Part 7 - There's a body all right (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

docLEXfisti
Roadhouse Member

Re: Part 7 - There's a body all right (SPOILERS)

Post by docLEXfisti »

Unfortunately SkyTicket took a day longer to put up the episode, so I just watched it now.

I am constantly so amazed of this show, it gets better with each episode - I never would have dared to think it could be as good as the original, but it already is.

.) Love Laura Dern as Diane, but I hate the wig. Seems to me Boopers visit to her house wasn't that pleasant (maybe it wasn't rape but she was in love with him, and though that was their "special" night, it turned out quite differently)...
.) Major Briggs: so he should be in his 70's, but his body is in the 40's. Killed 30 years ago and then got frozen? Is that a possible theory or would an autopsy show that?
.) Dougie scenes keep growing on me, but the ultra-cheap karate chop sounds (twice!) during the assault were really horrible, destroyed a wonderful scene in my opinion.
.) Boopers escape: why is Ray smiling and looking happy? He will be dead soon... and they did turn off all cameras, wonder how they will explain that "escape".
.) Truman scene was very good, loved that monitor bit - priceless.
.) sweeping scene was a disgrace, Lynch really must hate us at times... hahahaha - now I will give you a few minutes of sexy sweepin'
.) Gordon Cole whistling ("Engel" from Rammstein?) scene was awesome, interrupted by a loud Albert - had a good laugh.
.) Tammy Preston is nice, wonder why so many people hate her - just because she's gorgeous? Y'know, there are gorgeous AND intelligent women out there... don't like her man-hands though ;)
.) Naomi Watts is incredible - first her scene in EP6 and now EP7 - she sure is a gal who can stand up for herself and her husband. Still baffled nobody asks why Dougie is behaving this strange...
.) Doc Hayward: heart-breaking, seeing him in this. Wonderful moment. Also interesting, was that a hint of Booper paying an unorthodox visit to comatose Audrey? Hello origin of Horne kid?
.) What was with the out-greying circle in the CSI scene? Why the non-subtile hint to know where to look?
.) Humming scene in Great Northern was awesome - first I thought of the electricity, but then I thought it was Josie. Was disappointed NOT to see her face in the wood at the last camera movement
.) Ashley Judd aged very well, feels so taken back... until her last scene with her husband - boy was there a temper within seconds ;)

Can't wait for the nex EP - so pumped!
DeepBlueSeed
RR Diner Member

Post by DeepBlueSeed »

The Grey Lodge wrote:My feeling is that BadCoop did NOT assault Audrey while she was in a coma. My reasoning is that BOB - and other malevolent Black Lodge spirits - feed on fear, pain and sorrow. Assaulting a comatose Audrey wouldn't torment her and produce the required Garmonbozia. Part of the joy BOB gets from terrorizing his victims is for that person to be cognitive and powerless to do anything about it. Assaulting Audrey while she's unaware wouldn't be his style.
Of course this relies on Bad Coop being more BOB and less Coop's doppelgänger. If he's reflective of Cooper's darker impulses rather than BOB's need to provoke fear and pain then he'd absolutely attempt to attack Audrey. A better argument for Coop not raping a comatose Audrey, I think, is that he'd probably not get much opportunity. I imagine coma victims are fairly closely monitored. Doc Hayward last saw Coop wandering into Intensive Care, where Audrey was - it might've been to see Audrey, but that might be a red herring. Might he have been looking for the nurse that took the ring in the Missing Pieces?
"The stories that I wanna tell you about... "
DeepBlueSeed
RR Diner Member

Post by DeepBlueSeed »

Mr. Jackpots wrote: When Diane encountered Bad Dale she yelled at him to "look at me". And Bad Dale had a strange empty look about his face. Which seemed to make Diane believe that this was not Cooper in front of her. Also Dales face has done some shape-shifting in the mirror.
I know none of the character's have mentioned it, but I think I read somewhere that Kyle, as Bad Coop, has black contacts in. I don't remember him having black contacts in the season 2 finale, so it's almost as if Bad Coop was a lot more able to act like Good Coop closer to the time Good Coop had a life in the real world. As Bad Coop has had to carve out his own life, rather than an imitation one (and, with BOB in tow), I'm guessing he's changed significantly. But it may have started with the eyes.
DeepBlueSeed
RR Diner Member

Post by DeepBlueSeed »

AgentEcho wrote:I absolutely love the hallway scene with the charcoal specter. I mean, it's kind of a trope, but I don't remember it ever being done as effectively as this. Part of it was the buildup from the character appearing mysteriously in part 2. But even though it appeared only fleetingly, I bet almost the entire audience who has been with the show since then recognized it when all you could see was an unfocused blob that could have been anything. And it doesn't become any less effective when the figure comes into focus confirming that it is what we thought it was.

