Part 7 - There's a body all right (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Annie, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne, Brad D

User avatar
LiAnn
Posts: 31
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2015 6:53 pm

Re: Part 7 - There's a body all right (SPOILERS)

Postby LiAnn » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:51 am

vicksvapor77 wrote:
LiAnn wrote:
I am way more intrigued by what's going on with Shelly's love life than I should be, haha. Hopefully, we'll find out more this week.


I think it's okay to be, they need to develop what's going on in her life beyond the stuff with her daughter, Becky. Hopefully we finally see Bobby and Shelly onscreen together this Sunday before we take a week off!


Great point. Although I've enjoyed most of the scenes with the original TP cast, we haven't exactly learned much about them. What have they been up to for the past 25 years? Are Ed, Norma, and Nadine still stuck in the world's most devastating love triangle? What exactly is Harry sick with? Is Becky Shelly's daughter with Bobby? What happened to Donna, Audrey, and Annie? I know Mark Frost's book will address a lot of these questions, but I'd prefer to see them answered in the show. Hopefully, they will be.
User avatar
Mr. Reindeer
Posts: 2860
Joined: Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:09 pm

Re: Part 7 - There's a body all right (SPOILERS)

Postby Mr. Reindeer » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:52 am

vicksvapor77 wrote:
LiAnn wrote:
vicksvapor77 wrote:
GAH, I just realized, the ring is on her middle finger, not her ring finger! The mystery thickens...


I am way more intrigued by what's going on with Shelly's love life than I should be, haha. Hopefully, we'll find out more this week.


I think it's okay to be, they need to develop what's going on in her life beyond the stuff with her daughter, Becky. Hopefully we finally see Bobby and Shelly onscreen together this Sunday before we take a week off!


I'm kinda hoping Bobby and Shelly aren't still together. THAT would feel kind of fan servicey to me. How many of us married our high school sweethearts? And let's face it, things were pretty rocky between them even on the original show. It feels unrealistic that they would have stayed the course.
User avatar
LiAnn
Posts: 31
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2015 6:53 pm

Re: Part 7 - There's a body all right (SPOILERS)

Postby LiAnn » Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:05 am

Mr. Reindeer wrote:
vicksvapor77 wrote:
LiAnn wrote:
I am way more intrigued by what's going on with Shelly's love life than I should be, haha. Hopefully, we'll find out more this week.


I think it's okay to be, they need to develop what's going on in her life beyond the stuff with her daughter, Becky. Hopefully we finally see Bobby and Shelly onscreen together this Sunday before we take a week off!


I'm kinda hoping Bobby and Shelly aren't still together. THAT would feel kind of fan servicey to me. How many of us married our high school sweethearts? And let's face it, things were pretty rocky between them even on the original show. It feels unrealistic that they would have stayed the course.


I agree with this. I think it would be satisfying, both narratively and for the fans, if Becky were Bobby's daughter, but he and Shelly aren't together anymore.
vicksvapor77
Posts: 582
Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:51 pm

Re: Part 7 - There's a body all right (SPOILERS)

Postby vicksvapor77 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:11 am

Mr. Reindeer wrote:
vicksvapor77 wrote:
LiAnn wrote:
I am way more intrigued by what's going on with Shelly's love life than I should be, haha. Hopefully, we'll find out more this week.


I think it's okay to be, they need to develop what's going on in her life beyond the stuff with her daughter, Becky. Hopefully we finally see Bobby and Shelly onscreen together this Sunday before we take a week off!


I'm kinda hoping Bobby and Shelly aren't still together. THAT would feel kind of fan servicey to me. How many of us married our high school sweethearts? And let's face it, things were pretty rocky between them even on the original show. It feels unrealistic that they would have stayed the course.


I'm pretty sure they're not together now but I think they'll reunite them by season's end. I disagree that it feels fan-servicey. My struggle with the original show was caring about some of the romantic relationships, which really shouldn't have been a struggle with how soap operatic the show was. To me, the couples that had the most chemistry/made the most sense/I was most invested in were: Cooper and Audrey, Andy and Lucy, Ed and Norma and Bobby and Shelly. I think the writers are aware of what worked and what didn't about the old show.

