Part 7 - There's a body all right (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

ThumbsUp
RR Diner Member

Re: Part 7 - There's a body all right (SPOILERS)

Post by ThumbsUp »

Agent327 wrote:
ThumbsUp wrote:Janey-E has totally grown on me by the way.
I always liked her, but in the last two episodes especially she has been great. I wonder how she would change, personality wise, if she was with a guy who wasn't busy gambling and cheating on her by banging Jades.

What I'm getting at is:
Since Cooper's 25 years in the lodge prevented him from starting a family, or having a relationship, and since Janey-E lost her Dougie to the lodge, I wonder if Cooper will eventually end up hooking up with her, joining their family even after he stops drooling. The alternative is just him leaving a hole in their family unit behind.

He clearly has a good connection with the kid with an emotional reaction to boot.

On the face of it, I realize that resolution seems quite corny, but it all depends on how it's executed. I think it's a least a possibility.
That'd be interesting. Like Ragnell said earlier in the thread, I'm very interested in seeing how she and Coop would interact with each other as equals after he wakes up. But I kind of fear Coop will just be like "okay bye" and immediately leave to do what he has to do.
Agent327
Roadhouse Member

Post by Agent327 »

ThumbsUp wrote: But I kind of fear Coop will just be like "okay bye" and immediately leave to do what he has to do.
Well, that would be hard to pull off without a very awkward tilt to it.

Coop has always been a gentleman, and he has been living as a 'guest' in their house, under their care. Everything had to be done for him. On top of that, she has been standing up for him as we saw in the latest episode, despite Dougie being a relatively lousy husband.
And though not personally to blame, his circumstance is directly involved in her losing her husband, leaving a hole in the family.

How will Cooper the gentleman show his gratitude? You could say that the money he won for their household could function as a form of gift from Cooper, but that has a pretty hollow ring.

I also think there is a reason why Lynch/Frost have spent time painting her as assertive, strong, loyal, in addition to the one dimensional character we first encounter. And why they got Naomi Watts for the part, someone strong enough to carry a feature film.
At least these things hint at the writers possibly having plans for the character, and I believe Cooper *could* be part of those plans.
thedougpa
RR Diner Member

Post by thedougpa »

Agent327 wrote: I also think there is a reason why Lynch/Frost have spent time painting her as assertive, strong, loyal, in addition to the one dimensional character we first encounter. And why they got Naomi Watts for the part, someone strong enough to carry a feature film.
At least these things hint at the writers possibly having plans for the character, and I believe Cooper *could* be part of those plans.
Jones Family spin-off feature film?
Last edited by thedougpa on Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vicksvapor77
Great Northern Member

Post by vicksvapor77 »

WhiteLodge90 wrote:So far major characters who have not been mentioned or mentioned or seen (In Big Ed's case) include the following....

In the series
- Big ED
-Betty Briggs

Not in the series

- Chet Desmond
- Sam Stanley
- Catherine Martel
- Pete Martel
- Leo Johnson
- Hank Jennings
- Windom Earle
- Josie Packard ?
- Donna
- Ronnette (Actress playing different role)
Has anyone discussed Shelly's wedding ring around her neck? I was looking it up and apparently it's very common for a widower to wear their husband's ring around their neck. I think this is a subtle nod to Leo's fate. I highly doubt we'll hear his name anywhere in the new season but I do think his death will be revealed in Frost's new book.
Last edited by vicksvapor77 on Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Agent327
Roadhouse Member

Post by Agent327 »

thedougpa wrote: Jones Family spin-off feature film?
Not sure they would go THAT far :D, although I would watch it.
vicksvapor77
Great Northern Member

Post by vicksvapor77 »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:Maybe I'm missing something obvious, but why is Doc Hayward's Skype handle "MiddleburyDoc"? Is this some private Frost family thing? Minnesota reference? I'm not finding any real-world Middleburys in the vicinity of TP.
It is referring to Middlebury, Vermont, which is where Warren Frost lived at the time of his death. The use of Skype clearly indicates they shot the footage of Warren at his home because he was probably too ill to travel. :( I think it also implies they're letting the real bleed into the reel, so we can assume Doc Hayward has retired to Vermont.
Methedrome
Roadhouse Member

Post by Methedrome »

I'm gonna need a filter to get through pages upon pages of these zany rape scenarios. Sheesh.

