Part 7 - There's a body all right (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Re: Part 7 - There's a body all right (SPOILERS)

Post by LateReg »

Here Comes That Bob wrote:
vicksvapor77 wrote:
wxray wrote:The tension between Ben and Beverly was palpable. I really wasn't sure where this scene was going. Ben held up here at just the last moment:

benbev.JPG
I did notice the insane sexual tension, it was fantastic. I like that they're portraying Ben as a person that has tried to do better over the last 25 years and thus far has resisted Beverly. I think he will continue to do so, too. It's interesting though because didn't Frost write most of Ben's dark side back into the book?

We also don't understand Ben and Beverly's place in the larger narrative structure quite yet, aside from Ben getting the old room key.
Is the old room key the same one Jade put in the mail box ?
Yes.
gonetocroatan

Post by gonetocroatan »

something is definitely not right with the order in which we see DougieCoop's scenes. i was suspicious before but the conversation between him and Janey-E right before Ike gets cobra'd convinced me.

when she tells the two hoodlums that there's no way he could pay back $52,000 i figured she was just being clever, however earnest her speech. but WHY, in part 7, would she be so upset about Dougie's gambling leaving them with barely enough money to replace the car even after insurance? its just the two of them, and they both know that there's $400,000 left over. i guess MAYBE she could be saying all that stuff for the benefit of eavesdroppers but it doesn't quite add up.

Nothing adds up, though--that scene directly follows their being questioned about the car that only blew up after being left there when DougieCoop and Jade left right after we meet the guy and before he's Mr Jackpots. also, when Janey-E finds the $425,000 she seems so relieved that they can pay someone or something off, like they've been living under that cloud for awhile. maybe those past 'episodes' of Dougie's that Janey-E is always referring to are scenes that we're seeing with our man Coop in there? for a second i started to think that maybe time was going backwards and that's why it seems like he's always repeating people's last words, but that doesn't work either. guess it'll soon be time for a Part 1-8 rewatch...this show is eating my life :D
Here Comes That Bob
RR Diner Member

Post by Here Comes That Bob »

Electric Tree wrote:I guess Im going to have to go back and rewatch that ending because I thought it was Jerry running into the Double R diner and yelling if anyone had seen Ben
I just rewatched it and the man actually say "anyone seen Bing ? " . It was definitely not Jerry as the man appeared to be lot younger.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

gonetocroatan wrote:something is definitely not right with the order in which we see DougieCoop's scenes. i was suspicious before but the conversation between him and Janey-E right before Ike gets cobra'd convinced me.

when she tells the two hoodlums that there's no way he could pay back $52,000 i figured she was just being clever, however earnest her speech. but WHY, in part 7, would she be so upset about Dougie's gambling leaving them with barely enough money to replace the car even after insurance? its just the two of them, and they both know that there's $400,000 left over. i guess MAYBE she could be saying all that stuff for the benefit of eavesdroppers but it doesn't quite add up.

Nothing adds up, though--that scene directly follows their being questioned about the car that only blew up after being left there when DougieCoop and Jade left right after we meet the guy and before he's Mr Jackpots. also, when Janey-E finds the $425,000 she seems so relieved that they can pay someone or something off, like they've been living under that cloud for awhile. maybe those past 'episodes' of Dougie's that Janey-E is always referring to are scenes that we're seeing with our man Coop in there? for a second i started to think that maybe time was going backwards and that's why it seems like he's always repeating people's last words, but that doesn't work either. guess it'll soon be time for a Part 1-8 rewatch...this show is eating my life :D
I think Janey-E is just frugal and knows that they will need every dime of whatever is leftover from that $425k.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

Electric Tree wrote:I guess Im going to have to go back and rewatch that ending because I thought it was Jerry running into the Double R diner and yelling if anyone had seen Ben
I just rewatched it and the man actually say "anyone seen Bing ? " . It was definitely not Jerry as the man appeared to be lot younger.
Actually it was Lynch's son Riley, playing a character named Bing (see end credits). He appeared in ep 5 as part of the musical group "Trouble". He actually asks if anyone has seen BILLY. Even though the closed captioning mistakenly says BING.
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
Here Comes That Bob
RR Diner Member