Notice James and Donna are nowhere in sight. No one that I've ever met/talked to cares about/for Truman and Josie, Ben and Catherine or Audrey and John, and most don't care about Cooper and Annie, to give some contrasting examples. I think the main four couples I just named should be touched on and arguably narratively pursued since they were the stand-outs. I even struggled with those four couples at times, so having the payoff 25 years later, that some of them end up together and all of them are dealt with in some way, would help me with the detached or neutral feeling I had during periods of their relationships in the original series run. Just my two cents.
User avatar
oxyboldine
Posts: 51
Joined: Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:05 pm
Contact:

Re: Part 7 - There's a body all right (SPOILERS)

Postby oxyboldine » Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:23 am

Hi everyone! Great episode once again. Lots to do with aging, time, disease and death... in this one. And for the first time since episode 1, the first scene is in Twin Peaks (once again in the woods, episode 1 was with Jacoby and his shovels, here with Jerry). And it goes 10 minutes in Twin Peaks before leaving to another town. It really feels that the show is slowly coming back to Twin Peaks, more and more each episode.

By the way, vicksvapor77 and I, we like to count minutes in Twin Peaks in every episode (stopping at "Starring Kyle MacLachlan"), and so it goes:

Part 1 : 9 min.
Part 2 : 8 min.
Part 3 : 7 min.
Part 4 : 15 min.
Part 5 : 20 min.
Part 6 : 22 min.
Part 7 : 23,5 min.

I guess with Mister C. on the loose, and Cooper "back in action" with Ike the Spike in episode 7, both of the two Coopers will come back to Twin Peaks soon. My theory is that Mister C. will take a visit to Hasting's secretary, Betty... Briggs. Pure theory!

(French poster, I hope my English is correct)
User avatar
DJ Beater
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed May 24, 2017 7:58 pm

Re: Part 7 - There's a body all right (SPOILERS)

Postby DJ Beater » Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:24 am

Agent Earle wrote:
Rudagger wrote:
Agent Earle wrote:
Yeah, right - one of the main guys of this universe changes the name of a character that went under another name before our very eyes and ears, and I'm the sloppy one (I think we can now safely drop the "alternative timeline" theory that some here have clinged on to when confronted with many many many inconsistencies in the book). True, that was the tie-in book, this is the series, but still - it came from the SAME creative team and if that devil-may-care attitude towards previously established facts will eventually prevail in the new series, well, sorry, but that's just S L O P P Y, moreover, it's L A Z Y in my book, I don't care how you justify it. Frankly, what baffles me is that you're apparently okay with that kind of poor work one would expect from some cheap fan fiction (or not even there). And don't give me "TP has always had a checkered history when it came to consistency" routine as an excuse - they had 25 friggin' years to get their act together. Well, or at least 3 or thereabouts years that reportedly took them to write the third season. Didn't watch the old series except for the Pilot and the Finale? Back to the old drawing board, say I.

Who's talking about exposition dump??? A name here and a reference to an event there would hurt no-one, except totally fresh viewers, and I stand by my previous statement that they shouldn't proceed with what's more than clearly marketed as continuation of a franchise without arming themselves with knowledge of what came before. And now that you mention it, I don't see a thing wrong with acknowledging Earle, in fact, I damn well expect it. This new season puts Cooper front and center - how credible can it be without doing justice to the man who was probably the single most important person in his life outside his parents? Or should we just forget he existed just because some fans don't like him? Again, SLOPPY and FAN SERVICE-Y.


You're talking about an exposition dump. You want characters to sit there talking in full specificity events we have already seen simply to get your name drops in. It's funny to see you complain about fan service, when you're begging for it (" I don't see a thing wrong with acknowledging Earle, in fact, I damn well expect it!" .. uh?). Hawk gave a reasonable explanation of the events that happened twenty-five years earlier, and didn't go into a 5 minute explanation of how everyone related to each other .. which feels *right* given that the events were 25 years ago!

