Part 7 - There's a body all right (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

sylvia_north
RR Diner Member

Re: Part 7 - There's a body all right (SPOILERS)

Post by sylvia_north »

BigEd wrote:
sylvia_north wrote:Cheer up. Let's call a rape a rape.
(btw: "rape" and "cheer up" are rarely used in the same discussion) :D
I like to think of myself as one of the happy generation

Ok . Maybe he just ran over her cat in her driveway
Too Old to Die Young > TP S03
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

I 100% agree with counterpaul that the FBI -- Cole in particular -- seemingly sided with "Cooper" and screwed Diane over when she reported whatever happened 25 years ago. I think this is the subtext of the "You heard me" exchange with Albert: Albert is slightly bitter about Gordon sending Albert to attempt to atone for Gordon's sins.
Normonaut
Roadhouse Member

Post by Normonaut »

Gordon doesn't know what happened "that night", he says so to her right after the confrontation. Then she says they'll have a talk. He doesn't know.
My guess is there was a sexual assault. The only thing pointing against it is that "shouldn't she have known it wasn't Cooper then? Did she know?"
I don't believe the "she was in love but he dumped her" theory. Yeah heart ache hurts, but it doesn't turn you this cold and make you hateful to everyone who even knows you 25 years later.
There's something more here. Potential sexual assault followed by impregnation?

So far the only arguments I've heard against it comes from "I don't want that to be the case because it makes me feel uncomfortable".
It's uncomfortable for everyone
Agent Cooper. Listen to the sounds.
It is in our house now. It all can not be said aloud now.
Remember 4 - 3 - 0
Richard and Linda. Two birds with one stone.
You are far away.
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

Normonaut wrote:Gordon doesn't know what happened "that night", he says so to her right after the confrontation. Then she says they'll have a talk. He doesn't know.
Indeed. Gordon hears Diane's conversation with Bad Coop and comes straight out and asks if there's there's something he should know about the night she mentioned.

For all we know she up and quit the FBI and refused to discuss anything with anybody about whatever it is that has her so upset.
counterpaul
RR Diner Member

Post by counterpaul »

Normonaut wrote:Gordon doesn't know what happened "that night", he says so to her right after the confrontation. Then she says they'll have a talk. He doesn't know.
True. But I think it's strongly implied that, back when whatever it was happened, it was clear to Gordon that Diane was suffering. Obviously, at the very least, he and Albert were extremely aware of her shift in personality.

The drama that plays out in my head goes something like this: COOPER shows up at Diane's after leaving Twin Peaks and something awful happens; Diane is in shock, probably not quite believing herself what she's experienced, and either she goes directly to Gordon for help, Gordon notices that something is wrong and confronts her, or he and Albert speak to her in the aftermath of Coop's disappearance (as they naturally would) and something comes out in that interaction; Diane doesn't tell them what happened as she's still unable to speak/think about it, but she does (or at least she feels like she does) make it clear that she's terrified and needs help; Gordon either misses it completely or can't bring himself to face what she's implying about Coop; Diane feels abandoned and quits in disgust.

Of course, we don't know the details (yet?), but whether Gordon specifically disbelieved something she told him back then, or it was a genuine misunderstanding and he just missed the signs and is only putting the pieces together now isn't actually that important. Diane felt abandoned/dismissed, and Gordon feels at least partly responsible for it now.
Here Comes That Bob
RR Diner Member

Post by Here Comes That Bob »

What bugs me is why would Diane drop everything and fly to South Dakota with Gordon Cole, who she clearly hates to interview Cooper when the last time she saw him, he assaulted her. Just seems improbable to me .

Also with that, we'd have to assume that Diane had seen Cooper after his Black Lodge experience, which also seems pretty unlikely to me. As even if Cole failed to acknowledge her reports, that would make the chances of Diane helping him even poorer, which I doubt happened.
Normonaut
Roadhouse Member

Re: RE: Re: Part 7 - There's a body all right (SPOILERS)

Post by Normonaut »

Here Comes That Bob wrote:What bugs me is why would Diane drop everything and fly to South Dakota with Gordon Cole, who she clearly hates to interview Cooper when the last time she saw him, he assaulted her. Just seems improbable to me .

