Part 7 - There's a body all right (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

WhiteLodge90
RR Diner Member
Location: You're on the path. you don't need to know where it leads. just follow.

Re: Part 7 - There's a body all right (SPOILERS)

Post by WhiteLodge90 »

homieonice wrote:i'm starting to get a little bit annoyed / tired reading "droolcoop"

this is the real coop mate, he's gone through hell and back and he's all the more heroic for that.

watch what he ends up doing y'll all feel stupid for ever calling him "droolcoop"

he's actually a f badass so far in his mentally incapacitated state - in the office scenes and taking down ike the spike. winning 425k. list goes on.

coop is better than ever this season. wait till you mates realise it.

Really?? He's called DroolCoop because it's a throwback to SeniorDroolcup from the original series who also was a bit unaware of his surroundings. Better than ever? I don't think you'll find a single person out there who would rather have this Cooper to the original. I'm not hating on him but that's just the facts.
The milk will get cool on you pretty soon.
Wonderful & Strange
Great Northern Member

Post by Wonderful & Strange »

homieonice wrote:i'm starting to get a little bit annoyed / tired reading "droolcoop"

this is the real coop mate, he's gone through hell and back and he's all the more heroic for that.

watch what he ends up doing y'll all feel stupid for ever calling him "droolcoop"

he's actually a f badass so far in his mentally incapacitated state - in the office scenes and taking down ike the spike. winning 425k. list goes on.

Much needed post.

Not only is "droolcoop" an insult to Cooper's struggle, but it's an insult to anyone with cognitive challenges.
Member of the Agent Tammy Preston Defense Lodge
WhiteLodge90
RR Diner Member
Location: You're on the path. you don't need to know where it leads. just follow.

Post by WhiteLodge90 »

Wonderful & Strange wrote:

Much needed post.

Not only is "droolcoop" an insult to Cooper's struggle, but it's an insult to anyone with cognitive challenges.

Let's not get all PC now.. Clearly it's a throwback to SeniorDroolCup a nickname given to the waiter in the original by Albert and has since been adapted an endearing nickname for him. Anyone insulted by the nickname needs to loosen the tie a little bit.
Wonderful & Strange
Great Northern Member

Post by Wonderful & Strange »

WhiteLodge90 wrote:

Much needed post.

Let's not get all PC now.. Clearly it's a throwback to SeniorDroolCup a nickname given to the waiter in the original by Albert and has since been adapted an endearing nickname for him. Anyone insulted by the nickname needs to loosen the tie a little bit.
It sounds like you should loosen up because you want me to follow your brand of political correctness (laughing at people with cognitive challenges).

I won't because I don't think jokes about cognitive issues are funny. I've worked with too many people with mental illness.
Member of the Agent Tammy Preston Defense Lodge
tlk

Post by tlk »

Elite flamebait there.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

So does anyone have a sense of where the Tom and Beverly Paige storyline might be going? At first glance it doesn't seem to hold much promise. An attractive assistant Ben is considering sleeping with whose husband is dying of cancer: will it tie in to the larger storyline?
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
WhiteLodge90
RR Diner Member

Post by WhiteLodge90 »

WhiteLodge90 wrote:
Much needed post.

It sounds like you should loosen up because you want me to follow your brand of political correctness (laughing at people with cognitive challenges).

I won't because I don't think jokes about cognitive issues are funny. I've worked with too many people with mental illness.
Guess you weren't a fan of Senior drool cup either then... If that didn't bother you then it sounds a bit hypocritical to me. Was never laughing at people with disabilities. This is more so on the fried mental states of characters for lodge purposes. Big difference.
Last edited by WhiteLodge90 on Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
guildnavigator
RR Diner Member

Post by guildnavigator »

Have you ever studied your hand Tammy Preston?
Cappy
Great Northern Member

Post by Cappy »

mtwentz wrote:So does anyone have a sense of where the Tom and Beverly Paige storyline might be going? At first glance it doesn't seem to hold much promise. An attractive assistant Ben is considering sleeping with whose husband is dying of cancer: will it tie in to the larger storyline?
My wild guess is that Beverly is at the Great Northern as some sort of agent of a clandestine group looking to harness the paranormal energy of Twin Peaks. Maybe Beverly is forced into this against her will, or to pay for her husband's treatment? Either way she seemed unusually high strung and stressed during her argument with Tom. And her lingering silence during her slow exit from Ben's office betrays some sort of subtext that I can't quite figure out...

