part 7 - There's a body all right (SPOILERS)

Post by Normonaut »

Agent327 wrote:
Coffee wrote:
I thought that the line was intentionally different... like it's a ten word "code" phrase that deep cover agents use when they come back in. Except that DopelCoop got it wrong... very wrong!
Interesting theory. But a couple of things makes that theory a bit more unlikely than it being a mistake on Lynch's part.

If deep cover agents need to say that exact code phrase verbatim, what is the use of pointing out the importance of the positioning of a specific word within that sentence? That sort of decoding would only make sense in a free form format.

In addition, if they required an exact phrase used verbatim, and Bad Coop had gotten that wrong, it would have been HUGE, a complete non-starter, and surely it would have been a talking point between Cole and Albert in the aftermath, which we witness. Instead their suspicion of Coop was only based on gut feeling as we saw.
They did talk about it though.
"I don't think he greeted me properly."
"I don't think he did." (Or was it "No he did not."?)
Agent Cooper. Listen to the sounds.
It is in our house now. It all can not be said aloud now.
Remember 4 - 3 - 0
Richard and Linda. Two birds with one stone.
You are far away.
djsunyc
RR Diner Member

Post by djsunyc »

i'm doing a re-watch now. just random thoughts:

- ben horne looks just like david letterman in that first scene on the phone with jerry.

- i think if i actually see harry on the screen reuniting with cooper, i may get a little emotional lol.

- doc hayward said that "cooper turned to him and saw that strange face again" - what face was he referring to?

- the burned woodsman walking down the hallway from a distance was some super directing

- when albert was talking on the plane and mentioned cooper was in a house in rio w/ a girl from ipanema, diane showed some visible pain - a pain someone would should when they love someone else and they are in another relationship

- after the convo with diane and dopplecoop - i no longer think it's rape. i think he came over, seduced her, something she wanted and then treated her like crap and left. i don't think the scene plays out like that if it was rape.

- i'm 100% convinced mr. strawberry is the warden's dog

- i'm still amazed everybody is ok with dougie acting the way he is

- why did the other cop say they could fill out the forms at their convenience? he went out of his way to make it easy for them.

- ben horne is still wearing a wedding ring

- dopplecoops voice only goes low when he's talking through the intercom and phone - but not face to face.
Normonaut
Roadhouse Member

Post by Normonaut »

djsunyc wrote: - why did the other cop say they could fill out the forms at their convenience? he went out of his way to make it easy for them.
Because he knew that if they dragged it out any longer, Janey-E would have shanked them all. Image
Agent Cooper. Listen to the sounds.
It is in our house now. It all can not be said aloud now.
Remember 4 - 3 - 0
Richard and Linda. Two birds with one stone.
You are far away.
Agent327
Roadhouse Member

Post by Agent327 »

Normonaut wrote: They did talk about it though.
"I don't think he greeted me properly."
"I don't think he did." (Or was it "No he did not."?)
You may have a point, although I took that as meaning his thumbs up greeting which is the very first thing Bad Coop does to actually greet Gordon Cole.

"I don't think he greeted me properly, if you take my meaning." is the exact quote.

As a response to that awkward failed imitation of Cooper's classic mannerism, we see Cole, showing immediate concern.

If Cole was talking about Bad Coop flat out getting a required sentence wrong, one should certainly hope that he would be more certain than just think that maybe he didn't greet him like expected. It should be evident right away that he broke protocol on the very first thing they would be looking for in that situation.

Furthermore, it makes no sense that Cole would not use Bad Coop's sentence, when explaining to Tammy which finger Bad Coop's "Yrev" corresponds to.
Why would he be mixing sentences, using Bad Coop's 'yrev' in what then becomes a random place in a sentence he did not actually say, to prove a point about that word's position?
Last edited by Agent327 on Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DeepBlueSeed
RR Diner Member

Post by DeepBlueSeed »

yaxomoxay wrote:
Nighthawk wrote:. Why is she so angry at virtually everyone? Her history with bad coop likely contributed to her distrustful a
I have the feeling that she was raped by badCooper, told Gordon and he didn't believe her due to his friendship with Coop.
I agree that I would be a result of events that happened when she last met Cooper, but I wouldn't be surprised if she told no-one, because she didn't feel he could trust anyone she previously trusted (or that anyone would believe Cooper would do such a thing). 25 years of keeping that secret to herself, drowning it out with alcohol and, potentially, a string of meaningless relationships, would be a great reason to grow resentful and bitter of her previous employers and work colleagues.

