Part 7 - There's a body all right (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

sylvia_north
RR Diner Member

Re: Part 7 - There's a body all right (SPOILERS)

Post by sylvia_north »

The first time they go to meet Cooper is clearly Tammy's first introduction to Cooper and Gordon's first inclination that Cooper is back on the scene after being missing. Right?

As far as Diane not reporting a rape, there are a things that fall under rape that don't include a violent assaultand there's lots of reasons not to report it as in, difficult to prove, feeling no one will believe you anyway. Coercion is technically rape but it's not the kind of thing that's taken seriously in a court of law, especially with intimate acquaintances, or if doubts could be cast on her character , or be too traumatic to want to relive publicly etc. and this is why multiple rapists get away with it. Look at Bill Cosby's victims... and it could've been totally consensual but got out of hand freaky/sadistic (also rape if she said no to whatever he was doing, also impossible to prove) or he said something creepy about her past or violated her trust in some other serious way and scared her into this intense state of mind. She may have been intense before who knows, people are usually complicated, but the fact is she's really pissed off and upset now. Has a feeling it's not him in there and did since that night .
Last edited by sylvia_north on Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Too Old to Die Young > TP S03
BigEd
RR Diner Member

Post by BigEd »

Jeez Louise! Diane and Mr. C had an ugly last encounter. Can't we just leave it at that?
sylvia_north
RR Diner Member

Post by sylvia_north »

BigEd wrote:Jeez Louise! Diane and Mr. C had an ugly last encounter. Can't we just leave it at that?
Sorry I don't know how many pages this was being debated for, if that was directed at me. Why on earth would you want to eliminate Heidi's giggle Big Ed? Cheer up. Let's call a rape a rape.

I see the dog leg is just a gangster thing like the horse head in godfather. Not necessary a relationship to the warden. They found the leg when he got arrested. He could've been arrested /incarcerated anywhere. I think he orchestrated this thing about the warden after his arrest
Too Old to Die Young > TP S03
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

I think with the Diane character she was always a "tough cookie" but in the best possible Girl Friday sense, and had complete pride and respect for her job and the FBI, and genuine newly loved and respect Cole, Cooper and Albert. But whatever Mr. C did to her was so heinous and violating and intimate, it completely destroyed her to her core. And most likely there was a misunderstanding and no back up from Cole. She quit on the spot and vowed never to do anything for or speak to the FBI again. What she stood for and was proud of completely betrayed her. To me, just her instinctive recoil from Coles touch indicates her fear of being psychically harmed again.
God, I love this music. Isn't it too dreamy?
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

Audrey Horne wrote:I don't know if the date matters or can help up with the dossier. Except that the person going through it does not have it in the story yet. All the matters in terms of what year it is is that it is twenty five years later, the actual date year is immaterial.

With the Briggs discovery, is there any more weight to Betty on the run with the coordinates actually being Betty Briggs? I think Betty Briggs has been entrusted with vital information.
I just meant that if this is 25 years later, it would presumably be 2014. And if the book directly ties into the series, then the date at the beginning of the book would tell viewers whether or not the dossier was yet found.
sewhite2000
RR Diner Member

Post by sewhite2000 »

I've been reading pages and pages of this Rammstein/Amarcord debate. Vanity Fair, for what it's worth, says it's Rammstein:

http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/201 ... -episode-7
BigEd
RR Diner Member

Post by BigEd »

sylvia_north wrote:
BigEd wrote:Jeez Louise! Diane and Mr. C had an ugly last encounter. Can't we just leave it at that?
Sorry I don't know how many pages this was being debated for, if that was directed at me. Why on earth would you want to eliminate Heidi's giggle Big Ed? Cheer up. Let's call a rape a rape.

I see the dog leg is just a gangster thing like the horse head in godfather. Not necessary a relationship to the warden. They found the leg when he got arrested. He could've been arrested /incarcerated anywhere. I think he orchestrated this thing about the warden after his arrest
Nah, it wasn't directed at anybody specifically. I don't know, and don't need/want (sorry, I couldn't help it) the information regarding whether it was a rape, insult, slap on the face or anything else. I just don't care. They had an interaction that left her pissed off and now (perhaps) glad to know it wasn't the real Dale.