One thread that hasn't been picked up yet is the mysterious billionaire in NYC funding the glass box experiment. I don't know if Beverly is necessarily related to that, but if there can be a secret society dedicated to fighting evil in Twin Peaks (Bookhouse Boys), then maybe there can be a secret society dedicated to cultivating evil as well.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Cappy wrote:
mtwentz wrote:One thread that hasn't been picked up yet is the mysterious billionaire in NYC funding the glass box experiment. I don't know if Beverly is necessarily related to that, but if there can be a secret society dedicated to fighting evil in Twin Peaks (Bookhouse Boys), then maybe there can be a secret society dedicated to cultivating evil as well.
And if one considers TSHoTP canon, there is definitely at least one such society!
Cappy
Great Northern Member

Post by Cappy »

Also, I found it somewhat unlikely that Beverly had never heard of Laura Palmer before. I get that maybe she is relatively new to Twin Peaks, but Laura's murder is probably one of the only newsworthy events to transpire in that corner of Washington State during the last 50 years. That would be almost like someone saying they didn't know about the OJ Simpson case or something.

It's possible that Beverly sincerely doesn't know, especially considering how reluctant people in town might be to talk about Laura, but I somehow don't buy it.
yaxomoxay
Great Northern Member

Part 7 - There's a body all right (SPOILERS)

Post by yaxomoxay »

WhiteLodge90 wrote:
Much needed post.

Jeez. It's a throwback nickname, and a funny one. He's not a person with a mental illnesses.
He's a Tv character that waited 25 years in a lodge full of evil spirits, then ended up in a box in space with a Tardis-sized pink room with a girl without eyes that killed herself by falling in space and got replaced by a girl identical to one that was in a coma after being raped. Out TV character ended up floating in a box from which a creature killed two young kids, all of this before being born out of a power outlet.

If you want to complain about that do it with Lynch and Frost because THEY created the droolCoop character in a way that is meant to be funny and a target of jokes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
crash_and_burn
Roadhouse Member

Post by crash_and_burn »

DeepBlueSeed wrote:
asquideatingdough wrote:
micpoc wrote: You mean ridiculously amazing, right?
The wooden lever that raises it-hilarious. I laughed out loud on that one.
I love that the Twin Peaks PD has made some great technological advances but, in 25 years, there's been no attempt to fix that loose panel on the toilet door.
Not true, rewatch it, the top corner rivet is missing, yes, yet the two top rivets are new and not painted the same as the rest, evidence that the door was fixed.

However, the top rivet could have popped back out on its own, because, in my experience with rivets, whenever there is synchronicity involved, rivets don't stay in the same place for too long.

Okay?
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

I am hoping you are right and there is more to Beverly than meets the eye. Maybe there are possibilities in that prolonged look she gave Ben as she was leaving. And the fact her husband is dying...it does seem to set up the possibility she could be so desperate for money that she would work for some unsavory characters.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Leacock
Roadhouse Member

Post by Leacock »

Cappy wrote:
... it would be fun if there was an episode that stepped back from the main story a bit, where we follow Laura after being tossed out of the Lodge, flying through a distorted version of her own past before ending up wherever she ends up. You just know she's going to come back into the narrative in a big way, it's just a matter of how/when.
I wish The Return was structured like this. For example, we follow Cooper's return to himself in the first 8 episodes or whatever. Then in the next 8 we follow Laura's return. Eventually they both meet again around episode 16 and then the final two episodes are the climax and resolution.

I really do think Sheryl Lee deserves just as much screen time as Kyle.
Keep in mind just how much people loathed that structure when they tried it with Arrested Development.