Post by Here Comes That Bob »

DeepBlueSeed wrote:
DeepBlueSeed wrote:
I find her attitude pretty consistent with people who've been raped. Many of them feel guilty, or ashamed, or some way responsible, rather than the rapist having committed a crime. Some of them simply think they won't be believed. Would you believe Dale Cooper capable of rape? The opening lines of your argument, that saying "fuck you" is not a little quirk and shows she is genuinely pissed off is, for me, one of the signposts to her having been abused some way. Being told he is in prison, pausing, and then saying "good" in such a cold manner strikes me as someone who feels justice is done. A person who had just been neglected or burned I think would be confused as to why Coop might be in prison, or would laugh it off somehow. Saying "good" in that situation would come across as somewhat psychotic or sociopathic, and I believe Dale always considered her as something of a saint, which seems a significant clash.
But saying "good" after learning that Cooper is in prison could equally easily be interpreted as a sign of resentment and dissapointment in him for being missing for 25 years, not neccessarily as a satisfying reaction. And the thing is that Diane is not the same person she was 25 years ago, she's angry, vulgar and obviously resentful towards everything FBI related. Therefore her reaction to that isn't so unusual.

Another thing that strikes me a bit is that when she ultimately confides in Cole that this is not the Cooper she knew. If she really had an encounter with the Doppelganger, wouldn't she be less suprised and shaken than now ? Wouldn't Albert and Cole have any input in this, especially if she was attacked?

My guess is that the reason for Diane's resentment is of romantic nature and possibly anger towards Gordon for endangering Cooper's life while sending him to investigate Project Blue Rose after disappearance of Chester Desmond and Phillip Jeffries.
I guess we're getting very different readings about that word "good" then. Reacting to the news that he is in prison like that because she is resentful and disappointed strikes me as facile, which I might expect from someone a lot younger, but I wouldn't from the character we're presented with here. I agree that she is probably not the same person she was 25 years ago but, again, I'm not sure why she would be so angry and resentful of the FBI in general given that they were all agents, and all aware of the nature of agency work. Blue Rose, as much as I can tell, isn't any one case or project, but instead a designation for a certain type of case, and I suspect most of them don't lead to disappearances. I don't know though. There's so much NOT said here it's hard to tell. I'm looking forward to the next episode, assuming Diane has the opportunity to have the talk with Cole that she says they'll have, in response to him asking if there's something he should know. The fact that Diane says she has something to talk to him about suggests something a little more traumatic than it being Cooper turning her down, or Cole having sent the man she loved away. But again, all speculation.

I don't think she would have realised she'd met the doppelgänger before. I think the realisation that this is NOT Cooper, that this is someone or something that looks and acts like Cooper but isn't him, is why it's a shock now, and not before. We see a gradual dawning realisation over the episode, through the fingerprints and then the confrontation. When she first sees him he looks significantly different, and I assume that's why she asks for confirmation of when they last met. When he confirms those details, but still seems to be a stranger to her (because he's missing that certain something) she asks who he is, realising for the first time that it really isn't him. And that's when she starts to panic, and breaks down once she's out of there.
Definitely looking forward to the next episode and further exploration of their relationship ! So far I think its one of the most intriguing storylines IMO.
DeepBlueSeed
RR Diner Member

Post by DeepBlueSeed »

Definitely looking forward to the next episode and further exploration of their relationship ! So far I think its one of the most intriguing storylines IMO.
Agreed!
"The stories that I wanna tell you about... "
vicksvapor77
Great Northern Member

Post by vicksvapor77 »

vicksvapor77 wrote:
wxray wrote:The tension between Ben and Beverly was palpable. I really wasn't sure where this scene was going. Ben held up here at just the last moment:

benbev.JPG
I did notice the insane sexual tension, it was fantastic. I like that they're portraying Ben as a person that has tried to do better over the last 25 years and thus far has resisted Beverly. I think he will continue to do so, too. It's interesting though because didn't Frost write most of Ben's dark side back into the book?