It is a continuation, we've seen a pretty staggering amount of connections to the previous work. But, to complain about that it's not going far enough in an episode where we had Doc Hayward talk about the night Coop and Annie came out of the Lodge, Truman briefly talk about Harry, Hawk talk about Laura Palmer's missing diaries, subtle Josie referencing, Diane's role and more? At some point, there's really no pleasing a viewer like you, because unless they include *everything* then they'll always be missing someone's favourite character. And, I guess you're being intentionally hyperbolic, because there are references to far more in The Return than just the pilot and finale (like, seriously?)

And I don't hold anything against any creators for wanting to be given some creative leeway with the mythos of the show, especially since the general consensus is that the series had writing issues in the second season. The broad strokes are all there, and no one wants to be shackled to something they (or someone else on their behalf) wrote 25 years earlier in their career.

And again, I don't see how *this* is cheap "fan-fiction", when your complaint is that the show doesn't go *farther* into referencing it's own past.

I really think the new series might just not be for you, if this stuff is causing problems. And that's alright! We don't have to all like it! But to call them sloppy or lazy? Yikes. Or to have the expectation that every minutiae and character is going to be rolled out in a line-up and name dropped in a single scene, without any thought to how it affects the scene? I wouldn't want to watch that show. *That* is fan fiction writing, and I don't need Hawk to explain that Annie showed up x days after Laura Palmer disappeared, lived at a covenant, slit her wrist, was sisters with Norma, moved to Twin Peaks, knew the kind of bird Harry was talking about, is sisters with Norma, won Miss Twin Peaks blah blah blah. Get to the meat and move on.


I'm really in a spot of trouble here, because I promised to OneEyedJack after his very nice "bonsai" post that I'll shut up about the subject. But since you're continuing to call me on it, I must answer with a reply that I'll try to make as conflictless as possible.

First of all, I never said I was disappointed to not get all the references I'm after in this exact part (no. 7). I agree it was pretty dense exposition-wise, certainly the densest of all the aired parts so far. My initial post which got your reaction was a response to a forum member (don't remember his nickname) who suggested mentioning Annie was Norma's sister could come across as a bit heavy on the new viewers unfamiliar with the original plot - I made a point (by which I still stand) that writers of what's supposed to be a continuation shouldn't be concerned with the new viewers when the previous material is readily available to watch any way and time that they chose. And I certainly don't think Hawk mentioning Annie's relation to Norma would mean he'd then have to launch on a 5 minutes-long tirade about everything that happened in the last third of the second season; Norma's in the new show, she's a well-known town resident and hearing that she is a sister of "the girl who went into the Black Lodge with Cooper" wouldn't require of a viewer to be a rocket scientist to get it. It would, however, be a nice touch (that would take maybe 5 seconds worth of running time) that would show us the creators care enough to connect some of the little details when the scene is practically screaming at them to do so.
Unless, of course, they have another idea, the one which goes towards simply erasing those aspects of the show's history they retrospectively feel are redundant or badly made, in short, towards retconing. Frost's book seems to suggest as much, though I agree with LateReg who says it's still a bit early to make definite conclusions in that regard. Here's where we differ, I guess, and in a crucial way: you think it's fine for the creator to change previously established facts any way that he chooses just 'cause he feels like it, I take it as a kind of sacrilege that pulls me out of the viewing experience in a way that I don't care for. Who's to say whose view is more valid? I certainly haven't got any pretensions to do so, I'm merely expressing my own fears and worries in regards to what we're watching. You can argue that it's premature to fret and worry, but I wouldn't say I'm the only member of the forum who's talking about things from the new series before it's concluded, making predictions of what's to come and expressing his fears and wishes in regards to what the future may bring. If you'd pay closer attention to what I said, you'd notice a lot of it (including the part about sloppiness and laziness that so stirred your juices) was conditional; namely, there's 11 hours of the show (and a book) left, so I'm giving the creators the full benefit of the doubt to include the aspects of the universe that are important to me. If they are less important or unimportant to you, hey, I'm glad it's working out for you so far and that it'll probably continue to do so; but I don't see why I should be the one justifying my preferences to you or anyone else here who doesn't share what he hates and what he loves about the old and the new show with me.