It's interesting that Lt. Knox sees the figure, but it doesn't strike her as particularly odd. She seems more concerned about ending her classified conversation because she realizes she's not alone. Also interesting is the fact that the character is uncredited. This is probably a stretch but I wonder if crediting the actor playing it would give something away. It could also be that they don't want to name it (although they already credited Carel Struycken as ???). Either way it wouldn't surprise me if there is something significant about the fact that the character is uncredited.
Some details about the actor (following his briefer appearance in episode 2) here: http://www.davidlynch.it/twin-peaks-who ... n-in-jail/
DeepBlueSeed
RR Diner Member

Post by DeepBlueSeed »

docLEXfisti wrote: .) Boopers escape: why is Ray smiling and looking happy? He will be dead soon... and they did turn off all cameras, wonder how they will explain that "escape".
There's no reason he would know that though. I suspect he still thinks he's got one up on Bad Coop, not realising that the other people he was working with - in that diner scene with Bad Coop - are now dead.
docLEXfisti wrote: .) Tammy Preston is nice, wonder why so many people hate her - just because she's gorgeous? Y'know, there are gorgeous AND intelligent women out there... don't like her man-hands though ;)
I suspect it's that silly walk. I don't know if that's something Lynch tells some of his female stars to do, as the lady who works at Lucky 7 also had a slight wiggle, but in TP's case it's over the top and distracting. I think her sitting down scenes have probably been her best, if only for that reason. :-)
eyeboogers
Great Northern Member

Post by eyeboogers »

DeepBlueSeed wrote:
The Grey Lodge wrote:A better argument for Coop not raping a comatose Audrey, I think, is that he'd probably not get much opportunity. I imagine coma victims are fairly closely monitored.
That did not work well for Ronette Pulaski, as I recall.
docLEXfisti
Roadhouse Member

Post by docLEXfisti »

stoooolen. Loved Dougie.
MoondogJR
RR Diner Member

Post by MoondogJR »

Didn't see it mentioned yet (but only read up until page 20 or so) and of course a minor detail inthis absolutely stunning part:

but the interviews after the DougieCoop/Ike The Spike encounter would have been a great moment for a quick Mark Frost as Cyril Pons cameo :)
"Your log and I are on the same page."
Trudy Chelgren
RR Diner Member

Post by Trudy Chelgren »

Damn, I needed that scene with Andy. I always felt that Andy changed dramatically after the Pilot. He was tough in my eyes, almost quietly intense with Bobby at the High School and at the Palmer house. And yet, he took his work home with him; he couldn't keep from breaking down during the Laura Palmer case. I loved that duality, to see a hyper-sensitive cop, among people like Harry and Hawk. It made him really compelling to me. I enjoyed some of his comedy too, but in becoming broader, and arguably funnier, he lost that subtle imbalance I liked so much.

Seeing him talking clearly and strongly to the owner of the truck was so welcome for me. I had feared he was going to be stretched very thin, but that scene helped me believe in him a little more.

Still have no idea why he set up that meeting at 4:30 on the logging road though, doesn't seem like 'police procedure'. To protect a witness, or someone who knows more about whats going on? He should go to the Sheriff Dept.
musicaddict
RR Diner Member

Post by musicaddict »

docLEXfisti wrote:Unfortunately SkyTicket took a day longer to put up the episode, so I just watched it now.

I
.) Tammy Preston is nice, wonder why so many people hate her - just because she's gorgeous? Y'know, there are gorgeous AND intelligent women out there.
.)
Why is anyone trying to make Tammy/Chrysta happen? Her acting is wooden and bad and not in the she-was-directed-by-David-Lynch-to-act-that-way kind of way. Sorry she is just plain terrible and distracting in every scene.
Coffee
Roadhouse Member

Post by Coffee »

musicaddict wrote:
docLEXfisti wrote:Unfortunately SkyTicket took a day longer to put up the episode, so I just watched it now.

I
.) Tammy Preston is nice, wonder why so many people hate her - just because she's gorgeous? Y'know, there are gorgeous AND intelligent women out there.
.)
Why is anyone trying to make Tammy/Chrysta happen? Her acting is wooden and bad and not in the she-was-directed-by-David-Lynch-to-act-that-way kind of way. Sorry she is just plain terrible and distracting in every scene.
Not had a single issue with her performance so far. She's an uptight newbie FBI agent - her performance works for me...
guildnavigator
RR Diner Member

Post by guildnavigator »

guildnavigator wrote:Riley Lynch's line at the end seemed improvised.

Notice he leaves the diner from the back left side of the screen later during the credit sequence.

(I believe there's a door on the back side of the diner towards that corner, also.)

All of the speculation on this added up makes me think that they were doing a night shot inside the diner for pickup shots or specifically for the end credits of an episode, and Riley ran by and screamed that line as an improvisation. The fact that he's suddenly inside the diner after the edit happens and the other customers all change just feels like he was hanging out that night and that the edit/his presence was unimportant and improvised.

In my humble opinion
Wonderful & Strange
Great Northern Member

Post by Wonderful & Strange »

Love Chrysta Bell/Agent Preston.

Even if you don't love her too, the hate and piling up on her is borderline bullying, and pretty disgusting, imo.

There are a couple of Youtube shows I'm considering quitting because of non-stop hate. So immature and many of the remarks remind me of high school sexism.
Member of the Agent Tammy Preston Defense Lodge
WhiteLodge90
RR Diner Member
Location: You're on the path. you don't need to know where it leads. just follow.

Post by WhiteLodge90 »

Jerry Horne wrote:Seems pretty clear that Coop assaulted Diane. What was the first thing that Cole said they didn't need to discuss?
My first guess was "blue rose"
The milk will get cool on you pretty soon.
bosguy1981
Great Northern Member

Post by bosguy1981 »

I think the writers not mentioning "she's Norma's sister" when they bring up Annie is probably just because that scene already had way too much backstory and history and names in the scene (especially for new viewers). So if they don't really NEED to bring Norma's name into it (and they don't), seems like they wouldn't bring it up.

Otherwise it would sort of turn into that scene with Hank and Hank's brother Chip and Harvey... a lot of names to keep up with. :D