This may also be why, once she learns he is in prison and that they're suspicious of him, that she agrees to go with them. I think that also, once she overhears the discussion on the plane and considers that 'Cooper' is not who is seems, and realises that those 25 years of bottling up her hatred of a man she once admired are now revealed to be based on a lie, she finally feels able to break down and face that trauma with Cole, knowing that he is already suspicious of this imposter. I think, up until this point, the anger has been one of several methods she has used to stop people she once trusted getting too close.
"The stories that I wanna tell you about... "
SpookySculder
Roadhouse Member

Post by SpookySculder »

I can only speak for myself, but personally its not about the pacing. I've been enjoying the show immensely but somewhere between eps 5-6 I began getting a bit frustrated and antsy because we didn't see much of the town or the original characters. I knew from the first ep that much of the story would take place away from "home" , but I think I assumed it would be a bit more balanced between TP and the outside world during these initial eps . It just started to feel a bit torturous as the episodes went on like we were being teased with small peeks of our characters and town. But ep 7 was like a breath of fresh air and relieved some of my restlessness . Seeing more of TP, hearing Angelo's music, that familiarity, just felt reassuring that things are beginning to get Twin Peakish. It's quite honestly been an emotional ride so far and I'm loving every second of it. This is the best thing that's happened to TV in 20 years.

Wonderful & Strange wrote:I think one of the challenges for some fans is that the structure of the show isn't anything they've experienced before. They keep expecting it to be structured with the pacing and highs and lows of a regular TV show when it's structured much more like a long novel. In literary novels in general, especially long ones, you have the time to slow the pacing down and explore character, themes, and moods. The average fan expects quick pacing to lead from one plot thread to another; what The Return does is use pacing to explore other things than mere plot (considered in literature to be the most shallow, uninteresting aspect of story -- for example, it's the most popular element in trashy genre fiction). Part 7 is very conventional in this sense because it mainly focuses on the latter, and it shows the audience how the structure of The Return is going to work -- it's going to treat all aspects of story as it likes, but it will also eventually give you your conventional genre treat (fast food) and when it does this the pacing will be more brisk. I would argue that 7 packs more emotional and thematic depth because of all the patient, detailed work that has come before to set it up.

What's unfortunate for the show is how some of its fanbase assumes that the one kind of narrative structure they're most used to is somehow "correct" and not merely something familiar to them. But Lynch and Frost aren't merely innovative in terms of content but form too. The show would benefit from fans having as open a mind about form as they do content. They ought to stop expecting parts of a movie/long visual novel to function like normal TV episodes.

Lynch and Frost are pulling off something truly epic. I think the closest thing to it would be some of Fassbender's German TV work.
sylviecerise
Roadhouse Member

Post by sylviecerise »

thedougpa wrote:Didn't someone, around the time of the first episode leak (or maybe a different leak), post a picture of a "Twin Peaks" thumbnail from an On Demand service that looked remarkably like the pavilion of this house? Can anyone dig that out?

I remember this too. Someone even located what building it was.
DeepBlueSeed
RR Diner Member

Post by DeepBlueSeed »

I don't know if this is a theory that has surfaced anywhere previously, but it's been one that has been bugging me since the end of episode 6.

If BOB/Leland took the pages from the diary prior to Laura's death, wouldn't he have known about 'the good Dale' and Annie being in the Lodge before they ever set foot in Twin Peaks? In part I'm curious as to why BOB would feel the need to remove those pages, but not to destroy them. Was he holding on to them until such time as a Dale and Annie entered the scene, at which point he might be able to make sense of the diary pages, with the vague understanding that for a good Dale to be stuck in the Lodge, a bad doppelganger would have somehow found it's way into the real world? Is the current season, and Bad Coop's activities, boil down to plans BOB came up with before Laura was even dead?