And another one for these bizarre Salem-esque approaches to how everyone is a "lodge denizen". Double sheesh.

Anyways, some thoughts I have not yet seen here.

I thought it was very striking that there were two licensed old songs used this episode.

I can't recall Twin Peaks ever using any older licensed material aside from the new trendy hipster stuff this season.

The first song being of course "GREEN Onions", and the second being "Sleep Walk".

Both songs again playing into the themes of gold, silver and green and of course living inside a dream.

Also someone else sort of mentioned the double reference with Sleep Walk to the post Twin Peaks Madchen Amick performance in the movie Sleepwalkers which this song was largely featured.
The Grey Lodge

Post by The Grey Lodge »

My feeling is that BadCoop did NOT assault Audrey while she was in a coma. My reasoning is that BOB - and other malevolent Black Lodge spirits - feed on fear, pain and sorrow. Assaulting a comatose Audrey wouldn't torment her and produce the required Garmonbozia. Part of the joy BOB gets from terrorizing his victims is for that person to be cognitive and powerless to do anything about it. Assaulting Audrey while she's unaware wouldn't be his style.

Diane, it was heavily implied, was raped by BadCoop shattering their trust and bond forever. Like Laura before her, Diane now hates her family (FBI), seemingly herself and the closest male figure she had. She drowns out the pain with some form of drug abuse (alcoholism) and sexual vices. Being driven mad and into continuous self-harming behavior is more in line with BOBs way of doing things.
LiAnn
Roadhouse Member

Post by LiAnn »

vicksvapor77 wrote:
Has anyone discussed Shelly's wedding ring around her neck? I was looking it up and apparently it's very common for a widower to wear their husband's ring around their neck. I think this is a subtle nod to Leo's fate. I highly doubt we'll hear his name anywhere in the new season but I do think his death will be revealed in Frost's new book.
I've been wondering about that, too. After everything Leo put her through, I doubt Shelly would be mourning him, which leaves us with three options, as far as I can tell:

1. Shelly married another man -- rather hastily, I might add, judging by Becky's age (I can't imagine she's any younger than 23/24) -- and that man died, leaving her to raise their daughter alone.

2. Shelly and Bobby got married sometime after S2, and Becky is their child together. They have since divorced or separated, and that's why Shelly wears the ring around her neck. (I once knew a woman who wore her wedding and engagement ring on a chain while she and her husband were going through a rough patch.)

3. A combination of the two. Is it possible that Becky is Bobby's daughter, but Shelly married another man sometime after they broke up, and that man died?
thedougpa
RR Diner Member

Post by thedougpa »

The Grey Lodge wrote:My feeling is that BadCoop did NOT assault Audrey while she was in a coma. My reasoning is that BOB - and other malevolent Black Lodge spirits - feed on fear, pain and sorrow. Assaulting a comatose Audrey wouldn't torment her and produce the required Garmonbozia. Part of the joy BOB gets from terrorizing his victims is for that person to be cognitive and powerless to do anything about it. Assaulting Audrey while she's unaware wouldn't be his style.

Diane, it was heavily implied, was raped by BadCoop shattering their trust and bond forever. Like Laura before her, Diane now hates her family (FBI), seemingly herself and the closest male figure she had. She drowns out the pain with some form of drug abuse (alcoholism) and sexual vices. Being driven mad and into continuous self-harming behavior is more in line with BOBs way of doing things.
Yes, but we are also not aware of the degree of satisfaction BOB would find in being able to raise a permanent garmonbozia factory by having Richard in the world, much like BOB's desire to inhabit Laura was much greater than his desire to rape and kill her. And, as he has the fury of his own momentum, he tends to go off-course and find much more convoluted and dangerous ways to harvest garmonbozia, thus the entire letter-under-the-fingernail scenarios and the long-con Mr. Robertson/Child Leland backstory, which is entirely unnecessary to his garmonbozia production. He is a twisted dude.
baxter
Great Northern Member

Post by baxter »

I really like Naomi Watts in this. The thing she does with her elbows when she is walking in a determined manner amuses me, and her constant mindset of being at war is also perfect. It's clear that Dougie was a deeply flawed man, which has pushed her into this state to keep the family going.