Heidi's giggle is like finger nails on a chalk board for some. It causes me physical discomfort and I would pay to avoid it in the future.

(btw: "rape" and "cheer up" are rarely used in the same discussion) :D
Last edited by BigEd on Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Here Comes That Bob
RR Diner Member

Post by Here Comes That Bob »

I'd say that Amacord would make more sense, since Lynch is known to be a Fellini admirer. Not sure what his connection with Rammstein would be.
sewhite2000
RR Diner Member

Post by sewhite2000 »

Someone on here said Lynch directed a Rammstein video.
Shloogorgh
RR Diner Member

Post by Shloogorgh »

Here Comes That Bob wrote:I'd say that Amacord would make more sense, since Lynch is known to be a Fellini admirer. Not sure what his connection with Rammstein would be.
Lost Highway for one
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Here Comes That Bob wrote:I'd say that Amacord would make more sense, since Lynch is known to be a Fellini admirer. Not sure what his connection with Rammstein would be.
Guessing you haven't seen Lost Highway.
Here Comes That Bob
RR Diner Member

I don't know why're people are so quicky jumping to "rape" theory. It's just too full of holes.
Last edited by Here Comes That Bob on Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sewhite2000
RR Diner Member

Post by sewhite2000 »

Yeah, I can't find confirmation that there's actually a video per se, but the Rammstein song called, I kid you not, "Rammstein", appears in Lost Highway, so Lynch has obviously been familiar with the band for a long time.
Here Comes That Bob
RR Diner Member

Mr. Reindeer wrote:
Guessing you haven't seen Lost Highway.
I've seen it, just forgot about it. Good call .
counterpaul
RR Diner Member

Post by counterpaul »

Audrey Horne wrote:I think with the Diane character she was always a "tough cookie" but in the best possible Girl Friday sense, and had complete pride and respect for her job and the FBI, and genuine newly loved and respect Cole, Cooper and Albert. But whatever Mr. C did to her was so heinous and violating and intimate, it completely destroyed her to her core. And most likely there was a misunderstanding and no back up from Cole. She quit on the spot and vowed never to do anything for or speak to the FBI again. What she stood for and was proud of completely betrayed her. To me, just her instinctive recoil from Coles touch indicates her fear of being psychically harmed again.
Bingo. Thanks, Audrey, this is exactly the post I was trying and failing to compose in my head. We don't know exactly what happened that night--what COOPER did--but it shocked Diane to the core. Looking at the short, one-sided conversation in The Missing Pieces, not to mention all the personal stuff (both serious and jokey) that Coop shared with her via tapes, it's clear Coop and Diane had a playful and extremely intimate relationship. We don't know yet how, but COOPER profoundly violated that. I agree that there is also a strong implication that Cole and the FBI as a whole left her out to dry when she needed their support the most.

Diane's way of dealing with this trauma may not have been the healthiest in the world, but it is exceedingly understandable. Humans rarely deal with severe trauma in particularly healthy ways.

To Agent327, I think dismissing Diane's behavior as simply awful is missing the real drama of these scenes. There's a tremendous amount of subtext here, especially in pretty much every interaction between Diane and Gordon. Gordon is essentially admitting, in his way, that she saw something he missed all those years ago and offering his apology to her and promising to have her back from here on ("That's exactly the way it's gonna be, Diane. You control the curtain and the microphone"). She is telling him (just bringing the coffee and sitting down across from him is huge) that she's willing to entertain accepting his apology, but damn it she's not going to make it easy. After seeing COOPER again, 25 years after the incident that basically destroyed her faith, and confirming what she suspected all those years ago, and seeing that Gordon finally sees it too, there is that absolutely lovely, tender scene outside the prison. It's all in the body language in that scene--the whole story is right there.

Can I just say, I love how Dern handled playing the moment when Diane has to repeat herself ("You and I will have a talk"). There's zero percent comedy there. It's intimate and it's all about communication. All of Dern's work here is wonderful, but there's something really special and revealing in that tiny moment. I just love it.

Seeing Lynch and Dern act together is really something!