Part 7 - There's a body all right (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Andy

Re: Part 7 - There's a body all right (SPOILERS)

Post by Andy »

The idle Ike attack just might be the kind of thing Jacoby, watching news reports from all over the Internet, would pick up on...
-Mr. Jackpots-

Post by -Mr. Jackpots- »

...or Jerry. But who would believe him? :D
Here Comes That Bob
RR Diner Member

Post by Here Comes That Bob »

OrsonWelles wrote:
Here Comes That Bob wrote:- I'm very curious about the entity which walked behind Lieutenant Knox when she was on the phone. I think its the same spooky guy who appeared at the jail cell in PART 1/2. Possible lodge inhabitor ?

- Also did anyone entertain the possibility that Dougie's assassination attempt ending up on the news will be the way for Cole and the FBI to locate and meet with him ? Now that Dougie's fingerprints are all over the crime scene, they could easily compare it to the ones of Cooper and confirm his real identity.
Well, someone posted a picture of the two spooky guys. They seem to be different. This one gives more credence to it being the Log Lady's husband, but don't know why he would appear in Buckhorn, SD.

As for the second one. That is indeed a possibility, along with Dougie Cooper appearing on national news and Cole/Albert/Twin Peaks-residents seeing him on TV (I'd actually prefer that option)
Could you please elaborate on the Log Lady's husband part? I know that he died in a fire hence the burned skin, but I've always had an impression his spirit was supposed to be stuck in a wood, more specifically in Margaret's log in the same manner that Josey appears to be stuck in the walls of Great Northern.
DeepBlueSeed
RR Diner Member

Post by DeepBlueSeed »

eyeboogers wrote:
DeepBlueSeed wrote:Was it definitely on the news? Just considering the fact that 'Dougie' and Janie-E are just talking to cops and, although the witnesses are filmed as if for a news report, I wonder whether it's just a style thing, that they're just being questioned by the cops.

Either way, if they are filmed, it doesn't appear that 'Dougie' and Janie-E were, in which case it'll be difficult to make a connection that way. Coop's finger prints on the gun though, that'd likely get the FBI's attention.
Watch the scene again, the TV crew footage starts with them interviewing Janie-E and Dougie.
I only see them talking to cops. There's a bit of camera shake, so there might be someone from the news tam filming them (and there's already be the sound of a camera shutter by this stage, so the press are definitely there) but it's not quite the same as the 'camera in the face' angle of the other shots.

https://youtu.be/4-u5b4OqZy8?list=PLmLI ... 8wErOAI8M1
"The stories that I wanna tell you about... "
Hercousin
Roadhouse Member

Post by Hercousin »

beyondthesea wrote:I was looking at the wikipedia pages for MIKE and Bob last night. It reminded me that when they worked together that they raped and murdered their victims. Just something else that adds weight to the theory that Diane may have been raped.

I'm still wondering if when whatever did happen with Bad Cooper happened, whether or not she saw bob, just like Laura did when Bob/Leland was raping her. Or if Bob raped Diane and Cooper revealed himself at some point during the ordeal. Rape seems the likely 'ordeal', but I suppose it could be any ordeal.

Also, for those who wonder why she might have kept quiet about it, if indeed she did, the fact that she might have seen bob or cooper change into the other, might have given her further cause to think that no one would believe her story.
This is weird to me, too. Why would Bad Coop let Diane live? She knows too much about the Blue Rose cases and had all his tapes, it seems overkill to visit her just to sexually brutalize her then let her live. Either there's more to this or the doppelganger made a mistake.
Here Comes That Bob
RR Diner Member

Now that I've rewatched the opening scene, I think there might be something of theory that Jerry actually accidentaly went to the White Lodge. His mannerism really mirrored Major Briggs after he was taken to white lodge in the originals. Both were completely disoriented and suffered a memory loss. The question is what was Jerry really doing in the woods and what happened to his car?

I think he was actually shown once spending time in the woods and watching Jacoby's show.
Here Comes That Bob
RR Diner Member

Hercousin wrote:
beyondthesea wrote:I was looking at the wikipedia pages for MIKE and Bob last night. It reminded me that when they worked together that they raped and murdered their victims. Just something else that adds weight to the theory that Diane may have been raped.

I'm still wondering if when whatever did happen with Bad Cooper happened, whether or not she saw bob, just like Laura did when Bob/Leland was raping her. Or if Bob raped Diane and Cooper revealed himself at some point during the ordeal. Rape seems the likely 'ordeal', but I suppose it could be any ordeal.