Regarding the fan service and Windom Earle. I think it's practically scientifically established fact that about 80-90 percent of fans detest the character (and that Lynch has been said to, though I've yet to hear his quote on the subject); so, I don't see how mentioning (I can't stress this enough: I'm well aware the Earle stuff was satisfyingly resolved in the Finale and I don't expect him to get a whole new story arc this time around, not even as a Black Lodge inhabitant; I'd settle for a lousy mention) a character who was the driving force of the entire third of the original show but is universally loathed could be interpreted as a fan service - I do see how avoiding him like the plague could be, though. And here's another big difference between the two of us: if they go the latter route, I will take that as weak credibility of what they're trying to achieve with the third season, namely thoroughly exploring Cooper's state and possibly resolving his story altogether. Here's a guy who was his professional mentor, who murdered the woman he loved (which also happened to be the guy's wife), who showed up in Peaks to get his revenge and in so doing not only destroyed Cooper's second romance but caused his downfall, though by forces beyond his control - he's the main reason Cooper is the way he is now! Now, you tell me, is it credible that this character should be completely ignored when talking about Cooper's fate and about what happened to him? Not in the light of someone as marginal a character as Denise Bryson getting her own scene and not in the light of the fact that the guy had ample history with Gordon Cole and Albert Rosenfield as well, both hugely important players in the new season.

Regarding my accusation that the creators only watched the Pilot and the Finale as they prepared for the new series. It was clearly a caricature and an exaggeration, made to get my point regarding the feared sloppiness across; you're no stranger to both, as you're accusing me of wanting the new show to take hours so that everything that went on before can be verbally repeated for old and new viewers to hear. I'd say there's a pretty big difference between one mention of a name and taking the time to explain everything the person (and other persons in any way connected to him) previously did. Moreover, I was propelled to make the statement about them and the Pilot/Finale by certain remarks from Lynch, given in recent interviews, where he heavily implied the Pilot is practically everything he takes as an accomplished part of the franchise, and where he explicitly said the whole of season two sucks. You may be fine with it but I'm not (I've been carrying that season around with me for 25+ years as one of the most perfect things on television of all times) - again, why should I be the one justifying myself to you? And one other thing: his careless attitude towards other people's work really doesn't do him any services personality-wise. When it comes to the old series, no-one did nothing "on their behalf" - they, Lynch especially, were the ones who actively put themselves in that position and have no-one but themselves to blame if the result wasn't up to their standards. Now, in light of his current statements, it not only looks Lynch agrees with the network in abolishing the show, it looks like he'd do it himself and the suits were ready-made scapegoats for us halfwits who actually wanted it to continue back in '91.

At the end, there wasn't any need for you patronizing tone in your last post. I really don't need an okay from you if I decide I don't like what they're doing this time around.


Not to jump into this exchange to upset anyone but your first post is presenting a case for Mark Frost playing fast and loose with the established events of Twin Peaks. You cite all of the inconsistencies within TSHOTP and I'm not saying you're incorrect because I might just have too much faith in Frost, but the most glaring and obvious mistakes have to do with Annie. If Annie hadn't been mentioned I would be with you in my dissatisfaction but Annie has been mentioned! So they're not retconning her existence and all of the weird alleged mistakes Frost made in TSHOTP have a new light and gives life to the theory that Annie might have been a lodge spirit or something more sinister. The fact you seem upset about, Hawk not mentioning that Norma is Annie's sister, is really off since we know that she was presented that way but if my theory (which I stole from other YouTubers) is correct maybe Annie really isn't Norma's sister. If Frank Truman grew up in Twin Peaks it seems unlikely that he wouldn't know Norma and be familiar with her family. So Hawk saying she's just some girl and that Frank has never heard of her makes me think there's something fishy going on with Annie. Possibly that the Archivist from TSHOTP might have altered the documents about Annie to protect her existence after EvilCoop was out. I could be completely wrong and giving Frost too much credit but he's always come across in interviews as the one who sustained the order of the story. I can't see him making so many mistakes without there being another reason for it. If he spent three years on the book can we really believe that he didn't sit down and rewatch the show once during that period? I believe David would be happy to leave Twin Peaks fans in the dust to tell a new story but Frost has said that it's the fans that have kept it alive until now. If he recognizes that and then made a book that willfully ignores swaths of Season 2 I would be surprised.