I thought that I enjoyed last nights episode the most because it was the first one I have been able to watch at home on my big TV (bought 3 years ago specifically to watch the new Twin Peaks!!). It seems that it was just an all round pleasing episode however. Everything just seemed to click, and I think that a rewatch of the first 6 now will simply be a pleasant drive towards this destination. And my God, it looked great on the big screen.

One of my fears for the new series was that evil Cooper would be mistaken for the good one, and some sort of tragic and gory French farce would ensue (something like an X-rated episode of Frasier). Last nights episode really knocked any chance of that on the head, however. It also felt really, really like FWWM crossed with the pilot. The walk of the mysterious figure in the police station, and the slow coming into focus, was genuinely scary. I missed that it was the same figure from the jail cell (thanks all!), but it was brilliant.

I am totally obsessed with this series in a way that has not occurred since the original. Job done!
baxter
Great Northern Member

Post by baxter »

I also think that the jury is still out on the sexual assault allegations. It was my first thought with the Diane situation, but her final speech to Cole made me think that she actually spent a real night of intimacy with Cooper before he went to Twin Peaks, and it is that Cooper that she can't see in the Bad Coop. I guess we'll know soon enough. It wouldn't surprise me to have at least one of the Diane/Audrey rape situations turn out to be true, otherwise there is a danger that Bad Coop is a cartoon villain rather than a truly nasty piece of work. (Then again "Bad=Rapist" has become a lazy trope that many have started complaining about).
homieonice
Roadhouse Member

Post by homieonice »

and it keeps getting better ..

heaps on my mind but i'll post about that l8er.

atm i'm just really wondering where p8 will start with!
There they are Albert... Faces of stone!
AgentEcho
RR Diner Member

Post by AgentEcho »

I absolutely love the hallway scene with the charcoal specter. I mean, it's kind of a trope, but I don't remember it ever being done as effectively as this. Part of it was the buildup from the character appearing mysteriously in part 2. But even though it appeared only fleetingly, I bet almost the entire audience who has been with the show since then recognized it when all you could see was an unfocused blob that could have been anything. And it doesn't become any less effective when the figure comes into focus confirming that it is what we thought it was.

It's interesting that Lt. Knox sees the figure, but it doesn't strike her as particularly odd. She seems more concerned about ending her classified conversation because she realizes she's not alone. Also interesting is the fact that the character is uncredited. This is probably a stretch but I wonder if crediting the actor playing it would give something away. It could also be that they don't want to name it (although they already credited Carel Struycken as ???). Either way it wouldn't surprise me if there is something significant about the fact that the character is uncredited.

I do hope there's nothing to the expository detail dropped by Doc Hayward regarding Bad Coop being in the hospital while Audrey was in a coma. I mean, those details are very specific. And then you have the mystery of Richard Horne's last name.

It's rather curious that so much is revealed in the credits. Besides Richard Horne and some other examples, the only reason most of the audience is wondering how Jacques Renault hasn't risen from the dead is because of the credits. I mean it's not like Walter Olkewicz looks different. He's instantly recognizable. (EDIT: Actually upon rewatch he identifies himself as Jean Micheal when he takes the phone call, but it's a detail most would miss).
Last edited by AgentEcho on Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

Methedrome wrote:I'm gonna need a filter to get through pages upon pages of these zany rape scenarios. Sheesh.

And another one for these bizarre Salem-esque approaches to how everyone is a "lodge denizen". Double sheesh.

Anyways, some thoughts I have not yet seen here.

I thought it was very striking that there were two licensed old songs used this episode.

I can't recall Twin Peaks ever using any older licensed material aside from the new trendy hipster stuff this season.

The first song being of course "GREEN Onions", and the second being "Sleep Walk".

Both songs again playing into the themes of gold, silver and green and of course living inside a dream.

Also someone else sort of mentioned the double reference with Sleep Walk to the post Twin Peaks Madchen Amick performance in the movie Sleepwalkers which this song was largely featured.
Dave Brubeck's Take Five was used during the Dougie Coop breakfast scene in part 4.