Also with that, we'd have to assume that Diane had seen Cooper after his Black Lodge experience, which also seems pretty unlikely to me. As even if Cole failed to acknowledge her reports, that would make the chances of Diane helping him even poorer, which I doubt happened.
Because he's in federal prison (which she repeats) far away from her ("South Dakota", which she repeats). So she knows he's unable to do anything to her. She wants answers, she wants to know why.
Then she hears on the plane that it's not really him, then she notices his "lack of heart" and breaks down, ready to finally talk because she knows for sure that it wasn't Cooper after all.
Agent Cooper. Listen to the sounds.
It is in our house now. It all can not be said aloud now.
Remember 4 - 3 - 0
Richard and Linda. Two birds with one stone.
You are far away.
sewhite2000
RR Diner Member

Post by sewhite2000 »

I have not read My Life My Tapes. Someone on here said that book strongly implies that Cooper and Diane had a night of intimacy before the events of the original show began. That seems like a boundary line Cooper wouldn't have normally crossed, but possibly it was at a time he was emotionally vulnerable and needed to make human contact after the death of Caroline.

Most people on here seem to think Evil Cooper raped Diane. That would have required him to travel to Philadelphia or wherever Diane was and to pass himself off convincingly enough as real Cooper for Diane to let her guard down. We haven't gotten any glimpses of how Evil Cooper's personality has changed over the years. We only know when he first emerged from the Black Lodge, the BOB part of him is giddy about having this new body to control, and that Cooper's behavior is odd when others are around. Jump ahead 25 years, Evil Cooper seems to have evolved into a personality distinct from BOB. Unlike the manic guy who smashed his head into a mirror and presumably just wanted to kill and cause chaos, Evil Cooper now acts with some purpose and forethought and logic. He acknowledges BOB is still with him, but he seems able to control or sublimate BOB in a way Leland never could.

Any rape of Diane by Evil Cooper would have presumably happened very soon after his emergence from the Black Lodge at a time when BOB, it seems logical to me to assume, was mostly or entirely in control.

So, here's what I'm thinking: Diane tells Gordon that there's something missing from Cooper, something inside. This implies that in any sexual encounter they had previously, Diane did not sense this quality to be missing from Cooper. Which makes it hard for me to believe it was Evil Cooper that Diane "got busy" with. I certainly don't want to believe Good Cooper could have raped Diane. I prefer to think if it was Good Cooper and Diane who got together, it was consensual.

But if there was no rape, then what is Diane so bitter about? When told Cooper has been found after a quarter century and is in federal lockup, she replies "Good". If Cooper didn't rape her, why would she have anger directed toward him? Why she's so angry at Gordon and Albert is also confusing to me.

So, I have more questions than answers. Has Diane had any sexual encounters with any Coopers, and if so how many and to what extent were any of them consensual? Given that the new show already has a history of providing connecting details in only the tiniest of amounts, I don't know that these questions will ever be answered. Heck, it's entirely possible that this is all we're going to see of Diane in the new season. Her appearance has kind of had the feel of covering an entire character arc and reached a logical stopping point.
BigEd
RR Diner Member

Post by BigEd »

Normonaut wrote: So far the only arguments I've heard against it comes from "I don't want that to be the case because it makes me feel uncomfortable".
It's uncomfortable for everyone
Which doesn't sound at all like "I just don't care." Maybe you missed my post.
BigEd wrote: I don't know, and don't need/want (sorry, I couldn't help it) the information regarding whether it was a rape, insult, slap on the face or anything else. I just don't care.
counterpaul
RR Diner Member

Post by counterpaul »

Normonaut wrote:
Here Comes That Bob wrote:What bugs me is why would Diane drop everything and fly to South Dakota with Gordon Cole, who she clearly hates to interview Cooper when the last time she saw him, he assaulted her. Just seems improbable to me .

Because he's in federal prison (which she repeats) far away from her ("South Dakota", which she repeats). So she knows he's unable to do anything to her. She wants answers, she wants to know why.
Yes, this was a defining moment in her life that has remained unresolved for 25 years. She wants to go--it's just, it's hard as hell to actually do it.