As Coop says though: "Have you ever been surprised before?"
User avatar
LiAnn
Posts: 31
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2015 6:53 pm

Re: Part 7 - There's a body all right (SPOILERS)

Postby LiAnn » Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:35 am

vicksvapor77 wrote:
Mr. Reindeer wrote:
I'm kinda hoping Bobby and Shelly aren't still together. THAT would feel kind of fan servicey to me. How many of us married our high school sweethearts? And let's face it, things were pretty rocky between them even on the original show. It feels unrealistic that they would have stayed the course.


I'm pretty sure they're not together now but I think they'll reunite them by season's end. I disagree that it feels fan-servicey. My struggle with the original show was caring about some of the romantic relationships, which really shouldn't have been a struggle with how soap operatic the show was. To me, the couples that had the most chemistry/made the most sense/I was most invested in were: Cooper and Audrey, Andy and Lucy, Ed and Norma and Bobby and Shelly. I think the writers are aware of what worked and what didn't about the old show.

Notice James and Donna are nowhere in sight. No one that I've ever met/talked to cares about/for Truman and Josie, Ben and Catherine or Audrey and John, and most don't care about Cooper and Annie, to give some contrasting examples. I think the main four couples I just named should be touched on and arguably narratively pursued since they were the stand-outs. I even struggled with those four couples at times, so having the payoff 25 years later, that some of them end up together and all of them are dealt with in some way, would help me with the detached or neutral feeling I had during periods of their relationships in the original series run. Just my two cents.


For me, Bobby and Shelly were the standout couple of Twin Peaks. Cooper and Audrey and Ed and Norma had amazing chemistry, but they were always dancing around one another because of forbidden love (Ed and Norma) or narrative inappropriateness/taboo (Cooper and Audrey). Bobby and Shelly were the only couple on Twin Peaks who were more interesting together than they were apart. While James and Donna and Harry and Josie found themselves in elaborative detective/double-cross plots, Bobby and Shelly were always portrayed as an incredibly domestic pairing; their problems were real problems, not dramatic McGuffins, and they were almost always presented as a team. In fact, I don't think any two actors on Twin Peaks had more scenes together (sans other characters) than Mädchen Amick and Dana Ashbrook, which was fine by me. To this day, I think they have some of the finest romantic chemistry I've ever seen on TV. So, yeah... I wouldn't mind seeing them together again.

Also, on a show where long-term relationships and marriages rarely work out, it would be nice to see at least one of the original TP couples go the distance.
vicksvapor77
Posts: 582
Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:51 pm

Re: Part 7 - There's a body all right (SPOILERS)

Postby vicksvapor77 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:40 am

LiAnn wrote:
vicksvapor77 wrote:
Mr. Reindeer wrote:
I'm kinda hoping Bobby and Shelly aren't still together. THAT would feel kind of fan servicey to me. How many of us married our high school sweethearts? And let's face it, things were pretty rocky between them even on the original show. It feels unrealistic that they would have stayed the course.


I'm pretty sure they're not together now but I think they'll reunite them by season's end. I disagree that it feels fan-servicey. My struggle with the original show was caring about some of the romantic relationships, which really shouldn't have been a struggle with how soap operatic the show was. To me, the couples that had the most chemistry/made the most sense/I was most invested in were: Cooper and Audrey, Andy and Lucy, Ed and Norma and Bobby and Shelly. I think the writers are aware of what worked and what didn't about the old show.

Notice James and Donna are nowhere in sight. No one that I've ever met/talked to cares about/for Truman and Josie, Ben and Catherine or Audrey and John, and most don't care about Cooper and Annie, to give some contrasting examples. I think the main four couples I just named should be touched on and arguably narratively pursued since they were the stand-outs. I even struggled with those four couples at times, so having the payoff 25 years later, that some of them end up together and all of them are dealt with in some way, would help me with the detached or neutral feeling I had during periods of their relationships in the original series run. Just my two cents.