We also don't understand Ben and Beverly's place in the larger narrative structure quite yet, aside from Ben getting the old room key.
Is the old room key the same one Jade put in the mail box ?
Yup! That is Ben's only tangible connection to the main plot so far.
somevelvetmorning

Post by somevelvetmorning »

So, could Ike possibly be under control of a spirit? The little girl being interviewed, says that he smelled funny (of scorched oil maybe?). I'm thinking it could be the evil version of the Evolution of the Arm, and that when possessing someone, it is seated in the persons arm or hand, explaining the "squeeze his hand off".
Zachary
Roadhouse Member

Post by Zachary »

Voided wrote:I thought the sweeping scene was pretty intense and probably my favourite so far. You could feel the suspense over whether he would the keep the debris in several small piles or combine them.
Great first post! :lol:
seacow

Post by seacow »

Jerry Horne wrote:I wonder if that farmer's last name is Blodgett?
Silly question but it's killing me, what's the reference here? :p

And speaking of the farmer's name, might it be Billy? Bing looking for him because he never came back out of that house perhaps?

On another note, I strongly believe there's some connection between Jerry, the woods, and Cooper. Almost like Jerry is experiencing events -- possibly the scene with Coop, Janey-E, and Dts. Fusco -- through DougieCoop's eyes but is still (somewhat) aware of himself. Hence, "I think I'm high!" Who knows what it'll mean. Just can't get over his look of enlightenment mixed with perplexion when he says "you say the same thing."

Regardless of all our theories, I'll bet next weeks part will have enough material to keep us talking for the two week wait :lol:
Henrys Hair
RR Diner Member

Post by Henrys Hair »

seacow wrote:
Jerry Horne wrote:I wonder if that farmer's last name is Blodgett?
Silly question but it's killing me, what's the reference here? :p
When Andy cried after Laura Palmer's corpse is found in the pilot episode, Harry reminds him that he'd also cried after the discovery in Mr Blodgett's barn.
PandemoniumSeesaw

Post by PandemoniumSeesaw »

I am sorry, I could not manage to read the whole thread, but has anyone brought up the fact that talking to Tammy on the plane, Cole misquotes DoppelCoop? In the interview episode, DoppelCoop greets Cole with "It's yrev very good to see you again old friend", while Cole quotes "I'm yrev very happy to see you again old friend". Just a continuity error? Any ideas about that?
Apart from this, god I am really enjoying every bit of this new season!
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

PandemoniumSeesaw wrote:I am sorry, I could not manage to read the whole thread, but has anyone brought up the fact that talking to Tammy on the plane, Cole misquotes DoppelCoop? In the interview episode, DoppelCoop greets Cole with "It's yrev very good to see you again old friend", while Cole quotes "I'm yrev very happy to see you again old friend". Just a continuity error? Any ideas about that?
It's been talked about. Some people think its a continuity error and it bothers them. Other people think that it's ok that Cole misremembered the exact line, especially since it doesn't affect the point he was making about the spiritual finger. The "yrev" falls in the same place. Personally, I think misremembering seems realistic, like something we all do from time to time.
Wonderful & Strange
Great Northern Member

Post by Wonderful & Strange »

LateReg wrote:
PandemoniumSeesaw wrote:I am sorry, I could not manage to read the whole thread, but has anyone brought up the fact that talking to Tammy on the plane, Cole misquotes DoppelCoop? In the interview episode, DoppelCoop greets Cole with "It's yrev very good to see you again old friend", while Cole quotes "I'm yrev very happy to see you again old friend". Just a continuity error? Any ideas about that?
It's been talked about. Some people think its a continuity error and it bothers them. Other people think that it's ok that Cole misremembered the exact line, especially since it doesn't affect the point he was making about the spiritual finger. The "yrev" falls in the same place. Personally, I think misremembering seems realistic, like something we all do from time to time.
It's definitely not a continuity error. It's just good, realistic writing. Cole was just framing the sentence towards Tammy.
Member of the Agent Tammy Preston Defense Lodge