With this in mind then I have a second question, which might also tie into any future appearances of Annie. When Laura dreams of Annie telling her that the good Dale is in the Lodge is it a warning or clue from a good Annie, to suggest that there's a bad Dale in the world, or is it a message from a bad Annie to plant the idea in BOB's mind that it's possible to spring a bad Dale into the world?
"The stories that I wanna tell you about... "
sylviecerise
Roadhouse Member

Post by sylviecerise »

Dug it up, Jerry posted this picture. This looks like a different building.

I also remember something from the spoilers thread maybe last year about filming at a really similar building that definitely had a pool.
Attachments
IMG_1643.PNG
IMG_1643.PNG (715.82 KiB) Viewed 10009 times
jason976

Post by jason976 »

thedarktrees wrote:i’ll echo most: great episode. I’ve liked the whole series so far, but this episode really turned things up a lot. lots of intrigue.

-what’s this tension between albert and gordon, where albert makes him say “please”? he just finds gordon too unreasonably demanding? or might there be some backstory?

-I think this stuff about DoppelCoop visiting Audrey in the hospital isn’t really a given yet. Doc Hayward simply says he THINKS Cooper was trying to visit Audrey, not even that he actually saw Cooper anywhere near her. I think this comment might have just been a way of getting Audrey mentioned and that’s it.

-with Frank and Hawk reconstructing the Cooper’s disappearance, they seemed to have forgotten about Bobby Briggs’ comments about Coop visiting Briggs just before he "died"

-on Briggs: clearly he didn’t die in the fire the way everyone was made to think. So did he stage his own death to disappear somewhere? Did he wind up in the White Lodge or Black Lodge in some kind of stasis for 25 years? His involvement with the Coop/Dougie swap has to have something to do with this too.

-on hiding: I think it’s entirely possible that Annie has been in hiding for the last 25 years. If she got out of the lodge and has any memory of what the hell happened there, I think she might just want to get away. If she has any indication that Cooper isn’t Cooper anymore, maybe she has been in hiding from him. Or maybe someone has been protecting her.

I think we might keep in mind that not everyone in the town would have known about Coop and Annie. I don’t think it’s weird that Hawk and Frank didn’t really say much about her when her name comes up in the missing pages.

All that said: I think a Heather Graham cameo is entirely possible. I still think a Harry Truman cameo is also even slightly possible. Maybe Harry has been in the shadows searching for Coop all these years...
On Audrey, agree. It's just Doc guessing because he has no other explanation so it means nothing at this point. I maintain that EvilCoop was looking for the owl cave ring that the nurse took from Annie. That would be somethimg he'd need for his Dougie plan. We shall see.
Mairzy
Roadhouse Member

Post by Mairzy »

sylviecerise wrote:
thedougpa wrote:Didn't someone, around the time of the first episode leak (or maybe a different leak), post a picture of a "Twin Peaks" thumbnail from an On Demand service that looked remarkably like the pavilion of this house? Can anyone dig that out?

I remember this too. Someone even located what building it was.
Read this elsewhere. Al Capone's former residence...?

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/arts-cult ... 180955363/
ThumbsUp
RR Diner Member

Post by ThumbsUp »

Janey-E has totally grown on me by the way.
Agent327
Roadhouse Member

Post by Agent327 »

ThumbsUp wrote:Janey-E has totally grown on me by the way.
I always liked her, but in the last two episodes especially she has been great. I wonder how she would change, personality wise, if she was with a guy who wasn't busy gambling and cheating on her by banging Jades.

What I'm getting at is:
Since Cooper's 25 years in the lodge prevented him from starting a family, or having a relationship, and since Janey-E lost her Dougie to the lodge, I wonder if Cooper will eventually end up hooking up with her, joining their family even after he stops drooling. The alternative is just him leaving a hole in their family unit behind.

He clearly has a good connection with the kid with an emotional reaction to boot.

On the face of it, I realize that resolution seems quite corny, but it all depends on how it's executed. I think it's a least a possibility.