For me, Bobby and Shelly were the standout couple of Twin Peaks. Cooper and Audrey and Ed and Norma had amazing chemistry, but they were always dancing around one another because of forbidden love (Ed and Norma) or narrative inappropriateness/taboo (Cooper and Audrey). Bobby and Shelly were the only couple on Twin Peaks who were more interesting together than they were apart. While James and Donna and Harry and Josie found themselves in elaborative detective/double-cross plots, Bobby and Shelly were always portrayed as an incredibly domestic pairing; their problems were real problems, not dramatic McGuffins, and they were almost always presented as a team. In fact, I don't think any two actors on Twin Peaks had more scenes together (sans other characters) than Mädchen Amick and Dana Ashbrook, which was fine by me. To this day, I think they have some of the finest romantic chemistry I've ever seen on TV. So, yeah... I wouldn't mind seeing them together again.

Also, on a show where long-term relationships and marriages rarely work out, it would be nice to see at least one of the original TP couples go the distance.


Well we already know Andy and Lucy did but I agree with you on everything! Well said. :)
Agent Earle
Posts: 936
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:55 am

Re: Part 7 - There's a body all right (SPOILERS)

Postby Agent Earle » Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:40 am

DJ Beater wrote: I could be completely wrong and giving Frost too much credit but he's always come across in interviews as the one who sustained the order of the story. I can't see him making so many mistakes without there being another reason for it. If he spent three years on the book can we really believe that he didn't sit down and rewatch the show once during that period? I believe David would be happy to leave Twin Peaks fans in the dust to tell a new story but Frost has said that it's the fans that have kept it alive until now. If he recognizes that and then made a book that willfully ignores swaths of Season 2 I would be surprised.

As Coop says though: "Have you ever been surprised before?"


That's why I was so disappointed that it was Frost who made an installment of the franchise that contained so many errors - I previously felt we, the "continuity nazis" (as someone on this forum named us :) ), were safe by having him on board with the new show. Of course, I'll take it all back if your theory (or a similar one) proves to be correct, and happily so!
User avatar
Ross
Posts: 2204
Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:04 pm
Contact:

Re: Part 7 - There's a body all right (SPOILERS)

Postby Ross » Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:42 am

I'll be extremely surprised if all the mistakes, inconsistencies and retcons in Frost's book can somehow make sense by the end of the season.
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
User avatar
Cappy
Posts: 472
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:27 am

Re: Part 7 - There's a body all right (SPOILERS)

Postby Cappy » Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:43 am

I hope that Bobby and Shelly are separated, and that Bobby is out to prove to Shelly that he's a responsible and level headed person now. It'd give his character a quest. Although I'm sure he'll get pulled into the mess with his dad's headless body in South Dakota at some point.

I am probably in the minority on this, but I'd like to see James pursue Shelly's friend from the Roadhouse. Just because I'm curious what his character is like now, and to see if he still plays guitar. His character was so sad on the original, it'd be nice to see him get something of a happy ending.
User avatar
LiAnn
Posts: 31
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2015 6:53 pm

Re: Part 7 - There's a body all right (SPOILERS)

Postby LiAnn » Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:47 am

vicksvapor77 wrote:
LiAnn wrote:
For me, Bobby and Shelly were the standout couple of Twin Peaks. Cooper and Audrey and Ed and Norma had amazing chemistry, but they were always dancing around one another because of forbidden love (Ed and Norma) or narrative inappropriateness/taboo (Cooper and Audrey). Bobby and Shelly were the only couple on Twin Peaks who were more interesting together than they were apart. While James and Donna and Harry and Josie found themselves in elaborative detective/double-cross plots, Bobby and Shelly were always portrayed as an incredibly domestic pairing; their problems were real problems, not dramatic McGuffins, and they were almost always presented as a team. In fact, I don't think any two actors on Twin Peaks had more scenes together (sans other characters) than Mädchen Amick and Dana Ashbrook, which was fine by me. To this day, I think they have some of the finest romantic chemistry I've ever seen on TV. So, yeah... I wouldn't mind seeing them together again.

Also, on a show where long-term relationships and marriages rarely work out, it would be nice to see at least one of the original TP couples go the distance.


