Part 7 - There's a body all right (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Agent327
Roadhouse Member

Re: Part 7 - There's a body all right (SPOILERS)

Post by Agent327 »

Jerry Horne wrote:Seems pretty clear that Coop assaulted Diane.
I think that is extremely unclear, if not very unlikely.

She doesn't seem to treat Bad Coop any differently than any other person she has contact with, and only goes into shock as she realizes he is acting off during her questioning.

Certainly doesn't act like someone who was sexually assaulted by the guy. Why would she be surprised by his 'lack of heart' and un-Cooperish vibes during the questioning, if she had already been assaulted by him? Instead, we see that there is clearly a realization happening.

When she is asking this potentially 'fake/criminal' Coop to place the last time they saw each other on a timeline, she is doing it to see if he even knows, and that question only makes sense if she's pretty sure that she had been with the real Coop back then.

The way she talks about the last time they saw each other, doesn't sound like an assault took place at all to me. Much more like a romantic thing with good Coop that may or may not have worked out, hinted at unresolved business on that front. It doesn't even need to be of romantic nature, but could also simply be some kind of unresolved
interaction between them.

It surprises me just how many people assume with confidence that Bad Coop assaulted/raped her. I would love to see a good case for that presented.
Last edited by Agent327 on Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
MySocksAreOnFire!

Post by MySocksAreOnFire! »

When I heard the humming at the hotel I thought of Josie straight away.

When the camera zoomed into the wall I was waiting for Josie's head to pop out!
Wonderful & Strange
Great Northern Member

Post by Wonderful & Strange »

It's reasonable for people to be offended when critiques of someone's acting regularly pounce into attacks on a person.

If you don't have a problem with that kind of behavior, you should be offended.
Member of the Agent Tammy Preston Defense Lodge
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

bosguy1981 wrote:I think the writers not mentioning "she's Norma's sister" when they bring up Annie is probably just because that scene already had way too much backstory and history and names in the scene (especially for new viewers). So if they don't really NEED to bring Norma's name into it (and they don't), seems like they wouldn't bring it up.

Otherwise it would sort of turn into that scene with Hank and Hank's brother Chip and Harvey... a lot of names to keep up with. :D
Seems like pretty sloppy attitude to me, if that's the case. Would like the writers/showrunners to show a little more respect for the series' narrative history (and the old viewers)... New viewers can always look it up, it's not like the original material is unavailable at this point. And if anyone's watching this show without prior knowledge - even though the fact that it's a continuation of the 25+ years old show was practically the only selling point ever since the announcement -, I wonder why he's bothering, frankly.
future's past

Post by future's past »

Agent327 wrote:

She doesn't seem to treat Bad Coop any differently than any other person she has contact with, and only goes into shock as she realizes he is acting off during her questioning.

Certainly doesn't act like someone who was sexually assaulted by the guy. Why would she be surprised by his 'lack of heart' and un-Cooperish vibes during the questioning, if she had already been assaulted by him? Instead, we see that there is clearly a realization happening.

When she is asking this potentially 'fake/criminal' Coop to place the last time they saw each other on a timeline, she is doing it to see if he even knows, and that question only makes sense if she's pretty sure that she had been with the real Coop back then.

The way she talks about the last time they saw each other, doesn't sound like an assault took place at all to me. Much more like a romantic thing with good Coop that may or may not have worked out, hinted at unresolved business on that front. It doesn't even need to be of romantic nature, but could also simply be some kind of unresolved

It surprises me just how many people assume with confidence that Bad Coop assaulted/raped her. I would love to see a good case for that presented.

Seemed pretty clear to me too that there was some serious violation of Diane, most likely sexual assault. She was very upset, and I think her purposefully bringing up 'that night' was addressing that crime. His composed response likely more disturbing to her. Then when she talks to Gordon, it seems like he knows something violent happened ('is there something I should know etc'). Seems like she's not ready to tell yet, like many rape victims, but perhaps she will one day.

I found Gordon's holding back on embracing Diane moving. DKL is indeed acting his socks off.

Obviously, I don't know this, but I find it fascinating how we can all have such different views having seen the same thing. Guess that's art!

Re Tammy.... She has a certain campness to her, which I think may appeal to gay men, but I need to see more before I make up my mind. Not convinced yet.
Firewalkwithme91
Roadhouse Member

Post by Firewalkwithme91 »

Coffee wrote:
musicaddict wrote:
docLEXfisti wrote:Unfortunately SkyTicket took a day longer to put up the episode, so I just watched it now.

I
.) Tammy Preston is nice, wonder why so many people hate her - just because she's gorgeous? Y'know, there are gorgeous AND intelligent women out there.
.)
Why is anyone trying to make Tammy/Chrysta happen? Her acting is wooden and bad and not in the she-was-directed-by-David-Lynch-to-act-that-way kind of way. Sorry she is just plain terrible and distracting in every scene.
Not had a single issue with her performance so far. She's an uptight newbie FBI agent - her performance works for me...
Same here. I hate it when people take cheap shots at actors all the time. That´s actually the reason why I don´t listen to a lot of Peaks podcasts that spend their time whining and making fun of Chrysta Bell. If you don´t like it, fine but why do you have to time and time again mention it with other people chiming in. It´s like being back in highschool. Just ugly behaviour.
beyondthesea

Post by beyondthesea »

I've enjoyed every scene with Tammy Preston in. That's not necessarily a reflection of her acting capabilities, but all the same, I like her role, and she has been in lots of great scenes. Someone mentioned Clarice Starling in relation to the Diane/Cooper scene, it kind of made me think about Tammy and how she shows (albeit a different sort) naivety that CS showed. It's working for me, and I like it up the rear.