Also, I think it's completely clear that she doesn't hate Gordon at all. She loves him (and Albert, too) like family. She's angry. She's let anger and bitterness rule the day for a long time, but here's an opportunity to get out of that trap. She needs to confront this horrible thing that has been haunting her.

I don't see why it would be unlikely at all that COOPER would visit her after first leaving Twin Peaks. She's a person that has a lot of access and who trusted Coop implicitly, so if there was anything that COOPER wanted from the FBI before he disappeared, she'd be exactly the person to go to.
BigEd
RR Diner Member

Post by BigEd »

sylvia_north wrote:
BigEd wrote:
sylvia_north wrote:Cheer up. Let's call a rape a rape.
(btw: "rape" and "cheer up" are rarely used in the same discussion) :D
I like to think of myself as one of the happy generation

Ok . Maybe he just ran over her cat in her driveway
Or maybe her dog. We still haven't heard exactly where that dog leg came from.
Here Comes That Bob
RR Diner Member

Post by Here Comes That Bob »

counterpaul wrote:
Normonaut wrote:

Yes, this was a defining moment in her life that has remained unresolved for 25 years. She wants to go--it's just, it's hard as hell to actually do it.

Also, I think it's completely clear that she doesn't hate Gordon at all. She loves him (and Albert, too) like family. She's angry. She's let anger and bitterness rule the day for a long time, but here's an opportunity to get out of that trap. She needs to confront this horrible thing that has been haunting her.

I don't see why it would be unlikely at all that COOPER would visit her after first leaving Twin Peaks. She's a person that has a lot of access and who trusted Coop implicitly, so if there was anything that COOPER wanted from the FBI before he disappeared, she'd be exactly the person to go to.
How does that explain Albert and Cole appearing to be completely oblivious towards what happened to her than? If she was indeed assaulted, they would likely be informed about it, at least IMO.

Also was it specified, when exactly did Diane leave FBI ? Was it directly after Cooper's disappearance?
counterpaul
RR Diner Member

Post by counterpaul »

Here Comes That Bob wrote:
counterpaul wrote:Also, I think it's completely clear that she doesn't hate Gordon at all. She loves him (and Albert, too) like family. She's angry. She's let anger and bitterness rule the day for a long time, but here's an opportunity to get out of that trap. She needs to confront this horrible thing that has been haunting her.

How does that explain Albert and Cole appearing to be completely oblivious towards what happened to her than? If she was indeed assaulted, they would likely be informed about it, at least IMO.
They don't know specifically what happened, but they're also not completely oblivious. They knew Diane extremely well before and after the incident. We don't know yet the chain of events (I have my thoughts, as laid out above--but, of course, I could be dead wrong), but we do know that they witnessed this change in Diane and it's very strongly implied that they've long known it had something to do with Coop.

At this point in the story, all that really matters are the emotional connections between these characters. What seems totally clear to me is that there is tremendous love between Diane and Gordon and Albert. She's family--estranged family, but family none the less. Everything else builds on that foundation.
Also was it specified, when exactly did Diane leave FBI ?
No. It could have been more recent, but all signs point to 25 years ago.
bob_wooler
RR Diner Member

Post by bob_wooler »

Robin Davies wrote:
Metamorphia wrote:Nah, it's definitely not Amarcord. He doesn't whistle the descending part which is what defines the tune.
It sounds to me like Cole is trying to remember how the tune goes. He starts it but then it falls apart with a sort of random twittering. This is what makes me think he's trying and failing to remember the Amarcord theme.
I admit it's a tough call though. We know Lynch likes both Fellini and Rammstein. Is it possible he's noticed they sound similar and is teasing us by missing off the end so us hapless fans argue about which it is? :)
Not gonna say the Armacord or Rammstein theories are wrong, but Tchaikovskys 'Waltz of the Flowers* from the Nutcracker are even more similar in melody than those two. Listen from 1:44 :
bob_wooler
RR Diner Member

Post by bob_wooler »

About the GN key being the reason for the hum; Beverley said the hum started sometime "last week" - days before the key arrived. So, did it first occur at same time Cooper escaped from the Lodge?