Well we already know Andy and Lucy did but I agree with you on everything! Well said. :)


Good catch! I always forget about Andy and Lucy (maybe because they were always a no-brainer for me?), but I'm glad they're still together. I never really doubted they would be, but it's nice to be proven right. :D
vicksvapor77
Posts: 582
Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:51 pm

Re: Part 7 - There's a body all right (SPOILERS)

Postby vicksvapor77 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:53 am

LiAnn wrote:
vicksvapor77 wrote:
LiAnn wrote:
For me, Bobby and Shelly were the standout couple of Twin Peaks. Cooper and Audrey and Ed and Norma had amazing chemistry, but they were always dancing around one another because of forbidden love (Ed and Norma) or narrative inappropriateness/taboo (Cooper and Audrey). Bobby and Shelly were the only couple on Twin Peaks who were more interesting together than they were apart. While James and Donna and Harry and Josie found themselves in elaborative detective/double-cross plots, Bobby and Shelly were always portrayed as an incredibly domestic pairing; their problems were real problems, not dramatic McGuffins, and they were almost always presented as a team. In fact, I don't think any two actors on Twin Peaks had more scenes together (sans other characters) than Mädchen Amick and Dana Ashbrook, which was fine by me. To this day, I think they have some of the finest romantic chemistry I've ever seen on TV. So, yeah... I wouldn't mind seeing them together again.

Also, on a show where long-term relationships and marriages rarely work out, it would be nice to see at least one of the original TP couples go the distance.


Well we already know Andy and Lucy did but I agree with you on everything! Well said. :)


Good catch! I always forget about Andy and Lucy (maybe because they were always a no-brainer for me?), but I'm glad they're still together. I never really doubted they would be, but it's nice to be proven right. :D


Absolutely! There is also no doubt in my mind that Ed and Norma will finally get together after all these years but based on Norma and Nadine's last names in the credits, I highly doubt much has changed for the love triangle...yet.
Last edited by vicksvapor77 on Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
LiAnn
Posts: 31
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2015 6:53 pm

Re: Part 7 - There's a body all right (SPOILERS)

Postby LiAnn » Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:53 am

Cappy wrote:I hope that Bobby and Shelly are separated, and that Bobby is out to prove to Shelly that he's a responsible and level headed person now. It'd give his character a quest. Although I'm sure he'll get pulled into the mess with his dad's headless body in South Dakota at some point.

I am probably in the minority on this, but I'd like to see James pursue Shelly's friend from the Roadhouse. Just because I'm curious what his character is like now, and to see if he still plays guitar. His character was so sad on the original, it'd be nice to see him get something of a happy ending.


I could totally get behind Bobby and Shelly being separated (but sharing a child), as it would give them both something to work toward this season. As I said above, Bobby and Shelly work really well for me, so I'd like to see them wind up together, but I agree that it could be really interesting to watch Bobby try and prove himself to Shelly as a changed adult.

I also agree on the James front. Why introduce Renee (and James's interest in her) if you're not going to follow through on it? A lot of people give James a hard time, but I never minded him. Sure, James Marshall isn't the best actor in the world, but his stoic, one-note performance really worked for that character, and I'd like to see how he's changed over the past twenty-five years.
User avatar
Panapaok
Posts: 1001
Joined: Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:07 am

Re: Part 7 - There's a body all right (SPOILERS)

Postby Panapaok » Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:54 am

LiAnn wrote:Although I've enjoyed most of the scenes with the original TP cast, we haven't exactly learned much about them. What have they been up to for the past 25 years? Are Ed, Norma, and Nadine still stuck in the world's most devastating love triangle? What exactly is Harry sick with? Is Becky Shelly's daughter with Bobby? What happened to Donna, Audrey, and Annie? I know Mark Frost's book will address a lot of these questions, but I'd prefer to see them answered in the show. Hopefully, they will be.
I think they're stalling all the Twin Peaks stuff on purpose. They want it to be the focus as we're getting closer to Cooper coming back to town. Las Vegas also moves slowly on purpose because of Coop's current state. I mean, look at the Buckhorn scenes, there's not a single second being wasted, every scene moves the plot forward. I'm sensing that the Buckhorn subplot is reaching a conclusion and the other two will swing into higher gear soon.
This is - excuse me - a damn fine cup of coffee.

Return to “Parts Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 14 guests