Also, I noticed people were wondering what Cooper was mouthing before he got attacked by Ike. He is saying 'Jack............pot'. Janey-E had just said the word to him. He is repeating it. I don't know if there is any significance in him breaking it up into two.

I'm fairly sure Badcoop raped Diane. I'm not sure what else he could have done that has seemingly been the cause for her to be the way she is.

What I found particularly interesting (and nostalgic) about that scene was the way she asked Badcoop 'Who are you?'. Straight outta fire walk with me Laura/Bob. She almost seemed to be looking for his face to change, at least that's my take on it, so it wouldn't surprise me if she had witnessed the change before.
dronerstone
RR Diner Member

Post by dronerstone »

beyondthesea wrote:
I'm fairly sure Badcoop raped Diane. I'm not sure what else he could have done that has seemingly been the cause for her to be the way she is.
Make her fall in love and show his love for her too - and then totally ghost on her like today's kids do.

I guess rape woulda been even worse - and she seems to just be like "do you remember that night?"
If there was rape involved, I guess she wouldn't be able to confront him like that.

Plus, her repeated use of "FUCK YOu" to whomever she crosses, says a lot. She probably felt Coop said "fuck you" to her after he quit sending tapes from Twin Peaks and never ever got back to her.
Last edited by dronerstone on Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Northman
Roadhouse Member

Post by Northman »

the big reveal:
we have now seen that the twin peaks stuff, the dougie story and the bad coop/cole story is happening at the same time in the same physical reality/world. The great northern key was the final piece of evidence.
dronerstone
RR Diner Member

Post by dronerstone »

Northman wrote:the big reveal:
we have now seen that the twin peaks stuff, the dougie story and the bad coop/cole story is happening at the same time in the same physical reality/world. The great northern key was the final piece of evidence.
Has been pointed out before, but YES! I'm certainly happy about that.
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

dronerstone wrote:
beyondthesea wrote:
Make her fall in love and show his love for her too - and then totally ghost on her like today's kids do.

I guess rape woulda been even worse - and she seems to just be like "do you remember that night?"
If there was rape involved, I guess she wouldn't be able to confront him like that.

Plus, her repeated use of "FUCK YOu" to whomever she crosses, says a lot. She probably felt Coop said "fuck you" to her after he quit sending tapes from Twin Peaks and never ever got back to her.
Yes, I think that simply spending a night with Coop, whom she had most likely always had a flirtatious, loving relationship with, and then Coop disappearing without a word - and Diane knowing that it might be because of Blue Rose FBI work - would be enough to make her this bitter. I'm not ruling out an assault, or that the evening turned a little rough, but my first thought was just that they spent a night together and then he left her.
mujubuju
Roadhouse Member

Post by mujubuju »

future's past wrote:
Agent327 wrote:

Seemed pretty clear to me too that there was some serious violation of Diane, most likely sexual assault. She was very upset, and I think her purposefully bringing up 'that night' was addressing that crime. His composed response likely more disturbing to her. Then when she talks to Gordon, it seems like he knows something violent happened ('is there something I should know etc'). Seems like she's not ready to tell yet, like many rape victims, but perhaps she will one day.
I agree with you that it's very interesting how many people have interpreted it differently. I think it was pretty clear from her state of nervousness and immediate anger that there was a precedence that had already been set there. I've heard some speculation around "that night" being before Cooper arrived in Twin Peaks, that they'd had an intimate moment of some sort and she felt abandoned, but I don't buy that at all. Doesn't make sense narratively. She was confronting the man who had done something awful to her, and she provided validation this wasn't the same Cooper she'd always known, it was the one who had done something terrible in their last meeting.
beyondthesea

Post by beyondthesea »

dronerstone wrote:
beyondthesea wrote:

I wonder if the 'do you remember that night?' might translate to 'was that even you there?', i.e. it could further back up a theory that she saw a change and was unsure about who she was actually with that night.

Or maybe, like Laura, she was abused by Bob (which could explain the mess she is in) and in mid-assault he revealed himself as Coop?

Whatever the reason, it does kind of seem like Diane had cause to doubt Cooper's credentials even before Gordon and Albert spoke to her. She seems scared. I'm not sure being dumped by someone would cause that.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Agent327 wrote:She doesn't seem to treat Bad Coop any differently than any other person she has contact with, and only goes into shock as she realizes he is acting off during her questioning.
I disagree that she treats Coop the same as everyone else for one reason: when Gordon tells her Coop is in jail, she says "Good." It's one thing to say "fuck you" to former coworkers/acquaintances; it's quite another to coldly express pleasure that her former boss is in jail.
Mairzy
Roadhouse Member

Post by Mairzy »

Evil Coop doesn't even attempt to hide his behaviour to Diane in that scene. It becomes apparent something unsavoury happened to her. I think he knows he is getting out soon, and that the whole FBI visits are just insignificant interludes to his time before he does.