Also, for those who wonder why she might have kept quiet about it, if indeed she did, the fact that she might have seen bob or cooper change into the other, might have given her further cause to think that no one would believe her story.
This is weird to me, too. Why would Bad Coop let Diane live? She knows too much about the Blue Rose cases and had all his tapes, it seems overkill to visit her just to sexually brutalize her then let her live. Either there's more to this or the doppelganger made a mistake.
That's what I was wondering as well. My first thought is that he may have let her live in order to permanently generate garmonbozia out of her. If he killed her instantly he wouldn't benefit at all, but by letting her live he could constantly feed of her fear and suffering. Dunno how plausible this is though.
DeepBlueSeed
RR Diner Member

Post by DeepBlueSeed »

Hercousin wrote:

My initial thought is: It's Cooper. He has feelings for her, however twisted.

My counterpoint is that he is actually revelling in the pain and sorrow it causes her. Her pain and sorrow, in theory affects all relationships she has with people from that point on, for 25 years - okay, yes, some seem pleasant enough, but at the same time she's quick with the "FU"s.

I don't know about the Blue Rose cases and the tapes. Maybe he DID destroy the tapes. Maybe he doesn't think they had anything of value on them. Maybe, from what BOB knows about the Black Lodge, the FBI have barely scratched the surface, and he's mocking her/them. But that's a very good point I'd not thought about. We really don't know ANYTHING that happened that night.
Coopergänger

Post by Coopergänger »

Am I the only one who sees just for a sec a small floating light at the woods on the Jerry opening?

On the first shot of the woods, near the center of the frame...

Could be just an insect, glowing on a sun beam... but remembers me a lot to this kind of light Coop sees over Tom Sizemore's face...
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

Most likely the Ike attack was done narratively in a public place for it to lead to the next piece of the story -public awareness of Cooper. if it was just about Cooper momentarily snapping out of it and showing his instinctive reflexes, the Ike attack could have been in an alleyway, or a secluded area. Like the Audrey comment from Hayward most likely propels a story point between her and Cooper.
God, I love this music. Isn't it too dreamy?
DeepBlueSeed
RR Diner Member

Post by DeepBlueSeed »

Audrey Horne wrote:Most likely the Ike attack was done narratively in a public place for it to lead to the next piece of the story -public awareness of Cooper. if it was just about Cooper momentarily snapping out of it and showing his instinctive reflexes, the Ike attack could have been in an alleyway, or a secluded area. Like the Audrey comment from Hayward most likely propels a story point between her and Cooper.
Good point. Makes perfect sense.
thedarktrees
Roadhouse Member

Post by thedarktrees »

DeepBlueSeed wrote:
Audrey Horne wrote:Most likely the Ike attack was done narratively in a public place for it to lead to the next piece of the story -public awareness of Cooper. if it was just about Cooper momentarily snapping out of it and showing his instinctive reflexes, the Ike attack could have been in an alleyway, or a secluded area. Like the Audrey comment from Hayward most likely propels a story point between her and Cooper.
Good point. Makes perfect sense.
Yeah I think it's pointing that way. I'm still not convinced that it will be through someone recognizing Coop on TV (as much as I'd love to see a scene like that). It's really not clear that the witness interviews are with the media.

But: the other thing it does is set up a police trail leading to Dougie. Police looking into the Ike the Spike will eventually connect the dots and tie things together. One way or the other, Dougie/Coop is now on peoples' radar.
Cappy
Great Northern Member

Post by Cappy »

It would be really interesting if even with the key going back to the Great Northern, and people seeing Dougie on television, he was still somehow trapped in a dream of DoppelCoop's. Maybe the physical key going out, along with television broadcasts, were Good Coop's way of calling out for help.
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

to me it's pretty clear - based on the convention of how news interviews are typically done in this manner in tv and film - showing the shaky video quality of real life juxtaposed to the smooth film of the story. The people are being interviewed -and not just interviewed -they're the snippet, sound bytes that makes the aired news.
God, I love this music. Isn't it too dreamy?
Cappy
Great Northern Member

Post by Cappy »

Oh I agree. I'm fairly certain that DougieCoop is out in the real world, or the same world as most of the other characters anyway. I just think it'd be interesting if we found out that this was not the case. I totally agree about the look of the news/media coverage though. It looks too 'real' to just be some elaborate psychological construct.

There is just something kind of appealing about the concept of a hotel room key that unlocks someone's subconscious, and in that subconsciousness is a child like version of the person (DougieCoop). It's rare/difficult for a person to be able to access that most primal, unformed part of their psyche, but the notion that opening up that part of the mind can be simply done with just the right key is exciting to me.